PDA

View Full Version : A rant about MC5

CMaster
23-04-05, 19:02
OK, so we all got our Marine/SF/Psi-core/SS/SRI in our heads, right. And we all would really like another one. So there are these "Area MC5" chips around, that are essentialy just another one of the above. But they are made so that you have to build them from 6 parts, and the parts can only be aquired in one specific location.

So whatever, you either earn large amounts of money/items (yay for timesinks), or you go to this location you can aquire these things. And what do you find? A small room, with mobs that insta-kill you if you stand in their LoS. Instead you hide behind a wall and shoot at another wall. And thats it. If you are a tank, you sit behind a wall staring at nothing but another wall and shoot, loot after a bit then reset. If you are a PPU you watch a tank shoot a wall and rez him occasioanlly. And just farm ad infinitum. Sometimes there is a droner there, sometimes another PPU/Tank team, so you wait a bit longer between your farming runs. This is high-level "content"? Shooting a wall is the ultimate non-pvp challenge in this game? Using a technique that is one step away from safespotting (or as some argue, 0 steps away for droners).

So what am I saying? Redo MC5 totally. At the moment it is just a complete and utter joke. Make MC5 somewhere with a bit of variety and a real challenge to it. Maybe needs more than just two people to do and is more than just one small room.

Concept (to give an idea of what I am after). A series of rooms or so.
Area MC5 Entrance security First room or so. Stacked up with turrets. You can either bulldoze your way through the turrets (no real loot, just computer type stuff) or a hacker in MC5 Hack (ideally around TH Bridgelink) can deactivate the security in this room, allowing progression to the next room.
Area MC5 Command Centre
Feature mobs like our old friend the base commander and guards (reduced power) and the Administrator (cowers in a corner, succesful interogation (based on int) delays first technician appearence by 1/2 spawn rate). Just a plain old-fasioned fight. Commander will call in occasioanl reinforcements until killed (no too many) unless a hacker in AMC5 Hack deactivates the communications. Three doors lead off Security Barracks, Power Gnereation and Research Labs.
Area MC5 Security Barracks
Just a room full of bunks and lockers (reasonable loot if anyone is crazy enough to hack the lockers - armour, stealtht tools, etc) and a continuous spawn of security guards. Not necissary for a basic chip aquiring run, but the mobs in here drop "Area MC5 Plasma rifles" a TL90 drop only rifle.
Area MC5 Power Generation
The next step in a chip aquiring run. The team has to go in here and either use a pre-constructed "power generation deactivater" (Tl150, BPs aquried from a cabinet in this room) or research the generator (TL115, "fire" tool on generator) and then shooting the discovered weak spot. This now opens the door to AMC5 Labs. From now on every so often(say 1 minute? 2 minutes?), an Area MC5 Technincan will come in and attempt to fix the generator. If he is successful, then the team in labs will almost certainly die. Some team members should be tasked to stay in power generation and tasked to fight the Technician (maybe make it so a lone character, rather than a fighter/ppu team can fight him).
Area MC5 Research Labs
Not accessible until the deactivation of the power generator, at which point the door unlocks. Contains 3-4 Area MC5 Scientists (toughest mob so far, using a pistol weapon, possibly variant of the rifles the guards use) and the 100/100 Area MC5 Security Robot (can be controlled by a AMC5 Hack hacker, otherwise fights the runners in the lab). A locked test chamber at the rear of the room contains a complete, randomly selected MC5 chip. Two ways of accessing the chamber - one of the scientists contains the access key. Take and you can open the chamber OR the 3 security interlocks in the lab can be hacked (TL140ish). If the power is restored at any point, LOTS of Area MC5 Advanced Security Turrets 127/127 come from the ceiling and open fire after approx 15 seconds (gives the team chance to run, also 15 seconds untill door relocks.
Area MC5 Hack
Entrance is somewhere fairly neutral, EG around TH bridgelink, Possibly also accessible from somewhere in H-14. Upon inital entry there is the firewall, a small maze with randomly generated routes through, and mobs traveling along that can be hidden from. Once inside there are Area MC5 ICE units (100/100) and Area MC5 anti-virus units (80/80, spawn 40/40 Threat Neutralisers). Pathways lead to a platform with Area MC5 communication Deamons (if all destroyed, Base Commander cannot call reinforcements), a console referred to as Area MC5 Security Control (using brings up old-fasioned hack, completion deactivates turrets in entrace) and another console labeled Area MC5 Robotics Control - gives drone-style control of the robot in Area MC5 lab, with allleusual risks to the meatsack (or in this case, datasack). Also drifting around is the 127/127 Area MC5 Data Security Deamon. Can (with skill) be avodided. If killed drops "Phoenix hack systems attack software", a new drop-only hack weapon.
Loot
Not exactly sure on the specifics, but the mobs should drop moderately valuable/useful loot, as well as the special items mentioned above. Maybe whole marines/SFs from the guards/commander, SS from the techinicians/scientists. In hacknet maybe codebreaker parts or something useful to hackers, even rare datafragments. The MC5 chips themselves could be perhaps be changed a little. Rather than just the SA being a clone of the SF but with +6 Dex, perhaps it gives a slightly different combination of bonuses.

Anyway, it doesnt have to be exactly like that, but something to that effect would make it worthwhile high level content, rather than as it as at the moment, the boringest farming in the game.

CMaster
23-04-05, 20:02
Feel free to add coments with your votes, people.

Tantta
23-04-05, 20:06
hmm need to think about this.

Bugs Gunny
24-04-05, 00:34
KK needs to put another MC5 like area 4 zones from NC city entrance.
If you mark out the best leveling or hunting areas on the map, and then see which is closer, the dome or nc, you'll come to realise that KK has the game seriously biased towards the dome.

Heavyporker
24-04-05, 00:38
*cough*

The high level caves were in place LONG before the Dome was in.

MC5 was in quite a while before the Dome.

Kinda hard to say that KK intentionally biased things to favor the Dome.

Terayon
24-04-05, 01:47
Kinda hard to say that KK intentionally biased things to favor the Dome.
Er, who said it was intentional?

Also i voted no, but i ment to vote yes :o . Good idea, little complicated though.

CMaster
24-04-05, 01:50
WEll, yeah. The idea was just an idea of what could be. The important thing is that the current state of MC5 needs to be reviewed.

Scanner Darkly
24-04-05, 02:52
It's almost a game in itself. MC5 has been unbearable from the start. Even with the extra barriers and back room it was a nauseating, unimaginative nightmare. Have to give you top marks for effort and imagination Cmaster, but as to whether something like this will ever get implemented...I don't dare finish this sentence.

Come on vote people, those stars are there for a reason. Unless you like the current brainless mindnumbing grind that is MC5.

Possible problem might be multiple groups going in at the same time - MC5 might be one place instancing would be needed

Meliglianor
24-04-05, 10:42
Cmaster i totally agree with you.. and the ideas you've posted here are excellent :)

trigger hurt
24-04-05, 14:34
Cmaster i totally agree with you.. and the ideas you've posted here are excellent :)

The ideas he's presenting have also been hashed and rehased. KK don't really have any idea what High Level content is, but then again, neither do many of the other MMO's out there.

AO. You grind for a long time then hit high level static or instanced dungeons. Getting a full set of Tier armor (there are 3 different sets of Tier armor for each profession) takes a lot of camping. Then, there are high level mobs that people use to farm cash. It has gotten to one point where people are actually paid to team with a high level char that does AoE damage while they go afk. I've seen high end pvp in AO. It's pretty much zone whoring (they call em Whompah wars) or tower wars. Players have the ability to create org owned cities, but other players can't actually attack them. They are strictly for alien raids and some other bonii to skills.

WoW. Grind up to 60 then pvp. What's the point of grinding or camping another spawn if you have everything you need. So, they add more stuff that you need to get for pvp, causing an endless cycle of grind, get bored, add stuff, grind some more.

Haven't tried EQ2 so I can't really comment.

Of all the mmo's. there don't seem to be any that really offer high end content. If quests or missions or teaming to kill the ubermob is your idea of high end content, most of the MMO's today have that sorted out and you could be satisified with anything.

If pvp is your thing, only a few have decent pvp. AO's pvp is beyond carebear. WoW's pvp only allows you to attack someone of the opposite side, so you can't deal with that guy that is a real dick because he's horde and so are you, still carebear. Reading through some of the threads on wow forum, the battlegrounds thing is a fucking joke. Only game with decent enough pvp i've seen is Neocron and FoMk, both of which are great concepts but are missing something in the long run.

Heavyporker
24-04-05, 15:50
I'll agree that MC5 atm does put me off tremendously, even though I have gone there long, long time ago, and I could concievably hire a PPU or two to go with me.

hegemon
24-04-05, 16:14
Why not just leave mc5 and implement new high level areas?

