PDA

View Full Version : Neocronicle V05-05-03

Arbiter
31-05-05, 04:49
Factionnews reintroduced
by Barry Pepper

Although our new system for presenting the Neocronicle is still not finished, we already want to re-introduce the faction news we offered some time ago. But we need your support, dear reader, to keep that service alive: Send us YOUR news to neocronicle@neocron.com. Our deadline is usually friday night. So make sure you have submitted your news in time to be published in our next issue.

The new gangs of Neocron
by Grimm "Snotrag" Grimesby

Don't mind me so much, guys. I'm still new to this "regular honest job" thing. I've still got a big dent in my ass from where the copbot hauled off on me for pissing on his boots in Pepper Park. Unintentionally, of course. I doubt I'd be alive to speak of it if it wasn't. Anyways, before he hauled me off to join the "Irregulars", a Neocronicle editor on her way home took notice. Managing to get the copbot to stop for a minute, she offered me a proposition. Help out the Neocronicle, stay alive from the lack of "cannon fodder" roles. It wasn't really something I could refuse.

Anyways, as it turns out, the Neocronicle reporters have been leery of going into Pepper Park lately, and I'm the one with an "in". Wonderful. No lack of "cannon fodder" roles, eh? Bah. Ahem. Back to the article. A week after the Neocronicle gave me a reporter's card and enough cash to buy myself a trenchcoat and some Preacher's Choices to fill the pockets with, I get a call from the Boss. That's right. Barry Pepper himself. I may be a street urchin at heart, but I still know who butters my toast nowadays. After a nerve-wracking trip in the Subway, my cab managing to speed ahead of a roving gang of anarchists flinging grenades at the subway tracks, I come out in Plaza Two and hurry towards the NEMA HQ building. Hoo, nice place. I can't see why Tangent and CityAdmin gave up their secondary sites here.

This being the first time since NEMA took it over, I had to ask an employee there, who then points me upwards and goes in this unintelligble drawl, " EE's awp dere. Jasst yake da draft eft". Good Crahn. Is this what passes for good communications skills here at the Neocronicle? I can see why it wasn't hard for them to stoop to hiring bums off the streets. Moving on... I find a copbot with his rifle out in front of a small gravlift. Obviously this is the one that dribbler was talking about, right? I go up and I see this very, very nice office. Spartanly furnished, but with a view to die for. A man sitting behind a large grey desk is flanked by two stormbots. I immediately start sweating.

"Hello, sir. This is Grimm Grimesby. You summoned me?"

"Indeed I did. You have been attached to the Pepper Park section, I see. Since someone did not see fit to inform you that you are supposed to actively seek information out and to submit it to your supervisors, I will do it only this once. I have a job for you. Rumors have been coming out from Pepper Park that a biker gang is riding around, beating up the prostitiutes and pimps. My guards also inform me that they've executed three bikers that intruded into Plaza Three and refused to surrender to officers present on the scene. One rather unreliable source informs me that they might have a leader, and his name could be "Ironside". You are now charged with confirming the information, getting access to this person, and to get any additional pertinent data. Go now."

"Right you are, sir!"

Holy crap. I don't like work, but I'm not sassing anyone that has two Stormbots for bodyguards. I get my ass out there posthaste. So... Now I got some real work to do. I know EXACTLY what to do. Hit the bars! Anyone that's watched the old detective holovids know you can find any information at the bars! Plus drinks. I hit the nearest one - Garriot's Diner right there in Plaza Two. I mosey on up the ramps, order myself a few Cron 55s. I sit on a nice leafy plant, waiting for someone to come into the diner. A while passes, but the only one that even goes in front of this spot is a desperately late runner trying to figure out where "Secret Black D" is. I, of course, being the kindly and well-informed runner that I am, I tell the runner he's liable to get himself killed and to cancel the mission. He walks off sobbing. Gunshots ring out from the entry to the subway tunnel, and just as I turn to see what's going on, two very quick people in "lobster suits" (The informal parlance for the PE suits, for the unfamiliarized among you readers) come out. My survival instincts as finely honed as they are, I immediately dive into the decorative pool, bullets pinging and whizzing lethally. As I flail to get my head above the water to breathe, I see scintillant green bolts flying everywhere. First one, then the other armored attacker dies to that fearsome barrage of firepower. The cobpot on the balcony above the NEMA HQ puts his gun away smartly. With that, I jump out of the water and start sprinting away - I daren't risk being around here anymore if there's gonna be bullets and plasma flying around spilling my beer. I slow down as I come around the bend to Plaza Three, and just mere meters away, there's another bar! Happiness! I'll get some more beer and get some work done! I like this job!

