PDA

View Full Version : These are the voyages...

Dr Strange
14-05-05, 04:32
So the last episode of Enterprise just aired

For the first time in 18 years, there is no new Star Trek on the air. Some say this is a good thing, siting stalness and unlike of Enterprise and Voyager. Some say this is a very bad thing, as theres always been a Trek on the airwaves (in a current series not reruns).

I am of the latter. 15 years I've watched Trek. From season 4 of The Next Generation right up until the end of Enterprise season 4. From the Alpha quadrant to the Delta and Gamma. Wars and treaties, new species and technologies. I still maintain aside from Scape and anything written by Whedon, Trek is the best thing to ever grace tv.

And please, don't take that as me saying I'm one of the real hardcore fans who dress up and go to conventions. I'm just your everyday fan who really enjoys Trek. I know a handful of words in Klingon and other languages but I can't design a scale model for a Bird of Prey ;o or make my own Borg costume.

As for the last Enterprise, personally I hated. The episode was rushed, and the tie in to TNG was awful. It was great to see Riker and Troi one last time but it really did not fit into the Pegasus episode of TNG. The whole decision problem Riker has never tied into the last episode of Enterprise. I mean Archer helps Shran, and the start of the Federation. Other than Trip going kamikaze on the aliens disobeying Archer there wasn't ANYTHING that related to Rikers problem. And yes that one small thing did relate but not enough to warrant the series finale rotate around a 10+ year old TNG episode..

And to top it off we don't get to see the beginning of the Federation....

The ending was ok, with the narration from Picard and Kirk but wheres Sisko and Janeway? Granted Sisko wasn't the tried n true explorer, at least Janeway fit that as well. Sure she was just trying to get her crew home but damn they explored quite a bit along the way...

Some say things like tonights episodes are what killed Enterprise. Big corporations like Paramount want those Survivor/American Idol ratings numbers to justify keeping a show like this on the airwaves. I disagree I mean if you've kept up with the online movement of saving Enterprise, fans have damn near come close to making enough money to fund a 5th season....If the fans willingly will donate money to keep Trek going, what's that say about Paramount? They already hold fans over a barrell with the price of the season dvd's. Some of us have given them 18+ years of ratings. 15 for myself. 15 years of watching every week. 15 years of enjoying what they've given us. This is how they pay the fans back..

Don't take this as a rant. It sounds like that. A rant generally means letting go of frustration, sometimes in hopes of things changing. Things won't change for this. Enterprise won't have a 5th season. If there is another series, it will be many years down the road.

Stardate 59364.18, Trek died.

eprodigy
14-05-05, 04:51
long time trekkie here too :cool:

final 2 eps air here in about a half hour for me so i cant comment on them yet. i do feel this season/last few eps have been leaps and bounds better then the previous ones. im not really a huge fan of the cast of ent really bakula is alright but the rest are just OK (dont like montgomry at all, aka black guy). another thing that has always bothored me is to me the show looks really dull, like the colors are faded - perhaps its just the ship being very dull, or mabye its just me but it doesnt feel like the the trek i know. i did find the 'in the mirror darkly' episodes interesting how the dated (for us) constiution class ship looks cooler then the show's enterprise ;)

all in all this show ending doesnt hit me anywhere CLOSE to as hard as TOS/TNG ending, or DSN which I always really enjoyed. (voyager i didnt care a lot but it was half decent).

have you heard J. Michael Straczynski wanting to do another trek series ? (babylon 5 creater/producer/write, best science fiction series imo ;)) i think he could really pull something great, and he sounded like he wanted to stay true what roddenberry would have done. apparently some kind of political issue in paramount is stopping it, I think theres some petitions out there.

Jesterthegreat
14-05-05, 14:22
hope they show red dwarf instead... some real space program :p

Brammers
14-05-05, 15:02
I'll be watching it later. Although I think they lost their way with Season 3 a bit.

Xian
14-05-05, 17:19
I disagree I mean if you've kept up with the online movement of saving Enterprise, fans have damn near come close to making enough money to fund a 5th season....If the fans willingly will donate money to keep Trek going, what's that say about Paramount?

I think they were about $25m off - and what does that say about regular people? More than willing to donate millions just to a television show..

darkservent
14-05-05, 19:44
Well its a shame Im gonna see the ep soon so lets see wots it like. Shame that trek series is on hold for a few years or so. I was hoping to see enterprise develop more. I gotta say it was a dam interesting show even the bit of scepticism I had when they announced it was a prequal.

Its not the only show to halt, The wankers that call themself SCI-FI really are retards, they bloody axed Andromeda. Ah well all thats left is SG and Battlestar Galactica(cant wait for the new season) on our screens(definatly cant wait for the next seasons).

