PDA

View Full Version : Status of the "Newbie-Helper Project"

NH Horus
06-05-05, 13:00
Hi,

the project is still in progress - the NewbieHelpers will receive an email today in the evening containing data for an initial meeting, where they will get first instructions.

Greetings

Horus

Brammers
06-05-05, 15:00
Perhaps a mod would sticky this please...it's slipping down the forum.

Tratos
06-05-05, 16:54
Cool to see this going somewhere :)

NH Horus
07-05-05, 00:20
the mails have been sent :)

-FN-
07-05-05, 01:30
NH Horus, the links in your sig point to threads that haven't been updated in almost 2 years :(

Jesterthegreat
07-05-05, 12:20
NH Horus, the links in your sig point to threads that haven't been updated in almost 2 years :(

thats the speed we have come to expect of our wonderous support team ;)

NH Horus
07-05-05, 12:27
Thank you for the hint. The signature is an old one. I will check them.

NH Horus
10-05-05, 23:26
At the moment we are practising in the MC5. Some of you already saw us more or less accidentally :p

Tratos
15-05-05, 12:13
So, who are the new newbie helpers then?

NH Horus
15-05-05, 12:22
So, who are the new newbie helpers then?

The first ones are active, mainly in the evening on Terra (MC5).

But we discovered so far, that there aren't very much *real* newbies at the moment.
The most are running straight to the GenReplicator.

Xylaz
15-05-05, 12:30
But we discovered so far, that there aren't very much *real* newbies at the moment.

surprise surprise...

naimex
15-05-05, 12:51
The first ones are active, mainly in the evening on Terra (MC5).

The most are running straight to the GenReplicator.

I find myself having most success with helping people, by just running around the world, answer those questions i either know the answer to, or am pretty sure, if i´m not totally sure, i almost always add an i´m not totally sure on it.

people seem to respect that, and sometimes they correct me if i was wrong, so i can learn the right answer.

NH Horus
18-05-05, 00:22
Hello everybody,

the Newbiehelper-Team ist now up. We are 8 helpers.

Ingame you can meet us in MC5-Starter-Area only. Our
names ingame are "Newbiehelper <name>". In this forum
our name will be "NH <name>".

And this are the Helpers:

* Amun
* Anubis
* Chepre
* Horus
* Isis
* Nephthys
* Sachmet
* Thot

Greetings

Horus

Jesterthegreat
18-05-05, 00:26
out of curiosity has the "impersonating a GM" rule spread to this now? i think it would be advisable ;)

ZoVoS
18-05-05, 01:19
kina makes me wana role a new character

"Newbiekiller <name>"

:P jus messing, keep up the good work

Mr Kot
18-05-05, 02:38
out of curiosity has the "impersonating a GM" rule spread to this now? i think it would be advisable ;)

Good point. I can imagine "Newbiehelper asshat" appearing in MC5. Chat going something like:

Newbiehelper Asshat: Pull that chip out in your head. It makes you more money.
Newbiehelper Asshat: Is it out?
*BLAM BLAM*
Newbiehelper Asshat: Hahahaha! NOOB!!!

Hmm, best make this official and soon.

Also, i take it that the genuine newbie helpers are subject to a code of conduct like GMs are: no killing runners etc. ?

aKe`cj
18-05-05, 02:43
Good point. I can imagine "Newbiehelper asshat" appearing in MC5. Chat going something like:

***syncronizing***

... relog

***you've been banned for 1 day(s)***

Also, i take it that the genuine newbie helpers are subject to a code of conduct like GMs are: no killing runners etc. ?

I highly doubt they'd start a riot with LE'd chars :p

Mr Kot
18-05-05, 03:03
I highly doubt they'd start a riot with LE'd chars :p

That's good. Just checking.

I'm just asking the questions that new players are probably thinking ;)

naimex
18-05-05, 08:10

Newbiehelper Asshat: Pull that chip out in your head. It makes you more money.
Newbiehelper Asshat: Is it out?
*BLAM BLAM*
Newbiehelper Asshat: Hahahaha! NOOB!!!

Hmm, best make this official and soon.

this shouldnt really be a problem, since last I heard Newbie Helpers were restricted to newbie mc5, not likely to be any real high lvlers in there.

on top of that, Newbie Helpers should always have an LE in them, so they can´t really hurt anyone.

but still yes,

dont pk other runners
keep a neutral stance
dont harrass players
uphold the general rules
and smile ;)

something like this, I probably forgot something.

