PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Star wars - Revenge of the sith

Infinite
19-05-05, 05:24
Just saw it in the UK

12:30 showing :S

I wasn't that impressed, all me mates except 1 went with really loved it but most of them play SWG...

I thought he spent most of the time tying up lose ends he should never of made in the first 2. I loved the fights etc but the film as a whole was nothing compared to the first 3 (never expected it to be though :) ) and worse than episode 1/2.

what did you think?

naimex
19-05-05, 08:52
well it played first time in Denmark, 8 hours 30 minutes ago, performance number 2 is 15:30 (thats in 7 hours), and I´m seeing it then.

but I think I´ll love it.

Because pretty much no matter how crappy it might be, it will still complete the intersection missing from Anakins rage over his mothers death in episode 2, and his evergoing thoughts of being unjustfully treated by Obi Wan, to the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader.

I like it when I can draw a straight line through all movies, and I am 100 % sure that that line will be drawn with this movie.

And since I have great faith in George Lucas I am pretty sure that this movie will take me to the peak of my expectations.

However, I shall happily give you my opinion after the movie.

Dribble Joy
19-05-05, 13:14
I might bimble along to the odeon and see if they still have any seats left.

Bugs Gunny
19-05-05, 13:18
[ edited ]

nobby
19-05-05, 14:17
hmm....i'll go see it on saturday when Daddy has no work :p

Brammers
19-05-05, 14:20
7 hours to go before I see it...

Vae Victis
19-05-05, 14:27
7 hours to go before I see it... 24 hours for me :(

Morganth
19-05-05, 15:59
Seeing it tonight at 9:15, have to pick up the tickets at 7:30 and wait at the cinema till then 8|

Tankz0r
19-05-05, 16:13
ill go see it at my leisure, got a broken arm at the mo, so cant go to work, so i can pretty much go see it when i want :)

i loved the original 3 loved part 1 and 2 im sure no.3 will be just as good.

10mins of obi v Anakin fighting, im down with that :lol:

Heavyporker
19-05-05, 16:45
The movie was... AWESOME! I frigging love the space battle!

General Greivous was a real S.O.B.

You wouldn't believe how bad-ass Senator Palpatine is, but Mace Windu > Sen. Palpatine, is all I'll say.

Ending fights were spectacular. I just gotta say - Obi-Wan, you FOOL! You left him alive!!!

[ edited ]

Obsidian X
19-05-05, 16:52
I'll probably pop down to the cinemas tomorrow while everyone else is at work. Looking forward to seeing it.

Tratos
19-05-05, 16:58
Going to the 8pm showing.

Opar
19-05-05, 17:15
Im really starting to get into the whole Star Wars thing now. Not obsessive but hey, I just wanna know everything that ever happened in the whole star wars universe, I was looking around, and I found this site http://www.timelineuniverse.net/History.htm it APPEARS to have the whole star wars saga in chronological order, including all the games, books, comics etc.

Looks like an interesting read tbh.

naimex
19-05-05, 19:11
The movie was... AWESOME!

That is the most accurate description I can give.

Jesterthegreat
19-05-05, 19:50
i should go see it...

and the guide too...

CMaster
19-05-05, 21:09
You won't be impressed by The Guide, sadly. SW - I'll prob see it this week.

Spermy
19-05-05, 21:35
Woah!

Fuck me mate, it's only a film - lose the hostility!!! :lol:

Infinite
19-05-05, 22:11
[ edited ]

[ edited ]It might not of been as good as I expected/hoped in many ways but it was definitely a movie I'd go and see again at 12:30 in the morning just to see the first showing. Go to the cinema ffs it ties up 30 years of film.

[ edited ]

[ edited ]

Phlith
19-05-05, 22:34
ive never seen a full star wars movie.. although i did see about 30 mins of episode 1.. was kinda cool

naimex
19-05-05, 22:39
ive never seen a full star wars movie.. although i did see about 30 mins of episode 1.. was kinda cool

you need to stay in more lol :p

Tratos
20-05-05, 00:15
Going to the 8pm showing.
Just got back from seeing the 8pm showing.

Ahem,
Star Wars Episode III Fucking Owns.

