PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe what fixed 95% of my FREs

BradSTL
01-05-05, 21:27
I managed to make 95% of my fatal runtime errors go away. You won't believe me when I tell you how I did it. It's actually pretty aggravating.

I turned off the Windows XP taskbar clock.

It eventually dawned on me that that flicker I was seeing out of the corner of my eye, in the lower right corner of my screen, was happening exactly once a minute. So if I either turn the statusbar clock off, or set the taskbar to auto-hide, then 95% of my fatal runtime errors go away.

Heavyporker
01-05-05, 21:59
0_0

okay. I'll look into it!

Actually, I notice something similiar was happnening to me, but that was the antivirus annoyware (free antivirus that came with OS install).

nobby
02-05-05, 03:32
KK should maybe say sex to j00...
i'll try it even though i don't really believe it...anything is better than nothing to rid of those fucking FRE's!

God...i've been on 4 MMO games, none of them have ever been as buggy as NC !

KK why don't you advertise for coders or staff?

i'm sure there's talent out there! :p

LiL T
02-05-05, 03:41
Thats interesting o_O I really can't see how that clock has anything to do with the FRE's but I'll try it.

BradSTL
02-05-05, 04:25
Well, I have noticed in the past that nothing increased my odds of an FRE like alt-tabbing. So my theory is that whatever routine is redrawing or refreshing that part of the screen after another program overwrites it has some kind of a problem. In other words, I think that in effect because the clock keeps trying to be the front-most application, it's as if I were alt-tabbing once a minute.

With the clock minimized, I dropped from about 2 FREs per hour to about one every other day.

SovKhan
02-05-05, 06:43
i run in windowed mode with taskbar disabled. it does FRE less than NC1 did but i cannot tell if its just NC2 or the way i run NC now.

netster
02-05-05, 06:43
well.... dont alt-tab out of the game ?? :)

SovKhan
02-05-05, 06:53
windowed mode allows you to alt tab when useing the directX9 drivers. thats why i use it.

Lincoln
02-05-05, 06:57
KK why don't you advertise for coders or staff?

i'm sure there's talent out there!

I know this will never happen, but you guys at KK could just open source some of your code. Have your paying customers help improve the game they love so much.

I'd love to inspect your 1337 coding skills. That is, assuming you're not writing in some weird, crazy, German coding language no one's ever heard of. Although, knowing you all at KK, it wouldn't be surprising.

C'mon, open source it. Pleeeeeeeaaasee!

Pretty, pretty pleeeeeeeaaasee!

I'll make you muffins!

Nidhogg
02-05-05, 11:51
I know this will never happen, but you guys at KK could just open source some of your code.
The clue is in the question.

N

Bugs Gunny
02-05-05, 11:55
Lol.

Judging by some of the stuff that people got banned for in the past, i guess neocron's code is "open" enough as it is.

Vae Victis
02-05-05, 12:12
i fixed my lag problem...
turn off my pr0n downloads before starting neocron o_O

careturtles

Bugs Gunny
02-05-05, 12:18
Bittorrent and neocron is a definite nono :-)

ROZZER187
02-05-05, 12:26
try tellin that to average joe, he was on a pk fest in plaza and still didn't die with torrent running :lol:

though his buffs miss cast alot :lol:

you were lucky m8 :p

Bugs Gunny
02-05-05, 12:30
You know what i hate about average joe? He crouches a lot in his evasive paterns. I'm constantly trying to aim for his head, and BLAM, i hit his hair (damn ugly wig btw).

But sometimes lag is actualy good for pvp.

Vae Victis
02-05-05, 12:45
i prefer high FPS and no lag.. but hey thats just me :D

sultana
02-05-05, 13:12
You know what i hate about average joe? He crouches a lot in his evasive paterns. I'm constantly trying to aim for his head, and BLAM, i hit his hair (damn ugly wig btw).

You could always just aim at their body :rolleyes:

I remember naimex bitched to me abit when I kept crouching when we were nfing :lol:

Bugs Gunny
02-05-05, 13:36
I try to be carefull, i was told all shots below the belt don't count :D

Infinite
02-05-05, 13:43

Newsleecher + neocon works fine.

landofcake
02-05-05, 13:48
try tellin that to average joe, he was on a pk fest in plaza and still didn't die with torrent running :lol:

though his buffs miss cast alot :lol:

you were lucky m8 :p

"Fancy a duel ?"

