PDA

View Full Version : Neocron Mod for UT2004?

Netphreak
06-04-05, 20:39
I was just looking through the lists of mods for UT2004 thinking of what to try next and it striked me how come there isn't a Neocron mod for UT2004?

I mean all the weapons and runspeed nerf while running with certain weapons could be quite easily recreated in UT2004.
It would be best to only use the damage stats of weapons and leave it at that as anymore stats taken from NC would probably take away from the fun. eg. In a duel both people have the same health and armor if they picked it up but CS is more powerful than a Judge but the Judge user can run quicky so its not purely about whos got the most powerful gun! But still fun and varied.
Hell we could even have high ploygon models from Neocron recreated (preferably from NC1 and NC2 as we do miss some of the old NC1 models).

So if there is any talented modding types out there why not have a crack at it.
So we can have some good old battles like we do in NeoFrag only no wear near as bugged and no buffs or drugs either.

I'm not sure if you could use apu spells as you would need to have a lock on like NC to do it but hey i guess its all possible.

Oh P.S for weapons you gotta use the rare weapons with swirlies attached.

athon
06-04-05, 20:57
Lets see, you've got copyright issues to contend with. Not to mention the fact that if you want to play Neocron, why not just play Neocron?

Athon Solo

Netphreak
06-04-05, 21:42
Lets see, you've got copyright issues to contend with. Not to mention the fact that if you want to play Neocron, why not just play Neocron?

Athon Solo

Theres always copyright issues with mods but unless your selling it these aren't usually a problem also you don't have to use the weapons proper names... eg. ROG could be simply Raygun Rifle

Why not just play NC cos it can get very boring and Neofrag is bugged to hell. This way you could use familiar weapons but be on pretty much balanced playing field.
Same health no drugs, buffs and PA just familiar weapons and your own skill.

Also for a botmatch you could just make a level called MC5 where you spawn and shot with 2 bursts from a base commander and then you die. Sound familiar.

Jesterthegreat
07-04-05, 00:50
whats the point in removing things like drugs, resists, health etc... these are some of the most important things.

a one on one duel is about skill setting the char up, as well as skill playing.

Ryen
07-04-05, 03:34
Neocron is pretty much generic cyberpunk world number 221. Why not just make your own cyberpunk world and call it Neo-Chronos? (Neo Chronos is greek for "New Time")

Netphreak
07-04-05, 04:51
whats the point in removing things like drugs, resists, health etc... these are some of the most important things.

a one on one duel is about skill setting the char up, as well as skill playing.

Wouldn't you like to be able to just have some fun without consiquences like fatal's broken armor, items, people getting ppu buffs, drugging etc...
I mean it would be like playing NC as a GM char without any armor on and no buffs either. So its purely up to you skill but your still using your good old favourite weapons.
Surely you must want a break from the typical NC (Terra) mentallity sometimes.

Dr Strange
07-04-05, 06:51
Theres always copyright issues with mods but unless your selling it these aren't usually a problem also you don't have to use the weapons proper names... eg. ROG could be simply Raygun Rifle

Three words, "Bid for Power". If you ever heard of this mod you know what I'm talking about. If not, BFP was a anime style (DBZ) mod for Quake 3. It was very well done and quite better than any official DBZ game out at the time. The makers never made 1 cent of money off of it and it was a simple free mod for Quake 3.

After a while the company that owns the American copy rights, sent them a cease order. There was also a Duke Nukem mod being made (for I think the HL2 engine) in the last few months, that also got shut down. Even if they altered names, they could get down to the nitty gritty and stop them based on likeness rigts (it may be a "Raygun Rifle" but we all know it'd be a copy of a ROG)

dark_reaper
07-04-05, 07:59
Three words, "Bid for Power". If you ever heard of this mod you know what I'm talking about. If not, BFP was a anime style (DBZ) mod for Quake 3. It was very well done and quite better than any official DBZ game out at the time. The makers never made 1 cent of money off of it and it was a simple free mod for Quake 3.

