PDA

View Full Version : More Unfair Tactics, Poor Sportsmanship, or Fair Game?

BradSTL
10-04-05, 00:47
This is the second of two polls that I've created because it is clear to me that one of the things that leads to the bitterest arguments, and the nastiest insults, and the longest running feuds in this game is that there are tactics that are perfectly legal, but that some percentage of the players think are unfair, dirty, or poor sportsmanship. So if somebody uses those tactics on them, they go ballistic, and fill all the in-game chat channels with invective and screaming and threats towards the awful, awful person who used these tactics against them.

So I compiled a list of 24 of the most-complained about non-exploit tactics. Check the boxes above and vote for them if (and only) if you not only think it's fair for you to use these tactics, but if you don't complain when other people use them against you.

As of when I put this part 2 of the poll up, only a few people have voted, but nobody has yet voted that all 12 of those tactics were dirty play or otherwise unfair. Let that be a warning to you: you are playing a game where there are people who have no twinge in their conscience if they do something like this to you. Heck, for all of the complaining, and as important as good sportsmanship is to me and as much as I prefer, even I think that some of these 24 tactics are perfectly fair.

(Don't complain if you see this message before the poll gets posted. It takes a while to edit a 13-question poll, and this software requires me to post the header message before I enter the poll questions.)

Edit: Dammit, it screwed up the edit on me. The 8th question is supposed to read "Using parashock or freezer weapons under any circumstances," but somehow the first word and a half of it got cut off.

Edit 2: Crap. And I worded the last question backwards. It was meant to be a "none of the above," not an "all of the above." That's going to throw off the results, but there's nothing to do about it now. Sorry.

Jesterthegreat
10-04-05, 00:50
wheres the poll...

Kuya
10-04-05, 00:50
then where is teh poll (again?)

damn you Junkie for beeing faster :lol:

CMaster
10-04-05, 00:53
Its there now

Kuya
10-04-05, 00:54
:eek: smart man :rolleyes:

E. Cryton
10-04-05, 00:57
hmm ... i'm not sure what's the point of this thread ...
do u want to pk some ppl and just make sure u dont use any poor lame tactics 0.o ?

BradSTL
10-04-05, 01:02
No, the real point of this is to spark a discussion that might (I did say "might") lead to a broader agreement as to what "fair" and "unfair" mean, what is or isn't good sportsmanship.

There are people in this game who are willing to do anything the software allows in order to win a fight, preferably at no risk to themselves. If they find out that a really, really high percentage of the players hate some of their tactics, they might rethink their positions.

There are also people who scream and cry and whine whenever certain tactics are used against them, even though those tactics exist for a perfectly good reason and there are perfectly good defenses against them available. I'm hoping that when they find out that the overwhelming majority of the players have no problem with the tactics they hate and hear the good reasons for it and hear about the defenses, they'll change their minds or at least stop screaming and crying so much in public.

Kuya
10-04-05, 01:02
<3 eric dunno it either tbh :lol:

Jesterthegreat
10-04-05, 01:03
doesnt matter who agrees to what.

some people will do whatever they need to win.

as said in another thread, some people fight for fun, some fight to win.

Nidhogg
10-04-05, 01:08
Edit: Dammit, it screwed up the edit on me. The 8th question is supposed to read "Using parashock or freezer weapons under any circumstances," but somehow the first word and a half of it got cut off.
Option fixed. BTW, trolling is against the rules so please don't do it. If you don't want to contribute to the thread properly then don't contribute to it at all.

N

E. Cryton
10-04-05, 01:19
some people fight for fun, some fight to win.

i have fun if i win. o_O

BradSTL
10-04-05, 01:21
Option fixed.Thanks, Nidhogg. I figured out how the edit screwed up; look at question 9. That's where the missing verbiage ended up. Could you fix that one for me, too? Thanks.

paolo escobar
10-04-05, 20:18
nice one, so if i think none of the options are fair how the fuck do i vote????

[ edited ]

ROZZER187
12-04-05, 14:02
its missing a vote to say if you think the options aren't fair.
all you can do really is answer to em been fair and not unfair.
your last question says ''if you think none of the above are poor sportsman ship or unfair''

you want one to say ''if you think all of the above are unfair''

as for trading, anyone who has that open in a fight deserves to die imo :p
i always close it when im fighting

Comie
12-04-05, 14:36
none of the options are fair... but i clicked on the bottom one by mistake

zii
13-04-05, 00:17
Opening trade with another runner so they freeze in place while your friend kills them
This isn't very nice, but you do have Alt-K....

The rest are not nice, but are valid ways into stealing stuff and killing other people.