A hour in, with a severe hangover and a wallet emptied out of my beercan-recycling money, I get shooed out by the bartender. I dimly remember I'm supposed to find something... bikes? Yeah. Supposed to find a bike. Lucky for me... there's a vec store here in the sector. Right? Eh. I stagger around the streets a bit more, until finally I come to this very out-of=the=way ASG. The hangover only receding slighty, I abruptly wave and talk to the vendor.

*urk* "This is Grimesby of the Neocronicle. I'm looking up some information about vehicles, and I wanted to ask, have you any recent customers that made large purchases of any sort of motorbike?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but no. Most of our customers come in to buy one or two vehicles of different types. We sell high-quality vehicles of superb quality. That's why none of our customers need to worry about having a back-up vehicle on hand. Does that satisfy you?"

"Well, bravo for you guys. I was just asking because there's rumors that people are riding bikes around in the Plaza sectors lately, stirring up trouble."

"Well, I never! We of ASG Technologies would never be so irreponsible as to sell our wares to reprobates and hooligans. Any law-abiding citizens of Neocron City know that it is absolutely illegal to have an vehicle upon the streets in the City. These streets are strictly pedestrian-only. Good day, sir!"

Whoo. Looks like I offended him. But at least I know whoever these gangbangers are, they're not getting their rides from here. It's getting late in the day, so I better get myself off to my Pepper Park bed-down spot. Everyone brags about how they got their nice gussied-up apartment. I say nothing beats my box. It's a really sweet box - not one of these crappy wood jobbies, but it's one of the metal things. A bit rusty on the outside, but it's still nice and roomy inside. I got plenty of these nice cushion thingies that the Plaza 3 "Plants and Pottery" store tossed out because of something or other. Best of all, it's way out of the copbot patrols, so I'm not likely to get rousted and tossed off to Reza's "Irregulars". As I near the ramps in Pepper Park 1, a runner jumps down from the third-story walkways above. I manage to dodge his landing, and noticing his panicky demeanor, I ask him a few questions.

"Hey, man! What's the rush? DoYs attacking again?"

"No, man! There's fucking anarchists everywhere! They're riding bikes, popping wheelies and doing the craziest things! It's total chaos! Get the hell out of here while you still can!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Anarchists? Are you sure? And bikes? Actual motorbikes? Isn't that illegal?"

"Yes, anarchists! They've got the mohawks and the punk-rock slogans on their jackets. They're totally amok! Who the hell's gonna say no to them if they want to ride bikes around? I'm fucking OUTTA HERE!"

Watching him sprint out of the sector, I am struck - This was a big break! This would totally make my article kick ass. But... if these were many Anarchists, I was liable to get killed. One anarchist does not scare anyone, plus, illegal vehicular operation in the City gets one killed fast, so, by this line of reasoning, there had to be an assload of Anarchists. So... I'm shafted, unless I can get help. The nearest CityCom gives me an idea. I send out a general alert, and add that possibly DoY runners might be using this as an opportunity to attack. I may live in Pepper Park, but I know there's always a few rabid milita members hanging around in Plaza or Via Rosso, slumming around for a fight. With any luck, a few runners should be running in to Pepper Park for a fight, and I could go in behind them while they distract the Anarchists.

My hunch proves correct, and a few Monks stride confidently from Plaza Three. I sidle up to them, and ask if they're going to defend the city. When a Monk in this dark rust-brown cloak affirms, I say that they're making trouble in Pepper Park 3. I don't know where the Anarchists are, but mentioning Pepper Park 3 might make these Monks more likely to search more throughly for them. I slow down a bit, then start following them. Anything happens, I'm well out of range.