Dr Strange
14-05-05, 22:10
Ah well all thats left is SG and Battlestar Galactica(cant wait for the new season) on our screens(definatly cant wait for the next seasons).

Can't say I was a Andromeda fan but Sci Fi has a few shows left. BSG, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are all awesome.

darkservent
15-05-05, 16:54
I think to some ppl Andromeda looked cheesy (especially the fist fight scenes) but this last season really revealed alot abt the characters. If they carried on it would be bloody great.

Dr Strange
15-05-05, 20:46
I think to some ppl Andromeda looked cheesy (especially the fist fight scenes) but this last season really revealed alot abt the characters. If they carried on it would be bloody great.

I just don't like Kevin Sorbo...

Toxen
15-05-05, 22:19
Andromeda obviously didn't pull the fan base that some sci-fi shows did in the past just look at what happend with farscape if fans want andromeda back they'll mobilise and I think SciFi would probably listen to em.

As for enterprise... people go around acting like its the end of star trek when ST moved far beyond just been a TV show long ago infact I'd go as far as saying the community that developed because of the original shows is a greater part of the legacy now than the show itself but thats just my opinion.

Dr Strange
16-05-05, 00:14
Andromeda obviously didn't pull the fan base that some sci-fi shows did in the past just look at what happend with farscape if fans want andromeda back they'll mobilise and I think SciFi would probably listen to em.

Well as much as I love Farscape I wouldn't quote that as something the fans saved.

At best we got a rushed 2 hour "miniseries" (read: tv movie) that had several key voices/characters missing. Sure it tied up the fuck-load of loose threads that the season 4 finale left but it wasn't what fans really wanted. I mean I wanted closure too, but something a little more thought out, definitely something longer than 2 measely hours..

We didn't save Farscape we just gave it a final resting place that didnt do it justice.

Toxen
16-05-05, 00:23
ok words perhaps a little hasty there on my part but i feel it wrapped up the novella well what was left to deal with but crytons child season 4 had wrapped up most story arcs the story certainly wasn't going back to earth

dark_reaper
16-05-05, 08:53
I havent watched the last episode of Enterprise, I quit watching it around 2nd season. It was good, and different. I have a half built model of NX-01, which shows how much time I have spent.
But I do know that this is not the last of Star Trek. Alot of things in this world is inspired my the ST series. There is current talk about now Star Trek movies, mabee a show following it. But then again who know. There is always talk in the entertainment biz, but very few ends up on the cinescope screen(1.95:1 theater) or the television screen.

Dr Strange
16-05-05, 09:48
ok words perhaps a little hasty there on my part but i feel it wrapped up the novella well what was left to deal with but crytons child season 4 had wrapped up most story arcs the story certainly wasn't going back to earth

True the one wormhole that lead to Earth was gone, but Crichton could have found another way home.

Not to mention the miniseries actually opened up new shit. We learn Sebacians are simply an offshoot of humans that evolved in a different part of the galaxy (hence they look exactly like us). And while the Scarrans made peace with the Peacekeepers, there are other major races that were "at war" as well. The Luxans probably wouldn't live under an iron heel of Scarran rule, nor would that gravity-defying chick's race (god I can't ever remember her name. I know Jool was there before her but I also remember this chick's race really really hated Scarrans)

I mean it was good, but it just wasn't what we wanted. And I loved me some Farscape it was a sleeper hit. Totally. Like 3 episodes in of season one I was like "this shit is lame, it's got fucking MUPPETS as aliens" (since ya know it came from Jim Hineson studios) but it grew on me. Half way through I was just eager to see more. The story arcs were awesome, the characters were great, the running gags, etc It was some of the best written stuff ever. Andromeda on the other hand, complete opposite ;o It was Hercules in space

Dr Strange
16-05-05, 09:57
I havent watched the last episode of Enterprise, I quit watching it around 2nd season. It was good, and different. I have a half built model of NX-01, which shows how much time I have spent.
But I do know that this is not the last of Star Trek. Alot of things in this world is inspired my the ST series. There is current talk about now Star Trek movies, mabee a show following it. But then again who know. There is always talk in the entertainment biz, but very few ends up on the cinescope screen(1.95:1 theater) or the television screen.

That's actually kinda fucked up, the new movie thing.

Weeks after Paramount anounced this would be the last season, they anounced the 11th Trek movie, written by some guy who's never wrote anything Trek (possibly a good or bad thing, time will tell) set after Enterprise, before Kirk.

I figured after ST: Nemesis bombed (which it did..) they'd give it a while before making another movie, let alone something not set in one the series.

