PDA

View Full Version : Global Neofrag

-FN-
02-05-05, 04:03
I had an idea tonight... what about a global NF zone that had an entrance in DoY and an entrance in NC? It would be like a Virtual Arena that everyone could PvP in and not really lose anything, just a great place to kill time and other people. It would be an arena of sorts that really encourages PvP practice. It could sport things like King of the Hill, CTF, and whatnot. A place to match your FPS PvP skills against others...

eprodigy
02-05-05, 04:06
yeah its a good idea been said before. people even just said why not stick a neofrag entrance in doy (or TH i guess). i think making wargames and neofrag connect to the same "network" would be good.

only problem i can think is... when you leave it how would it know where to send you back to ? doy or nc.. iguess by faction ?

-FN-
02-05-05, 04:07
Just remember where you went in maybe?

Scanner Darkly
02-05-05, 04:10
I think this is what we all want. So many times there are no OP wars or raids going on - so this would be the perfect arena for some bloody and intense action. Haven't even been in NF since I got back (anticity). Also it would be a great place for the lower ranked players to practice.

Voted robocow!

aKe`cj
02-05-05, 04:14
Just remember where you went in maybe?

..well he's got a point there. Travelling between the cities through said zone should be either impossible or 100% lethal.
The next worry to me would be how to implement it in a way that leaves enough room for a solid explanation of why exactly NC/DOY citizens are "allowed to play together". Reza would never agree to it... maybe a shabby login somewhere near the jailhouse // abandond sector XY -> safezone -> underground fragzone...

but overll not the worst idea... considering the current playercount

Scanner Darkly
02-05-05, 04:17
Well since it's a virtual world, it could be a way to find out your enemies' strengths and weaknesses in RP terms. Or it could be a really underground bloodsport - the login should really be in some out of the way of PP or OZ in the city. In that way Reeza would see it as a way of spying on the terror from the north.

Don't see a problem with there being one anywhere in the dome or even MB.

eprodigy
02-05-05, 04:58
well i dont know a lot of backstory but didnt tsunami open the original neofrag, and now they are opening the new WarGames, so mabye they hacked in or something and linked their networks. Having multiple places like this is like having a second city, two places cron's population cant cover. The main use for NF is duels mainly, since it can be hard to get people to come we dont want to limit the people to one side or another. NF1 is pretty damn easy to get into (GR pp3, or IND2) and run to it right in pp3 with no guards. (Although the good decks are now re-broken in NF1, and NF2 most are broken but Deck2 and 7(gay castle) Deck 1's on both do not seem to work as of yesterday, but did b4 the patch).

its not a matter of remembering, its a matter of do we want a link between the cities like that? it could/would be used to get into the opposite city, etc.

BUT I think if wargames should open it really needs to not be a seperate place, or it wont be used really, because most NC runners have very little chance to get into that doy sector, whereas PP3 is easy.

naimex
02-05-05, 05:24
so far the best idea for this has been a TH NF

wolfwood
02-05-05, 05:51
if there is one then i say its in a safe zone so people cant camp outside the entrance/exit to it

Test-0
02-05-05, 07:17
I think they could do it like a standard wasteland zone, only with the zone lines blocked and a base on either side (nc and doy maybe). With that you could also have vehicles. :D Though, as far as my knowledge of neofrag is, it works by not saving your character data while inside, but it may remember what happens to your vehicles inside, which means it will stay blown up. Hopefully I'm wrong about that though, because then it would be easier to implement. :) With two bases, the game can remember what enterence you used to get into nf and spawn you in the nc or doy base. Could even have a double sided op war, one team trying to take the others base, much like ctf.

Could be a little tight inside, being only a zone in length, but a nice way to unwind without any real losses. Heck, could even attract ut2k4 players with it. :)

eprodigy
02-05-05, 07:19
Isnt that pretty much what the game already is ? minus imp drop...

Test-0
02-05-05, 07:54
Actually there is a big diffrence from neofrag and actual in game combat (other then the bugs that is >_>). In op fights and the like, you have everything to loose. Imps, weaps, armor, money, you can loose them all. So even if you are a master at pvp, the danger of loosing anything, even if it's just time putting imps back in, it's still a loss that the mind takes in.

