PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Consoles - Which will you own?

Tratos
18-05-05, 00:31
So which one of these beasties will you be purchasing when they appear?

In order of being revealed:
Xbox 360 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4541961.stm) - Looks like a set-top box crossed with a PC tower trying to breathe in.
Playstation 3 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4554025.stm) - Looks like a bread bin crossed with a segment of a planes wing.
Nintendo Revolution (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4557443.stm) - Looks like an external CD Drive crossed with -shrugs-

Well thats wha i personally think they look like, lol i myself would like to end up with a PS3 and an Xbox 360, which i get first is down to what games are available quite soon after release,i.e. new Final Fantasy or Halo 3.

All the specs look pretty nice but Sony seem to have won this time round with the PS3 being twice as fast as the beast from Microsoft.

So the question is, which of these new next gen consoles will you guys be wanting/getting, i know its not exactly the best place to ask (a PC game forum, lol) but i thought i would.

ZoVoS
18-05-05, 00:42
erm all 3

Nidhogg
18-05-05, 01:05
It's a tricky one this time. The PS3 appears on paper to be much stronger than the XBOX 360 but Sony said the same thing about the PS2 vs XBOX so I'm going to wait on that one. With XBOX 360's earlier showing you'd think they'd have the advantage but XBOX has done well for itself even though it came later than PS2. Tricky. The PS3 tech demos look really good though (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140617) and I've owned the PS1 and PS2 so I guess I'll probably go for the full set.

N

Odin
18-05-05, 01:11
Xbox 360. It'll be out first. Interested in Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 3 will be launched around PS3's launch. Not to mention elder scrolls 4 and eventually a Ninja Gaiden 2 (the first was just amazing). I'll wait closer to PS3's launch to make a decision on whether I'd get one just cause I don't buy what they are putting out yet as Sony's prone to bs'ing when it comes to their marketing. I'll wait to see what games they launch with and to see how the games actually look as they are probably pimping cut scenes right now while MS is showing in game material.

Obsidian X
18-05-05, 01:17
Xbox 360. It'll be out first. Interested in Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 3 will be launched around PS3's launch. Not to mention elder scrolls 4 and eventually a Ninja Gaiden 2 (the first was just amazing). I'll wait closer to PS3's launch to make a decision on whether I'd get one just cause I don't buy what they are putting out yet as Sony's prone to bs'ing when it comes to their marketing. I'll wait to see what games they launch with and to see how the games actually look as they are probably pimping cut scenes right now while MS is showing in game material.

Damn I always wondered what they were doing with Perfect Dark Zero, last I heard it was coming out on the XBox. Perfect Dark was one of my all time fave games. Like most consoles, I'd have to base it on launch games, coupled with forthcoming titles. I probably won't buy one at launch anyway, but wait till releases increase and prices drop :rolleyes:

ZoVoS
18-05-05, 01:48
i heard there doing a FF for the xbox so i have to get one of dem, nintendo has always been my party console so i have to get one of them, and theres no way in hell GTA will be better on anything than a ps2, i duno why, looks better on my pc btu u dont get the same feal as on a ps2, so ill be getting a ps3 aswell, its not much to buy all 3.

and if i dont like one ill chip it download tons of games shove em on the HDD and sell on ebay :p prolly for a profit

ALSO i doubt very much even with the "better specs" the ps3 is suposed to have, that it will be better than a xbox360, sony tend to well, blatently lie about the capability of there machines, the only reason i like the playstation sieries is the fact the joypads are TEH WIN, but they have wrecked em in the ps3, there all long and pointy,

Omnituens
18-05-05, 01:58
PS3 all the way for me.

Jesterthegreat
18-05-05, 12:23
xbox has always had more potential, but playstation has the developers eating out of its hand :p

so i'll get the ps3 and the xbox 360.

Lexxuk
18-05-05, 14:22
i heard there doing a FF for the xbox

yep, ffxi is going on xbox 360, they are apparently updating the graphics for it to take advantage of the xbox's power, the PC owners are hoping for an upgrade in graphics too (pc version looks just like the ps2 version only with higher resolutions). the normal ff series should stay PS, with FFXII out around xmas time.

/edit - no major graphics update, might come out on PS2 and Revolution also, just read a Q&A from SE, will be future expansion packs.

Tidus_Origin
18-05-05, 15:30
For me, it's a dead heat between the PS3 and the X-Box 360. No idea which one I'm gonna get, but if the current generation of consoles is anything to go by, I'll probably end up owning both. :lol:

Nullvoid
18-05-05, 15:47
I already get plenty good gaming with me PC, so no consoles ty.

darkservent
18-05-05, 16:06
If I ever get a job then Ill go for both PS and Xbox. Theyll be my first consoles since Megadrive and the original Nintendo. I have a feeling that PS will kick ass though. XBOX will seem more appealing as well cause theyll integrate Media Center into it.

What are the specs on the Revolution, Nintendo have been real quiet. And they too also goin for ATI GFX. Looks like PS is the only Nvidia friendly lot.

Nidhogg
18-05-05, 16:10
Check out the Killzone 2 trailer here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/download.php?id=5833&type=mov&f=

PS3 looks like it could be quite interesting... ;)

N

Siygess
18-05-05, 16:15
I'm poor. Most likely, I'll be buying an original series XBox when the 360 comes out, just so I can play Halo and Halo 2 in co-op. Gyaaa!

Given the choice, I'd go for a 360. Love em or hate em, MS do know how to market their wares and the 360 sounds like a more interesting piece of kit to me. You've got to feel sorry for Nintendo though. They just haven't been able to compete in the console market since the Gamecube came out, and they are only leading the handheld market because the PSP isn't widespread yet.