It's been a long walk. Pepper Park's entirely too big, let me tell you. Rattling gunshots ring out. The monks go on alert, auroras of power shimmering into being around them. I dive for the nearest trash can. Spitting out whatever was laying that that crumpled burger wrapper, I stick my head up to watch the proceedings. The monks are raging forms of power. Actinic bolts of energy is slamming into one, two, three Anarchists. Fire spurts out of the ground, out of windows, out of the very bodies of other Anarchists and they're writhing in agony. Still more Anarchists are standing their ground, crazed-looking eyes belying their deadly determination, and their gatling pistols are spinning like dervishes. Bullets are "spang-ing" off everything. Flecks of concrete and sparks are flying everywhere from this hail of lead. One of the monks staggers, his cloak and pants torn to shreds.

He's staggering to me. Shit! The Anarchists are tracking him. They're gonna shoot me too! I crouch as tightly as I can, hoping they don't see me. Ah, no worries! The monk isn't badly hurt, and he's throwing everything he has into the bunch of crazy buggers. Dear Crahn, the whole street is alight with fire and lightning! Wait... what's this. A runner is coming up, and he looks almost unscathed. SHIT! It's a Black Dragon, and he's... healing the Anarchists! He just hit the other monks with bluish bolts! The other monks are unloading on the Black Dragon and he's hardly fazed. The monks are falling back. That isn't good. The Anarchists are cheering. One of them is riding a bike, and he runs over one of the retreating monks. OOO! That had to hurt! The other monks turn and shatter the bike with an almighty clap of thunder. A chunk of the steel tread whiz by over my head.

The Black Dragon monk starts staggering and limping. The Anarchists seem to be just as rabid and hateful towards him as they are with us. As he retreats, the Neocronian monks come back, recharged and furious. Holy Drom! The street is cracking in the fury of the assault. Everything's flying. I'm getting the fuck out of here! My soles burst into fire just as I manage to round the corner.

Finally managing to put my boots out and the soot off my pants (note to self - kevlar boots do NOT like fire), I listen as the sounds of fierce fighting subside. Waiting a while longer after the noises stop just in case more shit gets kicked up, I notice a half-empty bottle of Snow White lodged in the sewer hatch a few meters away. I get up to get it, and a scabbed and wrinkled hand reaches out of there to snatch it down. The hatch clangs shut. I back away quickly, and running around the corner, I see a scene of utter destruction.

Char marks, pocks and dents, and shattered bikes are everywhere. There's even a rider and bike lodged in a hatch to an abandoned cellar in one of the stores. He's dead, of course. The monks are in the middle of the street, chatting. I walk up to one of them. It's the rust-brown cloaked one.

"Hello, sir. I'm from the Neocronicle. May I ask your name, brave runner?"

"Hello. My name doesn't matter."

"Er... Right, it doesn't. What do you think is going on? I know, it's obvious that Anarchists were here, but why do you think they're here, and how do you think they managed to get operating vehicles upon the streets of Pepper Park? Do you think Black Dragon is behind this, considering that monk that was helping them?"

"Damned if I know. The Anarchists like to pop up everywhere just to make trouble. Hell, they'll probably pop into into a Faction Headquarters just to hassle the employees. I don't think the Black Dragon are really helping the Anarchists, at least, in any meaningful capacity. No real point in it, I think. And as to the vehicles, I have no idea, and I wish I did. I'd love to ride in my red wheeler car in Via Rosso and pick up a few babes. Hey, I got to go, all right? I got customers ringing the bell."

"Well, sure, go ahead. Don't let me stop you. Thanks for talking. Hey! Hey, you with the green glowy head implant! I'm with the Neocronicle! Care to answer a few questions?"

The other monks glance disinterestedly towards me. That's a sure "No.", I think. As I walk further into Pepper Park sector 3, I see more evidence of the Anarchists' exhuberant partying. I look at the few remaining corpses of the Anarchists, and nothing looks like they could have been a leader. Mr. Pepper's information might have been off, as he said. The Anarchists were notorious for being fiercely independent, and no leaders ever really popped up. This Ironside must have been truly formidable if he got Anarchists to follow him. I wander to my sleeping box, putting my thoughts into order. I notice a nearby CityCom terminal that hasn't been too severely defaced, and decide to get it over with. I type my notes of the day, hampered by the shattered screen, and send it to my supervisor as you see it now.

I turn in, severely sober, and full of thoughts about how to track down this very elusive "Ironside".

Arbiter
31-05-05, 04:52
Thefts at Crytons – the leads point to the Outzone
By William Frost

In the last Neocronicle, we reported about thefts in some Crytons Stores. Now we have the first results of the NCPD investigation, and it looks like the perpetrators are in the Outzone.

