PDA

View Full Version : how did u guys get to know neocron?

SnAkE_BE
04-04-05, 16:07
tbh i just saw the game in the store and i thought it was a pretty impressive cover. i read what was written on it saw it was an mmorpg. didn't really know what it was but i loved the concept on firt sight. and now im hooked :)

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 16:08
my m8 posted me a link to the site when it was in beta, been hooked since

Dribble Joy
04-04-05, 16:10
Penny-Arcade linked it.

netster
04-04-05, 16:12
eLcHi showed me :D

Preach
04-04-05, 16:14
Kid Kash and Zappanker are my relatives

Capt. Rik
my brother lagalot got me into it

SnAkE_BE
kinda wished i was here since beta
but im here for 1.5 years now

IceStorm
04-04-05, 16:19
Friends told me about it back in 2000/2001. I signed up for the closed beta and got in. :-)

Genty
04-04-05, 16:20
Was so long ago i don't actually remember, think i just stumbled upon the site.

Original monk
04-04-05, 16:22
my neighbour irl played the game since beta2 so i often jumped in to check up how it was going, the minute the game went open beta (Beta4) he gave me the cd's and tadaa

btw, first thing i ever saw of neocron was my neighbour on he's char hitting another guy with he's fists in plaza3 ... it looked IMMENSE :)

well, im still playing so it wasnt all that bad :D

MkVenner
04-04-05, 16:27
saw it in PC Game or zone, one of two, AGES ago, but couldnt afford it, when i finally could, bosh

Skusty
04-04-05, 16:31
Mý mate made me start Neocron, we did go buy in store sameday so we could lvl, explore and shit together! Its fun than start self and you know noone :angel:

Heavyporker
04-04-05, 16:38
Tripped over the Neocron.com site like 5 or 6 years ago. Read it, got interested in the backstory and Psionics (that stuck out in my mind.... *sigh* memories...) .Mind you, this was the time when the site said that PSI monks would be able to have perfect invisibility and be able to teleport themselves with the power of their minds.

Lost the bookmark.

Found the neocron.com site again during beta times, read it over again and read the backstory again. When I saw that it was coming to retail, I decided "What the heck? I'd like to try something."

Now it's like 3 or so years later. Incredible ride. I just can't believe it. Neocron has totally, and I mean, totally subsumed my life.

Conduit
04-04-05, 16:47
I used to admin some servers for Wireplay a long time ago & read about it on one of their forums.
What I read there intrigued me enough to make me download the beta 4 client & i've been lurking around ever since.

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 16:50
After playing america's army for a while i went looking for a game with more depth. I found it on mmorpg.com

msdong
04-04-05, 17:04
in a german mag there was a video of someone shooting aggies and mutant gunman in a TH Core. Later i sah some Fusion Balls and some rockets hit a monster. looked pretty cool.
went to the site, read the forum register for B3 and was an NC slave.

Gulinborsti
04-04-05, 17:10
Sounds familiar. I saw it first when Martin introduced Neocron (at beta 3 stage) on a crappy late night TV show about computer games (giga i guess).

Searched the web, registered and got my beta 3 CDs some weeks later...

Inchenzo
04-04-05, 17:21
I saw a preview in EDGE magazine, and tried the beta.. that's when i started

Xylaz
04-04-05, 18:03
found it among the free beta links of some mmorpg info site, dont remember exactly (mmorpg.com?).

Then, after the beta ended i stopped playing for awhile - came back few months later due to anthusiastic opinions of some friends who were playing all the time (well maybe not always enthusiastic but... uhm... like: "bah i grow bored with the constant op fights... but then i came back again and grow bored again... and came back again..." or another one: "come on join in, it'll be fun, i have no idea what to do but i just cant stop :p")

Eckhart
04-04-05, 18:06
My friends in the SSX told me about it :)

Tostino
04-04-05, 18:08
Jack Drake bugged me for about a year untill I finaly got it :lol:

Ozzon
04-04-05, 18:50
I found the neocron.com adress written on a wall in a wardrobe of Reversed clothing shop.