Personally I think they should restart something like Enterprise. The best Treks were the exploring ones (TOS, TNG, little DS9) where we were finding shit for the first time. Enterprise was supposed to do this in spades since it was a prequel and all. Make another Trek series, after Voyagers/Nemesis's timelines so it's up-to-date, but say cast a galaxy class ship charted to explore the Beta Quadrant (the one quadrant never explored and rarely ever mentioned in Trek backstory). It wouldn't be a Voyager ripoff, cause they'd be out exploring not trying to get home and you could toss in something like Starfleet has a couple deep space stations on the bordering edge of the Beta quadrant so the ship in question would always have support and communication with the fleet and starfleet command.

Or do something new ya know. Do something revolving around a theme like, instead of the senior staff of a galaxy class ship, make it the ensigns. like that one TNG episode where it revolved around the ensigns and they had their own poker game just like the senior staff? Or do a show based on Starfleet Academy, watch as X amount of fresh cadets work their ways through the years of training.

The ideas are there, you just need something fresh. The main reason alot of people liked season 4 of Enterprise was cause most of it was written by Manny Coto, not Berman and Brega. While B&B have done ok work over the years, they really trailed off after DS9 (compare early seasons of Voyager to its older ones...). Time will tell.

Siygess
16-05-05, 11:04
It was Hercules in space

My thoughts exactly! :D

Well, I'm no Trek fan (OS 8| TNG o_O DSN :cool: Voyager :eek: ) but I enjoyed Enterprise enough that I am disappointed that it has run it's course. Of course, for most fans, it's not just about the end of Enterprise as a series; I guess it's also about the vultures circling over the entire franchise. In the mean time, I guess Enterprise will have to take it's place among many great Sci-Fi series that were cut before their time. Farscape, S:AAB, Futurama..

Toxen
16-05-05, 13:06
In the end we all think we know Enterprise got sacrificed in the great ratings race, but on the other hand we also know a movie will attract far higher ratings that a series ever will so the movie announcement isn't a suprise In fact I'd go as far as saying it feels like that paramount is reminding us that enterprise may begone but the franchise still treks on.

As for nemisis bombing, I'd have to disagree perhaps the story could have done with some more evolution but it felt fresh for some reason, kinda like book vector prime did when they Started Releasing the New Jedi Order Series of books. But back on topic when you look back at what was apparently proposed to upn/paramount for the next incarnation of star trek after voyager there were some intresting idea's that may have fared worse or better, From what i rember reading in the news one was a story line revolving around two ships that traveled together problem solving, another was based on starfleet academy (with DS9 people knew that a fixed location storyline couldn't work long without introducing some way to get away from the main location for a while ie The defiant in DS9) and the enterprise (prequal) storyline as many rember it was prequal fever back then in the movie industry. Just makes ya wonder... either way enterprise had some storylines that seriously messed with the continuity of the ST universe, (The Borg episode anyone) It felt like someone had an obssesion with time travel in enterprise, this was also apparent in the latter series of voyager and the last epsiode of voyager amused me slight, early on in voyager it was established as a major character trait that janeway did not like travel and would try to avoid anything associated with it yet come the final episode it becomes the linch pin of gettin the crew home.

But still I encourage people to go read play by email role play games there are some amasing storys going on in those, find one that you like join up contribute rember star trek is a community not just a tv show

Siygess
16-05-05, 15:24
But still I encourage people to go read play by email role play games there are some amasing storys going on in those, find one that you like join up contribute rember star trek is a community not just a tv show

True enough, though such games capture the spirit of the show rather than further the show itself. Check out tenfoward.slasims.com if you want to see some good examples.

darkservent
17-05-05, 00:43
Yep dont like Kevin Sorbo from Andromeda, whatever shows he does tends to have cheesy fights just like Hercules.

Farscape was great towards the end really a shame. Hey anyone remember Sliders that was dam great never did watch the last series as BBC2 never aired it, been tryin to get ahold of em still no luck.

Well as for Enterprise I just watched the final episode. For starters how on shitting hell did they get a hologram generated when there wernt any holographic recorders back in Archers time. That for me bugged me alot and Riker shouldnt have been brought back like that. It made it all gooooeeey for me. So Trip died was waiting for Tepol to start cryin but ah well she didnt. And damn why didnt we get to see the rest of the treaty at the end. Dam bringing TNG back into it really screwed it bigtime.

Well lets hope for another series soon. Oh I think Voyager really was good. DS9 was OK only the massive battles were truely exceptional.

sanityislost
17-05-05, 03:30
Meh....im kinda glad its over.....kinda thought it was one of the crap star treks.
DSN was cool, tho best sci-fi show has to be Babylon 5.....shame its all over and
done with.

SiL ..:..

Dr Strange
17-05-05, 03:40
Yep dont like Kevin Sorbo from Andromeda, whatever shows he does tends to have cheesy fights just like Hercules.

Farscape was great towards the end really a shame. Hey anyone remember Sliders that was dam great never did watch the last series as BBC2 never aired it, been tryin to get ahold of em still no luck.