In some Outzone Sectors the NCPD found different pieces of a Crytons package and these pieces come from an item stolen from a Crytons Shop. Further investigations on the evidence brought no hint of the alleged guilty party(s), but we are sure that they are in the Outzone. The NCPD doesn’t know where exactly they will be found but all hiding-places are being systematically checked and the list of unchecked places is getting shorter.

The NCPD wanted to contact the perpetrators through the Neocronicle: “If you surrender yourself voluntarily at the NCPD HQ you will get a fair hearing by a CopBot unit. The execution will be fast, painless and without any audience. We are going to find you. Don’t make it worse for yourself than it already is!”

Crytons management has offered a 100,000nc reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved in this crime.

Interview with NX MoC and City Council Speaker Bullenbeisser.
by Julian D. Mercator
[Mars]

J.D. Mercator: Hello Mr. Bullenbeisser, thank you for spending time on this interview.

Bullenbeisser: You are welcome, I always have time for the Neocronicle.

J.D. Mercator: You are the NX MoC and City Council Speaker, that's why I am interviewing you first. Our readers are curious to know more about the City Council and its business in the last few months. So the first question: What is the City Council?

Bullenbeisser: The City Council is founded by Lioon Reza. It is a board where representatives of every NC faction have their places. They discuss and are voting on laws for the benefit of Neocron and to make the life of the citizens better and safer.

J.D. Mercator: How is the work between the factions? Are there no arguments between them?

Bullenbeisser : No. Every faction has its own topics or things they want to bring up first but nevertheless all factions work hand in hand together. There are always projects where several factions need to work side by side.
For the benefit of the City we all pull together on the same side.

J.D. Mercator: Where are the meetings? Are they open for all citizens?

Bullenbeisser : The exact location is not public for security reasons but there are public meetings to which every citizen is invited. The last 2 meetings were open to the public.

J.D. Mercator: Yes, a colleague told me about this. He said also that there were some security measures during the meeting. Also, there were CM sighted at the meeting. Are the CM also part of the City Council ?

Bullenbeisser : Yes the CM were offered 2 seats in the Council. We try to get a better cooperation between Neocron and the City Mercs. CM would be an important partner in our fight against the terrorists from the Dome. Unfortunately they have not accepted or declined our offer till now.

J.D. Mercator: As far as I have seen, the city has become more peaceful since the founding of the City Council. Do the CA have a special position here?

Bullenbeisser : Yes, it's more peaceful in Neocron right now but the CA has no special position, all factions are on the same level in the Council. The CA is only special because they are the main executive faction regarding most of the laws.

J.D. Mercator: As I discovered, the new city laws are being sent to publication. They are rather extensive. Do you want to explain some points?

Bullenbeisser : Hm, it is the old city law, but extended in some points. Many topics have better explanations, for example the security, how visitors should behave in the city or how trading should take place. Also how citizens should react when witnessing a crime. Also the City Council and how it should work, is explained.

J.D. Mercator: How is the City Council composed?

Bullenbeisser : Every faction is represented by 2 MoC, 1 Faction Council Chairman and 2 Faction Council Members. Every faction has 2 votes given through the MoC. Also there are the 2 City Governors: Susan Swift and Henry Dorsett who lead the Council, they have 1 vote each. The CM are also represented, if they want, but with the small difference that they would have voting rights BUT only if the topic is a CM matter. That means there are 14 votes for NC topics and a possible 16 votes on topics with CM interest. Still, the CM did not tell us if they want to take part in the Council or not.

J.D. Mercator: I assume that all still listen to the advice of our leader Lioon Reza?

Bullenbeisser : Sure, Lioon Reza is our leader and also our highest superior. But Lioon Reza often reads our votes and approves the majority of them.

J.D. Mercator: Thank you for this informative interview.

Bullenbeisser: No problem, I am always open for questions.

Anarchy Breed Attack the Inner City?
By Roland Lancaster

While taking the subway into the inner city a few days ago as I often do, for after all there is no safer and more reliable transportation system within our fair city, I exited the subway car and noticed an unusually large amount of grungy and unkempt runners milling about for that time of day. As I had a deadline to meet I proceeded to the exit. Climbing the stairs I encountered my colleague Mr. John Redcloud being accosted by the riff raff, demanding credits. Apparently my unexpected arrival caught the would be muggers off guard and together we managed to slip out of the subway. The criminals were right behind us, luckily our cries for help did not go unheeded and a few runners came to our aid.

