PDA

View Full Version : NC1 private servers

Dribble Joy
19-04-05, 16:59
I've been asked to ask on behalf of another.

Is it ever going to be possible for private servers for NC1 to be allowed to be setup and run by non-KK people?

Original monk
19-04-05, 17:01
i doubt it

think they said before that they aint gonna let ya run one .. i dunno the 100% official answer or i dunno where they said it tough ..

Bugs Gunny
19-04-05, 17:02
Give me the url, my aimbot needs recalibration :D

Morganth
19-04-05, 17:06
I know I'd play it, along with a lot of other people. Would prefer if it had the test server LoMs and NPCs as it would make life easier, but a free NC is a fun NC. Especially as I bet there would be a lot of people on it. With the right hardware, I bet we could get more people on an NC1 private server than on Terra at peak :lol:

Give me the url, my aimbot needs recalibration :D

Wonder if Dave Insurgent is still floating about? :p

Netphreak
19-04-05, 22:02
It would be a cool idea but with Hostile Planet beta looming in the not so distant future would you be able to maintain the population?
Newer graphics, real FPS aiming, but with alot of NC similarities...

But hey I'd certainly play a NC1 private server.

athon
19-04-05, 23:14
If I were KK I'd be far more worried about Fallen Earth and Twilight War: After The Fall. Hostile Planet looks far from complete, will be limited by H2's network code (which is built for an FPS, not an MMO) and is advertising for a number of positions including concept artists.

Athon Solo

Dr Strange
19-04-05, 23:46
Allowed? Oh hell no.

But you could try to do what the BnetD people did, reverse engineer the server code and make your own. Of course that was for more simplistic 2D games (WC3, SC, D2 etc) and not an MMORPG. Although if memory serves me right there were, and still area, player made WoW servers. Illegal, yes. But their out there.

enigma_b17
19-04-05, 23:50
if kk allowed people to make their own nc servers, theyd go out of business in about 10 seconds.

Netphreak
20-04-05, 04:41
If I were KK I'd be far more worried about Fallen Earth and Twilight War: After The Fall. Hostile Planet looks far from complete, will be limited by H2's network code (which is built for an FPS, not an MMO) and is advertising for a number of positions including concept artists.

Athon Solo

There shouldn't be much problem using the Source engine for an RPG all they need to do is add their own beefed up database.
As for the MMO bit well I heard they are splitting the game up into sectors or zones like NC and each sector is on its own server.
Quote: "technically the source engine can support 255 players per server, I'll be limiting this to 64 "
Probably to minimise warping and lag etc...

And Twilight War is using the Source engine too...

eprodigy
20-04-05, 05:10
It would be a cool idea but with Hostile Planet beta looming in the not so distant future would you be able to maintain the population?
Newer graphics, real FPS aiming, but with alot of NC similarities...

But hey I'd certainly play a NC1 private server.

looks like it will be a standard FPS to me.. :o

Ryen
20-04-05, 05:39
I know there was an NC1 server emulator in the works a while ago, never got to offical release though (I will not link or say anymore, if you want to play this game support KK)

eprodigy
20-04-05, 05:46
yeah there was one that had basicly a one person server side emulator you could walk around and then some added some code and had zoning working.. was pretty neat but its dead now i think... pretender i think it was called...

athon
20-04-05, 08:18
There shouldn't be much problem using the Source engine for an RPG all they need to do is add their own beefed up database.
As for the MMO bit well I heard they are splitting the game up into sectors or zones like NC and each sector is on its own server.
Quote: "technically the source engine can support 255 players per server, I'll be limiting this to 64 "
Probably to minimise warping and lag etc...

And Twilight War is using the Source engine too...
Twilight War is using a modified source engine - they have a license which gives them the source code of the engine itself to play with.