Phlith
04-04-05, 19:13
Mayze and Stig from sxr in nc1 got me into it after we've played diablo 2 for a while... NC > d2 :p

Seven
04-04-05, 19:15
Someone was talking about it on another forum.

Clive tombstone
04-04-05, 19:19
I went to highschool witht the guy who said he "created" the skin for the aggressor, but that coulda been a crock o crap, who knows. ANYWHO I found out about NC that way, got into early beta, and been hooked ever since

PEace out

Mighty Max
04-04-05, 19:28
eLcHi showed me

Hehe, for me it was elchi's roommate who showed me. Was back in the NC1Beta-Application day.

He made all ppl in the class apply for it. Just bad he didnt get accepted but Sweety and me were :p

Thats now nearly 4 years ago. And i'm still here

Jesterthegreat
04-04-05, 19:33
beta'd it in Inject 13's cafe.

i forget how i found it origionally though

Brammers
04-04-05, 19:49
Siygess and BlackJim (If that was his forum name around here) showed me Neocron in Beta 4. After I moved to Bristol (Thats in the UK not the US!) then they started playing retail, so I got a copy and joined them.

darknessfairy
04-04-05, 20:11
ok
simple really
my fiancé

TWOK
04-04-05, 20:22
Saw a short clip of it on a late night UK games show (pre beta afaik). Immediately impressed as it looked like multiplayer deus ex, forgot about it for a while until I saw people like Conduit saying how cool it was in wireplay forums :p

dark_reaper
04-04-05, 20:35
I stumbled on the Beta site, been hooked sence Beta 3

Mr Kot
04-04-05, 21:28
My m8 pestered and pestered me to try it after he bought it in a shop.

The theme looked interesting, but MMORPGS didn't look like my thing back then.

Six months later, i caved..... and the rest is history.

[D]est
04-04-05, 21:33
.... Beta 4 ....

remember first time I played, I was in apt and didnt know what to do :lol:

naimex
04-04-05, 21:36
my bro bought it off EBgames or summet, and came home with it one day.

and i liked it and started playing it.

COLD
04-04-05, 21:42
I was a fileplanet subscriber at the time and they were advertising for beta 4. I tried it , loved the concept, told my buddies Chimp and System about it, and like most others I've been hooked ever since

Transformer
04-04-05, 22:01
I first caught on when i saw my friend and his brother playing it after we got done with a band practice. those two people you might know as Mr.Peepers and Divide

eLcHi
04-04-05, 22:50
My roommate got me into it ;)

The same one that got Mighty Max hooked ...

Night Owl / Zordax / [$i$7aZ] A$$
Uranus / Saturn / Pluto

(not playing anymore tho ... damn WoW)

Maui
04-04-05, 23:14
www.betawatcher.com or something got me in to it @ beta 4 :x

Terayon
04-04-05, 23:17
Was looking for free games and stunbled upon http://www.mpogd.com/ and discovered the open beta. Shortly after i found neocron.

NeoDriver
04-04-05, 23:33
[Edited]

Scaramanga
04-04-05, 23:49
Saw add in PCzone, or quick preview article years ago. Got broadband when i moved into first house and looked for it on net.
Dled client and hated every minute of loving it.

.hack//sign
04-04-05, 23:56
my brother Shodough got me into it

SirRah
05-04-05, 00:19
QD got me into it.

And greets to Elchi :D

Bozz-Von Mel
05-04-05, 00:45
Was downloading mods for operation flashpoint on file planet. Saw an ad with a stripper. Ahhha, a game about things I like to go do. Waited for US release and picked up a copy.

ArgieD
05-04-05, 00:47
That game was the closest I could get since Bladerunner the movie (apart from the pc game itself). I downloaded it, had the 10-day trial and then loved it for good.

eprodigy
05-04-05, 01:17
was working with retrobooster on a project (which i think he actually left nc to do) and i remember him speaking fondly of the game.. came and actually played it few months later.

capt-o
05-04-05, 01:35
Fileplanet.

It was on their front page and it sounded like a fusion between Quake and Fallout. A perfect marrige in my mind. :)

It was also the first encounter i'd ever had with the open beta concept. I was a sucker for a full free game.