Soon, it became obvious that this was no random mugging attempt, as within minutes more attackers came pouring out of the subway and into Plaza Two, and much to my chagrin I was taken by surprise and forced into Rocco’s Seafood and held captive. By this time, a good many city runners had responded to the cries for help and were valiantly trying to push back the invasion. It would seem that these were not merely just riff raff, but members of the so called Anarchy Breed, and when it became apparent that the tide was turning, they began trying to use me as a bargaining chip even stooping to crudely using physical violence against me in order to attempt to get what they wanted.

Eventually a few patriotic citizens decided it would be prudent to notify the city law enforcement, and soon a line of CopBots arrived and together with the help of citizens they were able to track down and exterminate the remaining attackers. I’m also proud to report that through it all Hopefall, kagemucha, Karnok, rae, and Thalos risked life and limb to rescue me from my captors.

While a captive, I did manage to overhear one member of the group holding me prisoner say “Did we get into the lab?” However, due to the fighting going on around me, I was unable to hear the rest of the conversation other than the mention of a “distraction”. When considering the area of the apparent invasion, it does not take much of a leap of faith to guess that the lab my assailants were referring to was none other than the prestigious ProtoPharm Laboratory located in that very same sector of the city, not far from the subway entrance.

This would be far from the first time that this band of outlaws and addicts killed over drugs, however this does seem to be the first time they have went to such lengths to perform such a raid. How, for instance, did they slip past the NEXT security system? A system that can neutralize any weapon brought into the subway, somehow managed to miss sixty armed non-citizens and allow them passage to the center of our city? As of yet, NEXT has only offered “No Comment at this time” when these and other related questions were posed, however the NCPD has taken up the charge and executing its authority to review all NEXT Subway data feeds just prior to and during the attack.

While following up on my hunch that the real goal of the Anarchy Breed was not to start a riot in the streets of the inner city, but instead to infiltrate ProtoPharm’s lab. I contacted ProtoPharm officials and asked if anything strange had taken place during the time of or directly before the disturbance in the streets, but again I was meet with another typical corporate response denying any possibility of intrusion due to their superior security systems and procedures. However, upon speaking with several employees that were on shift at the time, they mentioned odd power surges and several sealed doors opening and closing by themselves.

What was the cause of the attack? Were the events subverting the security of the Subway and the odd fluctuations in the ProtoPharm lab just coincidence? For now, no one is certain, but as in everything, only time will tell.

Missing tape sought…
By Cyril Sikes

Every once in a while, fate deals us a “card” that can only be described as a “stroke of luck,” such was the case today when a scrap of paper was picked up by a curious runner and promptly turned over to the NCPD.

The person who received the note did us a great favor by not destroying information that may lead to some progress in the investigation on the murder of our beloved City Governor Art Jeppherson.

An NCPD representative stated, “the note contained a great deal of information and may well lead to the break in the case we have all hoped for.” This same representative went on to say, “while we are keeping quiet about most of this evidence, I will release one sentence from the note so that the populace can be on the lookout for the evidence that we hope will blow this case wide open.” The representative then held up a poster that read as follows: “Make sure you view the security tapes from the Bum Asylum and get the one that incriminates me.”

NCPD is asking all loyal runners to be on the lookout for this tape, resembling a normal Data Disc, and if found: please notify Susan Swift by city com message service.

A substantial reward is offered.

Vermin Control
By Roland Lancaster

In a land mark decision in the weeks before the recent major flare-up in the long lived conflict between our fair city and the Dome, the City Admin passed a temporary “Asset Relocation” bill that essentially relocated much of the city’s automated vermin control units and retooled them for use on the battle fields and to work on production lines. In an effort to curb the rampant spread of vermin in the sewers and other seldom visited locations, the bill also allowed for certain corporations to take up contracts for patrolling these areas, and in turn dole out the jobs to the less fortunate.

However, there is another side to the story, as the NCPD reports a marked increase of runners either dying or simply heading into the stagnant pits, never to return. When questioning a busy MediCare employee, the employee stated that there has also been an increase in the sales of first aid kits as well as treatments of lacerations, punctures and minor poisoning.