After a while the company that owns the American copy rights, sent them a cease order. There was also a Duke Nukem mod being made (for I think the HL2 engine) in the last few months, that also got shut down. Even if they altered names, they could get down to the nitty gritty and stop them based on likeness rigts (it may be a "Raygun Rifle" but we all know it'd be a copy of a ROG)

I have read that the Duke Nukem game is still being made, but due to the copywright stuff, that is one thing that is holding them up. But I have also read that they are going to make it on the Doom 3 engine. but it has been a month since I have read that article, and things do change.

Jesterthegreat
07-04-05, 08:13
well... no.

if i wanted NC combat i would play NC.

and NC combat minus setups, minus drugs, minus individuality... no thanks.

oh and Earth Special Forces is a fantastic DBZ mod for HL1. i dont particularly like DBZ... but that mod is great

athon
07-04-05, 09:13
I have read that the Duke Nukem game is still being made, but due to the copywright stuff, that is one thing that is holding them up. But I have also read that they are going to make it on the Doom 3 engine. but it has been a month since I have read that article, and things do change.
...Especially with regards to anything related to DNF. :lol:

Athon Solo

Archa Ic
07-04-05, 22:56
Just for info, check out hstile planet on google, might be what u are lloking for...

Jesterthegreat
08-04-05, 08:48
hostile planet isnt an NC mod...

influenced, yes... NC mod, no

Original monk
08-04-05, 09:16
it sure would be a great way to lure players to the real neocron :)

it aint gonna be easy tough, would be cool if the gfx forum was still open, some great info on there ! but it got closed cause some people would abuse it :(

good and fun idea's and projects got fucked due to a minority of people with bad intentions :/ not for the first time in neocron ..

i like the idea tough, its the combination of these idea's that bring neocron to a bigger audience :)

athon
08-04-05, 09:21

Not if you use your imagination and come up with your own characters, storyline, weapons, look and feel, etc. Copying an existing franchise is the bane of the games industry - and sequels and generally only mildly better (yes, there's some rare, if "big name", exceptions).

Look at SWG - all I see on their interviews is "we're still trying to get that star wars feel" - they chose to copy an existing universe and now they spend all that time trying to live up to the expectations of that universe. Meanwhile, games like Neocron, Anarchy Online and Ryzom can concentrate on furthering their storylines and developing themselves - they don't have to worry about checking up on what's happened (in SWG's case - an extreme one admittedly) in a thousand books, numerous other media and 6 (possibly 9) films 1 (possibly 4) has yet to be released.

The Matrix and Middle Earth Online will run into the same problems - IMO Middle Earth especially because it's been reproduced already through a thousand text and graphical MMO's and other games in various forms.

If you want a FPS with some of Neocron's elements of gameplay, sure borrow from Neocron for some elements of gameplay, make it cyberpunk in look and feel, but that doesn't mean you have to call it Neocron, copy the look and feel exactly, even down to the names and even weapon damages and other stats (which would be virtually impossible to get right anyway IMO).

Use your imagination!

Athon Solo

LaZyBoY
08-04-05, 11:53
Id try it

Dr Strange
08-04-05, 12:17
Not if you use your imagination and come up with your own characters, storyline, weapons, look and feel, etc. Copying an existing franchise is the bane of the games industry - and sequels and generally only mildly better (yes, there's some rare, if "big name", exceptions).

Look at SWG - all I see on their interviews is "we're still trying to get that star wars feel" - they chose to copy an existing universe and now they spend all that time trying to live up to the expectations of that universe. Meanwhile, games like Neocron, Anarchy Online and Ryzom can concentrate on furthering their storylines and developing themselves - they don't have to worry about checking up on what's happened (in SWG's case - an extreme one admittedly) in a thousand books, numerous other media and 6 (possibly 9) films 1 (possibly 4) has yet to be released.

The Matrix and Middle Earth Online will run into the same problems - IMO Middle Earth especially because it's been reproduced already through a thousand text and graphical MMO's and other games in various forms.

If you want a FPS with some of Neocron's elements of gameplay, sure borrow from Neocron for some elements of gameplay, make it cyberpunk in look and feel, but that doesn't mean you have to call it Neocron, copy the look and feel exactly, even down to the names and even weapon damages and other stats (which would be virtually impossible to get right anyway IMO).

Use your imagination!