I want to say more but i aint spoiling it :)

naimex
20-05-05, 00:43
I want to say more but i aint spoiling it :)

thats a good lad :D you have resisted the dark side...

but damn it´s tempting :p

Street
20-05-05, 00:47
saw the first showing this morning at 10:30am
i was REALLY impressed with it (not in a biased SW fan) - the story is ace, every little detail was well scripted, and the ending - it just ties up every last detail perfectly.
Go see it if you haven't yet.

jedi Knight - Dark Knights

Morganth
20-05-05, 01:43
I think it was great, although Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was crap tbh.

Yoda taking on Darth Sidious was cool, when he walks into the room and the guards get killed at the wave of a hand :lol:

Brammers
20-05-05, 02:00
I think it was great, although Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was crap tbh.

Yoda taking on Darth Sidious was cool, when he walks into the room and the guards get killed at the wave of a hand :lol:

And they really didn't see that one coming! :D

Just seen it, was damm good. Downside, was I somehow left my lights on, and had to wait 1 hour for the RAC to come along and give me a jump start.

Dribble Joy
20-05-05, 11:35
You won't be impressed by The Guide, sadly.
It's not a laugh your balls off comedy, but it really wasn't meant to be.
That said some bits could have been done a lot better, especially in choosing the actress for Trillian.

Go see it anyway.

Nidhogg
20-05-05, 11:43
No more spoilers on this thread post, or closed, it will be.

N

Bugs Gunny
20-05-05, 11:52
[ edited ]

Crest
20-05-05, 11:54
I will see it soon,

The story line is obvious, mebe a few twists, but hey
Anitken grows up, he goes bad, probably marries the woman , the one all the fuss is about.

Gets turned, becomes bad ... puts on a mask.
While woman has 2 babies
Lots of Jedis die in the way ... and leads us to a new hope ....

What I did not mention is lots of cool lights, lasers, shooting and toys.

Street
20-05-05, 12:00
No more spoilers on this thread post, or closed, it will be.

N

Yes master Yod'hogg

Nidhogg
20-05-05, 12:02
The next time I have to edit someone for discussing how they're downloading or otherwise pirating this movie I will also give them an instant 24 hour ban. Discussion of piracy is not permitted on this forum.

N

Tidus_Origin
20-05-05, 12:22
Alright..that's it. See this movie, I must :D

-----/--\
----/----\
:mad:-/------\-:eek:

Jesterthegreat
20-05-05, 14:11
It's not a laugh your balls off comedy, but it really wasn't meant to be.
That said some bits could have been done a lot better, especially in choosing the actress for Trillian.

Go see it anyway.

i gotta dig out the origional... wanna watch that again before i see the remake :p

Morganth
20-05-05, 14:32
See the movie tonight again I will, enjoyable very much it is.

:angel:

Digital-Talios
20-05-05, 15:47
Eh what a depressing film. It was one of those films you just cant see over and over. I thought the plot lines were weak and character actions unbelievable. I still dont get how the Death Star is the ultimate weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. We as puny 2005 humans have the ability to destroy our planet. With this I think the Death Star in Star Wars is like our daisy cutter in real life. George Lucas needed to come up with better super weapons...

2 out of 4 stars

Gulinborsti
20-05-05, 18:14
I almost had tears in my eyes for the whole length of the movie. Tears of anger, frustation and uncontrolled laughs about the ridiculous dialogues.

Sorry mates, Mr. Lucas gave us another piece of "see what my special effects division can do". A real bad piece of directing, screenplay and a lot of bad acting...

Disappointing.

Netphreak
20-05-05, 18:19
Saw it last night well impressed was pretty much everything i hoped it would be.
Also George Lucas done a fantastic job of tying up the lose ends so it ties up with Episode 4.

So all i'm waiting of now is my new guitar and KK realise Neocron potential! (Or at the very least give us a patch, and follow that with a patch atleast every other week :) )

Tratos
20-05-05, 18:28
Seems to be very much a love or hate film....

Digital-Talios
20-05-05, 18:28
trying... to... resist... the... urge.... to .... play... SWG.... again... :mad:

Animated
20-05-05, 18:32
Can someone just confirm for me, without spoiling too much, that Darth Sidious is not Senator Palpatine? To me it seems fairly obvious he isn't, but some of my friends aren't sure. Thanks in advance.

