PDA

View Full Version : Solo High-Level Rifle Hunting: Any alternative to the Steppes?

BradSTL
29-03-05, 00:33
Now it's my turn to ask a question. As an rifle spy, I hate the Canyons. If I have to get within something else's return-fire range before I even see it, I'm unhappy. And for the same reason, I hate Y Replicants, who have nearly infinite range.

The highest level mob I can find in any "rolling hills" zones like the Wastelands and the Steppes (which are perfect sniper terrain) is the level 100 Decayed Horror, a too-infrequent mob in the Steppes areas around Malstrond Factory. I'd like to level a bit faster, and to get more rares (which have all but vanished from the loot pool since I hit combat rank 73). Is there a solo hunting area I'm missing, somewhere where level 120 mobs spawn in rolling hills terrain outdoors? Or am I just plain condemned at this point to doing any faster leveling indoors and in the Canyons?

Sammson
29-03-05, 01:10
Spots are sparse I'm afraid. I did quite well hunting doy bots from the El Farid
Oasis, but that was in NC1 before they put the doy guards up there. Might still
be worth a look tho.

Oh yeah, the best spot for grim hunting I've found to be I - 16, good range
hunting, although after a few hours of hunting they tend to congregate behind a
hill in the nw corner and you have to pull em out of there to get the zone back
to a decent population. The bunker in the east is a good spot to fall back to
there.

enigma_b17
29-03-05, 03:05
not many ppl can take on y sergs/commanders without a ppu, apu being the obvious exception as they can hide bhind a hill and shoot, but most of the time would die anyway. Decayed horrors are simple as pai to kill. Grim chasers are the best way i find (and persecutors and the rest) to lvl my rifle spy, I dont really find it boring either, just hide bhind a hill and blast away.

Jake Cutter
29-03-05, 04:08
...and to get more rares (which have all but vanished from the loot pool since I hit combat rank 73)

You might try using a Tangent epic rifle if you're out specifically to hunt rares. Its got very good range and you can usually take down most warbot-level mobs before they can close on your position.

Regards,
Jake Cutter

capt-o
29-03-05, 05:00
My spy is in this situation as well, I've found a few nice spots
and added some with help from this thread. I highlighted them on my map (in pink spray paint).

If anyone knows more update and repost the map (i get tired of the same 5 spots ;) )

Jolt
29-03-05, 07:26
Outside of warbots and fire mobs there is not many options for techs in the outside areas, personally I enjoy fire mobs on my rifle/pistol spies so I spend most of my time leveling on them. Y-reps can be alright, challenging but fun if your carefull.

There probally could have a better zone for Decayed Brutes/Horrors, theres a number of so-so spots between Gab mine and Dev fortress but nothing thats a really great, esp. since they are mixed in with warbots which are a problem if you dont hack.

Also it would be nice if they added tech drops to DoY bots or some other loot of value then just junk to make them at least worth the effort of hacking them.

Original monk
29-03-05, 10:03
warbots warbot warbots until you start trowing up because of em :) check around the battledome :)

when ya wonna level you need a caveteam, preferably chaoscaves with a barreling apu in team :P

not really of any help but thats how i capped my riflerspy ...

kinda boring but atleast i got tons and tons of techs (ty doubledropweekends)

:P

enigma_b17
29-03-05, 10:33
warbots are ok for techs i spose, personally i get more from Fire mobs, plus alot more experience from fire mobs. Warbots I remember bein shat for exp when u hit those higher levels. Back in the original days of nc1 i capped my tank up at the zone either one north or one west of Cajun uplink, as theres a handy gogo on the top of a mountain, however one of my recent visits there shows that its now got 3 or 4 doy guards around it. Not much of a problem really but it just involves u being a little more careful if ur pro-city, if ur anti its no problem really.
if i can get a copy of the map ill try and tell u what zone it is in.

As for what weapon to use, I would prefer the Healing Light (i have a crappy one i use for hunting) opposed to the Tangent Laser Beam Rifle, more damage and more exp :P. However if u dont ave a spare hl and u dont wanna use it for hunting then the tt epic rifle or the tsunami epic rifle (preferred) would be ideal :)

Crest
29-03-05, 12:03
I did a fair amount 1 sector from El farid, on doy (Same as oasis concept). Drag them in from near the ruins... long distance shooting..till the house. Then when you got them around the house... 4/5 of them = eeasy pickings, but watch health as always one or 2 fray away from house and hurt you.

As a spy these mobs are good as you got good resists from PA from em bad boys....

