PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette: Tipping

hegemonic
13-05-05, 18:05
From reading other posts about tradeskilling and having a poker myself, I wanted to open discussion on what we each think is proper tipping etiquette. I've noticed a lot of people are REALLY cheap in the game. If you're a noob, I know people make exceptions on taking tips.
With my poker --I won't take a tip from a noob under lvl 40, but everyone is different. I also won't take a tip for poking an Alliance member in the Wastelands and I refuse to take tips from my Faction.

I generally only use others' services for Repairs and Pokes. My clannies help me with Researching and Construction and I do my own Recycling (If we're out hunting, I won't take tips from anyone for this service).

These are my suggestions/practices for tipping others:

If they have to GR to you, add on another 4000nc to your tip to cover this cost.

For Pokes:
A MINIMUM of 2500nc per poke. A MINIMUM of 5000nc if it's only 1 poke.

For Repairs:
A MINIMUM of 5000nc per item.

For Research:
A MINIMUM of 4000nc per item. If you want a big batch of blueprints, this should be set by the Researcher. (this is less because of the sheer volume that a Researcher does.)

For Contruction:
A MINIMUM of 5000nc per item.

For Recycling:
MINIMUM of 4000nc.
----------------
What do you suggest is proper etiquette for tipping?

msdong
13-05-05, 18:16
ill make it easy. most ppl tip well and i dont have to ask.
if i have a bad day ill ask ppl to tip if they run away without.
if im in a mass poking session and ppl dont tip i dont care. if 2 ppl from one faction dont tip in a row that faction get a first pay then poke ban.
but that only happen once.

on repair jobs ppl allways tip good. the ones with good equipment tip even better. its the fear of getting riped off.

all i know is that i want a tip. ppl can tip in any form, not only money, and its no problem if they tip next time a little more.

Dribble Joy
13-05-05, 18:19
2.5 k per poke is a bit pricey.

I usually am fine with 1k per poke, though less than 5k for an MC5 is a bit cheap.

hegemonic
13-05-05, 18:21
2.5 k per poke is a bit pricey.

I usually am fine with 1k per poke, though less than 5k for an MC5 is a bit cheap.
RP-wise 2.5k to have surgery is the same as FREE :)

Siygess
13-05-05, 18:24
Hard to say with CST/RES jobs.. I used to have a very reasonable pricing scheme per BP, but I forgot the details of that a long time ago. As for poking, I pay 2k per poke and that's that. Other than investing the skill points to have a high enough IMP skill, there is no disadvantage to poking high TL imps.. it doesnt take longer (like high level CST/RES) and although it may use more gel, thats the responsibility of the client, not the poker.

Dribble Joy
13-05-05, 18:28
I charge the same for all pokes except MC5s, because it is in more demand and less people poke that high. Also, it's because I have to cover my ravenous NS habit.

Siygess
13-05-05, 18:40
Heh heh, I never thought about that. Tip me! Fund my drug addiction! :)

enigma_b17
13-05-05, 18:42
ive never charged for pokes, people usually try and tip me though....however i do think its low to not tip some1 who wants it.

Selendor
13-05-05, 18:45
Most of the time I get poked up the people don't want a tip / have their trade blocked anyway. If you are a clan poker who happens to be at TH then its not exactly hard work to click on someone. Obviously this is different for the other trades.

Obsidian X
13-05-05, 18:45
Mostly I let the user decide on tips. I rarely get a shitty tip without an explanation to why (usually newbie runners) and thats good enough for me. I find high level players tip well based on 2 factors:

1) How long they've been waiting/availability
2) How much money they have on them

I only refuse service to ignorant or rude runners that act like you owe them the service.

Dribble Joy
13-05-05, 18:47
I never ask for tips, but will say how much I want if asked.