Digital-Talios
20-05-05, 18:34
he is. they are both the same person. its his special name like anakin is to palpatine as darth vader is to darth sidious.

Gulinborsti
20-05-05, 18:42
Can someone just confirm for me, without spoiling too much, that Darth Sidious is not Senator Palpatine? To me it seems fairly obvious he isn't, but some of my friends aren't sure. Thanks in advance.Are you joking? It's definitaly no spoiler when I tell you that everyone knew it since Epsiode I: The Phantom Menace.

Omnituens
21-05-05, 00:51
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes

i went to the gathering outside the cinema in Lesiceter Square on monday, saw the ochestra playing the classics and saw the star go down the red carpet

OM Chewwie actoris freaking tall. Then again, i think he was stood next to kenny baker at the same time.

so hax, 50 of use with our lightsabres purchased from <some internet company i cant mention due to being slapped by nid for advertising> and all raided the square

got so many people wanting to buy mine and i was like... erm no, dont make me hit you with this thing.

If you want to do a search for it. its the Force FX sabres.

darkservent
22-05-05, 01:24
Saw it, great movie really completes it. Damn that line "your breaking my heart" that padame says is sooooo fuckin cheeesy as a piece of chedder. I think some of the dialoges wernt as good as the first 2. Ah well its all done over and kapishhhhhhh. Now I wanna hear the news on if theres gonna be a series on it or not.

Tratos
22-05-05, 02:05
Saw it, great movie really completes it. Damn that line "your breaking my heart" that padame says is sooooo fuckin cheeesy as a piece of chedder. I think some of the dialoges wernt as good as the first 2. Ah well its all done over and kapishhhhhhh. Now I wanna hear the news on if theres gonna be a series on it or not.
This is George Lucas were talking about... i dont even think hes finished with the originals yet O_o lol :lol:

Phlith
22-05-05, 02:58
well i just saw the movie, and since ive never seen another star wars movie... i think i might rent the rest and watch em.. was a very cool movie :)

System
22-05-05, 03:02
i give it 10 sexes

stebedford
22-05-05, 03:13

hope i dont spoil the suprise or anything but theres going to be an animated series in 3d and some smaller films about some of the "not so well known" Characters that appear in smaller parts in the movies :)

Gotterdammerung
22-05-05, 05:46
When they were filming the very first movie, Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford had the prop department make up this special apparatus for Lucas. It was 2 squeeze horns (like on a bicycle) at different pitches mounted on a tripod. 1 had a sign that said "faster" the other sign said "more intense", that according to the actors distills Lucas directing style. Thats all he used to ask for on every take, the horns were a joke so that he didn't have to speak it anymore, just beep it.

I don't think anyone thinks any of these films are cinematic genius (and he's never been known for good dialog) , they are just fun entertainment pure & simple

Mr Friendly
22-05-05, 05:50
it sucked imho

the main point of this episode is of Aniken turning to the dark side & becoming darth vader....some drama that turned out to be 8|

"so hey um...will you be my master?..."

"yea sure..."

"..ok.."

:wtf:

Infinite
22-05-05, 07:12
it sucked imho

the main point of this episode is of Aniken turning to the dark side & becoming darth vader....some drama that turned out to be 8|

"so hey um...will you be my master?..."

"yea sure..."

"..ok.."

:wtf:
Yup, thats what I'm talking about. The movie as a whole was a quality watch and really entertaining it just didnt hit the spot in the areas that it should of IMO.

I know it was just a move and will never hit the mark 75% but I don't think it explained 90% of what it should to ppl that haven't read the books, but i guess ppl that haven't read hte books don't care and only wanted a "Entertaining quality watch"

Meh mixed minds, could of been better :)

Bugs Gunny
22-05-05, 09:45
I'm a starwars fan, but this one was just made up of BAD acting and good special effects.

Heavyporker
22-05-05, 17:27
Good??!?! The CGI's merely good, Bugs?!

