PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] Backback Replacement

-FN-
11-05-05, 00:38
Ok, I don't know about you guys, but I'm *really* F-ing tired of tapping out after I die and being unable to move thanks to being overloaded. The Free Load reduction was not thought through with the addition of Synaptic Impairment, this is obvious.

I propose this:

When you die, what previously would go into your backpack, goes into the "GenRep Storage Buffer". Then when you GR to where you go, the items are kept in the GenRep similar to a GoGo, except you can only retreive your items by buying them back via the GR (like the old "Retrieve Backpacks" Button) and you cannot store things in it, it's for one-way transactions only.

It basically goes back to the old Backpack Premise, except doesn't litter the world with backpacks. If you die multiple times without purchasing back your GR Storage Buffer, the items just get added to the Storage Buffer.

KK, please give this some thought before the International Release - I'm in-game talking to noobs a lot and that is one annoyance that I hear over and over again :(

Pestilence
11-05-05, 00:53
Nice idea. Sounds good to me.

Obsidian X
11-05-05, 00:55
I like this idea becuase even if it was really necessary to remove backpacks, they didn't have to make your stuff reappear in your inventory. An idea suggested a while ago was that your apartment has a special kind of gogo where your inventory arrives once you die (for a price of course). Either way I'm not a fan of the new system at all (although it makes reorganising Inv a little easier, still not a fan).

Masentaja
11-05-05, 08:50
Would be nice idea, and would give option to gr to some other beltdrop zones without fear loosing some implant to belt or so. Dunno then if that's a bad or good thing :p

PcP'
11-05-05, 09:23
one of the reasons behind removing backpacks wasn't only the litter but the db problems they were getting with people not being able to recover their bp's which is what would happen again with this "storage area" for the sake of 5 mins si waiting.

Capt. Rik
11-05-05, 10:20
Sounds like a good idea!

Maybe have something like a 10cr * TL of the item buy-back fee

[TgR]KILLER
11-05-05, 10:47
I never get overloaded really only thing i get pissed about is paying shitloads of cash when your backpack is right at a gr or infront of your app when its so easy to pick up :/

nowadays i don't gr most of the time and just wait for a rezz.

only good thing about the thing now is actually just returning to the right place in your QB etc. and not being scatterd around everywere.. next idea will destroy that only thing were its good for because it gets dropped in this buffer thing first.

Masentaja
11-05-05, 10:59
one of the reasons behind removing backpacks wasn't only the litter but the db problems they were getting with people not being able to recover their bp's which is what would happen again with this "storage area" for the sake of 5 mins si waiting.

That bug was devastating. People lost tons of good stuffs 'cause of it, when somebody else got some capped APU's DS & Psi cores back in NC1.

Jesterthegreat
11-05-05, 13:46
i haven't noticed any increase in server stability due to the removal of backpacks...

if you are keeping it as it is please remove the "recover backpack" button. theres so much that needs updating before noobs join...

Infinite
11-05-05, 15:11
5 stars.

Beem talking about something like this since they changed.

They still ain't removed the button also heh.

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=118423

heh

Torg
11-05-05, 15:32
no.

what's the problem? you die, you have to wait for your SI to cool down, you return to the fight. this idle time is one little disadvantage of getting killed. better try to stay alive. and better try to GR to a safe place.

Dribble Joy
11-05-05, 15:57
GRing is not risky enough. Travel in general is far too easy. I don't think that other than your prmary apt, any GR should be in a safe zone, people need to walk/drive more.

Besides, you can't do much while you have SI, what's a little movement the matter?

I am also concerned that this would bring back the inv. item losses that the old system had would come back.

Scanner Darkly
11-05-05, 17:51
No, this doesn't really bother me. If I die I usually GR near a GoGu and if I'm just GRing I only carry so much I can still move...

Don't see the problem here at all

-FN-
11-05-05, 19:50
For everyone who doesn't "see the problem":

I generally play my Pistol Spy and an APU. Both of them have the bare minimum in Transport to have any kind of Decent Force Resist. This means my chars are spec'ced to carry just the gear they need and be in the "yellow" on free load.

Any time I GR I go into the red (or usually negative on my spy due to ammo weight). So I stand there. Every single time I GR. And when you die it's a double whammy because you may not "expect" to so whatever you have on you at the time that you can barely carry becomes overloading. If you play a Tank, PE, or PPU I'm sure you barely ever notice this problem. But whether you "notice" it or not, it doens't mean it doesn't exist.