Nidhogg
18-05-05, 10:31
Newbiehelpers won't have the job very long if they become Newbiekillers but I don't see that as being at all likely. Also, anyone pretending to be a Newbiehelper with the aim of griefing new players will probably receive a long, if not permanent ban.

N

Jesterthegreat
18-05-05, 12:07
Newbiehelpers won't have the job very long if they become Newbiekillers but I don't see that as being at all likely. Also, anyone pretending to be a Newbiehelper with the aim of griefing new players will probably receive a long, if not permanent ban.

N

good good... best to let everyone know too ;)

oh and btw they wont have a job long anyway unless the game gets a half decent review by someone... just a thought ;)

Street
18-05-05, 12:39
good point but have u seen the screan shots of the people who play and review it, they dont give it chance for example, i saw screen shots of a tank with rifles in his belt he couldnt use, apu spells and such, they just join the game, dont give it a chance, realise that you need to work on it to get knowledge & skills and just quit because they dont bother puttin the work in or understand it. Goons.

I know the game has a lot of bugs but the gameplay is awesome and never look back or regret playin.

i live for this shit!

Jesterthegreat
18-05-05, 12:43
any class that's possible to make should be able to use the starter weapon.

can a pe soldier use the starter gren launcher? last time i made one he could not.

and the starter equipment should be listed as you choose a class.

Chenoa
21-05-05, 15:47
Horus builded up a very good NH Team and they are all now on all 3 Servers. A big thx to them for great work ! :angel:

msdong
21-05-05, 15:57
...can a pe soldier use the starter gren launcher? last time i made one he could not....

he can use the noob launcher but he is only able to kill a few things because there is no granade ammo in MC5 and theres no Recycle tool to buy

RDevz
21-05-05, 16:15
Last time I checked, either the nomad ammo trader or the fatbloke in MC5 HQ sold grenade ammo.

Darkana
30-05-05, 17:26
good point but have u seen the screan shots of the people who play and review it [...] Goons.Personally I don't care about the opinion of todays game mag journalists. It's funny how they shine with incompetence and superficiality.

Anyway, it's really nice to see that there are some players dedicated to the task of helping runners doing the first steps in Neocron. It is a complex game (aside from the strange bugs which can hit you), and you learn the fastest if you have someone at your side answering your questions more or less immediately and helping you out in general.

I hope that there are enough newbies to make the time spent there worthwile :)

naimex
30-05-05, 17:45
when will the Newbie Helpers start to appear ingame?

been online numerous times now, at random times in the day and night, and still haven´t seen a single one online on Terra.

NH Horus
30-05-05, 18:14
been online numerous times now, at random times in the day and night, and still haven´t seen a single one online on Terra.

hm ... bad luck :(

The helpers will get a kind of "time-table" from me these day's.

Try round about 8 - 12 p.m. MESZ.

Mechanicus
30-05-05, 18:31
Personally I don't care about the opinion of todays game mag journalists. It's funny how they shine with incompetence and superficiality.

Anyway, it's really nice to see that there are some players dedicated to the task of helping runners doing the first steps in Neocron. It is a complex game (aside from the strange bugs which can hit you), and you learn the fastest if you have someone at your side answering your questions more or less immediately and helping you out in general.

I hope that there are enough newbies to make the time spent there worthwile :)
yeah, i would consider myself a pretty 'serious' gamer and i havn't read a game magazine in years

naimex
30-05-05, 18:42

What time zone?

and what does "MESZ" mean?

NH Horus
30-05-05, 19:13
What time zone?

and what does "MESZ" mean?

MESZ = UTC+2

maybe the abbreviation MESZ isn't used internationally. Sorry.

Xylaz
30-05-05, 20:11
MESZ = UTC+2

maybe the abbreviation MESZ isn't used internationally. Sorry.

what is UTC+2 ???

GMT u mean?

Nidhogg
30-05-05, 20:16
UTC is French for GMT. ;)

N

naimex
30-05-05, 20:48

N

Why cant they just call it GMT then?

its so confusing with all these things that mean the same thing...

