PDA

View Full Version : windows update killed my net

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 01:33
hmm... only clue is that vent brings up a TCP/IP error.

connects as usual, shows (minimal) network traffic, but nothing works on the net. no browsers, not steam, not NC, not vent... you get the idea.

being the idiot i am i had system restore off to save on HDD usage... so in stuck with it. im leavin the family PC downloading win 64... but im hoping someone else has solved this in the past.

heres hoping for some help...

Jester

:edit: win XP pro media centre, first set of updates from a fresh install (vital and optional)

basically sp1 i think

Nidhogg
28-03-05, 01:35
Thread moved.

N

darkservent
28-03-05, 01:44
Jump straight to SP2 no need for SP1.

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 13:28
i just did what it selected for me :p

well no solutions here... guess ill reformat (for the second time this weekend) and install win xp 64

darkservent
28-03-05, 20:16
Is your media center the 2005 edition cause that would have the sp 2 anyway. Dunno what is wrong with ur connection.

Oh and make sure ur drivers are 64 bit drivers, I read somewhere that the drivers need to be 64 bit to work properly on a xp 64 system.

Jesterthegreat
29-03-05, 03:06
didnt have win 64 at the time... though this caused me to install it.

the closed thread caused me to reinstall in xp pro media centre again though... and im not touching windows update this time :p

|R@zor|
29-03-05, 08:28
Your not the only one who's had trouble with windows update,

I've been fighting with my pc all weekend to get it to recognise my gfx card after my computer downloaded ATI drivers from windows update on thusday night.

I was expecting to use my 4 days off work for easter weekend to do some gaming but when i turned on my pc on friday it refused to accept my gfx card, and the monitor just plain switched off at the mere glance of a polygon.

I could'nt remove the drivers, and had to re-format and re-install windows XP pro for it to work again, then my motherboard refused to accept that my processor was an XP 3200+ and kept saying it was just 1.1ghz instead of 2.2

Took me all weekend to sort it out, and wasted my long weekend :(

Maui
30-03-05, 16:33
hmm... only clue is that vent brings up a TCP/IP error.

connects as usual, shows (minimal) network traffic, but nothing works on the net. no browsers, not steam, not NC, not vent... you get the idea.

being the idiot i am i had system restore off to save on HDD usage... so in stuck with it. im leavin the family PC downloading win 64... but im hoping someone else has solved this in the past.

heres hoping for some help...

Jester

:edit: win XP pro media centre, first set of updates from a fresh install (vital and optional)

basically sp1 i think

u sir, are a noob :)

put ur network cable in .. k ?

or wait till ur router has added u to his dhcp list :x

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 08:13
u sir, are a noob :)

put ur network cable in .. k ?

or wait till ur router has added u to his dhcp list :x

1. no network.

2. no router.

3. no noob.

:p

Maui
31-03-05, 08:52
u want to say u dl'ed the windows update shizz with an modem x_X

Jesterthegreat
31-03-05, 13:23
u want to say u dl'ed the windows update shizz with an modem x_X

rgr

sure did

doesnt matter now as i refomatted 2 times since this post :p

close plz mod

Lightpipe
01-04-05, 02:10
Your not the only one who's had trouble with windows update,

I've been fighting with my pc all weekend to get it to recognise my gfx card after my computer downloaded ATI drivers from windows update on thusday night.

I was expecting to use my 4 days off work for easter weekend to do some gaming but when i turned on my pc on friday it refused to accept my gfx card, and the monitor just plain switched off at the mere glance of a polygon.

I could'nt remove the drivers, and had to re-format and re-install windows XP pro for it to work again, then my motherboard refused to accept that my processor was an XP 3200+ and kept saying it was just 1.1ghz instead of 2.2

Took me all weekend to sort it out, and wasted my long weekend :(

You should of booted into Safe mode and removed the drivers......opps