PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Populations

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:06
Talking of populations i just did some rough estimating using city com stats from each server, Overall the Necron total population is in the region of 25'000 users the true figure may be slightly lower than this as the way I calculated assumes that no one from one server plays on another server, but also assumes on multislot servers every slot is full with a character, it also doesn't account for people that have more than one account.

So in the scheme of things
Mars single slot server has a population of 13953 users
Terra four slot server has a population of 5461 users
Mercury four slot server has a population of 3842 users
Pandore two slot server has a population of 1676 users

So when we look at the percentages for server populations (this is a more true figure as only one char can be logged in at a time per user). which average 20-25% at peak on mars and terra. it works out as

At 20% Mars has 2791 users online
At 20% Terra has 1092 users online

Which if I rember the average user loads for NC1 its pritty much 5 times large than they were back then but the Terra population figures are slightly sqewed by the fact we no long have a single slot international server which peaked at 100-150 users

And remember this is still prior to international release

Spermy
22-04-05, 14:11
You are wrong.

I don't know if you remember the incidents with huge op wars - 80+ ppl in zone tends to crash the zone... now with 40% cap on the servers thats 4000+ people more than enough to crash it.

20% is probably as far as we have figured out around 200ish people mate.

Original monk
22-04-05, 14:15
an innocent smile :)

Ultazha
22-04-05, 14:18
You are wrong.

/agree

- LOT of users has characters on different servers
- LOT of users has several accounts
- Citycom is quite bugged on the population stats
- Trial users are not deleted from those stats (not sure but seems me logical in a way)

Percents shown on the login screen are percents of 1.000 users. 20% means 200 people.

This has been said on the NC2 private beta forums (which disapear at the release).

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:21
edit:

Spermy
22-04-05, 14:23
Then what was the point of this thread?

Post some wrong info, have people tell you it's wrong and say "I know"

The amount of sennse from this thread is unreal dude... :rolleyes:

Siygess
22-04-05, 14:24
Unless I'm missing something here, the population %'s are actually in the 100s.. so 100% = 1000 people, and 25% = 250 people.. obviously there are plenty more accounts than there are players, but accounts don't really matter.. it's active accounts we like to see :)

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:25
/agree

- LOT of users has characters on different servers
- LOT of users has several accounts
- Citycom is quite bugged on the population stats
- Trial users are not deleted from those stats (not sure but seems me logical in a way)

Percents shown on the login screen are percents of 1.000 users. 20% means 200 people.

This has been said on the NC2 private beta forums (which disapear at the release).

I highlighted the fact that the way I worked it out didn't account for players playing on multiple servers and multiple accounts

PcP'
22-04-05, 14:25
1% = 10 people and thats not counting the fact that most people have chars on every server

Ultazha
22-04-05, 14:27
I highlighted the fact that the way I worked it out didn't account for players playing on multiple servers and multiple accounts

I saw it but how can you make a population discussion without real numbers ?

Spermy
22-04-05, 14:27
They can only play one at a time anyway...

Tox just edit the original statement to read a tenth of what you suggested, cos at the mo....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/sentientpeanut/bsflag.gif

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:28
/agree

Thay may be but seems a little weird unless every server caps out at 1000 users
otherwise you have 200% population figures which makes no logical sense

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:32
They can only play one at a time anyway...

Tox just edit the original statement to read a tenth of what you suggested, cos at the mo....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/sentientpeanut/bsflag.gif

Think i'll leave it as it is its prompting a nice discussion now,
As for only playing one account at a time WRONG!
you can quite easily play multiple accounts at the same time.
and by that given fact u could probably play two different chars on the same account but on different servers. though I've never heard of any testing the idea.

Siygess
22-04-05, 14:37
Thay may be but seems a little weird unless every server caps out at 1000 users otherwise you have 200% population figures which makes no logical sense

Crazy as it seems, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they do cap out at 1000 users..

naimex
22-04-05, 14:40
ok. I donīt know where you went wrong, but this is how it is...

100 % = 1000 users
10 % = 100 users
1 % = 10 users

you can play 4 chars at a time per account

1 online on each server per account.

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:43
I assumed the percentages were true percentages of how many users had at least 1 character on the server

Terkantia
22-04-05, 14:44
ok. I donīt know where you went wrong, but this is how it is...

100 % = 1000 users
10 % = 100 users
1 % = 10 users

you can play 4 chars at a time per account

1 online on each server per account.

This was my undestanding as well . . .

Maester Seymour
22-04-05, 14:45
Aye the % is like naimex has said,

Its by far an amazing population tbh. :lol:

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:48
Not disagreeing that your right, said it was estimating when I posted originally but still it amazes me that that overall it isn't expected for more than 4000 people to every be online across all four servers at the same time. Don't even wanna think about in terms of the monthly fee's

numb
22-04-05, 14:51
I can understand where you make that mistake. I mean it does kinda make sense having a percentage figure signifying the percentage of actual characters online.