In neofrag (or whatever you want to call it) you loose nothing but your frag count. You don't have to worry about droping anything important or putting stuff back in, you just run back out shooting again, so you play much more recklessly. Now yes, specific players will play just as well in nf as out, but not everyone. Heck, even people with law inforcers can go in and have some fun (at least as far as the bugs will take them :).

Also, this may come as a surprise to people, but not everyone plays this game for the pvp. In fact I myself have only had ONE character that was ever in pvp combat and he only lasted for a few months before I deleted him. However, I do like hitting nf whenever I can, because it's not true pvp and thats just more fun to me. I don't HAVE to have the perfect setup or even the best weapons and imps, just an itchy trigger finger and some time to kill. :) If I die a bunch of times, I don't loose anything, I don't have to fix my armor or weapons, I keep everything I had and can go on playing knowing that some ass can't shoot me while I'm hacking a warbot or blow up a car I'm driving around in because they think it's 'fun'.

Anyways, yes, there is a big diffrence between neofrag and normal pvp. Maybe not to you, but to some people it's better then the alternative.

Superbron
02-05-05, 08:44
5 stars!

Vae Victis
02-05-05, 12:23
i thought plaza2 was a NF zone :(

anyway 5 stars, getting tired of those LEd runners doing the newbie missions, gimme ppl to fight and practise!

LOST
02-05-05, 13:47
there were suggestionos that wargames should infact be a 'hack' into neofrag rather than one for the dome, deaf ears really. there are other things more important to get on with i suppose.

as for putting a neofrag in TH it doesnt fit. its fa's home and a place for science and technology...not the mindless fun of burning someone to death with plasma.

now that MB has a safe zone...hint hint....combat training for the mercs..
that makes sense, most people have the gr -or will get it at some point as they level up.

-as for the reeza not allowing doy flok to 'play' with neocronians i dont think he would know much about it...if its a hack into the system....
wargames as a hack would be the best option i think.
a simple faction check on leaving neofrag would determine which city you sync back to.

landofcake
02-05-05, 13:50
Great idea.

Likelyhood ? - Nil

wolfwood
02-05-05, 15:58
now that i look at it, Military Base would make way more sense

Nidhogg
02-05-05, 20:10
So it would be just like playing football in no-man's land? No, it doesn't make any kind of RP sense. They're supposed to be entertainment devices - why would two warring states permit such a thing? Now if the Mercs had NF decks for serious military training purposes but were willing to hire them out at the right price, no questions asked, then that might make better sense. Otherwise, this suggestion just says "I'm too lazy to travel to play NF". ;)

N

Clobber
02-05-05, 21:41
Considering the ones we have now dont fucking work properly I think we should just forget this idea.

Kierz
03-05-05, 03:56
Neofrag (or wargamez) in MB would make the most sense in RP terms, and all other ways... PLEASE DO IT :(

Also neofrag zones should definately be safe zones, the amount of times I've had stupidly long syncs leaving neofrag on my doy tank is scarily annoying, thank god no one plays this game anymore or i woulda been ganked by some "hardcore pvper" who completely "outskilled" my synced ass.. =/

BTW I'm an ex-Quake 3 player, and I know quite a few other true-FPS players, I'm sure this would more than satisfy us, maybe even bring over some more ex-fpsers. IMO the "hardcore" FPS scene is dying due to the lack of gameplay focused FPS games, HL2 and D3 caught no one's attention (eye candy and laughable physics), although I hate to say it but a lot of them have started playing WOW, mmorpg's make a nice change to FPS's, but a mmorg that has fps-like pvp (which is what neocron is supposed to be) should be enough to steal a lot of the croud.

We just need somewhere to fight!

Drake6k
03-05-05, 04:05
I post in the brainport ages ago a similar idea.

I think the homecom station in apartments should have a "game spy" type system. There would be a list of games you could join. Players could create, name, password, exc their games for clan practice or whatever. Also some fun modes like 'low gravity' and such. This would be awesome but could probably replace OP wars and normal pvp :p so real pvp should be rewarded in more ways if this idea was implemented.