Darkana
30-05-05, 23:37
MESZ is the german abbrevation for CET, which is GMT+1. CET has this DST (Dayligth Saving Time) "feature", which adds another hour, making it "GMT +2" for the time being.

Jesterthegreat
31-05-05, 08:09
when it first started i saw 2-3 spamming on trade or something...

since then i havent seen any, and i have made 4-5 chars since then.

Arbiter
31-05-05, 08:17
There are some sites which can help to clear the confusion with times. The main problem is, that some people don't realize that GMT does NOT change for the summer, while the time in the UK does.

http://www.timeanddate.com/
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Original monk
31-05-05, 12:16
when it first started i saw 2-3 spamming on trade or something...

since then i havent seen any, and i have made 4-5 chars since then.

when i made my PE last week or was it the week before i dunno .. there was a very kind person of the noobhelpers doing there job inside the newbieMC5, when i ran past i saw em talking to a newbie in any case :)

plus it seems that there are some extra newbs dripping in slowly :) the real questions start to arrise like: what is a poke ? where can i buy a weapon ? what is pc ? and how do i get it ? .. and ffcourse the usual tanks or monks or sumthing that wonna start speccing rifle like crazy cause they wonna use that hitech rifle they saw someone using somewhere :)

fun fun :)

can KK or an official tell us if there are alot of new registrations ? with the box being out and all ? anyway we will notice ingame probably :)

Dribble Joy
31-05-05, 14:23
The US also calls GMT 'UT' (universal time). Afaik, someone somewhere didn't like the fact that they didn't invent timezones and the current one had to do with Greenwich, and not somewhere in the US, so they renamed it to something they liked and did invent :p.

(not country basing, just jealous-official bashing)
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/UT.html

Mr Kot
31-05-05, 18:50
hm ... bad luck :(

The helpers will get a kind of "time-table" from me these day's.

Do you have a good spread of international people who are online in various time zones throughout the day?

I'm thinking of when US / Australian players get online late evening their time, or even European players who play during the day.

I'm only asking because some poor newbie who downloaded the game was totally lost in MC5 the other day and hadn't a clue. She didn't even know about any kind of game manual until the URL for that was pointed out to her.

RDevz
01-06-05, 02:50

Part the first, in which I wibble about TLAs:

UTC is a modification of Universal Time. In English it's "Coordinated Universal Time". In French it's "Temps Universel Coordonné". In acronyms it's Universal Time, with a "Coordinated modifier". Hence UTC.

Part the second, in which I wibble about definitions of time, and should be skipped by anyone who values their sanity:

GMT is the mean solar time at the Royal Greenwich Observatory in London. UTC is the atomic realisation of this, with arbitrary leap seconds added at midnight every so often to keep it within 0.9 seconds of UT1, which is a measure of time determined at an observatory by observing the diurnal motion of stars or extragalactic radio sources, corrected for the effect of polar motion on the longitude of the observing site. In the grand scheme of things, there is very little difference between UTC and GMT. But they are most definitely not the same. :)

dark_reaper
01-06-05, 05:57
Over here in the US, GMT is known as Zulu.

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 07:56
Over here in the US, GMT is known as Zulu.

pfft... the US make up silly names for each timezone, so that wouldn't suprise me :p

"no sorry... we aren't associated with GMT, we live in "Mountain Daylight Time""

dark_reaper
01-06-05, 19:45
pfft... the US make up silly names for each timezone, so that wouldn't suprise me :p

"no sorry... we aren't associated with GMT, we live in "Mountain Daylight Time""

dont forget boys and girls, we invented the timezones, well over here at least.

Jesterthegreat
01-06-05, 19:47
dont forget boys and girls, we invented the timezones, well over here at least.

you invented words like "asshat"... guess the british "dickhead" wasnt good enough and needed altering? :p

E. Cryton
09-06-05, 16:50
scheiße, jester...

Vae Victis
20-06-05, 00:11
scheiße, jester... m0wl Eric :lol: (maul, I think)
whatever that means o_O (wasn't it "stfu" ?)

E. Cryton
20-06-05, 21:57
genau, also halts maul :mad:

Nidhogg
20-06-05, 22:06
English only in this forum, please.

N

Lifewaster
30-06-05, 18:25
Just an observation, but I think giving advice/tips in Mc5 is nice and all, but the real problem newbies are having nowadays is lack of access to ressers/consters, in neocron and doy cities.