Other place is 120/120 WBS.....
Stealth to cage, and shoot. Wtach those getting you on the angle through cage entrance...as then you are dead

XaNToR
29-03-05, 12:11
go to the swampcaves, get a poison belt, pass approx 3 days there and you are caped already ;)

Spermy
29-03-05, 13:00
Bite the buller and get up close n personal with some fire mobs, a rifle spy can, contrary to popular belief deal out some nasty damage to the high end mobs there and survive. But if in doubt - hire a ppu :)

netster
29-03-05, 13:30
Also it would be nice if they added tech drops to DoY bots or some other loot of value then just junk to make them at least worth the effort of hacking them.
:wtf: u ever tried to sell the doybot loot? if not, delete your char and try again ... with the leveling on them, not hacking 'em... u lost about 20+millions 8|

Original monk
29-03-05, 14:31
:wtf: u ever tried to sell the doybot loot? if not, delete your char and try again ... with the leveling on them, not hacking 'em... u lost about 20+millions 8|

is the guy at TT HQ gone that buys the doyloot ? he gave good money for the loot .. dunno by head anymore .. wasnt it sumthing like 7-8k a piece ?

i know fun armour to hunt them doybots is ... the armour specially designed to kill doybots ! :P ... Anti Radiation Suit ... (gives +200xray but removes 5 int and 50 hack) .. its not for sale anymore tough ... if youre lucky you brought some from NC1 ...

i dont want those armours re-implemented btw ...

bring the lootbuyer back ... leave the armourguy with the ARS out ...

CMaster
29-03-05, 14:39
I'll buy most DoY junk off you for about 10-15k a pieced - depeding on what it is. Not interested in hair of warrior, for example.

Original monk
29-03-05, 14:44
thats an even better solution, 10 to 15k is very nice :)

the loot good for recycling orso ? or can you make sum special items out of em ? dunno :)

RogerRamjet
29-03-05, 14:52
If you want to cap your spy, spec some poison in CON ( how much depending on if u can wear light/med/heavy belts) stick in a filter heart 1, use basic resist 2 and grind it out. However it is boring as hell.

Ill probably attempt to cap on DoY Bots, but i havent done this since the glory dayes of El Farid, when there'd be loads of em around.

hegemon
29-03-05, 15:07

Sell to whom?

I've killed a bunch of doybots and I've never gotten anything that is either useful for recycling or worth more than 3k at YOs. It's worse junk than most. The loot in the tunnels is different, but outside doybots don't drop anything. The whole story about good loot from them seems to be some kind of urban legend.

Xylaz
29-03-05, 15:34
In NC1 you could earn millions and billions of cash from selling DoY Bot junk. There was some guy in TT HQ who bought all the doybot junk for like 10000 nc each.
I doubt he's still there though.

J J
29-03-05, 17:12
no you can't sell DoY bot junk anymore. Shame.....

Dribble Joy
29-03-05, 17:27
Meh.. ruined the economy....

Still too easy to get cash, especially OPs.

Infinite
29-03-05, 22:10
Hunt Warbots :)

while ($stillsane > 0) {
findwarbot();
aimatwarbot();
putlargeobjectonmousebuttonone();
gomakecoffee();
hackandloot();
}

BradSTL
29-03-05, 22:42
Yeah, I keep telling myself I need to map some modifier key so that I can easily lock down the left mouse button. It's less important now that I'm up to an HL, but damn. It takes forever, it feels like, to bring down a Warbot Titan with a Tangent Experimental Beamweapon Rifle, but unless something spawns right on top of you the outcome is never in doubt.

Oh, well. Back to the Steppes for a while longer. Only 5 DEX points and 9 INT points to go.

netster
30-03-05, 09:33
Tangent Experimental Beamweapon Rifle
TT epic rifle?

Torg
30-03-05, 10:07
try looting an energy soulblade. once i did worm tunnel and wasted mr. appartition, with my trusted 2slot RoG and a xx/5x-PPU to gimme shelter. thats fun.

that very same team did jankins cave, while doy tunnel appeared as being too harsh for a trader-hybrid-spy.

for hunting warbots, i'd advice a scoped redeemer rather than a healing light, for no other reason than watching those nice yellow balls crushing bots in seconds.

more fun: Grepp out to blackhill, shoot at a grim or terror, lure the whole breed to the OP entrance and solo with a heavy fire belt. sure makes you dream of those easy warbots.

Skusty
31-03-05, 12:42
Im a 82/60 RC spy, i usually hunt wbs, its about 100k xp each, but im not ina hurry to cap or something...i level in the way i want. I wanna lvl fast? i go DoY bot killing, i wanna lvl slow or medium? i go WBs :p But WBs are fine for me, im not a person who is OMG OMG GOTTA CAP BEFORE ** :**. I prefer lvling in the way that is nicest. I cant do swamps, dont like it :lol:

Original monk
31-03-05, 12:56
Im a 82/60 RC spy, i usually hunt wbs, its about 100k xp each, but im not ina hurry to cap or something...i level in the way i want. I wanna lvl fast? i go DoY bot killing, i wanna lvl slow or medium? i go WBs :p But WBs are fine for me, im not a person who is OMG OMG GOTTA CAP BEFORE ** :**. I prefer lvling in the way that is nicest. I cant do swamps, dont like it :lol:

i dont think they give you 100k xp each :) dunno the correct numbers tough

if he wonna level he needs a cave, if he want parts he need WB's or firemobs :)

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 13:32
TT epic rifle?

TT epic is sexy...

even my gamma modded one shredds WB's :p

netster
31-03-05, 13:46
ah yes, got rifle+cannon+pistol .... (5slot cannon btw silenced+scoped :D)