SnAkE_BE
05-04-05, 01:41
yeah actually first time i played it made me think a little bit of deus ex with the skills and imps and stuff

eprodigy
05-04-05, 01:55
ah yeah open beta, I played beta4 as well back when I was a mmorpg beta hopper :D (and there were so many then to play)

Vryce
05-04-05, 02:13
Saw it in PCGamer over 2 years ago; they made a big deal about Pepper Park, so.......... :D

Ryen
05-04-05, 02:20
Friend told me about it, I downloaded the demo and trailer, and was instantly hooked. This was in augest 2002 :lol: .

Redburn
05-04-05, 02:30
Saw a sneak peek about it before closed beta even started and was hooked, got in open beta and been playing ever since.

The Ottoman
05-04-05, 02:40
After playing several FPS-shooters I wanted more. Most games had limited playerpopulations for multiplayer and were limited in time. I was dreaming of fighting a war involving thousands of players in a extended virtual world. While browsing and googeling the web Neocron was one of the games I found. I liked the concept. Next step was to find the game in a shop.
So on a cold day early february 2003 I went to the big city(I live in a dumphole) hoping to find Neocron. Joy o joy when I spotted the box. I raced back home, installed the game and never saw real daylight again.

Obsidian X
05-04-05, 08:25
A couple of mates at my workplace at the time (Dru Blood & j0rz) were always banging on about how great it was, round about the Beta 4 stage. It wasn't for about another 8 months they finally convinced me to play it though. Been hooked ever since.

Superbron
05-04-05, 08:32
A real life friend used to play Neocron way before I did, when he showed me the game I thought about giving it a try. At first I spent way too much time in the sewers in Viarosso levelling at cockroaches and spiders. First moment in the wastelands I will never forget: impressive! After all he (Chess) quit :( and I am still playing the game. :)

Cheers!

RogerRamjet
05-04-05, 11:52
I went to Sir Ramics house, and i watched as he was caving on MoSHeR. Someone stole his Tride Fusion cannon from his belt so him and Koth Dominus mowed them all down. Then he logged his PE and had a 5 minute battle in PP with Matt_UK24, and i asked him to lend me it, since i was giggling with excitement at the prospect of mowing people down. Installed it, patched it, logged onto saturn, took out my LE, and got ganked straight away.

Been hooked ever since :p

Tantta
05-04-05, 11:59
My brother (Finl. ingame nick duramic or something anyone remember?) told me to try neocron 2 open beta.
So i did and i love it.

So yeah im sort of "new" player around, never seen nc1 "good times" what i heard so much about it. ;)

Ultazha
05-04-05, 12:05
Game test in a French PC Magazine, 1 week later i saw the french CD box into a french video game store.

Why this bold text ? Cause if i wanted to it again now, it would be impossible :(

Tidus_Origin
05-04-05, 12:51
Saw a short clip of it on a late night UK games show (pre beta afaik). Immediately impressed as it looked like multiplayer deus ex...

Wasn't the show called ThumbBandits? I first saw NC there too (think it was around mid-beta by then). Tried to sign up for the beta, didn't get in. Got it for my birthday in Feb. 2003. Made a spy called Origin on Uranus - the rest is history. :)

Hot-Salsa
05-04-05, 13:03
i was searching for beta games..mmorgs...and i was told by someone that i should try neocron...so i i thought why not...applied for closed beta...i got in....and boom i got hooked :angel: there isnt a mmorg i have stayed longer in then neocron...even due to the bugs and shit...for some reason it keeps pulling me back....

TWOK
05-04-05, 19:29
Wasn't the show called ThumbBandits? I first saw NC there too (think it was around mid-beta by then). Tried to sign up for the beta, didn't get in. Got it for my birthday in Feb. 2003. Made a spy called Origin on Uranus - the rest is history. :)

Nah it was a dire show called Cybernet, way before ThumbBandits.

Misses thumbbandits...great show :)

*Dazz*
05-04-05, 19:40
Friend from another game told me to get into beta 4...so I did :p

Drake6k
05-04-05, 21:35
I was in beta 4. I remember seeing pictures of pepper park in a magazine (pc gamer I think). Was looking for beta mmos when I found Neocron.