Redburn
13-05-05, 19:26
I never ask for tips, but won't turn one down and as for tipping for pokes on my other runners. If I have to wait around for a poker to show up 4K per implant sometimes more or 2K per implant for bones.

imper1um
13-05-05, 19:30
Pokes:
- TL70 or lower: 1k/poke
- TL71-100: 2k/poke
- MC5: 5k/poke

Rep:
- TL70 or Lower: 3k/rep
- Non-Rare TL71 or higher: 5k/rep
- Rares TL 105 or Lower: 10k/rep
- Rares TL106 or Higher: 15k/rep

Cst:
- TL70 or Lower: 1k/5cst
- Non-Rare TL71 or Higher: 1k for each 0-2 Slot, 3k for 3 slot, 5k for 4 slot, 10k for 5 slot
- Rares TL105 or Lower: 5k (0-1 slot), 10k (2 slot), 30k (3 slot), 50k (4 slot), 100k (5 slot)
- Rares TL106 or Higher: 5k (0 slot), 10k (1 slot), 20k (2 slot), 50k (3 slot), 100k (4 slot), 200k (5 slot)
- MC5: 100k

Rec:
- 1k per 20 items recieved back from REC
- 5k for Epic items

Res:
- TL70 or Lower: 1k/5 bp
- TL71 or Higher: 1k/bp
- L Parts: 3k per
- T Parts: 5k per
- E Parts: 8k per
- MC5 Parts: 10k per

That's my usual prices.

Brammers
13-05-05, 19:34
My policy is tip if you want to. So if I make a batch of TL3 heals for you, and they come out with no slots, or 1 slots, I wouldn't expect to be tipped.

However if you tip nicely and ask for my services in the future, I'll make the effort to go out of my way to help you.

Jesterthegreat
13-05-05, 19:35
i tend to ask what i owe on lube costs etc and pay over that.

small amount of pokes i tend to tip 1k per poke, many and i tip 2-3k each, mc5 i tip more, if they use a drug to do it even more

Mr Kot
13-05-05, 19:50
It all depends how rich you are as well.

The numbers above your head shouldn't make the slightest difference. A lvl 10 noob wanting his first bones poked in will be skint after buying the bones (or just his ammo to kill for them), but even a lvl 60 may well have bugger all money too.

Don't forget that dying alone costs you 6500nc now, so paying over the odds to get your imps repaired then poked in is just adding insult to injury.

Don't forget that the poor person wanting pokes probably hasn't just died once that day either. Apus out hunting die a lot. So do ppl defending OPs. When i've died for the fifth time in a half hour, i don't want to pay more than 1k per poke, especially when its only an arm bone or something.

If i'm rich and not died for days... ill tip handsomely. If im pissed off waiting over 20 mins for a poker and find that the one that finally logs on can only do up to TL70 (and i'm missing my SF and SA), i'm not gonna be in the best of moods.

Xylaz
13-05-05, 19:54
Its a tip, not a fare - people tip as much as they think its appropriate. Its pointless to set up prices, because:
a. its a tip (see above)
b. noob money = 100x more worth than vet money. I got cash to burn so i'm tipping 5-10k every time, 25-50k for an mc5 - but a noobs usually dont have more than 20k in total so how can u expect them to pay half of their total income for one poke? (assuming there are still noobs in this game)

Darkana
13-05-05, 21:21
And yet another thread about tipping :p

First off, I totally agree with Xylaz. Secondly keep always in mind that the tradeskiller might have expenses, too (e.g. lube, which gets rather expensive for high TL stuff). Keep your tradeskillers happy and they might even do something for you without personal gain.

Naturally there exists ways to get cheapskates back on the "right" track without them even knowing about it :D And then, you always have the possibility to ignore people. It's way funnier, though, to explain why you don't offer your tradeskills to them, and then see some moaning and cursing, because noone else is around who could do it. Happened a few times already, fortunately I can count that with one hand still.

To top it off, there are tradeskillers like me who drive a hard bargain in favor of the customers and make it difficult for other tradeskillers to gain anything ...

zii
13-05-05, 21:23
My PPU is often broke so 1000 per poke.
My tank has cash so tips more. Around 2000/3000 each poke.
My droner is poor so tips the same as my PPU.
My tradeskiller never dies, even though he has no LE, and runs willy nilly around the wastelands.

