PDA

View Full Version : Death from above!

CMaster
04-04-05, 03:28
Earlier today, a group of Neocron's elite pilots and crews gathered together at Desert Racetrack to launch as assault on the forces opposing Cityadmin. The assault squadron, seen preparing here consisted of 2 Assault Gliders maing the "fighter" part of the unit, and 2 Advanced Gliders forming the bomber contigent. After a variety of technical problems (doubtless caused by the units infreior DoY based designs) the group eventually managed to get airborne.
http://www.optima-systems.net/linxsoft/naau1.jpg

http://www.optima-systems.net/linxsoft/naau2.jpg
The unit en-route to the fabeled TG-held location of CRP.

http://www.optima-systems.net/linxsoft/naau3.jpg
The unit again flying towards their targets.

A large number of bombs were dropped and rockets fired at anti-city runners, along with the various "firemobs" that inahbited the area. The TG however did launch their own fighter to dogfight with the pro-city bomber's cover.

And now OOC:
This could have been fun. As it was, glider based bugs and huge number of fatals caused us to spend over an hour preparing (although a run in with what turned out to be an allied rhino caused some delays). Once we traveled, synch errors, inablity to reeneter gliders (after healing/buffing) and just a stupidly high fatal frequency casued us yet more troubles, and made the raid largely ineffective. To top that off, while the enemy runners had trouble hitting us, and certainly they tended to hit either the glider or maybe a gunner, the firemobs (notably grim goddamn chasers) just reached up into the sky and set the occupants (surrounded by wings and mechanisms) on fire, ignoring the vehcile itself. It was still enjoyable, but ended up more hastle than fun in reality.

Heavyporker
04-04-05, 03:46
Oh, no fucking kidding. Jeez, the ordeal was unreal. I was involved in the raid as a fighter pilot. Summary - lost 1 assault glider, got synched out of 1 assault glider, got stuck in a massive and steep hole with combat hoverbike.

Overall, there was some fun moments. Dive-bombing the OP, trading hits with the runners that scrambled up hills to snipe the gliders, and of course, dog-fighting the two DoYite assault gliders (you missed one, cmaster). I must bow my head to the other fighter pilot. He was quite skilled, managing to drive off the first one. I do not know the fate of the second DoYite fighter pilot.

#1 - almost impossible to see another glider more than 50m away in the air - very difficult to dogfight.

#2 - Reticle on assault gliders takes FUCKINGOREVER to close and lock on a target, making it very difficult to engage a runner or opposing glider.

#3 - Fuckingolssally expensive to manually repair a glider - it takes like 15k to 20k to repair an assault glider with nanites that a vhc depot could repair for 5k. This reminds me of the issue with blue drugs - takes 11 armorparts 10s total value about 66k+) to clone about 8 pills of a blue drug, while a researcher/constructor can make the same amount of pills for only about 1.5k each at most, probably less.

#4 - Zoning is a bitch in gliders. Fataling is a bitch in gliders. Popups are bitches while flying a glider.

#5 - Did I mention it's almost impossible to aim well in an assault glider?

#6 - fix that fucking hole north of Cycrow outpost.

#7 - Aerial rockets need to stop blowing up in the pilot's face if pointed even just slightly downwards. Making the assault glider pure air-to-air just does not compute.

To be honest, with all the gliders' faults, they should be all lowered 10 INT levels, and the VHC reqs accordingly. Keep the HC/TC reqs, these seem more than reasonable, plus if the glider rockets get any weaker, they're gonna get useless (almost like assault bike in PvP). Don't get me started on the difficulty of even getting up in the air with an advanced assault glider, either by a PE or Spy.

Shit. I've gotten started. WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ENGINEER CREATES A VEHICLE THAT REQUIRES ITS DRIVER TO BE CONTINUALLY INTOXICATED?!?! SHEER MORONICNESS!

Oh, and the bomb mounts on the gliders need more of a horiztional aiming ability... sorta like a hoverbomber.. to lob a bomb on target that isn't directly under the glider's flight path. Merely dropping a bomb straight down on a target DOES NOT require a secondary gunner on that glider. Giving more of an aimiing capability to the bomb mount WOULD give a good reason for a separate gunner on that glider.

