PDA

View Full Version : Neocron in Linux (Cedega)

BaDDaSS
06-04-05, 03:07
If anyone would like to get Neocron working in Linux, all we have to do is vote here (http://www.transgaming.com/postlist.php?forum=1263).

The Transgaming team will then get Neocron working with their 'Cedega' product :)

We only need 7 more votes.

Thanks guys!

zii
06-04-05, 03:38
.love to, but you have to pay 5 euro per month to join. I'm going to read more about this website.

NC is the only thing that stops me from moving to Linux. For the timebeing I dual boot.

If anyone would like to get Neocron working in Linux, all we have to do is vote here (http://www.transgaming.com/postlist.php?forum=1263).

The Transgaming team will then get Neocron working with their 'Cedega' product :)

We only need 7 more votes.

Thanks guys!

Mechanicus
06-04-05, 05:36
didnt lexxuk get neocron to work in linux already?

Hippieman
06-04-05, 08:08
I believe he got it to work and boot to login screen. Except he wasn't able to type in the account and password.

Terayon
06-04-05, 08:20
Why run nc in linux? It will run like 1/2 as fast, expecialy if you are using ati.

I would vote if i oculd figure out how :P

trigger hurt
06-04-05, 09:29
Why run nc in linux? It will run like 1/2 as fast, expecialy if you are using ati.

I would vote if i oculd figure out how :P

That's odd, considering every game I've ever run on Linux from Quake to Anarchy Online has run better and faster on Linux than it does on Windows.

Terayon
06-04-05, 09:57
Well i was very interested in the FPS i would get using linux to run games so i did some research.

Link (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020531/windows_gaming-04.html#quake_iii_arena_windows_v_linux)
Link 2 (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020531/windows_gaming-06.html#max_payne_pcghs_final_scene_no_1_max_quality)
The directx emulator does a fine job of dx8 titles but falls short of anything more recent. It would be great if you could find anything that states otherwise, after all getting a game designed to run in windows to run faster in linux would be amazing. Quake is the only game i have ever seen linux come close to windows on, and thats still dx8.

trigger hurt
06-04-05, 10:12
Well i was very interested in the FPS i would get using linux to run games so i did some research.

Link (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020531/windows_gaming-04.html#quake_iii_arena_windows_v_linux)
Link 2 (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020531/windows_gaming-06.html#max_payne_pcghs_final_scene_no_1_max_quality)
The directx emulator does a fine job of dx8 titles but falls short of anything more recent. It would be great if you could find anything that states otherwise, after all getting a game designed to run in windows to run faster in linux would be amazing. Quake is the only game i have ever seen linux come close to windows on, and thats still dx8.

Can you find me a review from the recent past? Not one that says Max Payne is a:

a modern DirectX 8 game

Never bothered to play Max Payne in Linux, but being that it is a DX game, I would expect there to be some performance loss due to the difference between Glide/MesaGL(Quake) and DX(Max Payne). Of course, it's also been almost 4 years since Max Payne first came out, and it's been 3 years since that article was written. Why would you judge the performance of games on one platform based on an article that was written 3 years ago.

Bugs Gunny
06-04-05, 10:22
Because the neocron engine can still be compared to older games?

It's still not the videocard that does a lot for your fps in neocron. It's all about cpu power.

athon
06-04-05, 13:41

It's still not the videocard that does a lot for your fps in neocron. It's all about cpu power.
Damn shame - my GF6800 is going to wate - tho the Athlon XP 2000+ CPU isn't helping much I think - but that'll soon be fixed - AMD 64 here I come (as soon as my next pay check banks)

As for NC on Linux - I'd love to see it. NC is oone of the very few things I still boot to Windows for.

Even better would be a native client, but that's not going to happen unless they've got a hidden rewrite of the engine that uses wxWidgets and Gecko (for the launcher) and OpenGL, OpenAL and similarly uber cross platform technologies.

