PDA

View Full Version : PSI Effects on mobs...

Obsidian X
15-05-05, 15:50
I'm just curious about this topic, as there never seems to be clear answers...

- My first question - does anyone actually use Provoke and Distract mind modules? I've never actually seen them in use..

- Secondly, does Para do anything to mobs? Some people swear it does, I myself have tested this and am convinced it doesn't.

- Why can you sometimes heal/shelter/def a mob by accident, and others you can't? Not that this is useful, but I've accidentally deflectored aggies as a nub many times, and come unstuck becuase of it. I've also managed to cast a deflector on my Reveller once or twice but I don't think it has any effect.

Can anyone answer these questions?

Dribble Joy
15-05-05, 16:05
Para does affect mobs, both speed and turning.

Great fun to HP a WB then run around it, shooting it in the back while it tries to turn to shoot you.

Jesterthegreat
15-05-05, 16:08
paraing flying mobs tends to keep them down... i have only tried this with fire mobs, not hoverbombers though :p

Dribble Joy
15-05-05, 16:09
Distract mind should still work, not sure though.

aKe`cj
15-05-05, 16:43
my ppu used distract-mind + sc outside the mc5 to get mobs away from rezz-clients.

Obsidian X
15-05-05, 17:52
Is there some rule about the Spell having to be a higher TL than the mob its targetted on (skill rank)? I don't know where I got this from but I definitely heard it somewhere...

Heavyporker
15-05-05, 19:28
Actually, I'm not sure about that, obsidian.

These psi modules are like Tl 90ish, and I'm quite sure there are no TL 120 psi modules at all, so with PPUs using these modules on MC5 guards (120/120s), that means the TL of the module is not at issue here.

aKe`cj
15-05-05, 19:35
Actually, I'm not sure about that, obsidian.

These psi modules are like Tl 90ish, and I'm quite sure there are no TL 120 psi modules at all, so with PPUs using these modules on MC5 guards (120/120s), that means the TL of the module is not at issue here.

There was something alike it in the item description or I read it somewhere else. I cant confirm it depends on the TL, could be dmg % or whatever else as well... however, the effect is not very useful -

1 mob targets you
2 you cast dm
3 mob looses its current target
4 mob looks for a target, finds you, go to 1

takes about a second before they shoot at you again... would be much better if you could distract a mob for at least 5-20 seconds, mob awakes when being shot at - but I guess that would mean reworking most mobs KI scripts, so I dont see this happening in nc2.
:)

Heavyporker
15-05-05, 19:38
Yep. Distract Mind only useful when PPU has a team or pet going.

Mostly useful to pull aggro off a dying team member.

Dribble Joy
15-05-05, 21:00
What it does is reset the aggro of a mob, so the nearest thing is then targeted.
Provoke should change the aggro of a mob from one thing to you.

Afaik.

sultana
17-05-05, 11:14
Para damages and (as other people have said) slows down the mob. It can be useful, though sometimes it's not even noticeable cause the mobs move that slow.

You can Shelter and Deflector mobs, so that it affects them. When you do this it always takes effect even if you can't see the spell animations on the mob, that's just a bug. Heal does nothing to a mob even if you can the animation on it. Also, just because you see the spell animation on a mob doesn't mean it's actually sheltered and/or deflectored.

For example, say I was dbing a mob and I needed to shelter my team mate, I could switch from db to shelter so that I "half-cast" the db on the mob. But, the shelter animation will pop on it. Doesn't mean the mob is sheltered, just looks like it, but it will take normal damage ;)