PDA

View Full Version : Need Monitor advice

Opar
25-04-05, 08:53
Okay, so its my birthday today (w00t), I've decided to buymyself a new monitor with my combined savings + birthday money. But

I cant decide whether fo buy a 19" (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=2758&category_id=40&manufacturer_id=0) which is pretty cheap.

Or, a good 17" one.

Im not sure how games would run at 1280x on my 9800 Pro/AMD64 3000+/1gb of RAM, either.

All advice is welcome.

dark_reaper
25-04-05, 09:47
Well If you are just going to be gameing or editing video stick with CRT monitors. With gameing the LCD's will lag up to a second. Mine had a 1.23sec delay. So I switched to CRT. But if it is a GeForce 6800gt u have no option unless you have a converter.

LOST
25-04-05, 12:46
16ms response time is pretty slow..think ive seen a sony with 8ms.

you should expect a 'lag' delay on fast moving stuff.
(i'd prbably put up with the delay for a sexy lcd though)

Obsidian X
25-04-05, 13:17
16ms is quite a poor response time; I bought my 19" LCD uneducated in the facts about LCDs and response times, and the lag on my 16ms LCD is pretty bad. That said, I'm used to it now, and tend not to notice it much. It will take some getting used to after years of using a CRT however.

mulle
25-04-05, 16:47
The best and cheapest LCD monitor you'll get is a Samsung 913N, it's just the best there is...and don't be fooled by the lack of DVI, because it means close to jack

Lexxuk
25-04-05, 17:49
I got a nice 17inch LCD with 14ms response time, but you gotta be careful when you read the response times as it has two meanings, there are two different response times, cant remember exactly, but consider it up and down if up is 20 and down is 10, the avg response time is 15, so they can state a 15ms response time. iirc though, response time is basically how quickly the monitor can go from white to black / black to white.

I havent been pushing my monitor in any way/shape/form however, just FFXI, but I've noticed zero lag, some people *think* they see it, but are just imagining things (they are insane). If you can get a 19inch LCD, go for it, CRT will always be better for lots of reasons, but LCD is smart looking, takes no space, good response times, and ya, they make girls horny

dark_reaper
25-04-05, 21:37
When playing FPS the 15ms will make a big difference. :p

Omnituens
26-04-05, 16:45
only reason id get a LCD is for a i-event where moving a CRT is just not practical

Blind Paul
27-04-05, 11:18
Okay, so its my birthday today (w00t), I've decided to buymyself a new monitor with my combined savings + birthday money. But

Happy Birthday, even if it's gone by now ;-)

I cant decide whether fo buy a 19" (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=2758&category_id=40&manufacturer_id=0) which is pretty cheap.

Or, a good 17" one.

Im not sure how games would run at 1280x on my 9800 Pro/AMD64 3000+/1gb of RAM, either.

All advice is welcome.

If you tend to take the LCD road, aim for a good 17" one. 19" (allmost all) have the same native resolution (1280x1024) so you get less DPI, which just happens to blurr things sometimes.

Or decide to step up a league and go for 20"+, where you get a native 1600x1200 resolution. But as far as I know, there aren't any reliable FPS quality monitors (read: fast enough fall/rise times aka "response time").

I love me Eizo monitor, but they aren't exactly cheap... ;-)

greets,

:cool: Paul