PDA

View Full Version : Should the HL do locational damage?

Terayon
21-04-05, 00:39
The holy lightning comes from the sky and hits people, so why is it my legs can be taken out with it with a single blast? We arnt discussing an apu's damage and lack of needing a proper lock, we are discussing that in conjuntion with doing locational damage.

The balance of apu's in general is not what this thread is about.

So, do you think the holy lightning specificly should do locational damage, and why? Would like to hear some other pov's.

aKe`cj
21-04-05, 01:20
I dont see a problem with the current situation when taking the issue to "realism" (is a monk throwing arround fireballs & loading up air with electricity realistic?) as you do... PSI-attacks are some sort of higher power/magic.. why shouldnt a monk be able to focus the area where pain is inflicted?

so the only reason to argue against the current set would be balancing and the common apu/ppu-whine :)

Terayon
21-04-05, 02:16
I dont see a problem with the current situation when taking the issue to "realism" (is a monk throwing arround fireballs & loading up air with electricity realistic?) as you do... PSI-attacks are some sort of higher power/magic.. why shouldnt a monk be able to focus the area where pain is inflicted?
Wow, great rp reason. I didnt look at it that way at all. Still, i would personaly rather it not do locational becouse it does so much damage as it is.

bulwerk
21-04-05, 04:48
hmm i see nuthin rong with destroying legs with apus :) if u have a problem i sugest try crouching or not gettin hit

Tostino
21-04-05, 05:08
You dont know how over powerd apus will be if they made HL non-locational damage.

jini
21-04-05, 06:18
The HL deals a lot of damage as it is, and comon practice is that apus come together with ppus... together with no reticle... maybe its not a bad idea. voted no

Tostino
21-04-05, 07:01
The HL deals a lot of damage as it is, and comon practice is that apus come together with ppus... together with no reticle... maybe its not a bad idea. voted no
You realise what non-locational damage does? It makes it so does the same damage no matter what the HP the person you are shooting has. think of it like a Healing Light that does 2x the damage.

Terayon
21-04-05, 07:13
You realise what non-locational damage does? It makes it so does the same damage no matter what the HP the person you are shooting has. think of it like a Healing Light that does 2x the damage.
Heh never realised that.

Im not sure what i would rather have then. Having my greatest advantage over tanks (speed) taken away so an apu can hit with every hit or have every hit do way more damage when they do hit. Supose for those who arnt quick would suffer much more then i would if what you say is true.

For some reason i doubt the damage would be double, though. I mean does non locational damage just mean you take full damage when your almost dead, or just do more damage for some lame reason? Does every hit do the same damage a locational weapon would do when shooting someone in the head, or torsoe?

Dribble Joy
21-04-05, 11:39
It's not entirely that simple. It also has to do with the amount of HP left in each area.

A normal locational weapon will take hp from the head/legs/chest untill that location's hp is emptied. If you continue to hit that location, it will start to remove hp from the other hitboxes, at the rate as if you were hitting those other loctions.
This combined with the problems of locational weapons at low hp values means that it takes longer to kill a target than with an equivalent non loactional weapon.
As a result, most locational weapons are actually quite overpowered.
Lupus has said that he wants to fix this

Jesterthegreat
21-04-05, 13:37
which is why a tank with a CS and a rav, who switches on a half dead target, is the sex ;)

:edit: on topic, for this to work damage would need to be adjusted. i dont see an issue with APU's (other than lack of LoS).

Comie
21-04-05, 14:15
i agree tho... apu spam shouldnt be locational, however i do see why this would be overpowered, however if it was made so that it always hit the chest area, i feel that this would solve both issues.

Obsidian X
21-04-05, 15:24
I don't know how I feel about this, therefore I voted crackers. (If crackers wasn't a "nonsense, abstain" kind of vote then forgive me)

On the one hand it would stop an APU breaking your legs and leaving you totally and utterly immobile and vulnerable.

On the other hand, this is the only defense an APU has against a melee tank; take it away and melee tanks would shred APUs in seconds. And of course theres the issue of insane damage becuase of the non-locational nature, just like the healing light.

zii
21-04-05, 23:18
Lightening comes down from the sky and runs through the body until the exit point (the Ground), which is floor and this means that it has to pass through the legs to get there. The whole body should get fried: Head torso and your little totsies.

However, if your head or chest got fried first then at least I could run when I got spammed :/

Jesterthegreat
21-04-05, 23:41
if we are talking "reality" why would a bunch of guys trapped in a cave learn to bring lightning down from a sky they had never seen?

Kozmos
22-04-05, 00:40
if we are talking "reality" why would a bunch of guys trapped in a cave learn to bring lightning down from a sky they had never seen?
:lol::lol:

Liebestoter
22-04-05, 15:39
... we tone the damage a tad, and make it so random_monk_4361613461 can't blow my legs out from under me in one shot? I like that idea.

SovKhan
22-04-05, 16:47
voted that there should be loc dmg. you cant use the fact that most people, not just apu's have a ppu all the time when fighting. look at the situation without ppu's, the apu can take your legs out with 1 shot, and you can take his out with one shot. buffed with ppu on you is different, becasue when everyones buffed with ppu buffs your legs arnt gone in 1 shot and most of the time are being healed to full health after you get shot by anythign anyway.

Maui
22-04-05, 20:58
actualy lighning goes up

:x

Terayon
23-04-05, 19:56
Oh ya... Well you would get an exit and an entry wound realy, but this is special monk lightning er somthing.