PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Communications issue. The trade channels.

Heavyporker
31-03-05, 02:44
Been thinking on this a while.

Just so fucking daft that DoYites can spam and chat and fart around (and all too occassionally do they actually conduct trade) on Trade-NC.

Meanwhile, their specific trading channel - TradeDoY - is freaking DEAD.

How about we make it so that only Neocronians can TALK on TradeNC... only DoYites can TALK on TradeDoY... but perhaps they're free to LISTEN to the enemy Trade channel?

Trade-TH would only be limited to the area of Tech Haven, but open to anyone to talk on in the area. Think of it as a 7-zone ZONE channel... TradeMB would work the same way - only functions inside Military Base and its internal sectors.

This way, we can encourage using the proper channels, cut down on random spam and spontaneous OOC conversations on TradeNC, encourage RP, etc, etc.

Please vote, rate, and explain why.

Obsidian X
31-03-05, 03:27
I abstained from this vote.

I can see your logic porker, it makes sense that anti-city have and therefore should use their own trade channel. However, cross faction trading is often conducted over Trade NC, particularly anticity epics for pro epics etc; there would be no way to do this if Trade NC was made NC only. Of course neutral trading could take place in TH, but I don't want to have to be in TH to advertise my wares to anti-city.

SovKhan
31-03-05, 05:19
i voted no, i think trade-NC and trade-DOY should be removed, there should only be trade-TH because everyone knows thats where most of the tradeskillers are all the time.

if you really want only your side useing the channel than mute all the trades and than use allience for everything.

Dr Strange
31-03-05, 07:18
No. I can't agree to that. First, it's one of a ton of reasons I don't play WoW, no communication between various enemy factions.

Second, again this is my personal view, Pro City has lot more people than Anti. Anti has bigger clans obviously but theres a fuckload more people in the Plazas and such during peak hours trading and tradeskilling vs the handful of Anti's in TH and the occasional one guy asking for pokes in "City Center".

On one hand, sure more Anti's would use Trade - DoY but that limits your options of who has what by 1/2. Second, there are plenty of other channels. Unless you kept GM's enforcing the "rule" 24/7 people WILL start trading on OOC and other channels, I know I for one would if my options were cut in 1/2 not by my choice.

And then it kinda defeats the point of Tech Haven. Sure TH has a few vendors not in many other places (Smugglers) but other than it its pure asthetic value is limited to auctions and the occasional event. It's a center meeting point of safety for enemies and allies alike.

But, sorry Porker I gotta nitpick ya know it, go the full way; no interaction. Blur up the chat for enemy factions ala WoW, make Auctions open to only Pros or Anti's at a certain time. Keep as much GM enforcing of the "chat" rule in all channels (such as people getting around the filter via "leetspeak" or other crap), as much as possible with what man power they have. All other violations of the "chat" rule should be reported by players when no GM is around via screen shots and console.log's emailed to abuse@neocron.com

Too far? Maybe. But if you start that snowball, thats where it will roll too. Am I biast? I'd say so, since most of my items I buy or services rendered are generally from Pro city runners, while I am Anti city. On purpose? No. Just Pros generally tend to have what I want most. Hence why ever 0/2 noob I ever make gets his first few levels, a huge stack of stams, medkits and a tl3 heal and off to TH they run too.

eprodigy
31-03-05, 07:38
disagree. make one channel only. "tradechannel" not specific.

Rogue Arson
31-03-05, 07:44
Voted no.

No reason to do so. Server pops don't justify it. Mandatory split of the trade channel would just mean fewer buyers seeing what fewer sellers are offering.

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 08:24
yes.

there still ooc to post your "omg me > you" comments to your enemies.

though i would change doy for doy alliance and nc for nc alliance to the same as you suggested for TH and MB.

not just neocronites hearing Trade NC... people in the city.

make trade nc work in the city (including OZ) and 1 sector around it, same with other channels (in their respective locations) and have trade wastelands for the rest.

hegemonic
31-03-05, 08:26
Voted no. I understand your point HP, but Trade-NC is vital to the borked economy of this game. Without Trade-NC channel, there'd be no inter-city commerce.

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 08:29
Without Trade-NC channel, there'd be no inter-city commerce.

except trade TH?

TH being that place that lets runners from both cities in... that place that would have its own trade channel...

eprodigy
31-03-05, 08:47
but whats the point then.. everyone would just use trade TH and forget the others... instead of NC as it is now.. no ones ever trading at all inside NC or DOY so theyd be useless for most purposes.

