PDA

View Full Version : Norton firewall & new patches

Robotnix
04-05-05, 18:54
Hello Chaps,

I just wanted to make a short post regarding firewalls and this game, when ever this game has a new patch and is started up for the first time with the new patch, norton firewall pops up (which i know is normal) asking if this program should be permitted or blocked since it has changed slightly. Now, the problem is about 50 percent of the time the firewall box is behind the neocron game screen, and it is impossible to get to it as the neocron window refuses to budge so i can permitt the damn game. The only way out of this window lock is to reset my computer. Is this a issue with norton or is it neocron client being a friggin pain in the bottom?? :)
The patch before this i had no probs at all, the box appeared where it should, i set it to allow and all was fine.

|R@zor|
04-05-05, 18:57
I have the same problem but with ZoneAlarm.

The best way round it is everytime nc is patched, start neocron in windowmode the first time, click configure on the launcher then configure hardware, and select windowmode from the mode dropdown.

that way you'll be able to alt-tab and allow it access from the firewall box.

after you've done that go back to the launcher and set it back to your usual resolution.

Robotnix
04-05-05, 19:12
Thank you, i shall try this. :)

Nidhogg
04-05-05, 19:49
If you forget and are sitting at a black screen waiting to log in, ALT-TAB usually pops the firewall dialog to the front for you.

N

Obsidian X
04-05-05, 20:46
You could always just create an "exception" rule for client.exe, which will always allow all commmunication from that one file.

|R@zor|
04-05-05, 20:54
You could always just create an "exception" rule for client.exe, which will always allow all commmunication from that one file.

It does'nt always work like that, the client obviosly has a version number which changes after each patch, so most firewalls want it re-authorised to access the internet.

Jesterthegreat
04-05-05, 21:12
ugh... norton... the only good norton product is norton ghost