PDA

View Full Version : Neocron 2 retail box - Anybody else buy it today?

Conduit
13-05-05, 19:01
While I was out shopping about an hour ago I spotted a couple of copys of NC 2 at Insane games (http://www.insanegames.com/)* in Somerset, UK, so like every good fanboy should, I bought a copy :p
My first impression on the package, art, presentation and manual are very good. It seems to be better and more 'professional' looking than the first one was.
Top marks to all involved in making the manual etc :)

*(Shameless plug...i'll bug him to get the web site finished when i see him next)

Siygess
13-05-05, 19:09
No, but not for lack of trying. I stopped by my local game store in Yate on the way home - didn't see it on the shelves :(

Brammers
13-05-05, 19:36
No, but not for lack of trying. I stopped by my local game store in Yate on the way home - didn't see it on the shelves :(

Yate has a game store? :lol: Mind you Chippenham is no better for game stores. I was going to have a look at lunchtime, until I got landed with a urgent problem to fix at work.

Jesterthegreat
13-05-05, 19:38
gotta pay some bills in town next week... i'll check the southend game store

xenocide
13-05-05, 19:39
anyone want to post the images of the box - manual - etc?

Conduit
13-05-05, 20:33
I have a couple of shots of the box / discs / manual, so if anyone who can host them can PM me an email address i'll send the pictures.

Tratos
13-05-05, 21:03
From Conduit:

Front (http://www.broken-reality.org/neocron/P1010408.JPG)
Back (http://www.broken-reality.org/neocron/P1010410.JPG)
Inside (http://www.broken-reality.org/neocron/P1010414.JPG)

Enjoy.

EDIY: Could you get a pic of all the inside stuff aswell? manual, map etc, is it just a world map this time or is their some city maps?

Conduit
13-05-05, 21:26
Hmm, well the thing is, when I was taking a picture of the manual & map I dropped the camera and cracked the casing on the (leica) lens, and now it won't focus....making it the most expensive game ever for me... :(
But anyway, the manual has the same cover as the box and has 70 pages of text & pictures, and the map is exactly the same as the one that you see in-game. Even though i've only skimmed through it,the manual seems a lot more comprehensive than the one provided with the original NC 1 box.

edit: It's just the world map

Jesterthegreat
13-05-05, 21:32
Hmm, well the thing is, when I was taking a picture of the manual & map I dropped the camera and cracked the casing on the (leica) lens, and now it won't focus....making it the most expensive game ever for me... :(
But anyway, the manual has the same cover as the box and has 70 pages of text & pictures, and the map is exactly the same as the one that you see in-game. Even though i've only skimmed through it,the manual seems a lot more comprehensive than the one provided with the original NC 1 box.

edit: It's just the world map

the manual the same as the pdf one ther released... i assume it is as thats why it couldnt have its mistakes altered

ZoVoS
13-05-05, 21:35
what patch is it up to, because kk said they would have it shiped to international relese standers?

Conduit
13-05-05, 21:55
The setup.bin's on the CDs were created on the 21st of Feb 2005*, so maybe you can work it out from there? As it's already installed I don't really want to uninstall it from my machine and then re-install it from the discs just to check the patch lvl, sorry :P

*note to devs: when you open the readme the date at the top is Sept 2002..

ZoVoS
13-05-05, 21:57
erm easy enoguh, did it download pathces when u first open launcher, or did it just patch ?

Conduit
13-05-05, 22:02
I've never installed it from the CDs, I downloaded it when it was first released on the net.

/edit
*sigh*
Ok, wait a little while, I'll uninstall it from my HD and reinstall it from the CDs in the box just to see.

Conduit
13-05-05, 22:28
It's patched up to 130
(i'm downloading 131 right now..)

