PDA

View Full Version : skins/rpos/weird hands [constructive]

Infinite
30-03-05, 18:15
This has probably come up many times before when they were initially released (I wasn't here) but what does the general community thing about:

Anime Character Skins
FFX1 hand movments
Unorginized RPOS

Directingthis mainly at KK I guess, personally hating all three of them (I've given them a month and i still hate them), if someone was to make the old models/rpos etc to the new game and you had the chance to look at it would it be allowed?

At the momment i don't play my monk at all as its just so depressing to see her hands flying here there and everywhere. I've downloaded an RPOS from neocroncentral which has got rid of most of the unorganization, which i don't know is allowed but i wouldn't be playing at all if I didn't have it.

Clive tombstone
30-03-05, 18:43
.. now I understand the hand movements are kinda fruity, and yes the plain old movements in NC was prolly more popular, but what do you mean by Anime skins? The only real skins I have problems with are the private eyes, and the tanks, since both have seem to have lost there beefy-ness (PE's look like they went anorexic)

MkVenner
30-03-05, 18:58
spy skins atm are ok, tho i miss the tux

monks look like star wars rejects

Tank look like chubby PEs

PEs look too pop-idol esque...

i miss the hard bitten look of the old PEs/Tanks

Anime skins? no thanks, not a big fan of anime at all, this is neocron, not preston tales :p

not seen the FFX1 hand animations, but i hate the ones we got atm...

Maui
30-03-05, 18:59
I could select 1,2 and 3...

so I did :x

Clive tombstone
30-03-05, 19:10
Personally I wish there was a broader range of clothing and stuff for each class. Not just the different skin templates, but more stuff like trenchcoats for Tanks spy's and PE's. visable backpacks, hell, visable armor hehe (and I dont mean PA damnit :D ) course, Maybe we'll see that in the future, who knows, what is important now though is to make PE's and TANKs cool looking agian haha

PS-make RPOS like alpha and beta were like before haha

Seven
30-03-05, 19:30
Checked all three.

SovKhan
30-03-05, 19:38
i want my old psi monk model/skin back =(.

Xylaz
30-03-05, 20:56
spies look like wimps

besides, all models are unproportional, hands are too large and they have invisible basketballs glued to to it, head is too big with the comparision to the bodies. All those tight latex clothes wont help either.
And yes, they are disproportional just like some anime characters from certain games.

Monks like to swing alot.

PEs are disproportional as well, just like spies

Tanks looks actually ok. Though in the comparision to NC1 they dont look that scary, but at least they look like humans.

Waving hands isnt very cool, but the biggest grief with it is a miscast animation when you are unable to do anything for 3 seconds or more.

/edit/
Another thing: Power Armors, they are made to fit old nc1 skins which means everyone grow muscles (and resizing in width) when equipping power armors. Just try to take off and on PA few times and you'll see how big the disproportion is.

Clive tombstone
30-03-05, 22:27
Hehe, not you should look at the PE PA, the leg armor pieces "Shouldnt" work the way there designed, In other words, Sitting down in that PA would effectivly casterate the user (ouch)

Hell-demon
31-03-05, 00:10
Can we have it so a Private Eye's bottom lip doesn't get aroused.... :rolleyes:

Obsidian X
31-03-05, 00:27
Don't really know about FFXI hand movements. I wouldn't mind the old RPOS as a choice, but I personally couldn't think of anything I'd less rather see than anime skins (or anything to do with anime for that matter) finding its way into Neocron. :wtf:

Clive tombstone
31-03-05, 00:29
I mean seriously, At the art istitute, during a few of our character design classes, we went over the creation of armor quite a few times...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/princedid/newpape.jpg
when you have armor on the legs like this, the upper leg flexability in all reality would be close to ziltch. course looking at the spy and TANK pa, these were a bit more plausable

Infinite
31-03-05, 07:09
By anime i was reffering to the current ones, not implementing them. Looks by the magority of the posts inthe poll at the momments after a year most of you still think the same as me.

Any responce from anyone from KK?

Obsidian X
31-03-05, 07:15
By anime i was reffering to the current ones, not implementing them.

