PDA

View Full Version : Tech Haven Network and Rares Database - Offline (Not my fault either!)

Brammers
25-05-05, 11:14
http://www.techhaven.org and http://rares.techhaven.org

It seems that Pipex, the co-lo provider for the server that hosts the Tech Haven network have decided to move the IP for the server from the Nottingham Datacentre to the Manchester Datacentre 3 weeks before they said they would.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused, and currently we have 3 very angry system admins dealing with Pipex.

As soon as it's back up or there is any more news I'll let you know.

Siygess
25-05-05, 11:27
Call me pesemistic, but when I couldnt get my mail last night, I just KNEW those guys had pulled the plug early.

Damn you, Pipex! DAMN YOOOOOOOU! :mad:

CMaster
25-05-05, 13:49
synergyxr hsa been down too. And we just set up a rare list on your DB....

Brammers
25-05-05, 14:03
synergyxr hsa been down too. And we just set up a rare list on your DB....

So I hear, seems everyone has been struck by some outage in some way. :(

As for the THN rares database, latest news I have is Pipex are reconfiguring the IP of the box so myself and the rest of the sysadmin can access it to change anything else that needs the new IP address, which includes the web server configuration.

Then we need to update the DNS records to point to the new IP. Doing all this wont take that long, what may take a while is for the new DNS changes to propogate around the internet.

Whats really annoying is that we are in the process of setting up a new box, with a new co-lo hosting provider, as Pipex are closing the Nottingham data centre in July. The old IP was not supposed to go down until 16th June, by which time the Rares DB would had been moved to the new server.

Brammers
25-05-05, 19:13
Another update:-

Well Pipex tried to resolve the issue by assigning the old server with a new IP. However it's not routable from the outside world. :wtf: Currently we are having to hop via another server to access the server.

All data on the rares DB is not effected. It's not a server issue, it's a networking issue.

However because Pipex do not seem capable of sorting out a simple routing issue, it has been decided to move all the data from the old server to the new server ASAP.

The bottom line, the THN will be out for several more hours yet.

[TgR]KILLER
25-05-05, 19:19
yea noticed it this morning @ college when i thought my wireless network connection at college was broken because the THN din't load.

finally figured out it was the THN itself being offline. as its my start page i noticed it right away :x but gues you noticed it to lol.

hope you can make the move quickly bram get rid of pipex. just setup the new box as soon as you can :p or else i'll fly in to configure it for you ;x

-FN-
25-05-05, 21:10
Well here's some good news: nc.syn (http://nc.synergyxr.net/) is back up a day ahead of schedule :)

[TgR]KILLER
25-05-05, 21:56
hey bram its up again !

well up..

Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Brammers
25-05-05, 22:18
KILLER']hey bram its up again !

well up..

Correct - the THN is back, and on it's brand new server. I have turned it off for the moment, including the rares DB as we are still migrating users from the old server, so it's possible the web server will go up and down a bit.

I'll switch it back on in a hour or so, once we finished the rest of the migration.

[TgR]KILLER
25-05-05, 22:23
good news bram good news ^^

din't know the new server was already ready to be used. tho good thing pipex is down the drain then :p

Brammers
26-05-05, 00:48
KILLER']good news bram good news ^^

din't know the new server was already ready to be used. tho good thing pipex is down the drain then :p

Yeah, it's been in the data centre for over a week, just we was taking our time to check and configure things. The next stage was to move the data over, but Pipex forced that on us.

Anyway - The THN is back up, including the Rares DB! Please report any problems here or on the THN.

Edit: If people can't reach it, it may be because you have old DNS data, give it a few hours.

Edit2: Could a mod change the title of the thread to "Tech Haven Network and Rares Database - Back online"

[TgR]HusK
26-05-05, 10:58
*claps* and *bows* great work brammers, as always.

Brammers
27-05-05, 19:44
Ok, all seems well - Can a mod please close this thread.