And I'm sure technically games like UT2004 can have x hundred players per server - whether or not it's actually playable is a different matter. The other major difference between MMO's and FPS' is server clustering. If Zone X is on Server A and Zone Y is on Server B, and player 1 wants to move from X to Y, how do you reliably, quickly and efficiently move player 1 from server A to server B with the minimum of possible interruptions? And finally, tbh, square zones are so old hat. They just about pass it off in Neocron, but all the newer games (that I've seen) are using the much bettter (IMO, from a players (RP) point of view, not from a technical standpoint) continuous terrain system now.

Athon Solo

jernau
20-04-05, 20:12
You do realise that an MMO is 90% database right? :lol:

athon
20-04-05, 20:17
The other problem with people running privte servers of course would be that they'd be undoubtedly better than the official servers, so they'd lose even more subscribers.

It would provide a solution for us who are stuck in PEBCAK tho.

Athon Solo

jernau
20-04-05, 22:04
o.O

PEBCAK=user error.

What am I missing here?

athon
20-04-05, 22:06
o.O

PEBCAK=user error.

What am I missing here?
PEBCAK = Problem Exists Between C2P and KK

Athon Solo

jernau
20-04-05, 22:07
PEBCAK = Problem Exists Between C2P and KK

Athon Solo
LMAO :D

zii
20-04-05, 22:17
The other problem with people running privte servers of course would be that they'd be undoubtedly better than the official servers, so they'd lose even more subscribers.
Athon Solo
only if u have a maximum of 2 people playing at one time.

Netphreak
21-04-05, 04:34
You do realise that an MMO is 90% database right? :lol:

Yes... and your point is? Source Engine has Database functions in it, so does UT2K4 albeit limited. But as you pointed out MMO relies on a good database setup hense the reason i said they'd need the database beefed up.

naimex
21-04-05, 09:17
There was an illegal project running at a time known as "The pretender project", this project was closed by DaFire as it broke copyright law.

Besides that you have the problem that with private servers, you wont have chars on the server, since that would require every private server to collect information from one place..

that place will be your harddrive, and we all know how protected that is from cheats.

So I will actually dare say that no, you will NEVER be allowed to run a private server, legally.

jernau
21-04-05, 14:06
Yes... and your point is? Source Engine has Database functions in it, so does UT2K4 albeit limited. But as you pointed out MMO relies on a good database setup hense the reason i said they'd need the database beefed up.
My point is that for an MMO the graphics renderer is relatively trivial. The DB in Source simply isn't in the same league as the sort of thing you need for a MMORPG*. Picking a graphics engine will get you about as far into building an MMO as picking the music or writing the back-story.

* - then again neither is the one KK use for NC but that's another matter....

@Naimex - There are private servers out there for plenty of other MMORPGs (some legal, some not) and they cope fine. You just have to trust your characters to some random online dude rather than to a company whose terms of business clearly absolve them of any responsibility for that data.

Obsidian X
21-04-05, 15:29
There will be release of NC1, private or otherwise. Sorry.

N

From this (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=123619&page=1&pp=15) thread.

naimex
21-04-05, 15:50
@Naimex - There are private servers out there for plenty of other MMORPGs (some legal, some not) and they cope fine. You just have to trust your characters to some random online dude rather than to a company whose terms of business clearly absolve them of any responsibility for that data.

just to make sure, then you do know i was referring to neocron only... i have no idea how other companies policies are on this matter.

I just happened to know the reaKKtor policy on it, and it states a definite NO on private servers.

EDIT: and as i said, as it is in neocron, then your chars are stored online, and not offline, and therefore if you played on private servers then you would have to make new chars for each new server you went to, unless you had the chars offline, which could prove as a critical cheat threat.

Original monk
21-04-05, 15:50
obsidian, you forgot the no in the quote :)

naimex
21-04-05, 15:52
obsidian, you forgot the no in the quote :)

indeed the Monk is right

There will be no release of NC1, private or otherwise. Sorry.

jernau
21-04-05, 15:53
just to make sure, then you do know i was referring to neocron only... i have no idea how other companies policies are on this matter.

