PDA

View Full Version : TH Genrep for new players.

SovKhan
01-04-05, 18:49
It’s been mentioned in a few threads recently.

I think it would be a great idea to give noobies a way to get the genrep without physically traveling there.

The first idea that popped into my head was make this a quest a new player can get. I have read that KK will be adding to the new player experience quests that take place when you first genrep into your apartment. Perhaps the last quest in the series could have them do something to obtain the genrep. also to make it easier on new players make this genrep like an apartment genrep as far as cost goes, thus costing 1k to genrep there however causing more SI.

Getting to TH as an experienced player is NO problem whatsoever. But I think that decentralizing tradeskilling on servers with not to many players is a bad idea.

Not going to put a poll up, I would just like to know what everyone thinks about this.

Dribble Joy
01-04-05, 19:02
When I first saw the thread title I thought you meant simply adding it to the GR list at the start, but a quest (MB, NC and DoY) could be good.

I'm of two minds about it though.... It would help people, but also it might dent driver's incomes and I generally support the fact that people should have to go to the GR to activate it.
The walk/drive to TH is something that we all do and probably should continue to do.

SovKhan
01-04-05, 19:07
i dont mind the walk to TH. but its nessessary for noobs who want decent weapons. another approach would be to make all weapons below a TL like 30 or such have much better stats, so they wouldnt really need to travel to TH until they were a bit lvled up. not to mention the cost (as in weapon parts needed to construct) of some of these weapons is horrible. the tl 36 gatlin pistol requires a WP8. not only does the noob need to find a researcher, constructer, but also someone who recycles.

but snowcrash said that the noobie quests would provide for them a good weapon to use. however how fast do you go through weapons while leveling to even 50 base in any main stat.

eprodigy
02-04-05, 02:00
i suggested this too in my other long idea list for new players reply, I think it should definetly be there at the start OR a mission as you say would be even better. ones that seem to be against it are the hardcore FA rpers ;), but face it TH is lost guys

Heavyporker
02-04-05, 02:19
No. Strongly, strongly disagree.

Geez. you wanna help noobs, roll a tradeskiller and stay in city of choice.

enigma_b17
02-04-05, 02:33
On one aspect I do agree but on another I dont

1- Fall damage is a bitch, and falling down even the smallest cliff on ur way to nc, as i found at recently will kill u quickly or break ur legs, which can be quite annoying. Not really a big problem but could be a turn off

2- one way to learn how the nc world works is to go explore and figure things out, giving people a way to get to techhaven by doing run might be sensible and needed but it may also take away from the experience.

Im torn between the 2 sides.

zii
02-04-05, 06:03
Part of the fun of this game is exploring the map. I was thrilled the first time I made it to TH, because as a noob, it is challenging. Leave it the way it is and they will still get there. If they can't then experienced players will genrep and sell their wares in plaza to noobs if the demand is there.

Even when I was a complete nib, I was able to get to TH without dying too often. Part of the learning curve.

And, while we're at it, remove those TH safezones, for god's sake!

Regards.

Comie
02-04-05, 14:29
i think falling damage needs to be reduced to a 10th of what it is now... lol its OVERPOWERED NERF TEH FALL DAMAGE :p *ahem* sorry couldnt resist, but i feel it needs to be toned down a fair bit.

i think that there needs to be a hover cab that takes yu near (like the taxi's in NC) or a scheduald flight or an underground train... or something that will take a little while but allow yu to see the zones but make it easier if yu've never been there (Nc -> TH or DoY -> TH) Gr's are the only return route =)

Nullvoid
02-04-05, 16:28
heh I didn't realise falling damage had been brought back so my poor noob died half a zone away from entering TH :rolleyes: oh the agony(i had only tagged the city exit GR).

CMaster
02-04-05, 17:29
Heh, walking to TH is a quest all of its own. I just wish they would remove the turret just east of TH south exit. For myself and many others, that is the natural route to take to TH. Being fired on and killed by a 100/100 turret (although I did get away - only to walk in the security centre entrance :D) isnt a fun noob experience.

zii
02-04-05, 20:01
Its a learning experience. At least as a noob you shouldn't drop something really valuable, and if you do, its another lesson. This game should challenging and the wastelands is not meant for new players.

enigma_b17
02-04-05, 20:08
well only prob i had was my n00b was a droner so if i didnt die from sliding down the cliffs, my legs broke at even the slightest bit of damage and I then had to rely on medkits, def needs to be reduced or implement some other way

Jesterthegreat
02-04-05, 20:09
a quest to do it is better than getting it by default.

Superbron
04-04-05, 08:55
Heh, walking to TH is a quest all of its own. I just wish they would remove the turret just east of TH south exit. For myself and many others, that is the natural route to take to TH. Being fired on and killed by a 100/100 turret (although I did get away - only to walk in the security centre entrance :D) isnt a fun noob experience.
OMG! Is that thing still there? :mad:

Dr Strange
04-04-05, 09:04
Hell, no.

Granted I've gotten rides from time to time to TH, the majority of the time I end up running (in other words a slow-ass-fucking-walk pace) there myself. Or if I'm lucky and have the cash as a noob character, venture warp and hope I get somehere close.

Yes, I realize thats a sad view point but hey, we're paying to play and as such I consider all time I spend in game = to that of money per time and having spent at least 2+ hours running god knows how many characters to TH...Others should be forced to do the same (unless they get a ride or VH close like the rest of us try to do).

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 09:21
Running a 0/2 to TH can be done in 1-3 attempts.
However i think new players should level up before they get there.

There is however a problem with pokers and tradeskillers all grouped in TH.
Then again i'm sure we'll have a big LE population doing tradeskilling at lower levels in the cities once int release hits.

I doubt the capped tradeskillers at TH would enjoy building lvl 10 weapons all day long.

Kozmos
04-04-05, 09:39
I doubt the capped tradeskillers at TH would enjoy building lvl 10 weapons all day long.
why ? Its the people that need lvl 10 weapons that bloody appreciate it, i prefer working for newbies and clan rather then some random capped guy that thinks hes the mutts nuts and has demand after demand after demand, dont tip or even say thanx for the 4/5 slotters...

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 09:51
I know some tradeskillers do enjoy it, but most enjoy having their names on 5 slot rares or high level weapons more.

Personaly i only tradeskill for myself or clan. Poking i do for everyone, except my enemies, and i don't even care for tips.