Athon Solo

BaDDaSS
06-04-05, 16:02
Come on guys, lets get some votes xD

It costs like $5 to be able to vote I beleive.
Just cancell the subscription afterwards :)

Subscribers also get to download the commercial version of Cedega(WineX) and Point to Play, which are great softwares.
So I recommend downloading them ;D

Note to developers: If you were to help the Transgaming a little, they would get your product working in Linux - which would increase your clientbase :)

trigger hurt
06-04-05, 19:07
Come on guys, lets get some votes xD

It costs like $5 to be able to vote I beleive.
Just cancell the subscription afterwards :)

Subscribers also get to download the commercial version of Cedega(WineX) and Point to Play, which are great softwares.
So I recommend downloading them ;D

Note to developers: If you were to help the Transgaming a little, they would get your product working in Linux - which would increase your clientbase :)

I use linux because it's free and the majority of software I use on it is free. I choose free cause I don't have money to throw around to people who want to charge me 5 fucking dollars to vote on something.

Terayon
06-04-05, 19:55
Well i was looking for other things. I once had a big list of games run on cedega and windows and compared fps but i cant find that atm. Linux was about half the fps in everything exept a few games like quake.

Does the option for directx9 actualy use lots of directx9? If it does it wont run well on linux in that mode. Maybe it will in directx7 but then you would get more fps in dx9 in windows anyways.

I'd still like to see it though. Seriously though how do i vote on there.

I choose free cause I don't have money to throw around to people who want to charge me 5 fucking dollars to vote on something.

Thats lame.

trigger hurt
07-04-05, 01:29
Well i was looking for other things. I once had a big list of games run on cedega and windows and compared fps but i cant find that atm. Linux was about half the fps in everything exept a few games like quake.

I'm not doubting the info. I'd just like it to be a little more up-to-date.

Does the option for directx9 actualy use lots of directx9? If it does it wont run well on linux in that mode. Maybe it will in directx7 but then you would get more fps in dx9 in windows anyways.

To be totally honest, Alot of the DX9 stuff is most likely what is causing the poor FPS and other problems associated with player models, etc. I've talked to people who played during the closed beta testing of NC2. They all say the same thing, that during the closed testing, everything was fine. No memory leaks. Lag wasn't near as bad. FPS Drop in heavily populated zones was tollerable, then came the open beta patch that royally screwed something up.

I'd still like to see it though. Seriously though how do i vote on there.

Thats lame.

When you are on a fixed budget for 2 months while looking for other gainful employment, let me know how cool it is to throw money away.

Terayon
07-04-05, 06:30
I mean its lame how you habve to pay 5$ to vote. My grammers shit incase you havent noticed :) .

When you are on a fixed budget for 2 months while looking for other gainful employment, let me know how cool it is to throw money away.
Trust me, i know what its like.

athon
07-04-05, 09:15
Errr. it's not $5 to vote. It's $5 per month to use the software. You just have to own the software to be able to vote.

Athon Solo

trigger hurt
07-04-05, 15:53
Errr. it's not $5 to vote. It's $5 per month to use the software. You just have to own the software to be able to vote.

Athon Solo

In other words.

It's $5.00 to vote.

trigger hurt
07-04-05, 15:54
I mean its lame how you habve to pay 5$ to vote. My grammers shit incase you havent noticed :) .

Trust me, i know what its like.

aha. sorry for the mistake.

Lexxuk
07-04-05, 16:20
I believe he got it to work and boot to login screen. Except he wasn't able to type in the account and password.

wasnt able to connect to the server, putting in user/password was fine. my theory on this is that because your booting directly from client.exe and not through the launcher, there is no IP address set up, no IP address means client had nothing to connect to so couldnt go any further.

that was NC1 though using Wine.

trigger hurt
07-04-05, 16:27
wasnt able to connect to the server, putting in user/password was fine. my theory on this is that because your booting directly from client.exe and not through the launcher, there is no IP address set up, no IP address means client had nothing to connect to so couldnt go any further.

