PDA

View Full Version : Another thread on synch problems...

Obsidian X
16-04-05, 18:02
Is anyone else having them?

<rant>

Its beginning to royally piss me off, everytime I zone with my reveller I go into perma-synch. When I relog (have to end the client process), I awake to find myself arse-over-tit in the middle of the zone I was zoning to, not having a clue where the blue fuck my vehicle is (usually it vanishes into thin air, and can't be respawned till it automatically times out and returns to the ASG). This has ruined an attempted tech hunt 3 times now!!! :mad: :mad:

</rant>

Edit: Its just happened to me for the 4th time running. I'm now going to reboot my computer for the last time. If it does it again, I think I'm going to rip out my implants and throw them accross Plaza 1, along with my reveller key. :mad:

enigma_b17
16-04-05, 18:19
i get that aswell, i think most ppl do. what annoys me the most at the moment is the fact that i nearly always get the 50/50 bug when i log on and am either in sync or cant use my qb so need to relog a few dozen times. Lag is also a bit bad

[edit] just happened there, sync got kicked out of game, now my drone is gone, wonderful :/

Toilet-Duck
16-04-05, 18:25
I keep getting this too but all kk say is that its to do with our connections :rolleyes: .

Dr Strange
17-04-05, 08:23
The synchs are are a FUCKING BITCH.

Ok explain this one too me KK;

I synch into the game. I have normal health, items, cash and soulight. The screen still says "Synchronizing", thats fine. I can deal with it still taking a few seconds to synch me in so I can move and whatnot. But answer this; If a player has to wait for this "Synchronizing" message to stop so you can resume normal gameplay, how come mobs and other ingame things can still affect you even though you cannot affect them back at that time?

Case in point:

I FRE'd at the start of a Chaos Cave we had just cleared and were resetting.

I log back in.

There is 1 Chaos Minion in the starting room with me, and I'm at least 5 footsteps out of "right click" reach of the door.

I still have "Synchronizing" on my screen and cannot move, use an item, or anything.

And yet the Chaos Minion can hurt me and did almost kill me. If I had sept another 2 seconds with that "Synchronizing" message I would have been dead cause I could not defend myself.

It's fucking sad.

For naysayers;

I realize the servers are in a different country than me.

I realize my ping and/or packet loss really doesn't matter to the overall running of my connection to that server(s).

However, while I realize that and can understand it, it does not mean I accept it. I'm paying money to play, fine. I use my time ingame as much as possible to get my money's worth, fine. When I cannot use my time ingame such as having to relog 10 times to fix a "50/50" synch that is not a problem on my end, then it starts to get annoying.

Some say "well it's an issue with your ISP and the overseas backbone etc etc etc" or "call your ISP and ask something be done", let me say this: they won't.

My ISP is simply a side company built within my digital cable television company. Which means they mainly provide cable tv and decided to make a few extra bucks by providing broadband cable internet access. I learned this years ago when I played Diablo 1 and Starcraft and some of the Battlenet gateways back then needed more ports server side opened for better latency. My ISP's response? "it is our job to simply provide the connection, not to customize or stablize it for specilized needs such as a computer game online"

And more naysayers will say "well get a better ISP", not really an option;

AOL Highspeed Internet, do I even need to explain the "no" in this one?

Verizon DSL, we used their telephone service for a while and it was crap. Poor customer service, lousy connections and over charging on options that we never asked for. So no I won't be using their internet services.

Earthlink DSL, also owned as a subsidary of my cable company so its basically the same thing.

Bellsouth DSL, while their phone service is fine their internet is not. I used their dial up service way back in 1997/98 and they are non-internet tolerant company. Know all those worms that spread themselves through email? I got one way back in the day and someone whom recieved it from me (not even my fault at all) "reported" this and they have a no questions policy, no more service.

Which leaves my current ISP which is the best of the above bunch, or gaming talored ISPs such as Speakeasy DSL which is not avaible in my area.

While I enjoy NC2 I don't see myself moving to Germany or Europe to get a better ping or improve "synchs". And besides afaik people overseas have the same problems we do here in North America.

Nidhogg
17-04-05, 14:29
I keep getting this too but all kk say is that its to do with our connections :rolleyes: .
Not true. Many of the sync problems are to do with your game state being lost during the transfer to another world server (i.e. a zone located on a different machine) due to a problem on the target machine. When you see messages in the patch notes like "Fixed server-side crash bug" you see progress on this issue. Of course there are connection problems too but to say that we are washing our hands of all responsibility is not true.

N

Jesterthegreat
17-04-05, 14:36
to say that we are washing our hands of all responsibility is not true.

N

hmmm...

I have watched Terra the whole day and there are no problems, serverside.
It rather looks like single connection issues with the transatlantic internet backbone. We will keep an eye on that for further investigation.

