PDA

View Full Version : Neocron 2 Ask The Devs - Discussion

Nidhogg
01-04-05, 01:13
I've saved up all the other questions (and there were many from the French and German communities) for another time but Snow has hit all the "biggies". Please restrict the discussion to the material in hand and remember that Snow isn't responsible for technical issues with Neocron. ;)

N

Seven
01-04-05, 01:24
Sounds pretty good, but he didn't mention anything about player shops and item tracking.

Oh yeah, Cheers and Beers for the info, great to see the communication progressing along. :cool:

Eckhart
01-04-05, 01:25
Im really intrigued :)

Thanks go to both Nid and Snow for taking the time to conduct this interview for the community.

One thing I would ask though.

The old Canyon has been completely re-arranged. The DoY Alliance Leader Ronald Rodriguez will be pleased to discuss this further with DOY-loyal Runners.
Im confused here, does this mean that the fire mobs currently residing there have been removed? Have parts of the Canyon been redesigned? Or am I completely missing the mark here with my interpretation of that sentence?

Brammers
01-04-05, 01:27
Excellent little interview, however it seem there is no current working date for the international release in the interview.

What's the new date for the international release then?

Eckhart
01-04-05, 01:28
Sounds pretty good, but he didn't mention anything about player shops and item tracking.
I believe its already been stated that item tracking is definatly on course for the international release. Im personally quite glad that it wasnt mentioned, since it would simply have taken up interview time restating information that the community had. Imo, informing us about stuff that hasnt been addressed before is better.

Nidhogg
01-04-05, 01:30
As I said at the top, Snowcrash isn't responsible for game coding issues such as item tracking. By Canyon we mean the TG canyon zone, not the entire canyon area.

N

Seven
01-04-05, 01:32
Forgot that Nid. :o

Eckhart
01-04-05, 01:33
As I said at the top, Snowcrash isn't responsible for game coding issues such as item tracking. By Canyon we mean the TG canyon zone, not the entire canyon area.

N
Thanks Nid, clearer now :)

E. Cryton
01-04-05, 01:45
is it just me or are there no questions asked about pvp - balancing ?

CMaster
01-04-05, 02:05
Hmm, Is my Old Canyon appartment gonna become useless to me I wonder...

eprodigy
01-04-05, 02:28
really nice! that mr jones things sounds great, you mentioend the quad would be got through it, will current players have a chance to run these missions? to see them as well as receive some items we might enoy as well (that quad looked sexy) without rerolling i mean ;)

Clive tombstone
01-04-05, 02:35
Hmm, Is my Old Canyon appartment gonna become useless to me I wonder...

I hope mine wont ether haha. being pro city and all.

Dr Strange
01-04-05, 05:07
Can we have a question answer session for the coding/game mechanics devs?

capt-o
01-04-05, 05:14
Just judging by the context of the canyon part it almost sounds like the door there is open that was never open (i think it's lable Gaurdian HQ or something) maybe accesible now.

He reffered to area's that had been closed, and since the old canyon is currently open, it's the only thing I can think of.

Heavyporker
01-04-05, 05:46
OMG. that'd be awesome if the hidden TG HQ in the Canyon opened up. Fuck.. that'd rule.

Hope the firemobs in there haven't been removed. That spot as it is at the moment is a pretty hot spot (pun intended) for leveling and cash/loot and missions.

Clive tombstone
01-04-05, 05:48
Meh, The fire mobs are ok, Kind wish the canyon was a two zone area, one residential (safe zone, Merchant town), and the other... well Fire residential :D .

Ps-congrats HP, on 4k posts :D

Heavyporker
01-04-05, 06:06
Eh?

Oh. Finally cracked that barrier. Sad to say, many others have surpassed me.
I take solace, though, in the thought that I exceed them in overall quality of postage.

One thing that REALLY concerns me... is Quads only gonna be available to noobs going through the missions?

Clive tombstone
01-04-05, 07:17
as a dedicated vehicle user I certainly hope not

msdong
01-04-05, 08:17
One thing that REALLY concerns me... is Quads only gonna be available to noobs going through the missions?

i dont think a 30mm cannon on a quad is a noob toy ;)
well, but it woud be pretty bad when they are only for "driver" professions because old chars dont have that.

Original monk
01-04-05, 09:20
extremely intresting interview, good work, i keep my patience and im looking forward to the new content patch and these new cool missions and items :)

i like the mr.jones idea :) and am curious about new locations :)

original, waiting for international release

Selendor
01-04-05, 10:52
Am I the only one to be extremely amused that all this info has been posted on April Fools Day? :p

SnowCrash
01-04-05, 10:53
Am I the only one to be extremely amused that all this info has been posted on April Fools Day? :p

The interview was ready before 1. April, the translation just took a bit time. So it is definately no april joke. ;)

Morganth
01-04-05, 11:15

Good thing the international release wasn't scheduled for today.

netster
01-04-05, 11:41
Good thing the international release wasn't scheduled for today.
hell man, dont scare me.... even this would be the first time, somethings patched/updated just befor the timewindow is closed :lol:

Comie
01-04-05, 12:00
I would have to question the sanity/sensibility of the Tech Angels Security cheif and strategist, moved to doy cos it was safer and more tactically sound? they're in a city thats been nuked... there are holes in the roof allowing for a air assualt, there are sectors that have been abandond... ideal places for the enemy to congrgate and hold/fortify, dodgy radiation shielding AND to make matters worse its easier to get into than a $10 whore, as far as technology goes its FAR behind than Tech haven.
Tech haven was underground, in a very strategic position over looking Neocron, had big laser cannons protecting the outside of it... to assault (outside of gring in) it would be one of the worse places to attackm spiral staircases with turrets at every corner, looooong grav lift that makes the attackers look like a shooting gallery, spiderbots roaming potential to monitor EVERY aspect of the haven... i think who ever made the decision to move needs to start looking for a new job... maybe he should go find some trench warfare and suggest the stunning tactic of "i know lets just run at their guns, they'll run out of bullets far quicker than we will run out of MEN!"

genious

Capt. Rik
01-04-05, 12:08
Maybe he was a CA spy and tricked the FA nibs into going to DoY :p

Comie
01-04-05, 12:19
Maybe he was a CA spy and tricked the FA nibs into going to DoY :p

damn if thats the case then give that man a medal

Spermy
01-04-05, 12:50
Still intrigued with whats going on - seeing as I'm on a new account I'm gonna cancel the trial when it's up and just go buy a Box! Marks a deffo comeback for the spermster :) Looking forward to those "mr jones" missions, and the alliance high level missions should keep the WOC whores among us happy for at least a little bit :)

As for itwem tracking - assuming it's all in there and ready - top dollar. Also read summat about player shops in there? I'm not to keen on the idea anymore - NC trade is just as easy - but I much prefer the trader meetings in TH and the auctions, Picked up some really decent stuff there in the past that people don't bother selling on NC trade. If they even use NC trade channels at all :S

So yeah - all in all, I R Teh Happy - many thankies to all involved :)

aKe`cj
01-04-05, 13:17
I would have to question the sanity/sensibility of the Tech Angels Security cheif and strategist, moved to doy cos it was safer and more tactically sound? they're in a city thats been nuked...
Well... I dont see why people have problems understanding the FA's move to the doy. Taking into account the faction history, the nc timeline/background story + the events that took place in the near past (evidence given by the neo-media, cronicle/votr) a clear picture has been shaped..acctually more precise & in-depth than concerning most other factions... all of the below is backed by nc-history / articles in the media:

--------------------------------------------------------
Who were the inhabitants of the TechHeaven?
Scientists who left NC-City to work freely without intervention from the NC-Regime ("A free society for free minds"). Since that day they weren't really friends with the NC Government (although at that time NC wasnt ruled by Reza, but by the PSI-monks). When said group of scientists left Neocron and built the underground-complex in the wastes, later to be known as the TechHaven, they gathered a lot of experience concerning the radiation and how to deal with it / improve protection. The Haven became a more or less neutral outpost... more/less because their philosophy differs very much from the tight control thinking of the NC Gov. lead by Reza and they kept a better relation to the freedom-fighters, known as Twilight-Guardian.
When the Dome of York nuked the Canyon TG seeked shelter in the Haven and this made the relations between Reza and the techfreaks all but easy. Quickly, the TechHaven turned into a warscene when NC-troops launched their assault on the still weak Guardians and I believe, Reza wasnt to happy that the FallenAngels gave asylum to TG / fought against the NC intruders... all in all the ties between NC and FA became weaker over time and finally turned into hostility as the alliance between FA and TG grew stronger.
The FallenAngel leadership soon became aware of the new conflict that laid ahead and new ways to keep the TechHaven as a tradepost and peaceful, scientific outpost had to be found. In addition, there were also more radical splinter groups within the faction who would have endangered any arrangement for long-term peace at the Haven.
When the Dome was destroyed and the anti-NC coalition moved in to form a new & powerfull alliance the leaders of FA realised how they could solve their problems:
They moved their official parts to the Dome and helped with re-building the city. Their strong knowledge on radiation-countermeasures and survival in hostile environments guaranteed them a strong place within the alliance. The radical splinter groups were now able to operate without endangering the TechHaven which now, since the 'enemies' of NC seemingly left, was back on the track to once again become the number-1 trading-station... a profitable business for the faction, especially now - where two major cities needed neutral grounds for trading. The Haven isnt officialy run by the Fallen Angels anymore, but the secret sections, labs and command centres within the complex still pose evidence of the strong influence the FA kept over the TechHaven.
--------------------------------------------------------

..this leads to another Question tho' .. WHEN are we going to see an update of the faction descriptions on cp.neocron.com ?!?

CMaster
01-04-05, 13:44
And that all the signs still say "Fallen Angels"
Yeah I really want the quad - and I made my 'driver' a 'soldier' by profession, as HC is far more useful than pistols for a driver...
OH yeah, and can we get an estimated time frame on all this?

