PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Online

Digital-Talios
24-05-05, 21:15
So... whats the gossip about this game so far? I have heard that there be no pVp. does any one know if it will be fps or that point and cllick crap? will this be another ever quest clone like SWG?

darkservent
25-05-05, 12:31
FPS they say. I cant see it as a point and click TBH.

Original monk
25-05-05, 12:44
i wonna be william shatnor, beam me up scotty !

Bugs Gunny
25-05-05, 12:55
If it ever has pvp and it's fps i'm so going to be a klingon....

Street
25-05-05, 13:06
i would be picard!!

picard > kirk tbh

Bugs Gunny
25-05-05, 13:08
Well at least picard wasn't afraid to show he was bald. Kirk was always running around with that doormat on his head.

Selendor
25-05-05, 13:43
I really don't see how the Star Trek universe will work as a mmo. I mean, if you can be in the federation, which is all about following rules and towing the line, how can they possibly translate that into self-centered power levellers? The best bet would be to make everyone independents or klingons or something.

Dr Strange
25-05-05, 13:53
I cannot wait for this MMO

If there ever is an MMO that will get me to leave NC, it will be ST Online

I heard about it around christmas, which was the last time they officially updated the F.A.Q about it on startrek.com (under Games - Online Game section)

It's going to be fucking awesome, couple guys in our clan are also planning on jumping to it when it hits beta. I for one will do just about anything to beta this thing (late this year early next year).

Forget Tabula Rasa, forget Twilight War, forget any other MMO in the next couple of years. ST Online will be one I am hooked into for a long while when it hits. I am more of a sci fi fan, and Trekkie than I am a cyber punk fan.

PvP fans probably won't enjoy this one this much. PvP will have combat, but not as much empathized as NC's, though it will be much more ship/diplomatic/story driven PvP. I'm sorry but as cool as op battles are in NC, a full scale attack of the Fleet in pvp will own anything else. I want ships and phasers and god this game is so gonna kick some ass. I don't care if it fails miserably and most hate it, I am that much a Trekkie I'll take shitty Trek over nothing Trek online ;)

Hippieman
25-05-05, 14:21
Don't really know about how its going to go. Hope not everyone and their grandma gets a Sovergin-class ship or a Borg Fusion Cube (~16 cubes together) very easily. Hope we can definatly fly ships like the Excesior, Steamrunner and Defiant (w/ cloak). One thing I know is, I aint being a fucking red shirt.

Toxen
25-05-05, 14:22
I really don't see how the Star Trek universe will work as a mmo. I mean, if you can be in the federation, which is all about following rules and towing the line, how can they possibly translate that into self-centered power levellers? The best bet would be to make everyone independents or klingons or something.

Simple even the federation follows a traditional militaristic naval rank/reward system it provides an excellent template for a leveling sytem.

Preach
25-05-05, 14:24
Im right there with ya MAV, im buzzing for this one. Bagsy being captain TBH

Toxen
25-05-05, 14:29
Don't really know about how its going to go. Hope not everyone and their grandma gets a Sovergin-class ship or a Borg Fusion Cube (~16 cubes together) very easily. Hope we can definatly fly ships like the Excesior, Steamrunner and Defiant (w/ cloak). One thing I know is, I aint being a fucking red shirt.

Depends if we get canon ships or not cus alot of those recognised by people these days aren't even canon at last check of memory those that are most certainly canon are
Constitution, and Refits,
Constellation,
Excellsior,
Nebula and Refits,
Miranda and Refits,
Oberth,
Federation Fighter Classes
Galaxy (Refit is also considered canon I think but there is some doubt over it as it may be from an alternate timeline)
Defiant
Intrepid
Nova
Akira
Steamrunner
(one i forget which follows the same design model)
Sovereign
and a Long list of shuttles and a few types of runabout.

Don't think borg fusion would be considered cannon

Im expecting the setting to be around the dominion war though it provides the best basis for wide scale of events while keeping the story centralised

Heavyporker
25-05-05, 14:44
Interesting, interesting.

But I highly doubt there'll be any sort of the cool massive fleet battles.

Most likely they'll be 3-4 ship skirmishes. And that's best-case scenario.

enigma_b17
25-05-05, 14:45
Why u say that porker?

Heavyporker
25-05-05, 15:00
Well.. the ships that everyone knows and loves are like... captain/admiral rank ships, right?

Do you honestly think that StarTrekOnline will make it easy to get one??!

I know it's practically the whole point of the game, but still, I wouldn't hand out main battle ships to any, all, and sundry.

Digital-Talios
25-05-05, 16:11
it would be neat to have indepent factions like pirate/smugglers. I hope with all things done and said it doesnt turn into such a dissapointment as SWG. I know many will leave for STO but some will come back to the old wife beater that Neocron is.

Cyphor
25-05-05, 18:52
Not read up on this for months but last i checked heavyporker is right, you will be more of an individual character, dont think this is going to be like eve where everyone will have their own ship etc; think it will be like jedi's in swg, rare to start then more common but still hard to get.

edit: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/gaming/online/article/6632.html

Explains it a bit better.