Sliders was awesome. Too bad it didn't last long. Though it reruns daily on the Sci Fi channel here in America ;) I enjoyed how the whole alternate dimension thing was the main driving force of the show instead of just like, a one episode thing you'd expect on other scifi shows. "The Crying Man", Professor, Qball, and the chick (i cant ever remember her name) were great characters as well.

eprodigy
17-05-05, 03:46
ah yeah i enjoyed sliders, i remember Sci fi channel picking it up and producing new episodes after it got canned by NBC or wherever it was.. also seem to remember the series finale ended up in the air ;)

ZoVoS
17-05-05, 03:54
farscape was best :'( and they never made a final series

CMaster
17-05-05, 13:48
Didn't like enterprise, loved Sliders (even though it constantly reminded me of Quantum Leap). Got to say andromedda never grabbed me and I was too young to get Babylon 5 when it was on. However, I am one of those that believes axing a series before it goes on too long and gets too "soapy" is a good thing. TNG was pushing it, DS9 lasted far too long. Buffy is a great example of something that should have been ended seasons before it did. Hell, simpsons should have been finished a bit back too...

darkservent
17-05-05, 20:09
Sliders was awesome. Too bad it didn't last long. Though it reruns daily on the Sci Fi channel here in America ;) I enjoyed how the whole alternate dimension thing was the main driving force of the show instead of just like, a one episode thing you'd expect on other scifi shows. "The Crying Man", Professor, Qball, and the chick (i cant ever remember her name) were great characters as well.

Did they, I didnt know they made new eps.

Well how about SG1 Series, I actually think thats a series that could go on for a bit more. X-Files was the worst to go on longer than it should.

LOST
17-05-05, 20:21
farscape was best :'( and they never made a final seriesthey finished farscape series with 'the peacekeeper wars' a movie length jobbie.
tied up loose ends and let it finish. if not a little rushed - but it was pretty good from what i remember.

Digital-Talios
17-05-05, 20:37
R.I.P. Star Trek long live the new Star Wars tv series

It seams to me that Enterprise always brought out that vulcan chick or some old Star Trek actor in order to boost ratings even if it didnt make any sense in the story line.

darkservent
17-05-05, 21:01
R.I.P. Star Trek long live the new Star Wars tv series

It seams to me that Enterprise always brought out that vulcan chick or some old Star Trek actor in order to boost ratings even if it didnt make any sense in the story line.

LOL there aint no RIP for Star Trek yet. Theres the MMORPG of it coming dont forget.

Digital-Talios
18-05-05, 15:47
LOL there aint no RIP for Star Trek yet. Theres the MMORPG of it coming dont forget.

I was refering to any future star trek series on television. The new star trek MMORPG might breath new life into any future series.

I hear however that the Star Trek game will have no pvp in it :(

darkservent
18-05-05, 15:53
I was refering to any future star trek series on television. The new star trek MMORPG might breath new life into any future series.

I hear however that the Star Trek game will have no pvp in it :(

Well I heard that it was a FPS. It would be ludicrous to have no PVP in it.

eprodigy
19-05-05, 00:51
from the interview i read from the developers about STonline it sounded like pvp would be very limited if in fact in it at all. it sounded like most of gameplay was on a ship with people playing different roles in piloting managing that ship. in some way it wasnt exactly clear, but PVP was a direct question.

IGNPC: How about player vs. player combat? Will it player a large role?

..we don't think PvP will be a primary game mechanic..

there most likely gonna ruin the franchise(for a mmorpg) like swg did

Dr Strange
19-05-05, 01:00
from the interview i read from the developers about STonline it sounded like pvp would be very limited if in fact in it at all. it sounded like most of gameplay was on a ship with people playing different roles in piloting managing that ship. in some way it wasnt exactly clear, but PVP was a direct question.

there most likely gonna ruin the franchise(for a mmorpg) like swg did

Maybe so.

But then again SWG still has quite a large fanbase and current player base.

When ST Online comes out in 2007 that's what I'll be playing. Even if PvP sucks, so what it's Trek ;)

eprodigy
19-05-05, 03:43
Maybe so.

But then again SWG still has quite a large fanbase and current player base.

When ST Online comes out in 2007 that's what I'll be playing. Even if PvP sucks, so what it's Trek ;)
so does everquest ;)

i said similar about SWG actually as a pretty big SW fan ;) but you dont see me playing EQ in space :rolleyes:

Odin
22-05-05, 01:47
Didn't like enterprise, loved Sliders (even though it constantly reminded me of Quantum Leap).

Actually that show always semi seemed like a mix between Quantum Leap and that Piers Anthony series of books that the name of is totally escaping my brain at the moment.

I really don't watch much tv myself at all anymore since Buffy/Angel went off the air (yes I even have both series on dvd the horror!). Tend to prefer my sci fi stuff in movie form these days.