"er ... just let this torrent finish" :P

Vae Victis
02-05-05, 17:41
I try to be carefull, i was told all shots below the belt don't count :D everything counts in love and war :D

ROZZER187
02-05-05, 20:37

it is??? :wtf:
oh wait yeah you mean the mem leak when someone pulls there pistol fires a shot then just stands still waiting to be killed :lol:

yeah had that when i upgraded to nc2 so i went and bought me loads of ramm

lol @ your avatar ice

Jesterthegreat
02-05-05, 21:44
can we not turn threads on FRE's into discussions about me? ;)

ZoVoS
03-05-05, 03:37
still dont free and rarely sinc,

i put it down to closing explorer.exe then ctrl alt del ing open task manager using run to open launcher then closing taskmanager

nothing runs in the background, :P basicaly have no windows lol

game went to 12 mb free memory today, so worryed, then a pker found me and the longer we fought the more my free memory went up lmao, by the end of the fight i had 114mb left

Jesterthegreat
03-05-05, 08:39
i put it down to closing explorer.exe then ctrl alt del ing open task manager using run to open launcher then closing taskmanager

nothing runs in the background, :P basicaly have no windows lol

hmm... assuming ventrillo works with explorer closed down i may try this...

ROZZER187
03-05-05, 10:28
can we not turn threads on FRE's into discussions about me? ;)

sry m8 it was just funny listenin to you on vent when you had torrent running :lol:

was just pointing out that its still possible to pvp with lag as you proved the other day in plaza :p

Jesterthegreat
03-05-05, 13:19
sry m8 it was just funny listenin to you on vent when you had torrent running :lol:

was just pointing out that its still possible to pvp with lag as you proved the other day in plaza :p

to be fair i wasnt pvping... just dodging and re buffing when needed...

ppu's can be so lame some times ;)

ZoVoS
03-05-05, 19:37
hmm... assuming ventrillo works with explorer closed down i may try this...

ye, i have vent or teamspeak in background, only prosses working, and thats only when i wana log to listen in, my mics fooked lol

Heavyporker
03-05-05, 20:58
er... is turning off explorer.exe off wise?

and does it effect crashes/errors significantly?

Jesterthegreat
04-05-05, 00:02

and does it effect crashes/errors significantly?

closing it isnt an issue... and if you need to do something in windows you can always relaunch it via taskmanager (without the junk running in the background too).

whether it makes a difference... who knoes. the probs with NC arent consistant enough to test it

Zeninja
04-05-05, 00:16
Listen up children.. I just found that thing which makes the whole thing go FRE : neocron.exe :D

I've been trying playin nc last 2 days with clock disabled, but I didn't notice any significant change (more exhaustive tests and time would be better so as to be sure about this). All I could say is that FRE always happens in those conditions :

- long time staying in the same zone (about 1 hour for example), then you change zone, you have FRE 95% time you try to load next area (or infinite synch in the best case)
- long time not relaunching whole game (I do ALTF4 as often as possible, maybe does it clear some kind of cache ? I almost have no FRE doing like this, but it's pretty hard to play when teaming or involved in a long fight)
- extensive manipulation of your stuff in inventory

I've been playing for months nc1/nc2 running alternate shell on windows XP and 2k (litestep or outlook for example) : no difference

04-05-05, 11:12

Not if you're running a Win9x OS it isnt ;-)

ZoVoS
04-05-05, 15:15
its not jsut that, i turn basicaly everything off, not much left on when im playing, but then i never realy had as many free's and sincs as most ppl

Scanner Darkly
05-05-05, 07:03
Since I started using task bar autohide, I noticed a few less FREs also. Guess NC and the windows clock don't care for each other all that much...

ZoVoS
06-05-05, 09:14
grrr hate it when i need to leave explorer on cos i have stur that i need to alt tab and do regularly while playing, i free all the time with processes in teh background, :D but serious when i have noting in the background the game is running perfect (well as perfect as nc can run lol, i do ocationaly get a no right click and i have to zone to get rid),

Superbron
20-05-05, 11:35
Since I started using task bar autohide, I noticed a few less FREs also. Guess NC and the windows clock don't care for each other all that much...
I guess there is a conflict between the windows clock and the faster time in Neocron :p

Anyway, turning the clock off actually does reduce the amount of FRE I get.

Bugs Gunny
20-05-05, 11:48
Yeah, who needs that clock anyway?
Everyone has either parrents or a wife/gf screaming at you how long you've been playing anyway :D

Superbron
20-05-05, 12:17
Yeah, who needs that clock anyway?
Everyone has either parrents or a wife/gf screaming at you how long you've been playing anyway :D
:lol: So sad, but so true!!!

Zeninja
20-05-05, 13:19
:lol: So sad, but so true!!!
I wish...

http://www.yatoula.com/gif/smiley_2/smiley_707.gif