PDA

View Full Version : Lost a PPR chip to that d--ned inventory bug

BradSTL
20-04-05, 09:05
Sometimes when you die, there's an ugly, ugly bug with the automatic backpack retrieval. You end up with all of the right items, all right. But the server and the client don't agree as to what order they're in. So if you do anything that changes the contents of your inventory window between when this bug happens and when you die, you run a good chance of irretrievably losing an item. That includes: Moving anything to GoGuardian. Putting any item in your apartments' cabinets. Selling anything to a vendor. Throwing anything away. Poking an implant back in. Using a medical kit or any other drug, food, or booster. Trading anything to another player. Repairing any item. Constructing any item.Why? Because any one of those actions deletes something from your inventory list ... and the server deletes the wrong item.

After days of effort, I managed to finish the ProtoPharm epic for the first time today. (Man, I hate that thing - nothing like having to kill people from two separate factions, neither of which has to take their LE chip out to complete their epic so hardly anybody does. Worse, one of those is a faction that mostly attracts tradeskillers, so nobody ever leaves safe zones, and the other is the most screwed over and therefore second-tiniest faction on the server. Yeah, boy, finding those two people to kill may have been the least fun thing I've ever done in this game, no lie.)

Five minutes later, on my way to Tech Haven to get my brand-new first-ever ProtoPharm Resistor CPU implanted, I stopped by Archer & Wesson to sell an item, an old junkknife I wasn't going to be using any more. Archer and Wesson paid me roughly 1000 credits for the junkknife. But instead of removing the junkknife from my inventory, the server deleted my PPR chip.

I have submitted three GM requests and two emailed helpdesk requests. The first of each was deleted without even the kindness of a personal reply. At the moment, it stands at this: Carbonite tells me that it's possible for the email helpdesk to reset my character's epic status so that I can recomplete the mission. The helpdesk tells me it's not. (Which strikes me as really, really screwed up. Who knows better what's possible, one of the guys who writes the bloody software or somebody in tech support?) They are in absolute agreement that even though I've put in years of volunteer work on this game, and have an impeccable reputation for honesty and sportsmanship, and lost the second most valuable item in the game to a long-known bug, there is no circumstance under which they're going to replace the chip for me.

So I guess the moral of this story is this: until they implement item tracking and for this reason change the policy on item replacement (if they do), then if you die and there is anything valuable in your inventory, either because it was already there or because it popped out or dropped off, and yes this includes your implants and your armor and any rare parts or weapons you might have been carrying, then don't do anything until you have logged out, waited 30 seconds, and logged back on. That's what it takes to be 100% sure that the client and server agree on your character's inventory contents. Don't just log out and immediately hit "resume," because until your character has disappeared from the game world and been "rebuilt" at login, you can't count on it having been fixed. Nor is there any way, any way at all, to tell if this is one of the times that bug has affected you until it is too late.

Drake6k
20-04-05, 09:09
Hehehe one time I zoned into a tanks body. He had a 4 slot CS so I threw it on the ground. But the gun that my friend saw was my 5 slot lib :eek: so I picked it back up and relogged. You can never trust bugs.

Kuya
20-04-05, 09:18
ive lost my PPR once, it was in my inventory, and when i put it in the gogo, no problem, but when i wanted to get it out again, after bout 2 hours, it was gone, and KK couldnt do anything because they dont hade item tracking :(

Bugs Gunny
20-04-05, 09:28
I wonder how item tracking will solve this bug.....
Runner a "sells" his pp chip to runner b.
Runner a puts in a help ticket claiming he was selling a gun and lost his pp instead.
Item tracking shows a normal transaction.
Item tracking won't fix anything if this bug still exists.

@Drake... yes, you CAN trust me :-)

Darkener
20-04-05, 09:53
I wonder how item tracking will solve this bug.....
Runner a "sells" his pp chip to runner b.
Runner a puts in a help ticket claiming he was selling a gun and lost his pp instead.
Item tracking shows a normal transaction.
Item tracking won't fix anything if this bug still exists.

@Drake... yes, you CAN trust me :-)

Im sure it will be instrumental in fuck ups due to the gogo bug that transfers whole apartment keys, and losing some items ect. Like lastnight i kept losing stams fast didnt know what was going on relogged out of game completly and i had like 100 on me.

enigma_b17
20-04-05, 10:22
yar it sucks alrite, i know a friend of mine who threw all his 5 slot hn spells and a tl 150 tool in his gogo and lost em all :/

Selendor
20-04-05, 10:32
People leave the game over this bug. Despite the warning, most people will never log off for 30 secs each time they die.