Nidhogg
17-04-05, 14:49
Are you trying to wind me up? For one I said that there are still connection issues that cause syncs, and for two, that was in response to a thread about an increased level of problems which occurred in parallel with a backbone issue and was therefore relevant at that time.

The fact that Snow mentioned that he'd checked the servers after the reports had been made confirms that we see server problems as a possible cause for sync issues.

N

enigma_b17
17-04-05, 15:23
i agree with u dr strange...

if it were a case where u were syncing and you could attack mobs without them being able to fight back kk would be all over it like bacteria on a 2 month old scrum half's jax, it needs to be changed so that were invincible while in sync, and no im not bitching cause I die when im in sync, I dont mind dying aslong as its when i die fairly, but dieing bcause i cant fight back is just a tad annoying :P

Jesterthegreat
17-04-05, 15:48
i agree with u dr strange...

if it were a case where u were syncing and you could attack mobs without them being able to fight back kk would be all over it like bacteria on a 2 month old scrum half's jax, it needs to be changed so that were invincible while in sync, and no im not bitching cause I die when im in sync, I dont mind dying aslong as its when i die fairly, but dieing bcause i cant fight back is just a tad annoying :P

i dunno... i remember when MC5 was closed every few weeks for some exploit or another...

now they just say "dont use a drone safespot" and leave it open.

times change. seems nothing gets a quick fix now.

nobby
17-04-05, 19:54
Not true. Many of the sync problems are to do with your game state being lost during the transfer to another world server (i.e. a zone located on a different machine) due to a problem on the target machine. When you see messages in the patch notes like "Fixed server-side crash bug" you see progress on this issue. Of course there are connection problems too but to say that we are washing our hands of all responsibility is not true.

N

Nidhogg how about you have a little word with KK about us having to pay for this Beta...
comeon ! this is spoiling our fun too much!
cut the monthly fees by half or something until the bugs are fixed...
something please!

enigma_b17
17-04-05, 23:09
ok these need to be fixed, ive had it up to ere. Sitting in an op war droning away, sync for no reason....fine i relog come back, cant use quickbelt inventory or anything, relog 50/50 bug, relog black sync, relog dead.

[edit] and whats worse is ive now got about 20 emails from that pesky skill adviser, and i r no where near a cc :/

Obsidian X
18-04-05, 01:54
Why in Gods Name of the Seven Seas of Rye won't my fucking vehicle zone??? Is this just A_08 or am I afflicted by some kind of gypsy curse or what? I only want to drive my damn reveller from the Neocron ASG! :mad: :( :mad: :(

trigger hurt
18-04-05, 03:15
Bellsouth DSL, while their phone service is fine their internet is not. I used their dial up service way back in 1997/98 and they are non-internet tolerant company. Know all those worms that spread themselves through email? I got one way back in the day and someone whom recieved it from me (not even my fault at all) "reported" this and they have a no questions policy, no more service.

BellSouth is far from a Non-internet tollerant company. Given the fact that, for several years in a row, they won JD Power and Associate awards for Customer Satisfaction, I doubt they would get away with it.

Second, BellSouth does not have a "no questions" policy regarding worms and virii. They realize they happen and they do everything that they can, server side to reduce any viability of a worm or virus spreading. Still, some slip through. If your connection is terminated by BellSouth, they have a valid reason to do so. On the other hand, it takes nothing but a call to them to work through the issue and generally, they will reinstate service. It takes a major offense for BellSouth to terminate service and refuse to reinstate.

I drafted technical knowledgebase documentation for BellSouth for 3 years. I've seen and heard just about every reason for permanently terminating service and every excuse that would accompany them. Inadvertantly spreading a worm is not one of them.

As for the lag, a while back, I used to run two seperate machines behind my dsl/cable router and the cable modem. Whenever I would get lag spikes or start the side scrolling or huge packetloss, I would set up trace route on the other machine, just to watch traffic. Anytime I lost packets, it was always that hop between lvl3 stateside and the lvl3 in germany. Prior to that hop, everything would be perfectly fine.

trigger hurt
18-04-05, 03:17
ok these need to be fixed, ive had it up to ere. Sitting in an op war droning away, sync for no reason....fine i relog come back, cant use quickbelt inventory or anything, relog 50/50 bug, relog black sync, relog dead.

[edit] and whats worse is ive now got about 20 emails from that pesky skill adviser, and i r no where near a cc :/

too many people in zone and the servers probably can't handle it so it decides to randomly rid itself of a few of them. Really only way to handle that is to set up instancing, which would totally change the feel of Neocron for he worse.

MeWhiteWolf
18-04-05, 11:59
yeah cmon niddy is there a reason that u guys can find for the increase in this?
I know that this has always been around, and you know that all of us who are still here live with it, however this increase is becoming a serious problem.

perhaps there is a lil prog we should load b4 nc which logs a bit of our traffic/logs ip route's etc that someone there could make - give u some feedback of common problem routes...

dunno any news would help - other than the server side fix notes i mean.