Why couldn't you go into the config file in the neocron directory and set the ip address there?

NETBASEIP = "62.140.29.50:7000" I think that's it in neocron.ini

numb
07-04-05, 16:31

My launcher broke once on NC1, and I had no trouble connecting just using client.exe.

AlphaGremlin
08-04-05, 07:24
Actually, you just have to give client.exe the IP on the command line:

Ie: "E:\Neocron 2\Client.exe" 62.140.29.50
AlphaGremlin

FreeBassX
08-04-05, 16:15

Lexxuk, is right on about using the Client.exe, other than the main .exe. The problem, if I remember correctly, is due to a specific DLL needed for the frontend. The DLL is associated with some kind of Windows handling of "web-based" applications or something like that. (Sorry been awhile since my attempts) I've tried to replace the DLL from various Windows versions (9x - XP), and none of them work.

Myself along with many other previous NC players attempted for months to get NC to work under Linux through Cedega (Previously known as WineX). Its the same problem for a lot of people.. You can get in, but good luck on trying to see what anyone is saying or seeing the fonts for your huds. The problem lies within the fonts, and how Cedega handles them, and with many attempts to fix the problem (including replacing them, finding hacked versions, ect ect), its never been resolved.

Also the mouse is extremly sensitive and spuratic, and moving around turns into jumping around.

Wish you the best of luck on trying to get the number of votes needed to get Transgaming to support NC, but the numbers aren't there compared to many other games. BUT! I shall give it my vote, since I'm entitled to one.

BaDDaSS
11-04-05, 19:40
I use linux because it's free and the majority of software I use on it is free. I choose free cause I don't have money to throw around to people who want to charge me 5 fucking dollars to vote on something.

It's called supporting something you beleive in.
No need for foul language tbh.

And fyi, i am "on a fixed budget for 2 months while looking for other gainful employment".
Yet $5 wouldn't even buy me a meal - that's how cheap it is.

You arn't paying to vote.
You are paying for a service.
Better pakcages i.e. Point2Play, and RPMs of Cedega.
Customer support, which includes the voting system and forums.

BUT! I shall give it my vote, since I'm entitled to one.

Thanks a lot! :)
Much appreciated.

trigger hurt
11-04-05, 23:06
It's called supporting something you beleive in.
No need for foul language tbh.

And fyi, i am "on a fixed budget for 2 months while looking for other gainful employment".
Yet $5 wouldn't even buy me a meal - that's how cheap it is.

You arn't paying to vote.
You are paying for a service.
Better pakcages i.e. Point2Play, and RPMs of Cedega.
Customer support, which includes the voting system and forums.

Thanks a lot! :)
Much appreciated.

I beleive in Linux. I've been supporting Linux since 1998 when I started goofing around on it. I've never had to pay a cent.

It's not Supporting something I beleive in. If I want to vote, I have to subscribe. If I want to subscribe, they want 5 bucks. I don't want to be charged 5 bucks just so I can vote.

FreeBassX
12-04-05, 16:19
I beleive in Linux. I've been supporting Linux since 1998 when I started goofing around on it. I've never had to pay a cent.

It's not Supporting something I beleive in. If I want to vote, I have to subscribe. If I want to subscribe, they want 5 bucks. I don't want to be charged 5 bucks just so I can vote.

Then don't vote, save your money, its as simple as that.. Badass was only asking for those of us, who have paid for the Cedega product to give their vote to NC2.

I understand your support for the OSS-Movement, as I support it more harshly then most people. Yes, yes.. I R t3h *NIX fanboi (since 96), and I'm the first to point out the short-comings of other OSes (But not here, cause its unwarranted nor needed). But, I hate to point out the fact, if your a gamer like myself.. the current hand-full of native games out there get boring or dated quickly. I know of this short-coming, and it is the suck.

That is why Cedega is around, to help keep gaming going on the Linux OS. Ya, it only supports a handful of games out there, but the MMORPG support is getting WAY better now.