PDA

View Full Version : Watching other MMO's marketing....

Clive tombstone
18-03-05, 01:45
Well, Ive been working more and more, and having less and less free time, But WITH this free time, Ive done a little research on other MMO's trends at the moment for thier marketing tactics. One that Ive found very interesting was one tech that was a use of "Machinima" (for those who dont know what this is, ever hear of "red vs blue"?).

Anywho, Ive noticed that big companies, like SOE use this to promote there games and there story lines.(like Planet side as well as Everquest2) . THis might be a good step for KK to try, since they could easily do this Im guessing. Heck they could throw in some custom animation as well, I mean we all here remember the "april fools" joke right? haha.

Anouther could be more Immersion objects like a Promotional comic or something like that.

Even though this is kinda a lame attempt at getting KK to give us more stuff, It could actually help them a lot, just from my opinion. Anyone else got any ideas? Im not refering to "merchandice" like the other thread was about.

HopesDespair
18-03-05, 07:30
To be honest, coming from someone who plays Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Neocron 2, Planetside, City of Heros, Halo 2, and several RTS games (Starcraft, Total Annihilation, Red Alert)...

wow I just realized I have no life....

Anyways, a lot depends on the community, not so much the company.

Clive tombstone
18-03-05, 08:40
true that is, and sorry for your sudden realization :D . but The goal of this approach would be to reach out to NEW people to join our fine community (god, its startin to sound like an NC cult haha... REPENT! :eek: :D )

PEace out

Dr Strange
18-03-05, 10:15
Oh theres plenty of content for Machinima. Hell G4 once had a show called Portal which was nothing but MMORPG Machinima. So I mean it can be done.

And yea NC has the abilities for it, either player done or actual marketing via KK. Now Halo was already popular but I think internet veterans (and other halo fans) can agree Red vs Blue did help spread the word and boost the popularity of Halo 1. I mean hey I personally never played nor liked Halo but I watched RvsB a few times and found it funny. Whos to say something like that for NC2 wouldn't attract new players? I think it could.

Worth a shot.

Clive tombstone
18-03-05, 11:27
Hehe, since I pitched the idea, and KK went through with it? You think I could get a cameo? :D

seriously, IF I knew how to do a machinima with NC I would, but If I could I would love to add custom animations as well. I wish a rep from KK could think about this hehe, Id love to see a Machinima, and I know plenty of people would love see one. might even bring em over to our side as well haha

HopesDespair
18-03-05, 11:30
Clive, I can make a site and put up some space for it if you get a team together

eLcHi
18-03-05, 12:02
you mean shooting a movie ingame ? with actual storyline and stuff ?

I`m up for it !

Bananarama
18-03-05, 12:12
you mean shooting a movie ingame ? with actual storyline and stuff ?

I`m up for it !

Likewise. Have access to all classes that are happy to die for the sake of NC.

athon
18-03-05, 14:08
Surely can't you just do this with fraps and a movie editor? IIRC that's basically how the Red vs Blue guys started off - just moving their characters around in a multiplayer mode and adding the voice overs later.

There's absolutely nothing to stop the community doing this sort of thing. On the newsletter front, as I understand it both Neocronicle and the Voice of the Resistance will be returning after the International Release.

Athon Solo

Miss Naughty
18-03-05, 14:33
Maybe the story could be about a guy who wakes up to find everyone else in the world has dissapeared. He gets lonely and makes up loads of imaginary friends before turning to Droms to keep him company.

Good luck with it if you do give it a go. I'm sure it'll be fun making it.