Clive tombstone
04-04-05, 03:59
sweet, im in the pic, Yah I have to aggree, the fatals and crashes were horrible, and not only that, but the other bugs we ran into REALLY hurt us.

Dont get me wrong I had a ton of fun doin this, Its just to bad that Gliders as they stand have more bugs than a rotting corpse as it stands hehe.

Edit-Im with the lowering 10 levels thing makes a whole lotta sense.

Morganth
04-04-05, 05:28
I always find it funny whenever an aerial attack is made. Been at many op fights where I have seen a DoY bomber fly overhead, thinking to myself "shit we gonna get nailed", then I run ahead and see two corpses and a load of rubble all over the floor. They crashed :lol:

Dr Strange
04-04-05, 06:55
Didn't see this but I did see 2 gliders dogfighting the other day at CRP. It was awesome. The above reasons did contribute to a rather slow fight but it was cool to see someone almost do a full loop only to come off the loop into the face of a grim chaser :lol:

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 09:06
The only usefull combat vehicles are combat hover, assault trike (for killing rhinos and revelers), rhino and doy bombers.

All the rest is either too weak or just plainly wya too bugged to acualy use without going mad.

Selendor
04-04-05, 12:32
Had hoped to get a statement from Ask the Devs last week, but really wish they would at least reduce price and reqs on these things until the coder(s?) can actually sort them out. They are one of the coolest things in Neocron, and would be great at op wars, I hope they get the fix they deserve.

SnAkE_BE
04-04-05, 13:43
is there a way to clear everything from ur screen like compas, crasshair, ect for taking a "clean" schreenshot?

Jesterthegreat
04-04-05, 13:46
alt + ctrl + f6

tap them at the same time

may take a few tries to get it

Spermy
04-04-05, 14:16
Not to be tried while airborne mind you...

It'll all end in tears...

:D

CMaster
04-04-05, 14:28
I managed it here, for some of the screenies, I think. But yeah, doing much else save flying isnt a really great idea.

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 14:55
you missed one out porker, remove collision damage on the gliders too lol,
they spawn at the depot and hit the side of it only to either blow up need repping.

gliders really need a fix. had no troubles with my hover carrier yet except it spinning out of control the other day doing a loop and hitting a cliff.(thank fuck they have decent armour)

also forgot to mention the spider bot the shot at me for a full sector when i was about hundred feet above it

SnAkE_BE
04-04-05, 14:58
yeah yesterday i flew with my first glider.
when u fly over the ground to long ur condition starts to drop. when u fly to high it gets damaged.

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 15:02
yeah i had that problem too, so only flying vehicle i use is the hover carrier and bomber, which need a boost in speed imo, not alot or they would be worse than gliders, just a little boost so it doesn't take about 30mins to take a nib to mb from nc

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 15:06
Carriers and bombers fly faster than a rhino. If you know how to you can almost keep up with a reveler too.

Speed on them is fine.

SnAkE_BE
04-04-05, 15:06
oh yeah btw my first glider crached in a strange way.

i zoned and when i was in the other zone my glider was makeng small loops, just tumbling like crazy and crached .

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 15:09
Carriers and bombers fly faster than a rhino. If you know how to you can almost keep up with a reveler too.

Speed on them is fine.

i'll be sure to bomb you for that now bugs :lol:

the rhino seems faster to me than the carrier, alot faster.
btw hows the war???

Heavyporker
04-04-05, 16:10
That somersault thing happened to me when I made an aerial attack on Emmerson Factory against the FAs a while ago. Pissed me off like mad.

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 16:11
That somersault thing happened to me when I made an aerial attack on Emmerson Factory against the FAs a while ago. Pissed me off like mad.

happened to me in a carrier when i was taking inject 13 from battle dome to nc

Heavyporker
04-04-05, 16:27
carrier do somersaults? that sounds like a sight to behold.

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 16:54
The somerasult thing happens when you zone sometimes. Looks spectacular on bombers and carriers, and it ususaly completely breaks the legs of the passengers.

@Rozzer... The war is taking sume very unexpected turns, due to ... let's say some involvement from higher up.

CMaster
04-04-05, 17:33
I remember going out in the bomber once - every time we zoned every occupant took approx 150 damage.