Ah hehe never thought of it like that. Though some of the textures are a bit iffy, its more the character models that bother me. Tanks were hulking monstrosities of ugly muscle, that you could be proud to walk round without wearing PA as. Monks wore long robes like the bizarre psionic cultists that they are. PE's were the archetype of cool, and spies were pretty neat too. Now we have burlap sack wearing clones; all very generic and non-descript looking characters with uninspiring textures and equally uninspiring haircuts. If I'm being honest of course. :angel:

Tidus_Origin
31-03-05, 11:56
In NC1, each class had their distinctive look; Tanks looked like the did bodybuilding 24/7, Monks looked cool in their cloaks/robes, PEs had some great clothes (the flame pants for example) and Spies...well, spies were spies (James Bond-style tuxedo, even blue hair). Now they all look pretty much the same, just spies are a little smaller, and tanks are a little bigger.

Maybe KK'll introduce some new clothes/hairstyles as a surprise when they finish the new Outfitter system. I for one want a slider-bar for hair colour...And, can you bring back shades too? :cool:

Although KK made the casting animation as if the caster was gathering some sort of psychic energy, it just doesn't look as good - I mean, this isn't some dancing competition :) And don't get me started on the miscasting...

When the old NC1 servers were still up, I went and took a look at the old RPOS to compare the two. To me, now, it looks like someone went insane with the green paint, either that or the Incredible Hulk paid a surprise visit when KK were designing the RPOS.

I'm actually one of the few ppl that think the NC2 RPOS looks better than the old one. Yes, it clutters up the screen more, but you can minimise/resize/change the colour of the HUD anyway, so it isn't that big a deal. And it fits in more to the post-apocalypse/cyberpunk style of the rest of the game.

In regards to the choices at the top...I have no idea.

Original monk
31-03-05, 12:45
im used to the rpos by now .. altough i still prefer the older one .. yust cause it was more basic and took less room at the writingthingie ... im not saying the current rpos is ugly or bad but i like the other one better .. i would also love an option to choose between decent reticules :)

skins arent that bad, they look a bit friendly tough .. and sumtimes its hard to see the diffrence between some classes especially in combat i found the previous skins faster to recognize who is wich class ... luckely alot of people use PA .. makes it alot easier allready :)

but in general i think its ok .. except for the castinganimation the monks got now ...

a skin i wouldnt mind seeing re-implemented is one of the old monk skins .. this is purely personal tough :)

http://users.pandora.be/original/skin.jpg

Infinite
02-04-05, 01:00
Still awaiting a reply from a member of the KK staff.

I see somethings will never improve.

Anywords from anyone? An answer to my question maybe?

Selendor
02-04-05, 01:26
We complained when we first saw them in NC2 Beta, we complained when it went live, we're still complaining now. Now I can be patient like the next man, when features need new coding or designing. But when they go and change things that were never broken in the first place, and then refuse to consider going back to the content that already exists and is clearly superiour.....its frustrating in the extreme.

Voted all 3.

This issue makes me sad :(

Oh, and you call them anime skins? I think thats too generous. They are playmobil characters, I mean look at the size of the hands for gawds sake 8|

Skusty
02-04-05, 12:00
I want NC1 hud, skins and zones back in nc, PP fights again yay! Why cant KK make up like, DoY did fall appart, al faction HQs felt apart, all surrvivors escaped back to PepperPark and took over the area once again. Reeza gets scared and makes plaza and viarosso safezones, anticities can come in because they cant cause any dmg, reeza moved out some CA guards from plaza2 GR...all ca guards gone from p2 again :D...

That would make my nc lot better :D

Infinite
04-04-05, 02:09
bump.... STILL awaiting a reply from a member of KK staff.

Noticing that the game staff situation hasn't changed a great deal in the process. [Don't give me anthing about time, you seem to be closing/modifying posts as quick as ever]

Nymphette79
04-04-05, 11:35
As ive said b4 the "big fish, little fish, cardboard box" hands i dont like. And i prefer the old skins and clothes, bring back monk cloaks.

Bugs Gunny
04-04-05, 11:41
If KK removed the bloody guards from PP2-1 i'd be in there more.