Athon Solo

I'm guessing this reply will be edited but, from what I've compared and what friends have told me, NC is basically a direct copy of the old Shadowrun rpg/ccg. I never played the rpg but I've got a couple ccg cards laying around. Alot of the NC "specific" terms and things are there, from hacking to runners to "street samurais" and such. Even riggers and drones. Specific item names I'm not sure on but alot of the core things (like above mentioned classes and professions) are straight out of Shadowrun which was way back in the mid 90's long before NC1 was made. I dont wanna say they ripped it off but they did borrow quite a bit of stuff.

Jesterthegreat
08-04-05, 14:08
yeah and everything using the word "cyberspace" copied neuromancer!

omg sue them!

:rolleyes:

unreal
08-04-05, 14:23
heh, Cyclops Launchers look kind of like those things from the original DOOM game.

I'm guessing this reply will be edited but, from what I've compared and what friends have told me, NC is basically a direct copy of the old Shadowrun rpg/ccg. I never played the rpg but I've got a couple ccg cards laying around. Alot of the NC "specific" terms and things are there, from hacking to runners to "street samurais" and such. Even riggers and drones. Specific item names I'm not sure on but alot of the core things (like above mentioned classes and professions) are straight out of Shadowrun which was way back in the mid 90's long before NC1 was made. I dont wanna say they ripped it off but they did borrow quite a bit of stuff. Heh, not sure if any of you played this but there was a Sega Mega Drive (also known as the Sega Genesis in the USA) game called Flashback released around 1990... there's a hovercab system identical to the one in NC. I used to love Flashback too, brings back memories now, heh. Long live Conrad (main hero/character in Flashback who had his memory erased by aliens trying to take over Earth or some other planet, can't remember anymore) ;)

Dr Strange
08-04-05, 15:21
Yea Flashback was awesome. It had amazing graphics for its time, even for a simple 2D sidescrolling adventure game.

@ Jester, I'm not trying to be that far overboard. But you got to admit theres alot of specific terms they borrowed. I've never seen some of these terms for things prior to Shadowrun. Of course alot of things are borrowed from different stuff in just about everything, hell Windows is a stolen operating system (in terms of design not warez). Just saying theres alot of NC based solely off an older pen and paper rpg

Kozmos
08-04-05, 15:28
Shadowrun, neuromancer, gurps, hell any scifi rpg system always has the same kinda names etc, same influences, same imagery, its all part of what scifi is, the whole post apoc thing

Dr Strange
08-04-05, 15:31
theres the Neocron L.A.R.Ping? I'd pay good money to watch that shit :lol:

Tidus_Origin
08-04-05, 15:43
Yea Flashback was awesome. It had amazing graphics for its time, even for a simple 2D sidescrolling adventure game.

It even had FMVs if I remember right. They may have been really short and not as good as the FMVs today, but they were FMVs nontheless.

Dr Strange
08-04-05, 15:52
It even had FMVs if I remember right. They may have been really short and not as good as the FMVs today, but they were FMVs nontheless.

Yea. It was a great game, ahead of its time. I remember getting as far as the part where you get out of the Running Man type death game show place and then head into the alien homeworld. Man those little attack drone things were bitches to duck and roll past to kill them.

If you had an SNES, do you remember Out of This World? It was very similar and it's primitive FMV's were fucking AWESOME back then, we're talking some really stellar shit for the SNES's days, it pushed the console to its limits. Alot like Flashback but not as much backstory. It had more puzzel solving but it was just as good. I think Flashback had better graphics overall but comparing them FB had a much smaller landscape and character models so more detail whereas Out of this World had huge characters incomparison. The jail breakout senario and FMV were great, great stuff.

Tidus_Origin
21-04-05, 14:22
If you had an SNES, do you remember Out of This World? It was very similar and it's primitive FMV's were fucking AWESOME back then, we're talking some really stellar shit for the SNES's days, it pushed the console to its limits. Alot like Flashback but not as much backstory. It had more puzzel solving but it was just as good. I think Flashback had better graphics overall but comparing them FB had a much smaller landscape and character models so more detail whereas Out of this World had huge characters incomparison. The jail breakout senario and FMV were great, great stuff.

I had a SNES, but i never played Out Of This World...But then again, thats what emulators are for. Might try tracking it down later.. :D

Kuya
21-04-05, 14:23
bumbing old threats again ?? :o