I've had the bug a few times, and sold a tl150 tool once to it, but most of the time you know its happening when a poker can't poke in your implant. Relog and you find its a piece of armour. I've found that you don't need 30 secs log out for this though, just a regular logout.

Eckhart
20-04-05, 10:47
Over the course of the last week, when I've died I've had to relog a couple of times (but i havent been waiting 30 seconds before logging back in). When I get back in game, I find one piece of armour or an implant (one so far) has gone from my invent and been replaced by something useless such as a medipack or entrails.

Fortunatly neither my MoveOn or my PPR have been affected yet, just the cheaper easy to get implants or armour. I think from now on I will try relogging and waiting 30 seconds. I really dont fancy losing my rarer imps to this bug.

[TgR]KILLER
20-04-05, 10:53
Yea i know this bug happends.. a guy in FA lost a hell load of armor. but he was bugged anyway. lost symps with a load of factions relogging and all din't help him eighter :/

Spermy
20-04-05, 10:55
Hehehe one time I zoned into a tanks body. He had a 4 slot CS so I threw it on the ground. But the gun that my friend saw was my 5 slot lib :eek: .

You sir, are a dick. You deserved to LOSE that Libby. :o

BradSTL
20-04-05, 11:04
I wonder how item tracking will solve this bug.....That's why I said "if they do." It wouldn't surprise me in the very least if they still kept the no-replacements policy.

In this case, at least, item tracking would show that it was A&W that deleted my PPR, not me transfering it anywhere else. I'd have a rock-solid case. As it is, they'd have to trust me. I wish I were more surprised that they're not going to, even given my reputation and all I've done for them. But even though I'm not surprised, I find that I'm still pissed off. As I just complained (back) to Carbonite, dammit, I could get a replacement 5-slot Cursed Soul for less aggravation than I went through to get that PPR, and I didn't even get to keep it for 5 minutes. Hell, I could almost get a Synaptic Accelerator for the level of aggravation I went through to complete that mission. I think I have, in fact, seen more SA's offered for sale or trade than I have PPRs.

I'm not going to quit the game over this. But Selendor is right, this is the kind of crap that causes whole clans to quit MMPORGs, sometimes. Back when I was playing AO, one of the more popular players in the game, someone with an impeccable reputation and who'd run a ton of popular events, got his account hacked and everything stolen. Funcom stuck to their "no item replacement, no exceptions" rule. I personally knew of about 50 people who quit the game over just that, that week.

I understand that having rules be "no exceptions" saves a lot of headaches, because you don't have to put up with complaining and campaigning and so forth from people who got ruled against. But in anything involving human beings, whether human coders or human support officials or whatever, "no exceptions" is so obviously, patently unjust that it costs game companies far more in lost subscription income than it saves them in aggravation. At least, that's my opinion.

Preach
20-04-05, 11:09
You sir, are a dick. You deserved to LOSE that Libby. :o

I absolutely agree, how low can u be

Selendor
20-04-05, 11:38
Regarding no exceptions, the problem is that they have dug their hole and now they are sitting in it. If they were to give you a ppr back, I'd be happy, but all the other people who have lost items to bugs would raise one hell of a stink.

As you say, the implementation of item tracking would be the time for KK to change the policy, but whether they chose to use this feature for monitoring dupes and exploits rather than bug replacement I don't know. Either way, remind me to stay logged off for a week when they finally implement it, not to be pessimistic, but we've been burnt before :(

Bugs Gunny
20-04-05, 11:47
If they have serial number attached to items with item tracking, (i'm sure they allready implemented that part when they started NC2) you'll see a lot of itemduping people posting "leaving threads" soon :-)

I traded a herc for my xbow, but these days they're more commong than a tl92 pulselaser pistol. Which makes me wonder.

Comie
20-04-05, 12:28
brad did yu get an email reply from steven bast?

if so hes as usefull as a wet paper towel in a hurricane

CMaster
20-04-05, 13:22
I haven't actualy lost much importnat to this bug, yet. Its come damn close though. Trying to recycle some ammo. It won't. So I relog to find that I was actually trying to recycle my PA (and this was on my spy, who often throws stuff on the floor). My barter once wondered why they couldnt cast support boost on htmeselves - support boost had turned into a Cron 55 (with the cron 55 moving o the QB) and the supp booster being thrown away.
However, the worst I have had (and I still sting from this).
My old Rifle PE had a 3 slot Artifact Terminator (and this was despite none of the mods boosting its stats). I placed it in the same cabinet as a 1 free slot Enforcer pump gun (and a Pain Easer and some other guns). I had some LOMing to do, so I took the Enforcer out, modded it and started to aggy mission (boost symp and SL while LOMing, sounded good to me). Anyway, after I'm done LOMing, I drop the enforcer back into the cabinet and swap back to my RoG or some such gun. A while later, I come back to pick up my Terminator. Imagine my horror when the cabinet just contains a 1 Free Slot enforcer, a 2 Slot Pain Easer, a 1 slot Enforcer and a 3 slot Enhanced Gatlin rifle. My beloved Arti Termi had become a fucking unmodded Enforcer pumpgun....