Netphreak
18-05-05, 16:18
The problem with the PS3 is that it using a Cell based processor.
In theory a Cell processor could easily out perform a normal processor, but its like the up coming dual core processor's for PC's. The software needs to be written to take full advantage of it. Thats 7 threads they'lll need to implement to get the full benifit.
Due to this approach porting games to the PS3 and developing games for the PS3 will be much harder.
I think in the first year we will see this affect the amount of releases on the PS3.

Oh forgot to say Xbox will be much easier as well its still basically a PC and software developers will be trying to take advantage of the 2 core's available in PC's so developing or porting to the xbox which has 3 should be fairly easy.

darkservent
18-05-05, 16:52
Sex to PS3 all the way after seeing them trailers. Had a look at the XBOX 2 Game previews seemed to lag behind the PS3.

LOST
18-05-05, 18:27
Oh forgot to say Xbox will be much easier as well its still basically a PC and software developers will be trying to take advantage of the 2 core's available in PC's so developing or porting to the xbox which has 3 should be fairly easy.technically a mac.

dev kits were released a long time ago on dual G5 2.5ghz, 9800xts.
with 3 ibm 3.2ghz cores it is going to have some serious power behind it. (aside form the 'custom' gpu)
(can't be G4's as they dont get upto 3.2 and are motorola:wtf: )

xbox has always had more potential, but playstation has the developers eating out of its hand :ptrue.
xbox is way better than ps2. but for some reason people think otherwise. this is down to the developers more than the idiocy (i think). keep dreaming for gran turismo with xbox power and space for so much driving tastiness. :( .
if the xbox 360 gets some serious game love then it should hold its own if not better the sony.

TWOK
18-05-05, 20:23
All 3 just like I own xbox, GC, PS2. But I won't be an early adopter this time for sure, probably give it a year (unless I cave in :o ) and buy up lots of this gens gems for pennies to tide me over :)

Jesterthegreat
18-05-05, 21:09
xbox is way better than ps2. but for some reason people think otherwise. this is down to the developers more than the idiocy (i think). keep dreaming for gran turismo with xbox power and space for so much driving tastiness. :( .
if the xbox 360 gets some serious game love then it should hold its own if not better the sony.

aye thats how i see it.

the few games i have seen played on both consoles ahve looked better on xbox, but things like the FF or gran turismo games have been all PS2 thus far.

if good developers give the xbox 360 a chance it can truely shine :p

Odin
19-05-05, 03:43
I'm really digging the information on Gears of War so far. Elder Scrolls IV, Dark Sector, Call of Duty 2, The Darkness (done by the studio that did Chronicles of Riddick), Perfect Dark Zero, Quake IV, Dead or Alive IV, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon coming from the guy who used to be the president of Square till he took the fall for the failure of the FF movie and that's looking pretty strong. Along with Square's exclusive deal coming to an end with Sony and Xbox 360 looks like it could have 4 solid RPG's in the first year (without including possible new KOTOR, Fable).

Check out Gears of War though. Looks great.

Sounds like I'll be getting an xbox 360 first and see how it goes with PS3 before I pick one up.

Weirdest thing is that they are showing the xbox 360 stuff on alpha test kits that MS claims is only 30% of the power of the xbox 360.

Infinite
19-05-05, 22:44
Got a bunch a PCs, no need for something else clogging up my desk thats jsut for gaming :)

Nvidia
20-05-05, 00:37
Check out the Killzone 2 trailer here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/download.php?id=5833&type=mov&f=

PS3 looks like it could be quite interesting... ;)

N

I thought it was amazing until I found out every trailer Sony showed except for Fight Night and UT2007 were actually CGI, and there was actually even a nasty rumor that they weren't even running on the PS3 hardware, but a high-end computer instead.

As for what I'm getting, you need to look no further than my signature. ;)

I racked up 6 DAYS, or 144 hours in the combat simulator. My total time on COOP and Single player were somewhat close to 5 days. Perfect Dark was my all-time favorite game, and I'm hoping PD0 won't dissapoint. From what I've seen so far though, I don't think Odin or I have anything to worry about. ;)

Odin
20-05-05, 22:52
I just want a Ninja Gaiden 2 damnit! Although I'm sure Gears of War and Perfect Dark Zero would keep me entertained until such.

Heavyporker
22-05-05, 19:50
Why even bother with consoles?

Only reason to even bother would be if Neocron got ported to consoles.

Until that day comes, save your money, guys.

Opar
22-05-05, 21:11
<3 My PC.

Poopy consoles, only good for one thing - bonfire night.

[TgR]KILLER
22-05-05, 21:38
none hahaha..

only consoles i still have are from before the time we had a comp ( and the first comp we had was a 286 second was 386 then 486 and then a uber p200!

anyway only "consoles" are a gameboy. yes the old 1989 model :p and a atari 2600 <3

Nidhogg
22-05-05, 22:44
I just want a Ninja Gaiden 2 damnit!
Looks like you might need to get a PS3 then, if this quote from EvilAvatar.com is correct. ;)
An interesting thing happened on the way to speak with Team Ninja head Tomonobu Itagaki -- Ninja Gaiden 2 could not be confirmed on Xbox 360. Long assumed to be headed to Microsoft's next-gen system, it seems either Team Ninja isn't ready to make the 360 destination official or Gaiden 2 is secretly being developed for PS3 or GameCube Revolution. When we asked how NG 2 would improve on the 360, the translator let us know that Team Ninja would not confirm the next Gaiden for Xbox 2. That doesn't mean it isn't coming to 360, but it certainly opens the possibility for development on one of the other next-gen systems.
N