I was a melee PE in beta. Only got to rank /24. I got sync every 10 seconds in beta though :p. When retail came out I was a melee, hacker, pistol, repair PE. Awesome huh? That was Jack Drake... A couple million LoMs later and I'm STILL Jack Drake the pistol PE hacker. :D

zii
05-04-05, 21:41
Was playing a clickfest game called Mankind and one of its players told me about Neocron around the start of the first betas. I applied several times for beta, but was never accepted for any of the phases so joined at the start of retail.

I went onto Help because I didn't know my apartment password and was scared to leave in case I never found out how to get back in.

Terayon
05-04-05, 21:46
Ha chars in beta huh. My main was vector. A pistol pe who used storebought pistols to dex 45 in the outzone. Then i made a droner spy who also used melee. (or maybe that was early retail) 250 agil/ath cannot compare to how fast i was :). Seriously i practicly arped everywhere becouse (ya ive said this before) remote control affected runspeed. Ah man i actualy took out a few apu's with my droner using melee :lol:. So many people would ask me what my athletics was at sector 4 (when there where usaly 5-10 people there at any time) and i would be like "72 :D" n think its friggin high.

So basically my droner melee spy kicked ass.

Also anyone remember the clan cobra special ops?

Drake6k
05-04-05, 21:52
my droner melee spy kicked ass.

Ok a little off topic but here I go...

If only I could go back to those days... I could make a GODLY hybrid... seriously I think one well made hybrid at retail start could take on 20 capped people. We have the knowledge now :p No one knew shit back then. Or make a Liberator PE when the libby was best gun in game. Everyone made lib tanks back then because PE resists had not been figured out yet.

Skusty
06-04-05, 15:59
what about GMs? Cmon dont be shy :D

numb
06-04-05, 17:01
I was playing AO quite heavily during 2002. I'd made a few friends on there and we'd meet every night to hunt together. It was a lot of fun and we worked really well as a team (bearing in mind, hunting in AO was a lot more risky back then than team missions). Then a couple of our group decided to leave, and gradually my enjoyment of the game vanished.

I'd read a bit about neocron in the summer, while I was still playing AO. I did contemplate downloading the beta, but I really didnt trust downloading such a large file from fileplanet (considering the size of the download queue).

So after a quitting AO, I bought neocron when it was released in the UK. And it was great back then. Although I crashed loads more, I think it was more enjoyable, being new, I also loved the fact you could get totally screwed over, drop your best gun etc, all in a matter of seconds if a pker was nearby. It's not so good now, back then a lot of people who killed you would return your gun because they could pick it up instantly (unlike with belts, which could be hacked by anyone and even if you do hack, after risking your life hacking, you want to get the reward).

The action was a lot better back then, no-one really had decent resist setups, and it was very rare to find an actual pure ppu, most were hybrids.

Jesterthegreat
06-04-05, 19:32
what about GMs? Cmon dont be shy :D

i imagine most GM's have personal forum accounts...

if a GM said "x person showed me the game" people might know who he / she is

Dribble Joy
06-04-05, 19:38
i imagine most GM's have personal forum accounts...

if a GM said "x person showed me the game" people might know who he / she is
We allready know who Farril is :p.

Jesterthegreat
06-04-05, 19:42
We allready know who Farril is :p.

i have a good idea who a few are... but they are my ideas that stay in my head :p

:edit: i would be too easy to spot as a mod / GM

look for the posts full of "..." and its likely to be me :p

garyu69
07-04-05, 15:08
Back when i was working on a Games website we recieved through the post a copy of Neocron. It just so happened that i had only recently at the time had Broadband installed and was keen to try some online games.

Neocron was snapped up by me to do a review for and i started to follow it closely. (http://web.archive.org/web/20021229084027/www.madgamers.net/news/view.php?id=1230) My news article nicely titled "Do you need a new life?" well since then it has kinda taken my life anyway :p

Genty
07-04-05, 15:40
Back in the early days I ran a Neocron fansite, cookie to the person who can name it.