PDA

View Full Version : Got any duct tape?

Codrum
01-06-05, 04:38
Could we have a quickfix for the mem leak issue? Like a memory dump button or command at the login screen? I know the current fix is just to logout and shutdown/restart, but usually, by the time I notice my comp lagging from lack of memory, its too late.
If I try to logout, i get a FRE, or something like that, which it then takes around 5 minutes just to get the game to shutdown and another 2-3 just to startup(loads slower after a FRE for some odd reason)
I if could just keep an eye on my memory, so when it gets down to around 50 mb or so, I could just logout, hit the button/command, wait what? 30 secs, then log back in to neocrack. I dunno if something like that is doable, just an idea.
Another thing that bugs me is the 10 sec logoff crap, when i want to logoff, i want to logoff now, I know the characters are still on the server for another 30 secs after we disconnect, I dont have a problem with that, but i think a "Are you sure you want to logoff? YES / NO" would be more practical, like the shutdown screen. Plus i think that would help ease my blood pressure down a little bit with the sync logins (50/80/0 or whatever they are). Logon/logoff cycle takes me roughly 30 secs, another 10 secs off that would be nice for when i have to go through the cycle 4-5 times.

Thanks for your time, I still think KK is doing a decent job considering the resources they have, keep it up.

Dr Strange
01-06-05, 06:00
[ edited ]

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 07:50
alt F4 = log out 10 secs quicker (it actually takes 20-30 seconds to logout, but you only see the first 10 when you hit escape).

oh and hit alt+f to see fps and other goodies like free mem so you got some clue as to when to relog.

i know no one wants to be told "work arounds" for these issues... but i wouldn't expect anything more :(

Nidhogg
01-06-05, 11:03
The reason why it takes longer after a FRE is probably because the game is only receiving a small portion of your machine's resources since the OS is busy cleaning up after the killed process which was consuming all your memory. These issues plague some people and don't affect others at all but when you're in the former camp it's a real PITA. All I can suggest are the workarounds for the time being unfortunately but I can assure you that I'm constantly and strongly pressing for results in this area.

N

Bugs Gunny
01-06-05, 11:09
Nidhogg: "Hello Holger, i came to you today to discuss...... Euh damn... What was it... I think i forgot.."

Holger:"Oh i know what you wanted to talk about, the solution is simple. We found a way that stops inventory bugs, crashing, synch bugs, mem leak etc..."

Nidhogg:"Who are you?"

Holger:"The sollution is " *FRE *

ArgieD
01-06-05, 12:42
Nidhogg: "Hello Holger, i came to you today to discuss the constant crashes people are complaining about"

Holger:"Oh Niddy, have you been nice to those people again? Don't you remember what happened last time we gave them what they wanted?"

Nidhogg:"Yes..half of them said the preferred things how they were before."

Holger:"Well, there you go!"

Nidhogg:"But they are nice chaps you know..."

Holger:"Half of them ask for a feature and as soon as we make it available to them, the rest complain and want it off! Now, let me make sure that by the next patch, I sort out the Item Tracking, the Player Shops, the FREs, the SL, the Pking, the Bugs, the Crashes, the lot!"

Nidhogg:"Exactly, or we'll have a hundred more Threads about us not listening again and them cancelling their accounts"

Holger:"You can't win with them, can you?

Nidhog:"Nope"

Preach
01-06-05, 13:59
Agree completely with Argie, pleasing a blood thirsty community like this is like trying pleasure a termite sexually using only a straw 8| :eek: :wtf: ;)

Bugs Gunny
01-06-05, 14:44
Preach, pleasing a termite with a straw would fall under extremly brutal and violent abuse. I'll just stick with broken promises for now tyvm :-)

Nidhogg
01-06-05, 15:02
Agree completely with Argie, pleasing a blood thirsty community like this is like trying pleasure a termite sexually using only a straw 8| :eek: :wtf: ;)
You are bloodthirsty and sometimes you are really frustrating but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to do my job or that you guys deserve any less than my full effort. ;) I'm going to post a request for more information some time this afternoon so we can take advantage of the head of steam that's building up over these stability issues. Check back later...

N

ArgieD
01-06-05, 17:01
Actually, to be perfectly honest, I get really pissed of when the following scenario takes place.

1) You're in the middle of a fight and try to shoot at something but due to lag nothing happens; the mob doesn't know of lag and proceeds to be killing you

then

2) You need to get something from your inventory and -BANG- the Client crashes!

then

3) You curse Neocron & KK over the TS or VT and ask for your mates to "keep you alive" (unfortunately they all scatter away, as YOU were the friggin PPU ...and now they're f*cked)

then

4) You quickly restart the client and try to figure out why on earth do they need all these introductory screens before you get into the "Resume" screen. Eventually, you hit RESUME.

then

5a) you get back in and somehow you are still Alive!!! "Thank you GOD" you say at once, regaining some of your long-lost religious beliefs.. You quickly go for your uber Heal! Oh hang on a minute; where is my heal? In fact, where are the rest of my QB items...and the armor....and where is my hard earned ncl / SL? Damn, must be bugged!

or

5b)you get back in and somehow you are still Alive!!! "Thank you GOD" you say at once, regaining some of your long-lost religious beliefs.. But, hang on a minute; I can't move..OMG it says Synchro...

then

6) You log back in, but now you rather take your time, as you know you are dead. TRADE-NC: Need POKER pls.....

However, there is another scenario that nothing can beat...

1) You should look the "Oh Shit!" expression in our faces when we realised... REMEMBER?

'nough said :)

Always remember chaps, that as soon as the bugs of NEOCRON are fixed, we'll simply be proud players of the best MMORPG, while some others will forever be dealing with a fancy clickfest that simple bears the name of a famous predecesor..

Lachlan
01-06-05, 17:10
I'm not usually one to complain about these things, they are just part of the game, but....

Last night was particularly horrible. In the span of 3 hours, I must have relogged at least 50 times. Most of them right in a row. Each time I would get a new skill advisor e-mail. When I would try to delete the skill advisor e-mails, that would cause an FRE.

In the chaos caves with a team, me as the PPU, I would crash and the whole team would have to wait at least 10 minutes while I relogged 15-20 times because I would either have 50/50 bug, missing quickbelt, missing inventory, no psi pool, or no cash.

Sometimes when I was missing my inventory, I would have a parashock module and a temporary mission item *only*. Other times I would have the parashock modules and a Judgement Day Launcher in my inventory (which I've never had in my inventory, I'm a monk).

Very frustrating.

Ronk
01-06-05, 18:15
I'm not usually one to complain about these things, they are just part of the game, but....

Last night was particularly horrible. In the span of 3 hours, I must have relogged at least 50 times. Most of them right in a row. Each time I would get a new skill advisor e-mail. When I would try to delete the skill advisor e-mails, that would cause an FRE.

When this happens Ill just call it a day lol :rolleyes:

Fafhrd
01-06-05, 18:20
4) You quickly restart the client and try to figure out why on earth do they need all these introductory screens before you get into the "Resume" screen. Eventually, you hit RESUME.

neocron.ini:

NOSPLASH="TRUE"
NOEXTRO="TRUE"

althou you'll never need "noextro" :-)

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 19:44
neocron.ini:

NOSPLASH="TRUE"
NOEXTRO="TRUE"

althou you'll never need "noextro" :-)

aye... one of the first things i did when i upgraded :p