I have a new idea actually. A virtual clan apartment place for pvp and meeting clan mates. Still only accessable from homecom. For the sake of roleplay kk could say the player uses the genrep after selecting on homecom to teleport there :p

vashtyphoon78
03-05-05, 06:16
newby question (or a player that hasnt been back for a while)
is WarGames a new type of neofrag with like...vehicles or something? someone said it like it was like neofrag...just wondering :rolleyes:

Scanner Darkly
03-05-05, 15:19
afaik Wargames is the (as yet nonfunctioning) DoY version of NF.

Doc Holliday
03-05-05, 15:23
So it would be just like playing football in no-man's land? No, it doesn't make any kind of RP sense. They're supposed to be entertainment devices - why would two warring states permit such a thing? Now if the Mercs had NF decks for serious military training purposes but were willing to hire them out at the right price, no questions asked, then that might make better sense. Otherwise, this suggestion just says "I'm too lazy to travel to play NF". ;)

N

thats actually a real good idea nid. wp. :)

Vae Victis
03-05-05, 15:30
Nidhoggs idea is good.

but to reply on that Nid, who in this game actually roleplays? :D

i'd like to see some sort of NF at MB tho, will bring more ppl to MB.
speaking bout MB, its supposed to be for the military.. why not get some 120/120 mobs near J_01 aswell ?
I mean the Rebels have a better "military training" then the mercs, which is kinda <you know what i mean> :)

wolfwood
03-05-05, 16:01
Nidhoggs idea is good.

but to reply on that Nid, who in this game actually roleplays? :D

i'd like to see some sort of NF at MB tho, will bring more ppl to MB.
speaking bout MB, its supposed to be for the military.. why not get some 120/120 mobs near J_01 aswell ?
I mean the Rebels have a better "military training" then the mercs, which is kinda <you know what i mean> :)

good point, but the mb has always been lvling place for mid lvls. What also worries me is that newbies lvling out at the mb will have to suffer pking all the time (unless LE is kept in).

Bugs Gunny
03-05-05, 16:03
You don't see unle'd people leveling at mb bunker anymore.

Nvidia
03-05-05, 16:07
Considering the ones we have now dont fucking work properly I think we should just forget this idea.

What a load of... absolute truth! :)

He's right - fix all of the lag/resist/weapon damage/camera errors/random deaths/mislabeled terminals/incorrect player numbers on terminals/inability to add password to games/the incomplete War Games in the current NeoFrag first.

Fix that all before you go trying to reinvent the wheel.

Doc Holliday
03-05-05, 16:09
What a load of... absolute truth! :)

He's right - fix all of the lag/resist/weapon damage/camera errors/random deaths/mislabeled terminals/incorrect player numbers on terminals/inability to add password to games/the incomplete War Games in the current NeoFrag first.

Fix that all before you go trying to reinvent the wheel.

Can i smell a theme week?

Xylaz
03-05-05, 16:13
Can i smell a theme week?

theme year you mean?

Selendor
03-05-05, 16:30
People want a place to practise and to fight without risk, be it warzones in cities or a central neofrag. The least we need is a working Neofrag!

I think KK should be prioritising this because newbies are going to want to practise too.

Its all very well having the population split apart but if you put too many obstacles in the way of people getting a good fight then everyone gets bored, especially with low populations.

Tantta
03-05-05, 16:54
i love the idea.
wish kk starts actually thinking about it. ;)
5 stars

wolfwood
03-05-05, 17:47
personally i think KK has enough stuff on their plate atm, maybe in a few months we can expect something out of this idea.

xenocide
03-05-05, 20:34
I definitely think that it should be easier for NC and DOY runners to PvP together without losing anything, GRing into PP3 is fun... don't get me wrong, I like the chance of it, but It would make it more accessable to more people who are lazy ^^.

ZoVoS
04-05-05, 15:31
get a poker in NF get a player to rip out his herk give it to sombody else, the poker can then poke it in the herk user exits and reenters NF and then they both have herks/ds/sf/zurgbelts/uber 5 slot weapons/and so on to play around with until u leave NF, i used it to NF clone my bear paw cos the person i was fighting with only had a ceres blade, to even it up a bit,