Digital-Talios
25-05-05, 18:55
i dont belive everyone in STO will want to be a starship captain. its good they offer many other things to do.

Infinite
25-05-05, 20:08
NO pvp... no pvp... i don't fucking understand anyone who would ever play a MMO without PVP.... in my mind it makes no sense.,... go pla ya fucking single player game you carebear little shit. everquest and swg i guess show there are millions of sad fucks out there that will do it but meh makes no sense to me. If it has no PVP its not worth discussing TBH :)

Cyphor
25-05-05, 20:23
makes no sense to me

Thats the important bit eh? ;) Everyones entitled to an opinion but it doesn't make anyone elses' wrong... and i find it funny you calling people playing eq or swg sad, pvp or not you still sit at your computer achieving nothing...they get fun from they way they play and you get fun from the way you play, thats all that matters imo.

Anyway, there is going to be pvp in the same way alot of mmo's have it, confined to an arena (holodeck) and that doesn't mean there wont be pvp in a larger scale in the future.

Mighty Max
25-05-05, 20:40
NO pvp... no pvp... i don't fucking understand anyone who would ever play a MMO without PVP.... in my mind it makes no sense.,... go pla ya fucking single player game you carebear little shit. everquest and swg i guess show there are millions of sad fucks out there that will do it but meh makes no sense to me. If it has no PVP its not worth discussing TBH :)

There are two things you can do as a group:

- working together
- working against each other

Guess you are more the destructive type. But that doesn't mean everyone has to be. Working together might be fun too.

Just a suggestion.

*still scared about this limited view*
Mighty Max

Dr Strange
26-05-05, 01:39
Im expecting the setting to be around the dominion war though it provides the best basis for wide scale of events while keeping the story centralised

Which time period or series does this game occur in?

The game's starting point is set some time following the latest movie (i.e. Nemesis). However, there will be missions with storylines and characters from other parts of the Star Trek franchise.

It's set in the timeline after Nemesis, so we have a stronger bond between the Federation and the Romulans, plus our increased allied treaties with all the other major races. Theres plenty of room to add storyline, the Borg, species 8472, etc

enigma_b17
26-05-05, 01:43
Sounds fairly cool, if something does take me away from nc, this could be it, or possibly meo!!

Dr Strange
26-05-05, 01:44

please do not get this thread closed, its for discussion of the game. obviously you do not like it already, which is fine thats your choice.

and if you do read the f.a.q, it does have pvp. pvp will be mainly ship based with small encounters in FPS style combat. If you want more indepth FPS style combat, you simply meet other players in the Holodeck (much like neofrag I'd assume) and fight there.

you do realize that 2/3 of the "fighting" in the Star Trek universe is done in large scale ships? The only time interpersonal fighting goes on is when a ship is borded or they have to beam down to a planet or whatnot. im sorry that our choice of pvp is different than yours, id rather enjoy piloting a starship into battle with a borg cube than watching an apu+3 ppu's take down a lone pe in neocron for my pvp experience.

dark_reaper
26-05-05, 08:54
Hmm, I am not much of a trekkie. But I think I will love this game. I will prabally be down in Engineering making upgrades to the warp core, and working my way up to chief engineer and trying to prevent the warp core from going critical, or from breaching. Mabee afterwards work my way up to captain or admiral.

Hmm, I wonder if you would have full acess to the ship. Be able to explore everything.

Dr Strange
26-05-05, 09:18
Hmm, I wonder if you would have full acess to the ship. Be able to explore everything.

Supposedly you'll be able to explore quite a bit of each ship.

Me, I'm torn on what would be the coolest. Piloting has got to be awesome, learning to do break neck turns at impulse speed and navigate at warp O_O

dark_reaper
26-05-05, 21:41
I can see myself in Engineering and performing lots of upgrades to the core, and during the heat of battle, trying to prevent a breach if they do add that into the game.

Brammers
26-05-05, 21:58
Hmm...USS Phoenix, but then a Bird Of Pray would also be good! :)

hinch
26-05-05, 22:38
http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation_starship_classes

for full starship classes for the federation side :)

darkservent
30-05-05, 18:17
I wanna be Species 8472 wotever there called, they kick anyones asses anyday. Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Omnituens
30-05-05, 19:44
I can see myself in Engineering and performing lots of upgrades to the core, and during the heat of battle, trying to prevent a breach if they do add that into the game.
do ye olde eject the core into their face and shoot it

pwned!

Dr Strange
30-05-05, 19:45
I wanna be Species 8472 wotever there called, they kick anyones asses anyday. Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

One letter for you

"Q"

:)

"Oh look species 8472 is invading from fluiding space" *snaps fingers* "And now they are all single celled amoebia in a petri dish"

pwnage on a grand scale ;)

dark_reaper
30-05-05, 21:27
do ye olde eject the core into their face and shoot it

pwned!

That would be me.

"Captain, the warp core has been ejected, fire phazers. BANG!!!"

"Captain, I will begin construction on a new warp core."