In my years here since NC1's Beta - I've never heard of a single person losing gear to the GR. I've heard tons of people claiming they did, even SXR, then realizing later they had misplaced the item or whatever. But think of it, item loss due to a misplaced backpack (or multiple backpacks) should *not* happen if the GR storage is treated like a GoGo. Universal storage that isn't stored in some zone's data. It's in your Player Char's data.

Sorry, I just think it's plain obvious that the removal of backpacks was half-assed. As mentioned, the "Recover Backpack" button is still in the GR Hud. It was a poor solution then, we were very vocal on that, it was ignored, and can anyone actually say that *any* database or server stability has been improved by it???? I still synch out now and then. I still routinely get the 0SL/0nc and "Can't Right Click" bugs. The backpacks were removed on a theory stated Holger. So after this theory "testing" why hasn't it been readdressed? That's my question :confused:

Dribble Joy
12-05-05, 01:46
can anyone actually say that *any* database or server stability has been improved by it???? I still synch out now and then. I still routinely get the 0SL/0nc and "Can't Right Click" bugs. The backpacks were removed on a theory stated Holger. So after this theory "testing" why hasn't it been readdressed? That's my question :confused:
But it wasn't your question initialy, so that's why you are getting a different reaction.

If you simply asked if the BP removal 'test' had been sucsessfull, this thread might have gone in a different way.

As to the problem of movement after GRing, that's part of the price to GR, along with the added risk.

hegemon
12-05-05, 09:24
My spy has capped force resist and can still run after death. The only char where this is a minor annoyance is the ppu (because of all the spells he's carrying), but he rarely dies, at least compared to my other characters.

Death comes with a penalty. You're not supposed to be happy after you die. Don't die and you won't have the "problem".

Jesterthegreat
12-05-05, 13:28
choosing to recover your backpack would be usefull for noobs with loads of junk and fuck all transport.

for this reason i like it

zii
12-05-05, 18:38
Clearly a 5* thread.

The current system defeats the original idea of the QB.
You were meant to run back to retrieve your QB afore the hacker hacked it, and was possible if you could GR back to the area and get the belt/kill the hacker, but the current system means that you can only do one thing: Genrep home or a to afe-zone because you are compleatly overloaded and cannot move, which equals a sitting duck, and even worse, all your treasured implants have popped out into your inventory ready to drop into your next QB. Daft as fuck.

-FN-
26-05-05, 01:10
Additional information on this subject, check the attached image.

Noobs still get in-game mail about their backpack, which doesn't exist.

The button to Retreive a backpack is still there, even though there are no backpacks.

I've also talked to many of the noobs in-game and it's pretty much agreed by all of them. When you're new and you die, you GR back to your apartment and wherever and you lose money and have no clue why. You are stuck there and have no clue why. The overall experience for truly new players is undocumented (see image) and leads to a lot of frustration for the new player-base.

So about about it? Any replacement for this god-awful, half-implemented system?

capt-o
26-05-05, 03:25
Replacing / augmenting the current system is a good idea since it forces you to either give up your belt or put alot into transport.

I like the idea of a death storage thing. Though i don't think it should be like the old system where you just hit a button and get all you crap back at once since this would weigh people down all over again.

What about a drop down window from the gogo's inventory containing the items that would have been in your BP but instead of just "take all" you would be able to pick and choose what you wanted back. For this service you would be charged an amount based on the items TL or something. You should be able to access this twice (once for getting some stuff to fight off your original killer, and again to regain all your stuff) cumulative deaths after this first access would add your stuff as normal but upon the 2nd access you either take everything or it gets wiped. This would allow new players to take what they really need without being weighted down and maybe make some quick cash to regain the other stuff. This would also get rid of the pay on death thing that can make you poor suprisingly quick.

Of course the mails would need to be changed for this to be effective.

Freaky Fryd
26-05-05, 04:32
Death comes with a penalty. You're not supposed to be happy after you die. Don't die and you won't have the "problem".

Seeing I die due to bugs/errors, more than I do combat or levelling...not playing the game is the only viable solution to not dying.

Of course, this is ignoring that your reasoning is like telling people who have car trouble that they should just not drive so they won't have the problem. You WILL die in this game...everyone does.

LiL T
26-05-05, 09:46
I die alot at CRP while trying to lvl my characters, back in the day it would cost me nothing and I would just laugh at them but know it can cost me up to 6400 cr ech time :(

I say make the way it was befor it was much better, or at least base the price on how far away from the backpack you are when GRing.

and yeah would be a good idea to have that stuff go into the gogo