Preach
01-04-05, 13:45
If they were to reactivate the TG canyone to its former state or similar to its former state with a GR and a Gogo and such it would create the rival to CRP, a place for pro cities to hang out,.... i like that idea

CMaster
01-04-05, 13:57
I'd really like more public genreps on the map. How about removing CRP GR and putting one at catlock bay (and a gogo). The maybe Sherman bay too? Escuador Oasis? Reagants legacy? So many of these places are good to go, but being able to get there in a reasonable time frame relies on a freindly clan being nice enough to open their GRs. I mean, if FF didn't leave Soliko (normally) and Grant (normally) then MC5 and Old Canyon would be a real bitch for pro cities. Equally, swamps access pretty much relies on someone leaving Gravis or Greycore open too.

Mr Kot
01-04-05, 14:43
I'd really like more public genreps on the map. How about removing CRP GR and putting one at catlock bay (and a gogo). The maybe Sherman bay too? Escuador Oasis? Reagants legacy? So many of these places are good to go, but being able to get there in a reasonable time frame relies on a freindly clan being nice enough to open their GRs. I mean, if FF didn't leave Soliko (normally) and Grant (normally) then MC5 and Old Canyon would be a real bitch for pro cities. Equally, swamps access pretty much relies on someone leaving Gravis or Greycore open too.

Agreed. There used to be a rep at Escador in NC1. In NC2 the navray still points there but the GR has disappeared, dunno if that is intentional. Sherman bay should have a GR as it's just the same as point red, and would make the GR map a little more symmetrical. Not sure about catlock, as some zones should be a little off the beaten track to heighten the sense of danger and adventure by straying further from a GR. As for CRP, i think the GR there should be unlocked from the Cycrow outpost settings as Cycrow already has one GR, they don't really need two.

BradSTL
01-04-05, 19:48
First of all, I think you guys are crazy not to release the next patch before International Release goes live, and I'll tell you why. The reason you're holding on to it is so you can spend as much time on quality assurance as possible until then? Good idea, except that you've got a heck of a lot more volunteer QA people on this side of the server than you have on your side of the server. It seems to me it'd be a lot smarter to put up a patch activating all of these features about a week before you expected the deluge, so that you have time to fix any bugs/exploits we find.

My second point is a less important one, just something small that bugged me in the interview. Please, for the love of god, don't tell me that you're changing the name of the Street Samurai profession to Berserker. Berserker sounds way, way too fantasy-world, like something you'd find in World of Warcraft or Everquest. Street Samurai sounds way, way more cyberpunk.

E. Cryton
01-04-05, 20:03
nc is mainly a pvp game.
so why are there no questions asked about pvp balancing etc ...???

Obsidian X
01-04-05, 20:05
nc is mainly a pvp game.
so why are there no questions asked about pvp balancing etc ...???

Isn't balancing Lupus's department? Snowcrash is only in charge of content.

darkservent
01-04-05, 20:31

As much as this would be nice to have in a ideal world the whole concept of locking GRs would be thrown out of the window. There are limited number of public GRs and I think in a way is challanging and obviously frustrating for alot too.

I really really wanted to ask abt Regents Castle cause if its never gonna be used or opened then Delete it and create sumtin useful that dont waste so much space.

darknessfairy
01-04-05, 21:40
ignore me im stupid

Tostino
01-04-05, 22:26
I love the idea of a mission to get a *good* noob weapon it will make the game alot eayser to start out in for somine that doesnt already have high lvl friends.

Terkantia
02-04-05, 14:07
I love the idea of a mission to get a *good* noob weapon it will make the game alot eayser to start out in for somine that doesnt already have high lvl friends.

I agree. I think it's great that so much work seems to be aimed at the n00b experience. From a content standpoint, I found this li teaser quite exciting, I am resally looking forward to the new stuff for all levels.

And tbh, that quad is teh S3X4H!!!

RogerRamjet
02-04-05, 19:21
I heard a rumour that the old TG canyon was originally going to be turned into a huge OP, more like a fortress than an outpost in the plains i guess. I still think there should be a GR there, and i agree with Cmaster that there should be a free GR closer to catlock or making crp GR a free GR.

Or put a similar cave closer to Neocron itself.

aKe`cj
02-04-05, 19:39
I heard a rumour that the old TG canyon was originally going to be turned into a huge OP, more like a fortress than an outpost in the plains i guess. I still think there should be a GR there, and i agree with Cmaster that there should be a free GR closer to catlock or making crp GR a free GR.

Or put a similar cave closer to Neocron itself.

DRT ? only 2/3 syncs away.. a matter of minutes
:)

Tostino
02-04-05, 19:45
DRT ? only 2/3 syncs away.. a matter of minutes
:)
DRT = aloways camped and 6-7 zones from the closest public GR.

Xylaz
02-04-05, 22:13
I'd really like more public genreps on the map. How about removing CRP GR and putting one at catlock bay (and a gogo).

That is an excellent idea mr CMaster! Could solve a LOT of problems with one move.

Ultazha
04-04-05, 11:38

N

Is it planned to have such Questions/Answers discussion with :
- Code Writing responsible
- (International) Marketing responsible

I think that it could be interesting too ;)

PS: Thx to Snowcrash for those first answers, i'm already waiting for the other answers in the list :)