Jesterthegreat
20-04-05, 13:28
my ds... early nc2 retail... gone...

i <3 this bug :rolleyes:

Dribble Joy
20-04-05, 13:34
I have NEVER lost an item through bugs like this so far.
Hope we get item track as soon as possible.

Gulinborsti
20-04-05, 13:45
I'd rate this bug as the most dreadfull and annoying in game, and it's there from the very beginning. If KK ever finds time or interest to fix any of the real old bugs, this should be number one on their list.

Kozmos
20-04-05, 14:43
I traded a herc for my xbow, but these days they're more commong than a tl92 pulselaser pistol. Which makes me wonder.
you know what, i was thinking that the other day, only been back like 2 weeks and the ammount of pistol spies has shot up and nearly all of them use a xbow, so I went to the jugger NPC and hes like hidden, asked on comms and its been blocked off for ages...

Bugs Gunny
20-04-05, 14:50
Patch 131:

-We have been having item tracking in use for a few months now, but the "official" release is in this patch.

-Several duping exploits fixed

-A large number of accounts has been banned due to exploiting.

-A large number of xbow pistols has been deleted from the database

-The xbow npc is now fixed.

netster
20-04-05, 15:37
Patch 132:
-m0re pr0n (all clubs opened)
-m0re pvp (international release is out!)
-m0re OOC (oh no! evil runner killed my nib!)
-m0re citys (irita uplink installed)
-m0re dark (its kinda now raining inside doy or all lights are off)
-m0re apps (apps "very slizzy" added, no gogu, no gr,1cabinet, shoebox-sized)
edit:
-m0re dust (TG will take revenge on nc)

eprodigy
21-04-05, 01:03
few weeks ago my apartment key (new never stored anything there) turned into someone elses apartment (my key worked). not sure exactly how to describe it, but suddenly the key became the key to someone elses apartment. I changed the pass and went up and there was cabs full of a few misc items, not much valuable things, but I took one thing so I could see if it would stay and yep I still have it as well as access to the apt through that key... lucky for the person they didnt have much of value in there...

Darkener
21-04-05, 02:51
what happens is you probably had it in gogo. If 2 people with key in gogo access at the same time. It dupes a key rare thing to happen but it those why i keep mine in appy

Original monk
21-04-05, 10:30
Patch 131:

-We have been having item tracking in use for a few months now, but the "official" release is in this patch.

-Several duping exploits fixed

-A large number of accounts has been banned due to exploiting.

-A large number of xbow pistols has been deleted from the database

-The xbow npc is now fixed.

lol, these notes cracked me up :)

i really really would like to see these in the official patchnotes .. all of em ...

zii
22-04-05, 23:12
I have NEVER lost an item through bugs like this so far.
Hope we get item track as soon as possible.

I think I lost a CS in nc1 with this bug. However, it was a perfect no slotter. I sold it to Yo's. He got a good deal.

nobby
23-04-05, 02:50
1 time
1 apu PA and 3 APU rare spells appeared in my GoGo along with psi implants i needed apart from MC5...
How happy i was! :p

Vae Victis
23-04-05, 04:04
hmm.. I had a bug once or twice in this game..
my gogu was empty (not a bug, just empty) but I had a 50 health bug (how odd!) so I relogged, everything was fine so I checked my gogu, to drop off some boosters since I was a bit overloaded... I open gogu and..
all kinds of chips, weapons, boosters, junk even, etc in it.
got me a nice little DS for mah hybrid I made a few mins after :D:D

BradSTL
23-04-05, 04:07
No, this isn't the 50/50 bug. I'm intimately familiar with that, and it's a different bug altogether. Once the PPR had already been deleted from my inventory by the Archer & Wesson vendor, no amount of logging out and logging back in was going to change that.

Vae Victis
23-04-05, 04:11
I said AFTER I relogged from the 50 health bug.. I didnt mean the 50 health bug.
you can hardly even call that a bug.. it's just.. EVERYTIME you log in.. it's part of the game

Nullvoid
23-04-05, 13:16
am I the only one who relogs quickly every single time I die *just in case*.

BradSTL
23-04-05, 14:21
Not any more.