It all depends on what you can afford, but below 1000creds is a bit off, unless you really are skint, which means that you should wait and run some missions.

aKe`cj
13-05-05, 21:24
Its a tip, not a fare - people tip as much as they think its appropriate. Its pointless to set up prices, because:
a. its a tip (see above)
b. noob money = 100x more worth than vet money. I got cash to burn so i'm tipping 5-10k every time, 25-50k for an mc5 - but a noobs usually dont have more than 20k in total so how can u expect them to pay half of their total income for one poke? (assuming there are still noobs in this game)

Yes & no ... a fullcap char cant be regarded a n00b in terms of money - still the majority of full capped ppl "only" tip 1-3k - having a fullcap char you can make money faster than you could possibly ever burn it - then, there is the tradeskiller who is offering his TIME (a very limited resource) and who stops from doing things that he'd do otherwise (the majority of ppl that do stuff for me are _not_ pure traders) ...and still its less of a problem to GR from one spot to another one close by, wasting a thousand bucks for the purpose of saving half a minute. In that case its not a tip anymore, its a more like a big sign screaming at traders: "Stop wasting your time for other ppls shit"

Personally, I tip vets far better than lowbies - for a simple reason:

Someone does me a favour by helping out (fixing an item, creating blueprints ... whatever I cant do myself) .. and... I tip, not because I have to, but because that person did me a favour and I want to pay it back a little. Someone who owns millions wont give a fuck about a few creds - so I tip with rares; a noob - struggeling to get a pair of ultra-expensive boots will be happy to receive a few grand.. so thats what he gets.

To me, tipping is not about 'paying a compulsory fee'... its about thanking the other person for taking the time & helping out

ZoVoS
13-05-05, 21:34
i rarely ever have cash spair so i tip a 0.9 slot enhancer or a t part for 3+ pokes,

to some ppl 5k is everything, to others 5k is a tiny drop in a ocient of limitless cash,

this is a tip, they tip what thy can aford not what u want, if u want a service charge well charge one first then poke,

Codrum
13-05-05, 22:08
I usually tip 5k per poke, to make up for all the times i didnt/couldnt tip when i was a newb in NC1 :\

sultana
14-05-05, 04:06
I remember when it used to be 50k to poke your mc5 in :rolleyes:

Generally I try to tip as high as I can, cause I know how shitty it can be, being a tradeskiller stuck in TH. If I do have to get my mc5 poked in (if I have the money) I still try and tip 50k for it :) Probably ends up being about 30kish cause of how poor most of my characters are at any one time.

Heavyporker
14-05-05, 18:25
I tip pretty damn well for pokes - I dare anyone to say different - but that's because my store usually does so well and I can afford 5k a poke (even for a foot or armbone). Thing is - I don't even have a MC5, so I can 1) afford to tip generously because I'm not broke from buying a MC5, 2) not worry about not being able to find a TL 115 poker to poke in said MC5, 3) not worry about finding a Tl 500 repairer to fix my broken MC5 or finding a PPU to rez my ass if I die tripping over a rock and run the risk of MC5 popping out.

Frankly, people are far too fixated on the high-ticket items and become high-maintenance runners. Frankly, the fun factor for Neocron would double or triple if people weren't compelled to create/post MC5-reliant setups.

I mean, sure, the option of having MC5s is great, but sheesh, some people take it too far.

sultana
15-05-05, 09:27
I can make nearly any setup without a Mc5 nearly as good (sometimes better depending) as then one with a mc5. All you have to do is fiddle around with some numbers on skillmanager for 5 minutes and you have one.

I was just saying before people wouldn't log a poker for a mc5 chip if they didn't tip 50kish, whereas nowadays, people sometimes just run away without so much of a "ty" after having their tl 115 chip poked in.

eprodigy
15-05-05, 09:31
tips seem unproportional to the amount of money people have.. no matter the econmy they stay so low.. why spec poke for a lousy 2k a poke whats the point.. i usually give at least 50k a poke and 100k for mc5... (id give more but a lot of people already refuse that much :confused: )

im just confused why people paying so much for everything but pokes.. money doesnt even matter all my chars have like 15mil and need nothing ..

( i guess its good to stay so low because new players i suppose )

Koshinn
15-05-05, 11:35
tips seem unproportional to the amount of money people have.. no matter the econmy they stay so low.. why spec poke for a lousy 2k a poke whats the point.. i usually give at least 50k a poke and 100k for mc5... (id give more but a lot of people already refuse that much :confused: )

im just confused why people paying so much for everything but pokes.. money doesnt even matter all my chars have like 15mil and need nothing ..