The CGI in this movie sets the benchmark for all future movies, just as the first ones did in their time. The *only* time I'd niggle about the CGI would be the un-helmeted Clone troopers. These just looked "off". Everything else was top-tier.

You may not give Lucas credit for anything, but he practically fathered CGI as the industry it is today.

nobby
22-05-05, 17:38
Just came back from seeing it and it HAS to be The Best Starwars Film I've seen In my Entire Life!!!

I loved it!

I read that the film "Starwars" shall be re-done so lets get rdy for that :p

Hehe i remember it and the fighting scene looked like a re-inactment of a War you might see from a Drama group on a field ! :lol: :p :lol:

Overall Gets 5 stars

Fucking loved it!

Heavyporker
22-05-05, 19:17
Pft. Star Wars 4-6 been re-done like 5 times. :rolleyes:

And yes, the opening battle in 'Sith' was absolutely amazing. It is without peer.

Guys, how many of you love the circular Drone control ships?

I think they're so frigging awesome. And the drone battle fighters! HOW AWESOME?!?! They can walk, they can fly, they got blasters and missles... I love 'em, I love 'em!!!

Oh, and Droidekas > all.

eprodigy
22-05-05, 22:38
i liked this one a lot, just saw it. miles above ep 1-2 for me and almost up there with the original trilogy.

i got ahold the new DVD and in Ep6 i noticed they edited out vaders ghost with hayden, thought that was funny ;)

Heavyporker
22-05-05, 22:49
0_o????!?!?!?!

Are you bs-ing me, eprodigy?!?

Tratos
22-05-05, 23:21
Nope, in ep6 Anakin is infact the young dude and theres also a celebration shot from naboo in the sequence at the end just incase people began to question where it went ;)

Heavyporker
23-05-05, 00:31
*groans*

SO ridiculous...

darkservent
23-05-05, 00:45
I read that the film "Starwars" shall be re-done so lets get rdy for that :p

And where you read that, is it just goin to be edited more or remade from scratch. George Lucas said he wont be doin nothin with Starwars anymore, that was it for him.

Obsidian X
23-05-05, 00:54
Nope, in ep6 Anakin is infact the young dude and theres also a celebration shot from naboo in the sequence at the end just incase people began to question where it went ;)

They also edited the scene in Empire Strikes Back where Vader makes contact with the Emperor. McDiarmid wasn't the Emperor in the original, but his visage and voice have been added to that scene.

eprodigy
23-05-05, 01:54
yep that too, although i believe mcdirmid actually did play the emperor in 6 when he actually came to the new death star ?

finaly found a site with some of the changes in screenshots.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/6-02-1997.jpghttp://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/6-02-2004.jpg
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

Heavyporker
23-05-05, 05:27
That can't be!

Nooo!!!

No!!!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Street
23-05-05, 12:22
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: !!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneoneone

Gulinborsti
23-05-05, 13:13
Darth Vader: Where's the Star Wars spirit? Is it safe and alive?

Lord Sidious: Sorry Anakin, you killed it.

Darth Vader: NOOOOOooooooooo!
I hope these edits are fakes, I just decided to buy episode 4 - 6 to recover from watching 1 - 3. But this is incredible ridiculous ...

Digital-Talios
23-05-05, 16:19
And where you read that, is it just goin to be edited more or remade from scratch. George Lucas said he wont be doin nothin with Starwars anymore, that was it for him.

ah good then the dialogue etc. shall be better in the next three ;)

DigestiveBiscui
24-05-05, 00:00
awesome film

nuff said

Tratos
24-05-05, 00:24
I bet it sucks to be the old Anakin and find they've just edited you out of the films :/ sucks tbh but the edits are true for the ep 4-6 box set.

El Jimben
24-05-05, 12:40
I'm lucky enough to have the three original films on VHS from when they were originally released. Grainy sound/picture for the win!

Obsidian X
24-05-05, 15:47
yep that too, although i believe mcdirmid actually did play the emperor in 6 when he actually came to the new death star?

Yeah, McDiarmid was the Emperor in RotJ. I saw Episode III yesterday, and it varied from great at parts, to awful at others. Darth Vader wouldn't ever say "noooooooooooooooooooooo" - thats unbelievably ridiculous, there are others but I don't want to post spoilers.