I just happened to know the reaKKtor policy on it, and it states a definite NO on private servers.
Absolutely. I was referring to the issue of character retention not licensing. As has been said many many times in the past KK aren't interested in licensing to 3rd parties (yet).

naimex
21-04-05, 15:55
Absolutely. I was referring to the issue of character retention not licensing. As has been said many many times in the past KK aren't interested in licensing to 3rd parties (yet).

good, i just got the impression you disagreed thats why i had to make sure, but it seems we agree :)

Toxen
21-04-05, 18:29
Though seriously liscencing would be good for KK i think now they've moved over to NC2 perhaps renting the NC1 server code to Small group that want to setup private servers would be a good source of extra income which could be plowed into NC2. Ofcourse restrictions would have to beplaced on the private servers to stop them from attempting to introduce new content similar to that found in NC2 or progressing the ingame storyline in the same direction as NC2

naimex
21-04-05, 19:11
Though seriously liscencing would be good for KK i think now they've moved over to NC2 perhaps renting the NC1 server code to Small group that want to setup private servers would be a good source of extra income which could be plowed into NC2. Ofcourse restrictions would have to beplaced on the private servers to stop them from attempting to introduce new content similar to that found in NC2 or progressing the ingame storyline in the same direction as NC2

the problem with the code is, that if its released.. there is a high probability that someone will find a way to tamper with it, to create a lot more cheats and loopholes.

and none of us want more cheaters ingame.

Hippieman
21-04-05, 23:47
If Neocron was to shutdown completely then I can see this happening. But as long as KK is making money they aren't going to allow this to happen. Well at least in countries where they have the choice to proscute people within the powers of the law.

Morganth
21-04-05, 23:57
the problem with the code is, that if its released.. there is a high probability that someone will find a way to tamper with it, to create a lot more cheats and loopholes.

and none of us want more cheaters ingame.

Yeah, I bet they cut and pasted the NC1 code straight into NC2 without reviewing it. I know for a fact that one cheat program worked completely in both NC1 and NC2, except for the instant reset_position.

The difference between someone working a program around the NC client to cheat or w/e is that it would be extremely difficult to detect server-side as the programmer would have made it so the servers own functions overlooked the modifications made by the cheat program.

It'd be like pointing a burglar at a bank, then handing them the keys to the safe.

Infinite
22-04-05, 00:11

It would provide a solution for us who are stuck in PEBCAK tho.

Athon Solo

I think he summed it up pretty perfectly.
A badly run nc1 server would seem better than NC2 is currently.

Kozmos
22-04-05, 01:49
Gotta say it but I just read that thread that Mr_Friendly made and thats the funniest shit ive read in a loooong time :lol: Christ, cdm you really stun me at times, computer engineer ? Your like 17 years old... :lol:

Anyway, I'd rather not see second rate NC servers basically due to A) The general state of the community that still plays neocron, it would get ripped apart if in the wrong hands and used for various purposes, fucking up the main NC servers, and B) Yes, NC2 people WOULD go back, and play NC1 if it was free, is that not completely negating the point in KK being a business and continuing with the game ?!

MkVenner
22-04-05, 05:34
looks like it will be a standard FPS to me.. :o
I know im a bit biased, but HP is far from a standard FPS

dark_reaper
22-04-05, 08:46
I wonder what will happen if NC2 shut down after a while, Will they give us the files then?? o_O

naimex
22-04-05, 09:51
I wonder what will happen if NC2 shut down after a while, Will they give us the files then?? o_O

not likely..

they put a lot of money into it.. you think they will just give it away?

in the absolutely most remote remoted situation, then I believe they would most likely want some of their work expenses covered if they are gonna get rid of it (selling it to someone else who would like to try their luck).

I canīt possibly even begin to imagine that they would ever think of just giving the code away.

Nidhogg
22-04-05, 11:23
I'm getting tired of all the trolling in this thread. Let me spell it out - NC1 is finished, over, gone. It won't be coming back. There won't be any free shards or handing it over to the community or anything. If you think NC1 was better than NC2 then you're deluding yourself and besides, you all look stoopid in rose-tinted spectacles.

N