Most of their enquiries for help in help channel leads to them being told "you need to get to techhaven" which they arent capable of at this stage of the game.

This coupled with the strange system of "better" spell modules on npc-traders in contrast to only "bad" weapons is causing many newbies to find themselves struggling to make any progress at these early levels if they arent monks.

For example, as a returning player rolling a brand new char on terra I made a monk and reached rank 40 and completed epic within 5 days. Yet last night I met a "newbie" in neocron city stuck at rank 8 after being playing the game for 6 days , and still using a "bad" pistol unable to find anyone to make a good weapon or get to techaven.

My opinion is if we want these new players to stay , the best advice they should be given in MC5 is sadly to reroll as a monk and at least be able to reach a medium lvl without needing player constructed weapons.

As this is obviously not ideal considering the monk over-population we already have, I would suggest would-be newbie-helpers should consider trying to provide a home-city construction service of some sort by creating constructors capable of capping newbie grade weapons and spending some time hanging around neocron city in particular.....

Another option is to provide drivers to give trips to techhaven.

But overall , I think the greatest help is needed in the starter cities rather than in MC5.

Scanner Darkly
15-07-05, 14:24
I agree with your points Lifewaster. However it might be a little bit harder to track down newbies once they're running wild on the streets of the cities than in MC5 where they have nowhere to hide...

I vote for a explosively swift underground monorail that will lead from NC to TH (with no exits in between) :) That should redress the scales of the "how-screwed-is-NC-o-meter" and might even stop some people whining for a few minutes...

On a somewhat unrelated note: would it be possible to code PLAYER ADVERTISEMENTS? I was thinking that in key areas (TH2, Plaza 1, MB, TGC, DoY CC) you could have small web banner style adds that would be made of player entered text and choosable (preset) icons. This could be tradeskillers/sellers advertizing, funny 'shout outs' and taunts as well as info for newbies. This way we wouldnt just get the ingame stores and the occasional Alienware sign and with the right player attitude it could add to the atmosphere...

I know the likelihood of this happening is extremely slim, but just think of the possibilities. Obvious problems would be players breaking the TOS and flagrantly spamming these banner bill boards. (obviously the price of each ingame banner would have to be high enough to put off spammers and limited to 1 add/char/RL week) Alternatively you could submit your banner/message to a faction representative for vetting (wouldl give them an important role on server). Adds would be logged to server in text form along with who posted them.

Had to get this out of my head, guess this is as good a place as any...

peace

Riddle
28-07-05, 14:14
For example, as a returning player rolling a brand new char on terra I made a monk and reached rank 40 and completed epic within 5 days. Yet last night I met a "newbie" in neocron city stuck at rank 8 after being playing the game for 6 days , and still using a "bad" pistol unable to find anyone to make a good weapon or get to techaven.

Hence why <<Logans Emporium>>Works out of Biotech HQ :p

The other day i had a lv 22 guy ask me to 'upgrade' his pistol he gave me a dex 2 'bad'pistol, I mean wtf? a true noob.
I said NO and gave him a ryker gatlin, he later DM'd me and says " SHIT this does loads of damage!!" :D

Something does need to be done either to :-
1 - Get noobs to TH easier, seen a few ideas like put the TH genrep in your startup list like your appy
2 - Attract Tradeskillers to either city for work, Bonus at Faction HQ's?

Torg
28-07-05, 16:33
1 - Get noobs to TH easier, seen a few ideas like put the TH genrep in your startup list like your appy
2 - Attract Tradeskillers to either city for work, Bonus at Faction HQ's?
uhm. not quite. i'm running tradeskillers on both 4slot servers, logging in occasionally and listening for noobs crying for help. donating a nice little weapon to a frustrated beginner as a welcome present is one of the funniest things to do atm. and i'm sure i'm not the only one to act this way. anyways, asking nicely will get you a lot of answers.

getting to TH is imho the _real_ noob epic. i was repeatedly giving hints or even guiding noobs there, but walking the wastes on your own with a 5/8-char is a true thrill you should enjoy at least once.

Morganth
28-07-05, 16:43
you invented words like "asshat"... guess the british "dickhead" wasnt good enough and needed altering? :p

What about "sidewalk" and "trashcan" then? As if looking at said object didn't give away its use, they had to name it like that for the good of the general public :rolleyes: