View Full Version : is this a Scam?

nobby
27-03-05, 23:42
http://www.gameconsolegiveaway.co.uk/?r=8751

i wanna get a PSP...

try it see if it works...

Nidhogg
27-03-05, 23:46
Ask yourself "are they offering to give me something for nothing (or less than it's worth)". If the answer is "yes" then it's a scam.

N

nobby
27-03-05, 23:59
but have you even looked?

I know events in shopping malls where men were firing Dollers from a cannon...
that wasn't a scam...

Jesterthegreat
27-03-05, 23:59
Ask yourself "are they offering to give me something for nothing (or less than it's worth)". If the answer is "yes" then it's a scam.

N

or the answers "it's not a scam, but its illegal"

not a reply to the thread starter, just nids statement ;)

:edit: the link in the top left is a real thing... if you find a link to the page you are asking about on www.makepovertyhistory.org then its prolly the real thing (or they scammed them too :p)

Nidhogg
28-03-05, 00:01
If it's illegal then it's still a scam. Surely that's what scams are. :p

N

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 00:02
If it's illegal then it's still a scam. Surely that's what scams are. :p

N

well i havent heard things like the old kazaa and other file sharing / illegal bit torrent sites as scamming... but you could be right i guess

nobby
28-03-05, 00:03
anyone wanna test it?

me wants PSP!

nobby not waiting until end of fucking June for one!

pissing UK!

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 00:05
anyone wanna test it?

me wants PSP!

nobby not waiting until end of fucking June for one!

pissing UK!

im assuming you have to enter personal details...

so no im not going to test it.

you can though... at your own risk

nobby
28-03-05, 00:06
i entered all my personal details....
what now :p

....I think i shouldn't have done this...but oh well...

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 00:09

now you wait to see if you get a free console or if they try to use your details to sign themselves up for a loan or something :p

Obsidian X
28-03-05, 00:57

Sit back and wait for the spam/credit card applications/15 square pounds of junk mail per day :p

paolo escobar
28-03-05, 01:09
to be honest anyone who has bothered to get the url www.gameconsolegiveaway.co.uk has gotta be straight up :lol:

I think i'll stick to buying those web links from ebay, to sites that sell really, really cheap TV's, stereos, computers etc.

darkservent
28-03-05, 01:23
The way they make there cash is everyone u and ur fellow friends need to subscribe to a service which they recieve cash for. Theres always a dam catch NOTHINGS FREEE.

Mr Kot
28-03-05, 03:26

Well, i think everyone's personal details are what they're after.

They want you to recommend some friends to type in their emails, who in turn will recommend others... etc

Big money can be made by selling mailing lists of people's details. Perhaps this money they make is how they could fund the free giveaways (assuming they actually do).

So there is a chance that the offer of free giveways could be genuine, assuming they gather enough details to sell on to marketing companies / call centres etc. It is financially possible, but so is buying a spanish timeshare from a bloke you've only just met down the pub. Question is, do you trust him?

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Lexxuk
28-03-05, 04:37
looking at the FAQ, it looks like you have to refer 12 people, and those 12 people have to probably also refer 12 people (each) and each of the 12 must take up a *special offer* or two. So lets do a bit of math.

If nobby refers 12 people, and those 12 have to refer 12 people,

thats 1 + 12 + 144

Now those 144 (only 1 account remember) have to refer 12 people each, so thats upto 1728, and those have to refer 12 people, so now we are upto 20,736, and they have to refer 12 people, so now we are upto 248,832 people in a queue in only..

umm, 6 turns, amazingly fast that :o Sounds like a Pyramid scheme to me :o

nobby
28-03-05, 09:09
lol... :p

Spermy
28-03-05, 13:25
lol... :p

Mug :p

Ascension
28-03-05, 13:51
Mug :p

I think the word your looking for is nieve ;) :p

darknessfairy
28-03-05, 14:47
they have the same thing with ipods and ipod shuffles. now i sooo want one, anyone wanna be a referral for me ;) lol

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 14:50
they have the same thing with ipods and ipod shuffles. now i sooo want one, anyone wanna be a referral for me ;) lol

makepovertyhistory.org is real.

if you find a link to it on their site i say go for it... if you find a site that has stuck their name on it i wouldnt bother :p

:edit: and i wouldnt bother with the links bot-boy posted on forum discussion / new runners either :p

:edit2: bot's posts deleted now anyway...

dark_reaper
28-03-05, 21:32
Find one of those e-mail sites where you can register multiple e-mails. Then have a P.O. Box. Once you recieve your package, cancel the P.O. Box. Then cancel the e-mail adresses that you sent them to. and you should be home free. Scam the scammers. Done that once with an Ipod.
I think with the US Post office PO box. for a 4x6 I think it runs $36 a year which is not that bad.

dmon99
10-04-05, 05:48
only problem is you better read their term of service and disclaimers
they say you are legally bound in a contract once you register with them also most of their disclaimers state that the item they send you may not be the exact item in the offer but something that is comparable to that item
without notifying you whatsoever so heres you nokia cell phone from 1999

or your 50$ 3 inch screen portable dvd player that runs off of D size batteries