( i guess its good to stay so low because new players i suppose )

If you're so rich can you give me 10 mil please? I'll be your friend? Money doesn't even matter to you but I have like nothing. :mad:

Xephonas
15-05-05, 11:43
for pokes, i tip about 1500k for 1 poke, and that also depends on the TL.

contruction depends on how well the contruction did, 5 slot deserves like 10-20k if its high.

ZoVoS
15-05-05, 12:11
for pokes, i tip about 1500k for 1 poke, and that also depends on the TL.

contruction depends on how well the contruction did, 5 slot deserves like 10-20k if its high.

:wtf: roles a poker to get 1.5mil a poke ;) jus kidding i gues u mean 1500 nc

anyway nobody needs a mc5 apart from trade skillers and hybreed monks

Awky
15-05-05, 13:18
anyway nobody needs a mc5 apart from trade skillers and hybreed monks

A lowtech never needs one... but yeah tanks (atleast melee) can live without. Never had a capped apu so i cant go on them... my ppu rarely dies and i could manage greatly without an mc5... never had a droner... never had a hyb either.

But!!!

If you dont want to gimp your (hightech) drugged pe with a pa you NEED an mc5 and ofcourse ppr and moveon.

As for tipping i always tip 2-3k and i think thats enough... thats what i expect when i poke. Ofcourse i use NS to poke 115 so its a 5-10k for mc5 for me

For repairs and or research i think about 5-20k AND the cost of lubes i9s sufficcient.

But... its a tip, then again some restaurants REQUIRE a 10% tip, unless i can figure tipping irl i doubpt ill figure it out entirely in nc.

Noobs ofcourse are free... and i honestly nevermind the fact that someone says i got no cash...as long as they dont run.

awk

IceStorm
15-05-05, 13:53
I never ask. People tip me what they feel is appropriate. I rarely set prices on items, either. I usually just ask what someone wants to pay.

'course, I have sixteen characters, too...

paolo escobar
16-05-05, 23:21
i always tip a minimum of 5 k for anything (if its just one poke/cst//rep/res).
If its a big job i'll tip over the odds.

Vryce
17-05-05, 01:08
...... First off, I totally agree with Xylaz. Secondly keep always in mind that the tradeskiller might have expenses, too (e.g. lube, which gets rather expensive for high TL stuff). Keep your tradeskillers happy and they might even do something for you without personal gain.

To top it off, there are tradeskillers like me who drive a hard bargain in favor of the customers and make it difficult for other tradeskillers to gain anything ...

I have to agree with these sentiments; as long as expenses are covered, GR fees, lubes, etc., the rest falls in place. Personally, as long as I at least get a "Thank you", I really don't care what the tip is. Besides, tips seem to average out: the other day I GR'd to TH to poke a friend and wasn't expecting a tip, while there, another person asked for a poke and tipped me 40K !!! :eek:

btw, I know how hard of a bargain Darkana drives, just try to get her to take a tip :p .

o/t: Glad to see you back, Darkana.

wolfwood
17-05-05, 02:53
i always tip 1,000 - 2,000 per poke

repair- never really had to

contsruct-depends on weapon and sltos and qual

;)

hegemonic
17-05-05, 03:36
Glad we got people at least discussing this because it's important for the newer runners to understand the etiquette.

My suggestions were just that ---suggestions. I shared with people what I typically do and no I am not one of these filthy rich runners. You do what you feel is right but remember kharmic realization... :angel:

I just think that people need to be rewarded for their services, just like I do in real life (it has become a benefit that I'm always remembered [in a good way ;) ] wherever I go).

Heavyporker
22-05-05, 19:23
Frankly, guys, with the current tradeskilling climate, you're all gonna have to tip significantly more.

like in minimum 3k-5k a poke, 5k-10k a rep job (less per-item if it's multiple, but that's the minimum).

And, trust me on this, guys, but always discuss cost of ress/cst job BEFOREHAND. For that kind of work, it's not a tip, its a FEE.

Jesterthegreat
23-05-05, 00:35
frankly... no i'm not.

for the majority of tradeskilling its a clan tradeskiller and they refuse a tip, but accept gel costs... for pokes i buy my own gel, and tip for the pokes.