Edit: And Palapatine was the best character in that film, truly evil. And David Prowse+James Earl Jones > Hayden Christensen.

CMaster
24-05-05, 15:50
Yeah, the noooooooo seemed a bit forced. I really enjoyed the film though.

Heavyporker
24-05-05, 17:10
What the hell clod of ossified plaque broke off and lodged in Luca's fucking pea-skull?!?!

WTF!

Butchering that Jedi ghost scene for what?!?!?

Yoda got old, his ghost looks like what he used to just before dying. Obi-wan got old, and his ghost looks like what he used to before he got lopped in half. Now, why is Anakin's ghost like his 30 years younger self?!?

CMaster
24-05-05, 17:15
Becuase that is when Anakin died. Think about it - he NEVER EVER looked like the ghost inthe original version. It makes sense.

Obsidian X
24-05-05, 17:24
Another thing I liked about the film is the way technology is starting to look similar to Episode 4 5 and 6. The ship Palpatine and Vader are on at the end looks near enough like a Star Destroyer. The clone troops look more like Stormtroopers now, and a couple of the starfighters you see in the film sound (even though they don't look all that much like) TIE fighters.

Tratos
24-05-05, 18:14
Another thing I liked about the film is the way technology is starting to look similar to Episode 4 5 and 6. The ship Palpatine and Vader are on at the end looks near enough like a Star Destroyer. The clone troops look more like Stormtroopers now, and a couple of the starfighters you see in the film sound (even though they don't look all that much like) TIE fighters.
yeah the x-wingy things looked win aswell.

Digital-Talios
24-05-05, 18:25
in the closing scene of eps. 3 you can see the death star. if it is like 20 years from eps. 3 to 4 then why is it when they refer to the death star as being new? did it take 20 years to iron out the detials? wonder how they could of kept something like that a secret for that long... as well as never updating any technology on the thing heh.

p.s. I still think that the death star in star wars time was not a big advance in WMDs. With their kind of technology it would be like a moab not a nuclear bomb haha

Heavyporker
24-05-05, 19:59
Oy. the Triple-wing fighters looked so pwn.

I gotta say, I'm still really sweet on that mirror-finish, really organic Naboo ships. You know, these two that Amidala used to fly in? So freaky deaky sweet.

Digital-Talios
24-05-05, 20:41
dreams of the star wars series on tv....

sanityislost
25-05-05, 04:58
it was ok, the only real bit that pissed me off was the "i love you", "no i love
you", "hold meh like u did at that frigging lake"....well guess they had to give her
something to say apart from her just crapping out some kids and kicking the
bucket :lol:

Mind you it did show what a heartless bastard obi-wan is, letting his so called
brother burn in flames instead of just sticking his lightsaber in darths face
(yea i know he had to live lol, but still)

SiL ..:..

YA5
25-05-05, 05:55
StarWars is a worse Story with a boring Content ... its most stupid i've ever seen ...

Yust my 3452346 Coins

imper1um
25-05-05, 08:05
Episode 3 was f'in kick ass graphics to the max. Lightsaber duels were kick ass, but shorter than Episode 2 I think. I think that General Grevious' duel should have been longer.

The acting...sucked. Although, if you go to this movie to see the acting, you are in the wrong place, buster. Other than that, the effects are awesome. Two things you should not mess with: Yoda and R2D2. R2D2 will kick your ass and never get hit. It's just hilarious in fire fights that R2 will never get hit, even though he has like 1000 bullets heading his way. :)

Heavyporker
25-05-05, 14:41
Gen. Grevious' fight was just so.. intense.

Firstly, there's the huge ballage for obi-wan to solo the fucker and his 100 droid bodyguards, right?

Not to mention, he's got one of these huge-ass komodo dragons for a pony bitch, yo?

NOW he goes and chop-sueys with Grevious!

then he goes and forgets his "The lightsaber is an elegant weapon. It's more precise than a blaster." Ha ha ha ha!

sanityislost
25-05-05, 14:49
HP....put down the crack dude o_O
but yea that fight was rather cool, just a shame there
wasnt more of the jedi's getting killed off by the clone troops

SiL ..:..

