PDA

View Full Version : Rubber band effect

aquacoder
01-05-05, 11:31
I got really bad rubber band effect on my ppu sinse last 2 patches. It's really weired at the moment if i am syncing in some dungeon like pl2 aggies. I need to wait for minutes till i can move forward.

Anyone expiriencing similar problems ?

msdong
01-05-05, 11:49
turn on V-Sync on GFX. that remove the effect

Jesterthegreat
01-05-05, 12:17
turn on V-Sync on GFX. that remove the effect

yup... its been like this for god knows how long.

sacrifice fps to zone properly... stupid that we have to do it, but thats the way it is.

aquacoder
01-05-05, 12:25
Where can i change this setting ? Usually software offers the option itself.
I can not no find this option in the gfx settings. I got ATI card with normal Catalyst drivers.

Jesterthegreat
01-05-05, 12:29
Where can i change this setting ? Usually software offers the option itself.
I can not no find this option in the gfx settings. I got ATI card with normal Catalyst drivers.

ATI?

why would you do that to yourself...

with a real gfx card you would go to display properties (IE desktop etc) - settings - advanced - "insert gfx card name" and then flick through the options.

her.
01-05-05, 12:58
now now ive done fine wit my radeon for a long time...no problems wut so eva :p

aquacoder
01-05-05, 13:15
Nahhh... ATI is OK. Had also problems with NVIDIA in the past. All manufacturer got specific problems.

It's really not the answer i expect ;)

And i mean... i never ever had such funny and childish problems with any software, as i have here now with neocron... nor with games, consumer software or pro graphics software. lol

I will test Omega drivers, perhaps this one has the right option.

Heavyporker
01-05-05, 18:17
OHHhh man! I been getting that rubberband effect too. Bloody annoying.

I'll try that v-sync thing at home when I get off work.

RDevz
01-05-05, 21:08
sacrifice fps to zone properly... stupid that we have to do it, but thats the way it is.

Any increase in FPS above your monitor's refresh rate will have no benefit whatsoever. The only thing you're sacrificing is the ability to massage your e-penis by having a higher FPS than everyone else.

Jesterthegreat
01-05-05, 22:47
Any increase in FPS above your monitor's refresh rate will have no benefit whatsoever. The only thing you're sacrificing is the ability to massage your e-penis by having a higher FPS than everyone else.

i get 25 fps in medicare for example...

thats somewhat below my refresh rate.

but 1gig mem on order... to arrive on wednesday

landofcake
01-05-05, 23:16

He's right you know ...

It is impossible to notice differences in frame rate above the referesh rate of your monitor (and yes this goes for TFT's too). This is simply because they are effectively 'lost frames', they cannot be drawn. So for this reason (if you've got a TFT) it can be better to run it at 60Hz as FPS drops are less noticeable (you've got a further 15fps headroom compared to 75Hz, the highest refresh rate most TFT's run at). Although i wouldn't use a 60Hz refresh rate with a CRT, that will destroy your eyes ;)

aKe`cj
02-05-05, 02:03
Although i wouldn't use a 60Hz refresh rate with a CRT, that will destroy your eyes ;)

I used to play on a 14" IBM that is probably older than a good few of the trolls arround here :p
The framerate combined with 1024x768 on 14" were a little exhausting for the eyes... but hey, at least it was in color! :)

RDevz
02-05-05, 02:07
I used to play on a 14" IBM that is probably older than a good few of the trolls arround here :p
The framerate combined with 1024x768 on 14" were a little exhausting for the eyes... but hey, at least it was in color! :)

But... the flicker! Can't you people *see* the flicker at anythign under 70Hz? I miss the monitor I had at work over the summer. My desktop was 2048*1536@100Hz (comedy 23" monitor that was used by a design engineer before he was "let go"), and I was just a junior code hack.

IceStorm
02-05-05, 02:30
Any increase in FPS above your monitor's refresh rate will have no benefit whatsoever.That's not how it works.

V-sync forces the video card to synchronize frame buffer output with the start of each frame on the monitor. If the buffer has a new frame ready, it'll delay output until the current frame is finished being disaplyed. What can happen is that it can take, say, 1.5 frames to build a new image. With vsync off, you get the next frame drawn into the bottom half of Frame 2. With vsync on, you don't get new frame information until Frame 3. If the card's off all the time, you end up with not 75 FPS, but 50, 37.5, or 25 FPS. Not 85, but 56.6, 42.5, or 27.3 - etc, etc.

With v-sync off, the card dumps new frames as fast as it draws them, even if it's in the middle of drawing a frame. That's why you get the "tearing effect" when v-sync is off - the card draws the first half of one finished frame, then goes right into drawing the bottom half of the next frame when it's ready for display.

That's why you don't wany v-sync enabled if you're playing an FPS. As Neocron's only a pseudo-FPS, and its framerate sucks ass anyway (compared to Q3A, UT2K4, etc), it's not a big deal to enable V-sync.

nobby
02-05-05, 03:34
i used to get the rubber band when i used 56K !

Jake Cutter
02-05-05, 03:39
Aquacoder:

You can find the V-Sync option here...

Display Properties | 'Advanced' Button

'3D' Tab

In 3D Settings for Direct3D, you will see a checkbox for 'Use Custom Settings'

Check that then click the Custom button

The settings that come up should have an option slider for "Wait for Vertical Sync". Slide it fully over to the right, then apply the settings.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Jake Cutter

Heavyporker
02-05-05, 06:43
Looked hither and yon. Damn ATI Control Panel interface. Gave up and went to turn on custom settings, toggled "Wait for vertical refresh" to "always on".

edit:

WOW!!! Totally changed things. I went to some problem spots. The rubberbanding's nowhere near as bad as it was before. I took bradstl's suggestion of auto-hiding the windows taskbar, and it seems to help - haven't crashed in like 45 minutes.

Amazing! It's like I have a whole new computer!

aquacoder
02-05-05, 09:13
Thanx for all the advices guys! I have installed omega driver and found the special option. It seems i am only getting "one rubber band effect" and then its ok for me.

landofcake
02-05-05, 13:45
That's not how it works.

V-sync forces the video card to synchronize frame buffer output with the start of each frame on the monitor. If the buffer has a new frame ready, it'll delay output until the current frame is finished being disaplyed. What can happen is that it can take, say, 1.5 frames to build a new image. With vsync off, you get the next frame drawn into the bottom half of Frame 2. With vsync on, you don't get new frame information until Frame 3. If the card's off all the time, you end up with not 75 FPS, but 50, 37.5, or 25 FPS. Not 85, but 56.6, 42.5, or 27.3 - etc, etc.

With v-sync off, the card dumps new frames as fast as it draws them, even if it's in the middle of drawing a frame. That's why you get the "tearing effect" when v-sync is off - the card draws the first half of one finished frame, then goes right into drawing the bottom half of the next frame when it's ready for display.

That's why you don't wany v-sync enabled if you're playing an FPS. As Neocron's only a pseudo-FPS, and its framerate sucks ass anyway (compared to Q3A, UT2K4, etc), it's not a big deal to enable V-sync.

Enlightening !!!

What i really meant was that it's not noticeable to you when you're running VSync because you can't notice FPS changes above the refresh rate of your monitor. So what baffles me is that people complain about having less FPS, yet the difference truly isn't noticeable because all it's doing is syncing to the refresh rate. Anything over that wouldn't be noticeable anyway.