PDA

View Full Version : So here i am.....

Bugs Gunny
22-05-05, 13:45
I do some extra work for an accountancy company with 12 computers and two servers. One NT4 and a 2003 SBS.

The 2003 has 5 disks. One raid container in mirroring containting the C drive and one raid 5 with the E (data).

On friday the second raid container went corrupt, i was at work, so i told them to call a company which i know does good work to come fix it and put the backup back on it (two of the three disks went out).

They didn't have people available till the afternoon, so without informing me the accountancy people called a small computerstore in the neighbourhood..........

At 2pm i get a call. The server won't reboot and the guy says he wiped the first container with the C drive..... Primary domain controler gone.....

The guy took the server to his store and said he would at least reinstall.....

I'm here now and i see a win2000 server installation on it, with irq conflict for the cdrom, and on top of that the girl who was supposed to change the backup tapes forgot to change them the last two days......

SOMEONE GET ME A GUN SO I CAN START GOING POSTAL !!!!!!!!

[TgR]KILLER
22-05-05, 13:49
reinstall win2k3 doesn't take that long :p just set it up after that. and trow the newest backup back you got if the bitch din't change the tapes its her mistake not yours :p

then agian to start with you should always take matters in your own hand not let other people call people and fix stuff. doesn't work ;x

Bugs Gunny
22-05-05, 13:58
Well, it seems i'll have to go get a new w2003sbs, siunce they no longer have the barcode thingy or the cd's. I took over this job from a realy realy messy guy.

I know reinstalling doesn't take that long, but there was about 7 other large softwares installed on it, and i don't seem to be able to acces the ntbackup made tapes with this w2000 version. I get the directory structure with questionmarks.....

Maybe incompatible with newer versions? Anyway, i doubt i'll be able to do a temporary active directory restore from a w2003 on a w2000.

Terkantia
22-05-05, 15:06
Wow, far worse than we had chatted about . . .

No, as far as compatability between backups go, you won't get the 2K to pull the 2K3 dir structures or data. A clean install though of 2k3sbs should allow you to rebuild it all, with0out much (foreseeable, but none the less probably inaccurate) trouble.

For me, at least, there is nothing worse than cleaning up a mess form someone who not only didnt really know what was going on (technically) but thought they knew EXACTLY wtf they were doing . . .

Bugs Gunny
22-05-05, 16:06
So far i've remade the domain, checked a load of tapes for stuff.
Remade the useraccounts and restored the accountancy software they run.
Printers ok.

On mondaynight reinstallation of server, restore of AD from tape, which probably will give me a fucked up registry due to missing software and reinstallation of exchange.

I'm going to go back to school and study to be a farmer......

bubba
22-05-05, 16:29
It's posts like this that remind me how happy I am to be out of the computer industry as a career. You bring back memories, Bugs :lol: