PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Hacking Tips

imper1um
22-04-05, 23:46
#1: Never give out your password to anyone except those you absolutely trust. Neocron personelle (GMs, KK Reps, etc) will NEVER ask you for your password. If you are asked for your password, say no, save your log and submit the log portion to KK.

#2: Buy an Apartment, change it's password to something OTHER than your account password. Put all your most valuable stuff in that apartment and NEVER log off in it, or even right outside the lift to it. Also, do not activate the GenRep inside it.

#3: NEVER EVER store stuff inside your Primary Apartment.

#4: NEVER put the Clan Apartment Password on your clan forums. If preferable, give it out only on TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, so you can verify who it is. It's also preferable to report a old player that asks for the Clan password. After all, if the person has been to the clan apartment for a while, why would he/she forget it?

#5: Make your password to ANYTHING unguessable. That includes Apartments, Accounts and Forum Passwords. Guessable passwords include: 123, 1234, 321, 4321, password, pass, word, account, and your own name.

#6: When making a character, never use the same name of your character as your account, or anything close to thereof.

#7: Declick 'Save Login on My Machine' if someone else has access to your house.

TRC out

zii
23-04-05, 00:02
All sound advise, espcially points 2 and 3.

Jesterthegreat
23-04-05, 00:05

omfg! it was you that h4x0red my shizzle!

:D

BradSTL
23-04-05, 01:46
#8 More people have access to your house than you think. An awful lot of hacking involves using keyloggers or backdoors installed by various spyware, viruses, or trojans to read your hard disk. If your PC is compromised, and you have save password turned on, then your account is compromised.

(This happened to one of the most popular people in Anarchy Online. Hackers targeted him specifically because they were jealous of his fame. Eventually they found a way into his machine, copied out his prefs files, and used them to clean his characters completely out. Funcom wouldn't raise a hand to help. Indeed, they threatened to perma-ban him; "allowing other people to use your password" is a bannable offense, and as far as they were concerned, by not virus-proofing his PC it was his fault people haxxored his account. They relented on that, and there ended up being a community even to raise the money and collect the items to reimburse him in-game for his loss. He got off easy.)

Toxen
23-04-05, 03:25
K theres a bit of contradicting advice there "Don't use save password fuction" but also "Keylogger likely to reveal you password" by following the first you typing your password more thus increasing the likely hood of the second occurring. and saved password isn't stored in the open on the hard drive

Drake6k
23-04-05, 04:00
A friend of mine had the password "neocron" once which I figured out. Was pretty funny actually, I didn't take anything though... And he changed it :p

I keep stuff in my gogo/main-ap often and have never been hacked. Been playing for over two and a half years. It's not hard to have a very weird password no one can guess. Seriously. Every good friend I have ever had in NC has let me play on their accounts yet no one has ever had access to Jack Drake. I'm not a dick, I just still have my items!

Bugs Gunny
23-04-05, 08:04
Never make your forum account name and game account name and their passwords the same.

Cubico
23-04-05, 08:55
In a forum there was a guy which name was "Mulder". One day he made some stupid posts in the forum. Some people thought his account was hacked. He replied thats true and that the password is as stupid as the original user.

I tried to login as "Mulder" using "Scully" as password, and it worked.

Zeninja
23-04-05, 10:09
#1: Never give out your password to anyone except those you absolutely trust. Neocron personelle (GMs, KK Reps, etc) will NEVER ask you for your password. If you are asked for your password, say no, save your log and submit the log portion to KK.
Plus, write the ingame date and time (xx/xx/27xx + time) and IRL time, and send it to Reakktor which is able to access any conversation with their own logs.

Concerning stuff and appartements, I use to store my whole chars appart-keys in the same appartement, hold by a stealth-powered char, so as to reactivate them quickly and get back all stuff in case another char is temporary unavailable (or unable to reach his appartements with -99 SL for example).

Three : never share any of your account with anyone, even your mother or your pet, cause you don't know anything about the world you're living in, fools.

Jesterthegreat
23-04-05, 10:49
meh... the only people who know my details are my RL friends... people i knew way before neocron.

Skusty
23-04-05, 12:11
My mate had a real mate he lived togetha and made stuff in nc togetha, they shared their acccounts :lol:

But people dont want to hack my account, they think im to nooby :lol:

And me and my dad only has acces and he is soon 60 and how can he use a comp? :D

zii
24-04-05, 03:22
My dad is 60 and he can use his laptop just fine. He can quite happily manually telnet on port 110 and read his email. If he can do this then he can definatly play NC.