PDA

View Full Version : Why is this happening?

Nymphette79
27-03-05, 17:50
Me and my hubby both play NC and have 2 PC's in the same room, the problem is we get lag between us, like i will be running ahead of him on my screen but on his im still in an elevator or door, when driving he goes over a hill, a few secs later i go over it on my screen, its not a big thing but noticable. We both have good PCs and are on 2mb BlueYonder Broadband split by a router. Anyone got any ideas what's causing it or is it a normal thing?

TIA

[TgR]KILLER
27-03-05, 18:00
its a normal thing everybody has it.. noticed it to when double logging on my laptop.

FaveriN
27-03-05, 18:07
As a dual-logger with 2 pcs, i'd have to say thats very normal indeed.

Sakletare
27-03-05, 18:15
Rhino gunner: Drive up that hill next to us so i can snipe over the OP wall.
Rhino driver. We are standing on that hill.
Rhino gunner: Oh...

Normal.

Nidhogg
27-03-05, 18:17
Developing a game that allows many people to play alongside each other from all over the world presents many challenges, and even though NC superficially looks like your usual FPS, under the covers they are worlds apart. In reality it is impossible to provide a 100% consistently behaving FPS experience with so many players (and locations) and the problem is compounded when you add in player/weapon stats, NPCs, dynamic content etc. etc. So the challenge is to make the game appear to be consistent from the point of view of each player and even though it's actually an impossible challenge Neocron sustains that belief remarkably well.

It's only when you see the game from two player's perspectives that you realise how difficult a problem it is to solve. Remember, every other MMORPG out there makes sacrifices that we do not, be it FPS style combat, stats-based play etc. and that's what sets Neocron apart.

Neocron's net-code is unfairly criticised. The problem is not the netcode but the trade-offs that have to be made in order to maintain the FPS illusion for everyone, regardless of the number of players or their geographical location.

N

FaveriN
27-03-05, 18:37
Which translates to: Its normal. ;)

Dont mean to criticise at all. I realise that its close to impossible to integrate such a flawless system, which is why if there was no incongruency at all between what i saw on both my monitors at the same time, THEN i would claim its abnormal.

Besides, it hardly affects the majority of my fights in-game, so i hardly conceive it as a problem.

KK fanboi, out.

Nymphette79
27-03-05, 21:05
Wasn't complaining or anything just making sure it wasn't something i had done wrong my end.
Thanks for all ur replies

paolo escobar
28-03-05, 01:23
Its quite normal m8, jin u gotta think the data regarding where each of u are isnt going from ur computer to ur router then back to the others computer. Its gotta go to hamberg (or wherever it is) first.

KILLER']its a normal thing everybody has it.. noticed it to when double logging on my laptop.
So u log in on two different accounts on the same PC in NC2 at the same time. How?? I tried but my computer and neocron seemed to spit its dummy with the local ports and yeah i changed the local ports on the .ini file etc.

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 15:06
So u log in on two different accounts on the same PC in NC2 at the same time. How?? I tried but my computer and neocron seemed to spit its dummy with the local ports and yeah i changed the local ports on the .ini file etc.

er... just like that.

sometimes you get an error and have to close one or both and start again though.

cannot connect to worldserver might be the error... so long since i did it i forget :p

Bugs Gunny
01-04-05, 10:51
I installed a Trust router yesterday so i can shut down my computers when i'm not at home. (Electricity bill came lol).
My server crashed and is dead anyway, so i first went to ICS via my main rig, which gave problems.

Now with the router i changed the ini file and added localport, and still when i try logging in the second account they get black synchs.

Anyone have a sollution?

Fafhrd
01-04-05, 11:01
Ports more than 1 apart?

21000 and 22000 will work
21000 and 21001 wouldnt work ( in nc1 )

Bugs Gunny
01-04-05, 11:04
100 appart and no, i'm not using 80 or 25 :-)

I guess i'll have to take a look into the virtual thingy on my router.

netster
01-04-05, 11:31
Nid - are there any updates in near/far future about this "lag between two/more clients" ? i mean, i think the different is between 1.5-2 seconds...

zii
01-04-05, 12:18
The lag is expected as clientA sends it new position to the server. The server then sends ClientA's new position to all the other clients, including to ClientB (which in this example is your other PC).

If you have, for example, a 150m/s latency, then double it and add all the server's processing overhead as you and every one else sends their position updates, plus the plasma, and NPCs shooting at you etali. Then you get a noticable delay.

Its almost impossible not to have it, and I'm surprised it works at all. Pleased it does though.

[TgR]KILLER
01-04-05, 15:11

yea logging my own account on my game comp. and sometimes another account to ress myself when died :p or a researcher on the other account to just hand over parts to the resser without having to drop the stuff in boxes etc. don't use it alot but just worked fine after only edditing the local port numbers.

Coid
01-04-05, 18:22
Developing a game that allows many people to play alongside each other from all over the world presents many challenges, and even though NC superficially looks like your usual FPS, under the covers they are worlds apart. In reality it is impossible to provide a 100% consistently behaving FPS experience with so many players (and locations) and the problem is compounded when you add in player/weapon stats, NPCs, dynamic content etc. etc. So the challenge is to make the game appear to be consistent from the point of view of each player and even though it's actually an impossible challenge Neocron sustains that belief remarkably well.

It's only when you see the game from two player's perspectives that you realise how difficult a problem it is to solve. Remember, every other MMORPG out there makes sacrifices that we do not, be it FPS style combat, stats-based play etc. and that's what sets Neocron apart.

Neocron's net-code is unfairly criticised. The problem is not the netcode but the trade-offs that have to be made in order to maintain the FPS illusion for everyone, regardless of the number of players or their geographical location.

N
Nid, untrue....Look at halo and halo2 on xbox live ;) j/k