Finishing mc5 once is easy. Doing if consistenly and fast without unnecessary delays (rezzing the tank or dying ppu are unnecessary delays) is hard.

Inchenzo
24-04-05, 17:55
As it currently stands, mc5 is waay to easy.
It might be good to have 2 mc5 caves, to prevent camping, or start instancing the place cos i'm getting sick of my faction sympths getting fucked all the time when i go there.

Infinite
24-04-05, 19:28
Getting chips is jsut a time sync before PVP anyway.
No point remaking MC5, KK have far to many more important things to change IMO.

90% of people play NC for the PVP not the PVM anyway.

Scanner Darkly
24-04-05, 20:19

Just because NC is traditionally a PvP centered game doesn't mean that the PvM content has to be dull. Structured team missions, "sven coop style" in NC, which are genuinly tough but rewarding would boost morale and help build a good team mentality which comes in handy on the (PvP battlefield).

Anyway, that's just my optimistic 10 shillings.

PS: and according to what I think Snowcrash mentioned these will be coming anyway...

CMaster
24-04-05, 20:53

But MC5s are neccesaary for the best PvP setups - so in order to enjoy neocron's supposedly "great" PvP, you have to grind away at a challeenge that doesnt deserve to be called a game? Wonderfuul.

(And yes, I know you can PvP without MC5s, as I do, but flick htrough the setups froum...)

Infinite
24-04-05, 21:32
But MC5s are neccesaary for the best PvP setups - so in order to enjoy neocron's supposedly "great" PvP, you have to grind away at a challeenge that doesnt deserve to be called a game? Wonderfuul.

(And yes, I know you can PvP without MC5s, as I do, but flick htrough the setups froum...)

Hehe,
MC5 was fun when I got my mains MC5s, the glass was there both sides. Me and cannings camped the place for ages. Bu MC5 is so easy now its not funny. Get a chip and luckily never go back.

I wouldn't exactly call it a grind.
Capping in wow = grind
Capping in L2 = grind
Getting jedi = grind
Leveling multiple chars in EQ2 and having to do the same stupid first 19 lvls = grind
MC5 = walk in the park

Rabiator
24-04-05, 23:25
KK needs to put another MC5 like area 4 zones from NC city entrance.
If you mark out the best leveling or hunting areas on the map, and then see which is closer, the dome or nc, you'll come to realise that KK has the game seriously biased towards the dome.

Maybe add a genrep not too far from NC5 that is accessible to everyone?
Same for a few other, existing GRs that are not directly at an outpost, like CRP.

garyu69
24-04-05, 23:35

I wouldn't agree that they are neccesaary.

I can pull mine out and i still cap all my weapons, hell i can go around with only 2 chips in my head, no PA and still cap my weapons.

But maybe that's just me :)

Makes it so much easier too if i do die knowing that i'll most likely need no pokes so can GR straight back to keep fighting.

Toxen
24-04-05, 23:40
Ok few thoughts on this.
Complete MC5 chips coming out of there even with modified method of obtaining them NO NO NO! if anyone found a way to exploit this game world would be littered with MC5 chips and could instigate a situation where MC5 chips in game get turned into broken implants like the early days and no one wants that. At the moment its the most exploit proof as its a simple grinding to kill the commander and loot.

Yes admittedly it is as boring as heck, youd think perhaps it could be some kinda of mission based thing as MC5 is a major part of the storyline especially when you create a character, it always seemed a open ended bit of story to me.

But also reading through your suggestion it looks like they would require some serious coding and modification to the existing game engine.

So the question is do people want the devs to work on new content, or put anything new on hold for a while and let people just role play, have opwars and small events run by event GM's while they work out at least some of the most visible bugs in game? I know i'd prefer the latter at this point new content is kinda pointless if people are loosing faith in NC and leaving, and NC is also starting gettin bad reviews likely to disuade prospective players from getting into NC.

CMaster
24-04-05, 23:42
Meh, like I said my idea isnt going to be the best. I just think its a shitty, shitty way of getting items.

CMaster
25-04-05, 21:42
Oh, and another thing. I never get more than 3 runs in a row in! Why? Because every time I levae the command unit there is a 1 in 3 chacne I'll get a fucking slightly long synch, and have the black screen replaced by "you are dead. To select...." because the fucking guards fucking kill me before I have a chance to do anything. This happens all to fucking reguarly.