Not only is this plan providing jobs to the needy and keeping credits flowing around the city corps and into our citizens' pockets, it has also boosted the revenues of licensed medical care businesses as well as weapons and manufacturing firms. While this plan may not be the most efficient means of extermination, it does provide for a great means to break the recent economic stagnation, not to mention also being a great means to eliminate all of the city’s vermin, as a full one-third of all the vagrants that take up jobs never return to claim their reward.

Arbiter
31-05-05, 04:52
Interview with Mr. Ginsterkatze, NX MoC.
by Julian D. Mercator
[Mercury]

Recorded in the new meeting room of the City Council.

J.D. Mercator: Hello Mr. Ginsterkatze, you are the MoC with the longest length of service in the City right now. Do you have time for a small interview?

Ginsterkatze : Why not?

J.D. Mercator: As it was told in the last memorandum, MoC are needed to found the new City Council.

Ginsterkatze : Yes... I have read about it.

J.D. Mercator: Could you explain to our readers what MoC are?

Ginsterkatze : The MoC, Members of Council, are the link - or people to speak to - between runner and the City Council. They should help on different topics, for example the weekly faction meetings and the founding of City Council and its work.

J.D. Mercator: As we have seen, there are some positions to fill. Are there already some applicants?

Ginsterkatze : Right now there are 2 direct applicants, but some other citizens are under *observation* ; ). They have proved to be very engaged in their factions recently. I think some of these persons will be addressed soon.

J.D. Mercator: What do you hope for when thinking of a functioning City Council?

Ginsterkatze : I hope for an organized building of a functioning alliance within the boundaries of the City. Also the cooperation between the different institutions and factions should be improved. Nevertheless a working City Council builds a functioning city and offers a safe life our citizens demand. I am sure that our future depends on this.

J.D. Mercator: How is the current status of the City? Are there many problems which could be solved by the Council?

Ginsterkatze : There are many. The citizens are intimidated. Every day, there are attacks from DOY runners in the middle of the city. Also, there are many small fights between normally friendly clans, which tend to be very hard to settle and cause great damage until then. During this upheaval, all of DOY are simply using the dissent amongst our ranks to gain more and more of the wastelands. Even in the front of our city gates they hold territory for longer and no-one is really safe out there. I think that is what is concerning our citizens the most right now.

J.D. Mercator: What would you tell runners who want to be MoC? What should they know or be able to do?

Ginsterkatze : They should have fun in working with people, also be interested in politics and the history of our beloved city. They should have a certain reputation in their factions. Of course, these runners should plan for this position having its heavy workload and consuming time. Also, at times it is somewhat thankless.

J.D. Mercator: Are the runners thankless if somebody tries to help them and their faction?

Ginsterkatze : Well, that is hard to explain. Many times, MoC were victims of different verbal and violent attacks. They were partly directly attacked by hidden DOY sympathizers, sometimes by unhappy runners from our own ranks. You can imagine that when you settle an argument, one of the parties feels disadvantaged. Or, others who have stepped on their feet because they simply don't follow our rules by intention. Fortunately these are exceptions.

J.D. Mercator: Where will the City Council hold its meetings?

Ginsterkatze : The City Council apartment is in Via 1. The exact location is secret right now. It is already completed as you can see and waits for the first meetings.

J.D. Mercator: To whom should one address if he wants to be MoC?

Ginsterkatze : You can reach the known MoC by mail or mail the governor Henry Dorsett directly.

J.D. Mercator: Thank you for this interview.

Ginsterkatze : Was a pleasure to me.

Strange Events in the Outzone
By William Frost

Disgusted citizens have complained about the continuing mutant attacks. It looks like the mutants were displaced from the Outzone by a yet unknown event. Because of this, the Vermin Control Division of the NCPD started an investigation. A major part of this investigation is to analyze the environment of the mutant. Scientists observed several strange mutations that have never been seen before. How or perhaps, more importantly, why these mutations are happening is yet to be known.

Unfortunately 3 Scientists were lost without a trace. They were separated from the group, which was protected by copbots, for only a few minutes before they were discovered missing. They have not been heard from since.

These aren't individual cases. Reports of people going missing in the outzone are being sent to the NCPD with alarming frequency. The reason for the strange changes in mutant behavior is unknown. Is the Dome of York involved in this mystery? No one knows; all anyone can say is that strange things are happening. Neocron government representatives strongly urge everyone to STAY AWAY FROM THE OUTZONE.

