PDA

View Full Version : Best Voice Comms Software

numb
25-04-05, 13:49
What's best for neocron, in terms of performance, memory/bandwidth overhead and stability. Ventrillo or Teamspeak?

I only have 512MB ram in my PC, 2mbit down/256k up connection.

Also, are there noticeable slowdowns using either of these programs?

To start with I'm just gonna use it with for me & one other mate, although eventually I imagine I'll join some op warring clan.

Dragor
25-04-05, 13:53
we have always used teamspeak and i have never mentioned loses of performace (i hope loses is the right word arggg my english sucks^^)

i have 512 MB RAM
2,2 GHZ
and DSL (1MBit down/ 125KBit up)

Jesterthegreat
25-04-05, 13:55
i've always prefered vent to teamspeak... but from what i hear it depends on the codecs you use on either program.

Bugs Gunny
25-04-05, 13:58
Ventrilo makes me sound like a nutored choirboy with a robotic twist after five minutes.

Teamspeak is a lot better, never had issues with it.

Kuya
25-04-05, 14:00
Vent is good ! TS no experiance, Vent is even better when you get a good codec

CMaster
25-04-05, 15:55
TS has larglye been fine for me - not used vent yet.

Genty
25-04-05, 16:32
In my experience Ventrillo uses up less resources that TS, although with this bring a lower quality voice. Although it is not really that bad.

Dr Strange
25-04-05, 17:01
Vent does use slightly less memory and cpu usage than Teamspeak2.

Both can sound equal to each other depending apon what codecs you set them to use.

Teamspeak 2 seems more stable over all as less people have technical problems with it. (i.e. easier to set up their mic, less soundcard issues etc)

Vent is a smaller program that is more compact and less expansive, but seems to give more people trouble over all with technical problems. (i.e. mics not working properly, people transmitting static for no reason, etc)

With both sounding roughly the same in quality, Vent seems to require a slightly better Soundcard that most people use. Even in today's pc's alot of soundcards are intergrated into the mobo, and some work well with Vent. Most won't cut it. Teamspeak however seems to work wonders across the spectrum of soundcards, from the shittiest mobo onboard card's to the latest and greatest. This is a huge plus for Teamspeak 2, who's going to spend $30 for a new sound card just to use Vent?

Vent's nice don't get me wrong, I've just been burned by it too many times.

numb
25-04-05, 17:07
Cheers for the replies. Looks like I'll have to give them both a try. I do have quite a decent soundcard, so vent sounds like it'll be okay for now (assuming my mate gets it working).

SovKhan
25-04-05, 18:48
TS has a few more features than vent like being able to see when someone has muted there mic/speakers ect.

in vent you can see who is talking in any channel on the entire server, TS you can only see who is talking in your channel and will not see who is talking in channels you are not in.

mainly how good they are is almost entirely dependent on what codec and what server you are on. shitty codec and shitty server on either one would make them horrible.

landofcake
25-04-05, 18:49
I've used both, but i personally prefer the quality of Ventrilo.

Jesterthegreat
25-04-05, 19:26
people should stop saying vent needs a good sound cards on vent / ts threads...

i have never bought a soundcard, i only use onboard sound and i have never had an issue with vent.

thats with about 3 different mobo's :p

Dr Strange
25-04-05, 19:57
people should stop saying vent needs a good sound cards on vent / ts threads...

i have never bought a soundcard, i only use onboard sound and i have never had an issue with vent.

thats with about 3 different mobo's :p

You're lucky then :(

I've tried 2 different mobos on 2 different computers both with different onboard sound (tested various drivers and such).

On both I get the whole "static" transmitting problem. Can hear others just fine but after a couple minutes if I tried to talk it'd just be nothing but static on other peoples ends. The Vent f.a.q says this is a common problem the only solution is binding a key to reset the input device which you then toggle every time it happens....So to speak I'd have to toggle two keys every other minute and the effect would only last until it broke down again a few moments later.

On TS, I've used it on at least a dozen or more systems (my own personal pc and many others) and I've never once had a problem getting it to work with a sound card and/or drivers. Just install it, setup the bindings for it and go ;)

nobby
25-04-05, 21:54
Skype is the sex of all mothers!

www.skype.com

if you say that sound quality is crap on Vent. U wanna hear the codec on phaze's ventrilo. Fucking Crystal clear!
watch the musical chairs video if u wanna see what i mean :p

-FN-
25-04-05, 22:09
You have three choices:

- Ventrilo 2.1.4
- Ventrilo 2.2.0
- Teamspeak 2

- Ventrilo 2.1.4 has less CPU/System usage than Teamspeak 2.
- Ventrilo 2.1.4 uses the GSM 6.10 Voice Codec, where Teamspeak lets you choose from well over a dozen codecs and lets you designate what channels use what.
- Teamspeak 2 has MySQL support while Ventrilo 2.1.4 runs off a text cfg.
- Ventrilo has "Text-to-Speech" capabilities, Teamspeak does not.
- Ventrilo allows authentication per User or one general Password for the server.
- Teamspeak allows authentication per User AND per Server.

I don't know much about 2.2.0 because Flagship sucks. They won't let anyone but licensed corporation to run a server (that allows more than 8 connections). I'm not paying any stupid company money to use their Ventrilo 2.2.0 Server that I have to wait for any maintenance on and can't password per user, when SXR has it's own and I can manage it in the blink of an eye.

We use Ventrilo 2.1.4 atm, but I've tested Teamspeak 2. Most likely, when TS3 gets released we will move to that due to the built-in MySQL support and several other features that Ventrilo 2.1.4 is lacking. Hope that helps.

Drake6k
26-04-05, 17:24
We use Ventrilo 2.1.4 atm, but I've tested Teamspeak 2. Most likely, when TS3 gets released we will move to that due to the built-in MySQL support and several other features that Ventrilo 2.1.4 is lacking. Hope that helps.

NOOOO!!!!! TS SUCKS!!!! Ventrilo rulz!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand teamspeak it fills me with hate and anger, please don't switch. Teamspeak is like the windows XP home of voice chats.

Ventrilo 2.1.4 FOREVER!!!!