Kuya
31-03-05, 08:48
no, because pro-city is falling apart, so in time there will maybe be 3 ppl trading there and thats it

Capt. Rik
31-03-05, 09:52
I'd really like the idea if there were 300 more people playing the game

Bugs Gunny
31-03-05, 10:14
Porker, who will get you your doy faction items then?
You store should only sell pro city items, all others should be confiscated by NCPD and you should be jailed :-)

Original monk
31-03-05, 10:32
youre right heavyporker, it should be that way to be correct

but i like the tradechannel how it is ... mixed :)

in business there is no place for factiondisputes hehe, a dollar is a dollar even if its from an enemyfactionmember :) (besides due to the factionitems most people have chars in diffrent factions anyway)

i wouldnt mind it if they changed it to this tough .. if the others can still hear you then they can still direct you you see .. but for now i suggest leave it as it is :) why make things more complicated hehe :)

the TH-trade as a kind of big zonechat seems intresting yes :) so you can reach everyone thats atm in TH

im so happy this game isnt like project entropia where you dont have a tradechannel ... to promote there own auctionboards probably cause mindark gains cash true em or sumthing .. dunno its yust not there and the month i played it it was hell :)

Kuya
31-03-05, 10:36
Maybe its better for pro-city to be able to read all the trade channels but only post in their own, same for anti-city, mb and Tech Haven

aKe`cj
31-03-05, 10:49
I like the idea, as it would get people to go to TH for trading... and maybe that would bring back a little bit of the old plaza-1 feeling :)

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 13:15
but whats the point then.. everyone would just use trade TH and forget the others... instead of NC as it is now.. no ones ever trading at all inside NC or DOY so theyd be useless for most purposes.

TH could work only in the TH zones, and the sectors of the wastes with the TH exits...

go to TH to trade if you wanna talk to anti's too

hegemon
31-03-05, 13:28
Yet another "make things more annoying and complicated" suggestion in the name of role playing. Role playing is something you do, not something done to you. If you don't want to trade with anti-city, then don't trade with anti-city.

The various TRADE-XXX channels should be merged since noone uses them anyway except when they want to spam a message widely.

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 13:30
Yet another "make things more annoying and complicated" suggestion in the name of role playing. Role playing is something you do, not something done to you. If you don't want to trade with anti-city, then don't trade with anti-city.

The various TRADE-XXX channels should be merged since noone uses them anyway except when they want to spam a message widely.

should SL and fac symp be removed too? they encourage RP.

infact lets just make this a big pay-to-play deathmatch! :D

:edit: is there some problem with going to TH to trade?

Genty
31-03-05, 14:08
There should be just 3 trade channel.

Trade-NC - For Neocron City runners who just wish to trade with Neocron city runners.
Trade-DoY - For DoY runners who just want to trade with DoY runners
Trade-TH - For all runners who want to trade with everyone else.

Simple as. Work same as alliance chat really, except for trade.

CM runners should get all 3.

Bugs Gunny
31-03-05, 14:23
Woohoo, more junk on the interface :-)

Dribble Joy
31-03-05, 14:40
Yes, though I prefer my own version, that I set out in my BP thread. (:p)

Heavyporker
31-03-05, 15:53
Smugglers. I get my wares that I can't get personally through smugglers.

Smugglers, by definition, operate outside the normal communications channels.

If I want something from a smuggler, I use dead drops, direct messages, word-of-mouth, or personally speak to them in local.

Using public channels is just daft for wallowing in the gray areas of legality.

Anyhoo, I'm suprised this got so much discussion. That gratifies me. I have to admit, yes, this idea could make things a bit rougher, but this wouldn't END COMMERCE FULLSTOP.

And the WHOLE POINT of being ENEMIES is that there is NO DIRECT COMMERCE, COMMUNICATIONS, or RELATIONS outside of conflict.

I mean, if a NC runner and a DoY runner come up to each other and talk to each other in local, there's no stopping them. They effectively speak the same language, have similiar technology, etc etc.

hegemonic
31-03-05, 16:29
And the WHOLE POINT of being ENEMIES is that there is NO DIRECT COMMERCE, COMMUNICATIONS, or RELATIONS outside of conflict.
That's if you play Red = Dead and that is YOUR choice if you do that. I don't play Red = Dead unless I feel threatened. My characters believe that good does exist in people, even if they are enemies.

Keep the ideas coming HeavyPorker --some are good and some are bad, I just feel this current idea on trade channels is not part of your "Best Of..." album.

If you dont like someone's comments on a channel, that's what IGNORE is for. I have about 15 people on my IGNORE list.

Bugs Gunny
31-03-05, 16:35
You just watch out those smuglers don't rip you off or cap you one in the head after taking your cash.

Brammers
31-03-05, 19:28
Heavyporker, I know you and me had a in-character roleplaying advertising fight on Trade NC, I want to have another one!

However thinking about it, I'm afraid it's a no from me. I think it's hard enough for newbies to get hold of stuff as it is. Cutting off access to the comms channel in would make a lot harder.