I tried running my HC tank solo all the way from PP1 to the medicare in plaza1, via plaza2.
I made it inside the building and the last group of guards got me in the end.

Wit the new population influx i think it would be ok for KK to remove some guards from the dome and neocron city. There's hardly any point in raiding the cities, as on both sides you get parashocked to death.

Infinite
07-04-05, 01:42
Might get a half decent reply from KK one day.

Dribble Joy
07-04-05, 02:11
I think your insesant demanding for a reply is probably not doing anything for your chances in getting one.

Kozmos
07-04-05, 12:36
I just wish they would allow player skins etc again

Infinite
08-04-05, 00:17
I think your insesant demanding for a reply is probably not doing anything for your chances in getting one.

Shouldn't need to. With the forums as inactive as they seem to be now it shouldn't be a problem for KK to answer a simple question from a returning member. They have had over a week for a yes or no answer.

Its such a shame.

I just wish they would allow player skins etc again

That would be a great idea. I bet half of the community used the one from neocroncentral even not knowing if they are allowed due to the fact that they can't even look at the game let alone play it with the default one.

Infinite
22-04-05, 00:02
bump.... STILL awaiting a reply from a member of KK staff.

Noticing that the game staff situation hasn't changed a great deal in the process. [Don't give me anthing about time, you seem to be closing/modifying posts as quick as ever]

bump... get a reply 1 day.

Simple question KK... give a reply to one of your cutomers maybe?

Nidhogg
22-04-05, 00:22
bump... get a reply 1 day.

Simple question KK... give a reply to one of your cutomers maybe?
The more abrasive you get, the less inclined I am to answer. It's my job to work with you guys but don't expect an immediate response because believe it or not I have other things to do besides watch the forum all day long. I also don't respond well to sarcastic comments and have a nasty temper, so be warned.

NC2 gives us the opportunity to introduce new textures and new models for individual pieces of the character and regardless of whether you like the ones that are in there right now the technology is a huge step forward and there's no way we will consider going back to what was in NC1. We have the opportunity to do all kinds of things in this area in the future.

The RPOS changes have been placed temporarily on hold. There are bigger fish to fry.

When things have quietened down maybe I'll post a poll and we'll try and prioritise requests for changes such as these - we have to keep the art dept busy after all. ;)

N

Kozmos
22-04-05, 00:38
The more abrasive you get, the less inclined I am to answer. It's my job to work with you guys but don't expect an immediate response because believe it or not I have other things to do besides watch the forum all day long. I also don't respond well to sarcastic comments and have a nasty temper, so be warned.

NC2 gives us the opportunity to introduce new textures and new models for individual pieces of the character and regardless of whether you like the ones that are in there right now the technology is a huge step forward and there's no way we will consider going back to what was in NC1. We have the opportunity to do all kinds of things in this area in the future.

The RPOS changes have been placed temporarily on hold. There are bigger fish to fry.

When things have quietened down maybe I'll post a poll and we'll try and prioritise requests for changes such as these - we have to keep the art dept busy after all. ;)

N
Is it still the case that we can 'request permission' to work on skins ? Havent checked it for a while but last i read we had to email Stephan Bast about it, or are they totally out of the question now.

Theres players out here, like myself, that would love the opportunity to do things like reskin the viarosso district, viarosso is still in the old resolution instead of the new 512x512 skins. One thing I dislike, but kinda accept is the attitude of there being a few bad apples that made a hack, making it so that the rest of us now cant contribute by adding a variety of new skins, HUD modifications etc, that other players can add at their own discrepancy

Infinite
22-04-05, 03:50
OK, thanks for a reply.

Its been 3 weeks :) if I wasn't I'd never of got a reply.

Nothing against new world textures. TH looks great. Just the play skins look total crap.

Due to the games relese some time before christmas this is understandable hehe. Thought you might want to get a decent RPOS done before few users see it though. Even if its just the RPOS done for NC pro. It was ininitly better than the current one IMHO anyway.

Surely its only a

N

Do something now, surely it will take next to none of your time and you will please a great deal of the existing comunity. You will also be getting work done for free by people that will put the effort in due to wanting it to happen so badly. Surley its a win win situation.