ZoVoS
14-05-05, 02:49
:P so 130 is international relese standards and item tracking and player shops were never ready YAY (unless both were included in the content patch of 130 and still have yet to be "unlocked")

*does a dance* i r right i r uber !!!111oneoneeleven

:P jus messing, =) i my self care not about player shops itemtracking(ok id love item tracking but i dont care its not in game) and look at heavy, his apt/shop works pritty well like,

thanks for the info on patch number

Mr_Snow
14-05-05, 17:57
I like how the box art has zero mention of any reviews, not even positive comments as they also have to post the % score it gets :-)

NC box art had that at least

Riddle
14-05-05, 18:30
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00080FCZU/qid=1116087423/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-9569174-1091666

And i payed how much to download it?? :wtf:

Seven
14-05-05, 21:14
I can wait for the bargain bin price just to have it as a keepsake, but I'm hoping Atari gets more out there so we get more players.

I mean, it was like KK didn't even know it was out so maybe there was a slip up and a few leaked out to some stores early and this really wasn't the official planned date? I dunno...

Tidus_Origin
14-05-05, 21:38
I like how the box art has zero mention of any reviews, not even positive comments as they also have to post the % score it gets :-)

NC box art had that at least

It had 3 reviews (PC Gamer, PC Zone[!!] and Gamerweb), but no mention of any score. But you do have a point.

Heavyporker
14-05-05, 21:44
To be honest.. not buying the box.

BradSTL
14-05-05, 22:04
I cropped one of the images posted above to highlight the part that really, really bothers me. (See attachments.)

I've got three problems with this. In increasing order of seriousness:

1) The text is so biased towards the Reza Administration point of view. I mean, given that the box doesn't mention Neocron City at all, wouldn't it be more balanced to include an image from the City and say "Neocron City: A gleaming mega-city ruled by a ruthless mind-control dictator"?

2) Silly person. The pimps and the drug dealers don't run the Dome of York, we just work there. It's the terrorists who run the Dome of York.

3) But I think the part that bothers me the most is that that screenshot is not how the place in question actually looks. For those of you who don't recognize it, it's in the bar in Tsunami Syndicate HQ ... which, to my moderate aggravation, has no actual prostitutes or strippers in it. When I first downloaded NC2, it was a sore-tooth-level aggravation to me that the drug dealers had a dancer in their HQ but we didn't. This rose to the root-canal level of aggravation when Reakktor gave the Black Dragon players their own strip clubs to run, something we Tsunamis had been begging for since NC1 beta 3 three years ago. But the part that aggravates me the most is not just that we Tsunamis get crapped on and this is yet another unpleasant reminder, but that it's dishonest to the new customers.

So yeah, I insist that now that you've shown them in the game's advertising, your only two ethical choices are to recall all the boxes and reprint them with an honest screenshot, or to put dancers on the tables in the bar in TSHQ. And I certainly know which choice would be cheaper.

Skusty
14-05-05, 22:12
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00080FCZU/qid=1116087423/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-9569174-1091666

And i payed how much to download it?? :wtf:
about 40£? well u can download free, it costs to make account :p

And why buy box when u can download it :confused:

Heavyporker
14-05-05, 22:12
Oh, yes.

Tsunami should have been MUCH more visible with strippers. Why they didn't get more access to strippers and prostitutes, I don't know.

Frankly, giving the Devourer (Everyone knows that Tsunami guards had flamers) and the strip club apartments (Tsunamis are ALL about pimping and "protection") to the Black Dragons was NOT fair at all or even sensible.

Tsunami needs sorting out, right-quick.

Tratos
15-05-05, 00:30
im sure TS had strippers on the tables not that long ago :/

Riddle
15-05-05, 12:26
about 40£? well u can download free, it costs to make account :p

And why buy box when u can download it :confused:

£40??? its like £14 for the box and no i won't be buying it!
I already upgraded from NC1 :D

Obsidian X
15-05-05, 15:07
Meh, a box is nice and all, but I doubt I'll be buying one. I already made a DVD containing the retail client and patches up to 129 I think.

LTA
15-05-05, 17:05
And why buy box when u can download it :confused:Cos not everyone has mega fast net speeds to download the 1.2 gb setup files?