Jesterthegreat
25-05-05, 15:05
not bad i guess... nothing amazing though

Ch1n Th3 M4g
25-05-05, 15:43
quite good
to long i thought
ass falling off buy the end tbh

nobby
25-05-05, 23:36
when anakin gets his legs cut off, you see qui gon jin to the side of obiwan nodding with a smile on his face... :lol:

Nidhogg
25-05-05, 23:48
This is the last warning on spoilers. I've still not seen this movie yet and if any of you lot ruin it for me I will make it my business to make you suffer for the rest of your life. Both seconds of it.

N

[TgR]KILLER
26-05-05, 00:17
This is the last warning on spoilers. I've still not seen this movie yet and if any of you lot ruin it for me I will make it my business to make you suffer for the rest of your life. Both seconds of it.

N

let a copbot check this thread for evil people :p don't read it niddy ! just as much as i won't read it :p din't see it yet eighter.

Morganth
26-05-05, 01:20

N

Haven't you tried doing that to me since my first and second forum bans? :p

Kuya
26-05-05, 12:25
Yoda > all tbfh

Morganth
26-05-05, 12:38
Yoda > all tbfh

I'll second that. The bit where he drops the two red guards made everyone in the cinema burst out into laughter :lol:

Capt. Rik
26-05-05, 13:29
Seeing it tomorrow, skipped over everthing after the first page of this thread.

Have a Star Wars animated gif...

http://www.captainrik.net/lsfight.gif

nobby
26-05-05, 14:11

N

The thread does say "spoilers".... :lol:

Capt. Rik
26-05-05, 14:28
The thread does say "spoilers".... :lol:

It didn't to start with ;)

Nidhogg
26-05-05, 16:19
The [SPOILERS] tag was added for the benefit of other forum users as I don't have the luxury of being able to ignore threads.

N

Vae Victis
26-05-05, 16:40
Obi 1 is a fekking careturtle

if he were NCAT/VENOM he wouldve killed darth vader properly

tbh

Heavyporker
26-05-05, 19:06
*contemplates telling in detail the killing of the you know whos by you-know-who at the you-know-what. I think I know the total number of you-know-whos killed at you-know-who's hand.*

Vae Victis
26-05-05, 19:27
*contemplates telling in detail the killing of the you know whos by you-know-who at the you-know-what. I think I know the total number of you-know-whos killed at you-know-who's hand.* we're talking bout star wars, not harry potter
you-know-who is harry pothead

Morganth
26-05-05, 19:30
we're talking bout star wars, not harry potter
you-know-who is harry pothead

"You know who" isn't copyright'd by whoever owns HP, so therefore Porker can use it in whatever context he wants.

He is in fact talking about Anakin ;)

Vae Victis
26-05-05, 19:33
He is in fact talking about Anakin ;)thanks for pointing that out, captain obvious :p (;))

jernau
26-05-05, 19:34
And where you read that, is it just goin to be edited more or remade from scratch. George Lucas said he wont be doin nothin with Starwars anymore, that was it for him.Nonsense, he is already commited to making at least two new SW-based TV series. Also bear in mind he said the same thing after he finished Jedi. Lucas is nothing if not greedy and the only thing I can see stopping him making another three movies (as was his plan after New Hope) is if he dies. Even then I bet the studio will do it and tbh it wouldn't be hard to find much, much better writers and directors.

I'm a starwars fan, but this one was just made up of BAD acting and good special effects.You might want to have another look at Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher's performances ;).

in the closing scene of eps. 3 you can see the death star. if it is like 20 years from eps. 3 to 4 then why is it when they refer to the death star as being new? did it take 20 years to iron out the detials? wonder how they could of kept something like that a secret for that long... as well as never updating any technology on the thing heh.My guess is it's the prototype that's mentioned in some of the books (which also explain how it's kept secret).

As for the film itself - I really liked it. I think it did an admirable job of linking the other two prequels to the original trilogy. The SFX were of course first rate, as was the musical score and most of the acting was at least good. The only downsides were Hayden Christensen and the script (someone should really confiscate Lucas' cayons and/or stop him watching Fox News).

As for that HHGTTG fiasco all I can say is that it didn't take Adams' estate long to sodomise his memory. Tossers!