Neocronicle presents: Vehicle Guide
by Vincent Starck, delivered by Omura Nakata

We recently received a guide and got asked to publish it, as it surely will enhance our readers abilities to drive vehicles and so, increase the safety in the Wastelands. Besides, this it will make it easier for you to decide which vehicles are worth spending money on it and which are not. From now on, we will present two vehicles every issue, until all currently available vehicles have gotten introduced. But now, let's go on with the guide.

To: 2nd Armoured Division [Recruits, All]
Subject: Reading material prior to your vehicle familiarisation course tomorrow.

Welcome to the City Mercs 2nd Armoured Division!

I understand that you have your first vehicle familiarisation course tomorrow morning at 06:00 hrs, and I thought this article from "What Wastelands Transport?" [ATTACHED] might interest you - I believe the instructors like to test their students on the first day, and this might put you in a position to answer some of their questions and impress them.

Good luck, and I hope to see you all on the parade ground tomorrow.

Vincent Stark, City Mercs Job Dealer.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

NEXT Quad

Price: Not available for sale
Speed: Good (7)
Grip: Average (5)
Armour: Average (5)
Weaponry: None
Crew: 1 (Driver)

Driver Requirements:

Intelligence (INT) 7,
Vehicle Use (VHC) 17

A recent addition to NEXT's line up of single-person vehicles, the Quad is rumoured to represent their newer and more aggressive marketing strategy. Although this more-than-capable off-road vehicle is not yet available in the shops, it is a common sight in the hands of the latest batch of runners who have taken up the role of driver or vehicle crewmen. Until this vehicle is commercially available or NEXT provides us with a demo model, it will not be possible to offer a complete review.

ER Wheeler Speedbike V.

Price: 85,262 nc (from the ASG vendor)
Speed: Average (5 / 10)
Grip: Below Average (4 / 10)
Armour: Terrible (2 / 10)
Weaponry: None
Crew: 1 (Driver)

Driver Requirements:

Intelligence (INT) 7,
Vehicle Use (VHC) 17

A snip at 85,262nc, NEXT’s updated version of the classic sports bike provides personal transport to even the poorest of runners. Sporting a modified version of a 20th century petrol engine, the bike was initially designed with all the features you would expect to see on an inner-city vehicle and was released as the Wheeler Sportsbike - the problem was, it lacked the features that made it practical for use in the wastelands. After a hasty redesign, it was re-released as the Speedbike and came complete with all-terrain tyres, resilient shocks, a heavy fork and twin exhausts, all fitted to the same electric-blue chassis that made it so popular amongst the younger citizens of Neocron. Despite the changes, it is still not a serious off-road bike and is outperformed by NEXT’s other, more expensive bikes.

We hope you enjoyed it. Don't miss the next issue, when we will introduce the ER Assault Bike and the ER Chaincraft V.1 to you.

Dribble Joy
31-05-05, 12:55
Kill rats, and kill the homeless, two birds with one stone.

Fantastic.

Brammers
01-06-05, 02:28
A snip at 85,262nc...

*Coughs and splutters a cup of El Farid Coffee everywhere*

HOW MUCH?!?! :lol:

ooc: Good read as always!

Arbiter
04-06-05, 17:19
Thanks!

We will return to a bi-weekly Neocronicle by the way, we need the time to do the connected events as well. So the next issue will be on monday/tuesday next week (13th/14th).

Xephonas
04-06-05, 21:43
good read, definately alot more info on these mutant/anarchist attacks.

Something tells me a big ass mutant attack is going to happen sometime.

CMaster
04-06-05, 22:18
Something tells me a big ass mutant attack is going to happen sometime.

Ya think? What with the NPCs stood all over NC talking about the mutatns taking people in outzone?

Tratos
07-06-05, 18:31
Nice read, we finaly might be drifting back to the intelegent mutant storyline that seemed to just die off :)

Any news on neocronicle.com or even any info on how it will work/how far along it is etc?

Arbiter
08-06-05, 12:14
Well, one feature I personally like is, that it will have an RSS Newsfeed ;) We will have different sites for the german and the english version, and all this allows us tow have slightly different stories developing for each server.
All that needs to be done are the graphics, as far as I can see.