PDA

View Full Version : rubber-banding when driving - who else has this problem?

IceStorm
11-05-05, 07:01
I've had this problem for several months (pre-December 24th corruption) and both tech support tickets sent in on it have gone unresolved.

About five or six months ago, I noticed that I wasn't able to spawn and drive a vehicle from various ASGs. The vehicles would spawn, I could get on them and drive around, but as soon as I got off I ended up at the spawn point of the vehicle and the vehicle rubber-banded back to the spawn point. I couldn't zone with the vehicle either - I reached the edge of the zone and stopped, with nothing seen beyond the edge of the zone meaning the rendering engine thought I was still where I started, apparently.

Spawning the vehicle, then logging out for five to ten minutes, then logging back in, seems to fix the problem at times, but if I zone, then relog to fix something else, like the Warbot-not-falling-where-you-see-it bug, the problem returns.

This problem plagues my three driving characters, one per account, all on Terra. All are NC1 Pluto imports. I haven't had a chance to try an NC2-native character and driving. The problem is worst at Battle Dome - there I can't even get the problem to go away by logging out for 10 minutes. At Mil Base and Race Track the problem seems to go away after one extended logout (well, until I zone and try a relog fix).

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a permanent fix for it? I'm fed up with not being able to drive my Spies and HC PEs around.

Bugs Gunny
11-05-05, 07:11
Had it too, but just once so far.

IceStorm
11-05-05, 07:29
This is a consistent problem for me, unfortunately. :-(

Koshinn
11-05-05, 07:43
same here, it's one of the reasons I stopped playing for a while, and I'm still on a break from NC2. :(

Nvidia
11-05-05, 08:30
Are you using Omega Drivers, Ice? If so, try enabling V-Sync. I know that for me, even though my rubber banding was relating to zoning up from UGs and dungeons, turning on V-Sync got rid of my problem. Worth a shot anyway.

By the way, how are you? Haven't talked to you in a long time. Glad to see such a good friend again. :)

IceStorm
11-05-05, 11:42
I'm using standard nVidia drivers. I believe I'm one rev behind the latest WHQLs, but whatever I'm using is/was WHQL from nVidia's site.

I tried toggling v-sync. No good. It did help me with zoning to turn v-sync on, but not with the vehicle problem. I have used several versions of nVidia driver since the problem started, so I don't think it's that.

I'm fine. Working on getting a MOVEON for my PE. I'd be a whole lot better if I knew how to fix this one annoying problem. Well, that and when I get my characters fixed. Right now my mains are bald and many are wearing green shirts and magenta pants.

Sammson
11-05-05, 14:24
I also have this problem , but only in dx 9 mode, never had it in dx7 mode. makes dx9 unusable here, ati, 9600 pro.

IceStorm
11-05-05, 15:43
Looks like DX7 did the trick for me, too.

Anyone using vehicles properly in DX9 mode with a 6800 series card?

Rexel
12-05-05, 01:14
I have had this problem for a while also. Waiting for a second reply from the help desk now. The first one gave me a list of stuff to do ( uninstall, reboot, remove neocron folder, reinstall ) I ran the Check File Integrity and it gets to 6588 / 6600 and shuts down.
I'm using a NVIDIA Gf4 5700 LE with latest drivers, with DX9. Guess I'll try installing DX7 and see what that does.

EDIT :: installed DX7 and still have the same problem :(

IceStorm
12-05-05, 01:58
Install DX7?

No, no. Switch to DX7 mode from the Launcher. Hold down Shift when you click the button to start NC from the Launcher and then choose the DX7 video driver option in the upper left drop-down box on the dialog box that comes up.

If it's in DX7 mode, the login screen should show your characters as full characters, not just heads. There's a stack of DX7 bugs, but they're less problematic than not being able to drive.

Mr Kot
12-05-05, 04:02
I've not experienced this since NC1, and back then it was rare. This phenomenon happens because you see yourself driving about and up to the "end of the world" zoneline, but others say that you are just sat on a stationary vehicle and haven't moved from the ASG. This would "suggest" it's a client / server communication issue.

I used to cure the problem by dismounting and zoning on foot. Returning to the vehicle, all is well.

This solution has worked for most other people who experienced it. For others, it is more stubborn and relogging doesnt fix it. I even witness them sat there on the vehicle not moving while they say there are about the zone to the next zone.

Weird :confused:

Momo Katzius
12-05-05, 08:27
You guys with the problem: Do you use Windows XP SP2? In the german forums it cames clear, that only winXP with SP2 does the problem. Guys with Win98 or W2k do not have the problem. Even WinXP with SP1 does not cause VHC-Problems.

Perhaps you can play around with you wXP SP2 Firewall. Maybe this Firewall blocks some driving-packets goning from client to server.

A german player tested this on his second PC, and old win98 box. No Problems there, but on winXP SP2 --> problems. If I remember right, the problem was independent of the used gfx-card.

Drake6k
12-05-05, 09:51
This annoying bug has had me pked twice. Once the first time at the racetrack when I thought I was driving away and another when I thought it was working again and was simply wrong. It's not like I couldn't have jumped out to fight but I didn't even see the enemy both times until I was already dead.

Sometimes I feel like blowing up at kk. :mad:

IceStorm
12-05-05, 14:33
I have XP w/ SP2. I'm not keen on removing SP2, but I'll look into it. I have the firewall disabled on SP2.

If XP SP2+DX9 is the problem KK should work on the issue. Not everyone has a dedicated machine they can game on while ignoring security patches and OS updates...

I haven't had the problem since moving back to DX7 mode, but now I've got the full-body display in the character screen and people are missing their torsos. Ugh.

IceStorm
12-05-05, 16:37
It worked. Removing SP2 fixed the problem when driving in DX9 mode.

Funny, there was a thread about what SP2 would do to Neocron. Looks like hosing up driving is one of those things. :-)

Mr Kot
12-05-05, 16:48
I run XP with SP2... no vehicle problems at all since NC1 (which was before SP2)

I run DX7 as my gfx card has no vertex shader so cant run DX9

zii
12-05-05, 20:44
I had this problem every other bike ride over the past six months, so I LOMmed out my VEH and gave up driving. It fixed the problem.