Heavyporker
26-05-05, 19:55
Actually, guys, if you read the star wars universe books, there's a small trilogy that specifically deals with the Death Star prototype in the Maw of the Kessel Run (I think). Wedge Antilles, the quantum armored fighter ship, an orphan strong in the force, and all that. Plus a sexy avian femme scientist. Mrrowww...

This could be THAT very prototype. That'd explain a great deal. Not to mention, guys, we're talking about a moon-size station. Designing it would take fucking forever (we're talking technical specs where everything has to be engineered down to the last millimeter - even more precise specs when you're dealing with the superweapon hookups and all that).

Then there's the construction. Fully fitting it out, fueling it up, provisioning... each stage alone would take years.

Morganth
26-05-05, 20:31
thanks for pointing that out, captain obvious :p (;))

Right, if I ever make a new character I know what to call him :D

Digital-Talios
26-05-05, 20:58
Actually, guys, if you read the star wars universe books, there's a small trilogy that specifically deals with the Death Star prototype in the Maw of the Kessel Run (I think). Wedge Antilles, the quantum armored fighter ship, an orphan strong in the force, and all that. Plus a sexy avian femme scientist. Mrrowww...

This could be THAT very prototype. That'd explain a great deal. Not to mention, guys, we're talking about a moon-size station. Designing it would take fucking forever (we're talking technical specs where everything has to be engineered down to the last millimeter - even more precise specs when you're dealing with the superweapon hookups and all that).

Then there's the construction. Fully fitting it out, fueling it up, provisioning... each stage alone would take years.

From episode 3 to 4 is about 20 years or so me thinks. So from designing (esp.2) to protoype (esp.3) to actual completion (esp.4) it seams alittle too long. Guess they could of built the prototype design a few different times to work out the bugs. However in esp. 6 the second death star was nearly complete. Seams alittle sketchy to me. I think Lucas threw it in there at the very end as a fan pleaser :lol:

Only actual use for hte death star me thinks is or was the ability to blow up large capital ships in one shot (eps. 6) but is it worth it for the incredible man power required to build and maintain the vessel? Talk about throwing all your eggs in one basket.

Jesterthegreat
26-05-05, 21:31
From episode 3 to 4 is about 20 years or so me thinks. So from designing (esp.2) to protoype (esp.3) to actual completion (esp.4) it seams alittle too long. Guess they could of built the prototype design a few different times to work out the bugs. However in esp. 6 the second death star was nearly complete. Seams alittle sketchy to me. I think Lucas threw it in there at the very end as a fan pleaser :lol:

Only actual use for hte death star me thinks is or was the ability to blow up large capital ships in one shot (eps. 6) but is it worth it for the incredible man power required to build and maintain the vessel? Talk about throwing all your eggs in one basket.

i thought it was designed to destroy whole planets?

tbh i havent watched the original films in years though

jernau
27-05-05, 00:47

Never underestimate the incompetence of government building projects. Most councils couldn't get a shed built in 20 years, forget about a Death Star.

As for it's uses - look up the origins of the phrase "gunboat diplomacy".

Tratos
27-05-05, 01:16
Some reasonable answers to the Death Star stuff :)

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds/#catalogue
This site shows a catalogue of the 'Death Stars' created, the one at the end of EpIII is infact the first incarnation of the Death Star but is not what became to be know as the first Death Star, the one in EpIII is 'The Great Weapon'

There is infact another 'Death Star' project between 'The Great Weapon' and 'The First Death Star'

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds/ruction.html#cprototype
Above you'll find some cool information about the construction of all the Death Star-esque creations :)

Street
27-05-05, 01:44
I will make it my business to make you suffer for the rest of your life. Both seconds of it.N

Nid stop watching demolition man ffs!!

HA HA pwned! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nidhogg
27-05-05, 10:59
Well you really "licked" my ass there! :p Stay on topic or there'll be no Taco Bell for j00!

N

Mr Friendly
27-05-05, 11:25
when he's in his darth vader suit, & was just told by the lord guy that he killed his gf....i swear he did a reinactment of frankenstein @_@

jernau
27-05-05, 13:12
when he's in his darth vader suit, & was just told by the lord guy that he killed his gf....i swear he did a reinactment of frankenstein @_@
Funny, it reminded me more of The Simpsons ;).

