PDA

View Full Version : Anyone trying Guild Wars?

Selendor
27-04-05, 12:36
Was just reading through the GuildWars site, as its released this week. Looks interesting, obviously the pay model is attractive, but it almost sounds like it could replicate the high-end PvP of Neocron, without the 5 months of grind and bugs to get there. Fantasy setting though...and I'm not sure if it would play like Quake Arena (too fast for my liking)...

Anyone been in beta / is planning to get it?

Siygess
27-04-05, 12:43
Yup, thoroughly enjoyed Beta, though because of the piece-meal approach, I only played a couple of the "beta weekends". It plays a lot like WoW; It's missing the unique art style but GW looks pretty enough and the quest system is, IMHO better than WoW. I recall one quest - a starter quest as I recall, where upon completion you are treated to an in-game cutscene with you and your party in a situation that felt very similar to the medal scene at the end of Star Wars: A New Hope.

It has some other neat features too, like hireable henchmen so you can go and do a quest solo if you can't find a party, and did I mention it has bards? I love bards ;)

As I understand it, PvP characters will start at the maximum level (20 - you can see what they're going to be doing with the expansion packs, can't you?) so you can concentrate on the PvP and not on the grind.. nice if PvP is your thing.

I've pre-ordered the collectors edition because I figure that I can play this now and again when I'm bored, without having to justify a sub fee when I'm not playing it.

Bugs Gunny
27-04-05, 12:50
Just checked out mmorpg.com and guildwars.com.

I must say there is no other game one mmorpg.com that gets 99% positive remarks. I'm not into the whole fantasy thing, but i'm buying this after work, today.

Maester Seymour
27-04-05, 13:13
Been playing guildwars ever since they had the E3 event in May 2004.
Great game imo, preordered it in Oct last year. :)