ROZZER187
04-04-05, 17:50
I remember going out in the bomber once - every time we zoned every occupant took approx 150 damage.

that happened once or twice the other day, no clue where the dmg was coming from, the carrier was fine but i lost 100 health lol.

only had one fatal since ive been flying, the hover carrier just gently landed to the ground :D

btw...anyone had the grey screen bug yet??
i used to get it in nc1 but when your flying it kinda suxx asking your passengers to be your eyes.

@bugs, never give up :)

Skusty
04-04-05, 18:59
Finally i getto use my Sa7 ( Antiair rocketlauncher ) on tank...i wantantiair guns like machinehguns that only can shoot in the sky no where else on ground and you gun down Bomber pretty well and stuff but it breaks easy to...fly by a soliderz op and i shoot SAW missile from my reveler on you :lol:

Dr J Zoidberg
04-04-05, 22:59
Well... Cadeo and my self had a Dogfight. It was an interesting result. Neither Of Us could Hit eachother until i took a GIANT swoop it the ground, pulkled up and then hit the accellerator to go behind him. and then shot him in the back ^^. I dont thing he knew that i was behind him :P

Well... I am Forming the ElitE GliderS UnioN. Anyone who owns a glider, Come and Join. We will Fly. Do tricks and bomb the hell out of anything that moves. Pm me here. Or PM Morpheous. (he checks the forum more often than i do)

Z-

Bugs Gunny
05-04-05, 09:49
From what i've seen DR zoidberg is THE BEST fighter pilot in neocron.
I think he's one of the few that can fly spot on so bombers do their job easy, and his rocketglider is pvp capable... I still don't get where he finds the patience to overcome the bugs and bad synchs with them.

Fafhrd
05-04-05, 11:11

I had a good time chasing him around at crp yesterday. But even when i managed to get a lock on him or his glider my rockets weren't fast enough to actually hit him although they were tracking the glider quite nicely.

And that stupid bug with the rockets hitting myself - oh man that sucks.

In the end he just landed on top of a mountain; I did the same and started blasting him. He shot back, I got killed and he nuked my glider :-)

Maybe I'll do some more lomming tra->hc when I get a new set of gliders....

(I 'll get you)

Bugs Gunny
05-04-05, 11:19
Dr Zoidberg is the "red barron" of neocron :-)

Archy
05-04-05, 11:42
nice pictures cmaster!

Hot-Salsa
05-04-05, 13:11
I think he's one of the few that can fly spot on so bombers do their job easy, and his rocketglider is pvp capable... I still don't get where he finds the patience to overcome the bugs and bad synchs with them.

no zoidberg is a crazy pilot....he almost rammed into my tank as i left the ug at cycrow :p i saw the glider when i came up...damn close as well hehe..a few inch and he would had smacked right into my face :p

CMaster
05-04-05, 21:53
Just had a duel with "The Architect. Was good fun, although I discovered that the glider gets in the way of aiming - so I fiddled with my view to but my viewpoint in front of the glider. In the end I ended up getting a random synch. APparently I got my opponent there, but all I know is I had to relog.

Morpheous
05-04-05, 21:59
I gave up with gliders.

Even being in a clan that builds vehicles (Phoenix Ltd), it's fairly difficult to get a glider. And once you get one, it's impossible to get more than 5 zones without some sort of error....

Heavyporker
06-04-05, 01:59
Well, then, I suppose the secret is to fly less than five zones, Morpheous.

:p

CMaster
08-04-05, 16:23
Gonna aquire a TH app to be the glider union "HQ" where we can meet up and chatr and so on.

Dr Strange
08-04-05, 16:31
Gonna aquire a TH app to be the glider union "HQ" where we can meet up and chatr and so on.

a safe zone would be preferable, th sec 3 where the auctions are held is a nice place and safe. no offense but some people have itchy trigger fingers. i could use the con but id rather not repoke all my driving imps ;p

Clive tombstone
08-04-05, 16:39
Personally seeing all the use for gliders, and seeing how I blew mind up by just taking off (dont know why a brick wall should be invisable AND in the middle of no-where :rolleyes: ) Maybe there should be "runways" at every major city entrance, say TH DOY NC MB, and maybe old canyon.

Sides that, I what faction is that little clan gonna be Cmaster? It sounds interesting hehe