But I've been online recently, and there is noway any more than about 200 people on terra at a time. The population seems even more sparse than in NC1 to me, with the same amount of people on, because of the way things are more divided now between DoY and NC.

I've only played a tiny bit, but the areas of NC i've visited have seemed a bit like a ghost town compared with before.

Toxen
22-04-05, 14:59
Well the simplist way to test any idea is find a big clan say get them all to log on at a certain time and see how much the server population jumps, FF is 200 members strong so by you reckoning the server population should jump by 20%
Any one from FF reading this.

As for the system bases on percentages of 1000, someone else posted that was posted on the beta forums (now lost to the digital zone of null), But gonna point out there are a couple of flaws with assumeing its still the same, a) there were only two servers. b) don't think they were the primary server machines that are now been used for the current NC2 servers so the server population limit may be higher now (if there is a limit in place). and c) There is no real way to prove it unless you organise something like as above as your never going to be able to DM everyone

Maester Seymour
22-04-05, 15:14
10% is 100 players, 100% is 1000.

The servers have been nominally rated for a thousand people each but that won't stop them taking more.

Quoted from this v old thread. (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=115092&page=2&pp=15)

Seven
22-04-05, 15:17
Talking of populations i just did some rough estimating using city com stats from each server, Overall the Necron total population is in the region of 25'000 users the true figure may be slightly lower than this as the way I calculated assumes that no one from one server plays on another server, but also assumes on multislot servers every slot is full with a character, it also doesn't account for people that have more than one account.

So in the scheme of things
Mars single slot server has a population of 13953 users
Terra four slot server has a population of 5461 users
Mercury four slot server has a population of 3842 users
Pandore two slot server has a population of 1676 users

So when we look at the percentages for server populations (this is a more true figure as only one char can be logged in at a time per user). which average 20-25% at peak on mars and terra. it works out as

At 20% Mars has 2791 users online
At 20% Terra has 1092 users online

Which if I rember the average user loads for NC1 its pritty much 5 times large than they were back then but the Terra population figures are slightly sqewed by the fact we no long have a single slot international server which peaked at 100-150 users

And remember this is still prior to international release

*chuckles* :lol:

Toxen
22-04-05, 15:23
Ok so that basicly confirms whats been said by you guys about the percentages still seem's a little strange to pick 1000 as the norm for ratings especially as it isn't a hardware or software limit. But still leaves a question about the actual total number of users. Anyone care to place any guesses

Phlith
22-04-05, 15:23
Thing is though guys, if you click Info > runner > search by faction. I saw more than 1500 players in the CA faction.. add up all the numbers from the factions and divide by 4.. see how many accounts are made O_o

Toxen
22-04-05, 15:32
Just been double checking the city com and it appears runners perfactions is dynamicly calculated so is probably a reasonable figure so only inactive accounts which characters are auto deleted after a period would slew the figures but this would obviously be balanced by the new incoming users

zii
22-04-05, 16:11
When there was 400 people playing on Saturn then every zone had someone in it. You were almost never alone.

Hellmag
24-04-05, 04:04
But wouldn't 400 on any NC1 server equal like at least 600-700 on a NC2 server when there's a lot more area to cover (so to speak). I, at least, almost always run into other runners here and there almost all the time (it seems so at least).

mulle
24-04-05, 09:00
The easiest way to see how many chars there are on a server is to get really low SL and then go citycom->statistics->runners->SL on Mars I'm the one with the lowest SL and I'm #881

eprodigy
24-04-05, 18:53
or couldnt you add up the number of people in all factions?

mars would definetly be lower as its 1 slot, these are chars not accounts.

Infinite
24-04-05, 20:36
Funniest thread I've read in a while

DOesnt faction population include NPCs?

The easiest way to see how many chars there are on a server is to get really low SL and then go citycom->statistics->runners->SL on Mars I'm the one with the lowest SL and I'm #881

Wouldn't having 0 cash be easier?

eprodigy
24-04-05, 21:15
Wouldn't having 0 cash be easier?
not nearly as much fun though :)

Infinite
24-04-05, 23:05
not nearly as much fun though :)

I'll give u that :P

ArgieD
25-04-05, 13:27
You are wrong. 20% is probably as far as we have figured out around 200ish people mate.

You killjoy :rolleyes:

At least we can all level up better without overcrowding:)

SovKhan
25-04-05, 18:54
i get pissed when i roll a nib and someone else is killing rats in my area. thankfully that only lasts like 10-20 min or so. unless you do some tl130 res missions before your roll them to get some nice XP.

yes the 130 not the 150 because the 130 take up less lube / time and give the same xp on turn in as the 150.

Spermy
25-04-05, 22:54
You killjoy :rolleyes:

At least we can all level up better without overcrowding:)

I'll give you a spoon, you know what to do with it. :rolleyes:

Agreed on the overcrowding - it's just finding a bastard PPU for those caves!