PDA

View Full Version : The Switch

mishkin
21-03-05, 12:38
Right. I'm currently installing Gentoo linux on my second comp. (Done it before, but I've never gotten it to work correctly, mostly some weird time-stamp-errors or summat :wtf: )

Set it up half-way yesterday, and then the power went, so I had to start all over because of some data lost... :rolleyes:

Well, I've been reading around a bit, and I've come up with something that I want... a gamer's OS. I want to see ATI (Or nvidia, although I'd prefer if ATI did it... ;) ) release their own linux/windows-hybrid with full support for their whole gfx-card-range, a driver-pack for all the good gaming-hardware, like soundcards and whatnot, and a system optimized for gaming. Now, this would cost a wee bit I imagine, but... why can't it be done?

I for one don't want to buy any more of MS's expensive software, nor do I want to tinker with settings for a week to be able to run one game on a Linux-system through an emulator... :rolleyes:

Voice your opinions by voting :cool:

//edit - This is because I don't believe WinXp to be the best platform there is for playing today's power-hogging games. I think it's time someone else took over, we've seen enough of directx :p

Xian
21-03-05, 13:25
Well, I've been reading around a bit, and I've come up with something that I want... a gamer's OS. I want to see ATI (Or nvidia, although I'd prefer if ATI did it... ;) ) release their own linux/windows-hybrid with full support for their whole gfx-card-range, a driver-pack for all the good gaming-hardware, like soundcards and whatnot, and a system optimized for gaming. Now, this would cost a wee bit I imagine, but... why can't it be done?

Linux is open source, Windows closed; Linux runs on solid code, Windows runs on a prayer. Even if some sort of bizarre Linux/Windows lovechild was made by the graphics card companies games would still have to be made compatible with the new, rather ugly looking, flashing the top half but chastity belt on the bottom OS.

mishkin
21-03-05, 13:42
If it was fast, solid and open source, it'd only have to be capable of running windows-games for a couple years, before every game-studio would want to move over to it... Thing is, it'd have to be someone big making this, or it would never gain any popularity... :rolleyes:

Xian
21-03-05, 13:57
If it was fast, solid and open source, it'd only have to be capable of running windows-games for a couple years, before every game-studio would want to move over to it... Thing is, it'd have to be someone big making this, or it would never gain any popularity... :rolleyes:

The other problem is shoving a bunch of people together and saying "build me an OS that does all this" - you might have the best code monkeys on Earth but them having not worked together before can be an arse.