Digital-Talios
27-05-05, 15:54
Never underestimate the incompetence of government building projects. Most councils couldn't get a shed built in 20 years, forget about a Death Star.

As for it's uses - look up the origins of the phrase "gunboat diplomacy".

A Star Destroyer was enough for this. Frankly with all of the uber technology in Star Wars i'd expect more then just a big laser on a small moon. I would think that something the size of a suitcase or maybe a small bus could blow up a planet.

jernau
27-05-05, 16:07
A Star Destroyer was enough for this. Frankly with all of the uber technology in Star Wars i'd expect more then just a big laser on a small moon. I would think that something the size of a suitcase or maybe a small bus could blow up a planet.
The rebels had capital ships as well.

Remember the aim is to control through fear of destruction not to actually destroy. Which is scarier, a bus or the biggest space station ever built?

Tbh it doesn't bear too much examination but it's not as stupid as some people try to make out and it's certainly consistent with contemporary military tactics (be they right or wrong).

Digital-Talios
27-05-05, 16:26
The rebels had capital ships as well.

Remember the aim is to control through fear of destruction not to actually destroy. Which is scarier, a bus or the biggest space station ever built?

Tbh it doesn't bear too much examination but it's not as stupid as some people try to make out and it's certainly consistent with contemporary military tactics (be they right or wrong).

The galaxy is large and vast with billions of stars and even more planets. It may be hard to get from one point to the other in a timely manner. If someone blew up a planet at one point but another planet across millions of light years wont be thinking about what the WMD looks like just that the empire could send it their way if they dont straighten up. Again the superlaser is over rated as a planet killer but 1 on 1 with capital ships it pwns all... unless you had a fighter with a punk kid who shot a torpedeo down a unprotected exhaust vent. This weakness (written in by lucas i might add) was redisgned and protected in the Death Star 2 designs.

Now later in the star wars timeline the Galaxy Gun was more "fearsome" weapon. Positioned above Byss the emperor could just shout a torpedeo nearly any where in the galaxy and the tordpedo when detonated would change matter into energy and destroy the planet. It could be refined to just destroy facilities too. A better weapon me thinks.

However the empire's security IT guys were out to lunch and R2D2 hacked into the Eclipse 2 and rammed the station :wtf:

jernau
27-05-05, 16:55
LOL

You remember that stuff a lot better than I do.

Realtime communication across galactic distances is clearly a solved problem though so there is value to a potent visual threat like the death star. Not all weapons and strategies can be assessed purely on their ability to inflict damage. Episode IV makes it clear the purpose of the Death Star is as a threat to keep invidual star systems from breaking away from the Empire.

Digital-Talios
27-05-05, 17:16
Of course. However in today's world we can recreate nearly any thing we want in CGI. So I would think in Star Wars time they would be able to reproduce images way better then we have. Just the rouse of such a threat would be enough to keep the wayward systems in line. Also the rumors of a destroyed planet will greatly enhance this. The Death Star was a very slow monster. I would hope that it would be able to get to the hot spots in time to put down any uprisings.

jernau
27-05-05, 17:20
I doubt you could pretend to destroy a planet or pretend to have a death star.

The thing is so big it would disturb orbits in any system it visited for a start which is a hard thing to fake.

Digital-Talios
27-05-05, 17:25
Im not talking about those directly affected. I am talking about those who are on the other side of the galaxy. how would they even know what happened? the media would tell them but that is easily subverted.

Vae Victis
27-05-05, 17:29
Right, if I ever make a new character I know what to call him :DHomo 1 Kenobi ?

jernau
27-05-05, 22:41
Im not talking about those directly affected. I am talking about those who are on the other side of the galaxy. how would they even know what happened? the media would tell them but that is easily subverted.
Hire your local Indiana Jones lookalike and go take a look?

It's pretty clear the Empire is a long way from having total control of either transport or information networks.

Mr Kot
28-05-05, 13:03
I don't have the luxury of being able to ignore threads.

N

Willpower is your friend ;)