PDA

View Full Version : What could you build yourself for $5,569.00?

Seven
16-03-05, 20:49
They are fucking nuts!

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/area51_alx_sli.aspx

Dribble Joy
16-03-05, 20:53
O_o

I'm sure you could make a much better one for half the cost.

Capt. Rik
16-03-05, 20:55
I don't get it, what makes it so good that it's worth £2500?? :confused:

paolo escobar
16-03-05, 20:56
i think thats his point

<edit> and that they are a shady bunch of profiteering bastards!

Tostino
16-03-05, 21:52
Holy crap that is over priced. You can make one that is better then that for 3000$ easy.

Edit: LOL they only give you 1 gig of ram for that price!! I would expect 3 gigs for that price.

[TgR]KILLER
16-03-05, 22:24
its a alienware case.. that always bloody expensive..

but yea i can make a way better pc for half the price.

Brammers
16-03-05, 22:35
Well the Intel Xeon Processor costs 650 quid to start with. Throw that out, and stick a faster and cheaper AMD chip in.

But the case does look nice1 :cool:

J J
17-03-05, 02:06
Originally posted by Paolo Escobar

Last edited by paolo escobar : Yesterday at 18:57. Reason: forgetting to flame alienware

lmfao :lol:

darkservent
17-03-05, 03:12
Holy crap that is over priced. You can make one that is better then that for 3000$ easy.

Well technically its not overpriced for the video array thingy mabob they created or kinda nabbed. Simply put it they seemed to have created a board with 2 PCI Express slots allowing 2 video cards each rendering half the screen. If you remember rightly the old voodoo cards had the same sorta thing, dunno if its on the same line though. I guess thats where the price is.

Personally I have been wondering do alienware create there own componants aka the motherboard. I seemed to be impressed by Alienwares product line and even as a firm believer in makin your own box I still would consider investing in some of there products wheather it be Laptop or Desktop.

LiL T
17-03-05, 03:32
heh you could buy one of there cases and then build the exact same thing for alot less ....

darkservent
17-03-05, 03:45
heh you could buy one of there cases and then build the exact same thing for alot less ....

I dont think its really about the case as much. Fair enough it does look nice and all...but I heard alot of good things about there products and I've seen alot of flames on there products. When I've seen good points, theres been reasons given to why there products are great....but...when I hear "ahhhh Alienware is the sheeeet" or "Alienware sux ass" I just think whats the reason behind that comment. I actually had a discusssion in FOMK with someone about alienware, the guy said well the usual flame and I ask why? The guy never answered my question and kinda proved my point that they seem to be doing something good wheather its customer service or high performance products.

LiL T
17-03-05, 04:14
I dont think its really about the case as much. Fair enough it does look nice and all...but I heard alot of good things about there products and I've seen alot of flames on there products. When I've seen good points, theres been reasons given to why there products are great....but...when I hear "ahhhh Alienware is the sheeeet" or "Alienware sux ass" I just think whats the reason behind that comment. I actually had a discusssion in FOMK with someone about alienware, the guy said well the usual flame and I ask why? The guy never answered my question and kinda proved my point that they seem to be doing something good wheather its customer service or high performance products.
I bet they are very good but I would not pay that much money for a PC, anyway I'm building my own rig next time I need to upgrade which will be fun :)

Spoon
17-03-05, 08:21
heh, you can knock $53 off the price, if you don't get the ALX Heavy Duty Power Cable with it.... 8|

Damn, liquid cooled and dual 10k rpm HD's....

Gotterdammerung
17-03-05, 09:01
very wealthy people with geek gamer kids will buy that. with net worth in in the millions I don't think they'd give much thought to the chore of building their own. for some that price is nothing

Superbron
17-03-05, 09:19
alienware: imported from the planet Ork?

Jesterthegreat
17-03-05, 09:45
aha...

ive never bought from them, from what i've heard the qualities fine... but the price :eek:

oh and an SLI mobo (2x PCI-E) sets you back £130 (roughly)

and my case looks very similar... cost me £30 :p

Bugs Gunny
17-03-05, 09:55
I'll just stick with my overclocked mobile amd until the multicore processors are on the market and affordable.

Rabiator
17-03-05, 11:45
At that price, I'd go for a dual - processor opteron machine. With multicore chips soon arriving, games will increasingly make use of multiple processors (operating systems do now). And two Opterons will easily beat a single Xeon.
I'd also use a slower and less noisy harddrive but more RAM to compensate, so most stuff can run from cache once it is loaded. Let's say 2 GByte for starters.

The graphics system seems a bit exaggerated, a single high end card would do for me.

jernau
17-03-05, 12:03
Hahahahahahahaha

"The Best Custom Built Gaming PC for the Ultimate PC Gamer!"

"Intel"

OMG

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now that's funny.

**cough** tossers **cough**

naimex
17-03-05, 13:17
5569 $ = 33414 Kr almost.

Well you can get the newest technology everything for less than 18000 Kr.

That means you can decorate your case with 15414 Kr.

Revslad
17-03-05, 16:29
i could build my own robocop, just need a half dead poleece man with 1 arm and no legs

Dribble Joy
17-03-05, 16:41
i could build my own robocop, just need a half dead poleece man with 1 arm and no legs
And a ton of baby food.

Original monk
17-03-05, 17:19

how much yo offering for one ? :D

btw i seen you on terra again, nice nice :)

Bugs Gunny
17-03-05, 17:31
You mean you saw his dogtags on terra again :angel:

Revslad
17-03-05, 17:32
cheeky bastard lol, yeh i like jus came back kinda yesterday i think

Dirus
17-03-05, 19:18
Alienware issue aside as I have no problems with them myself, so I can't claim an opinion on them.

Still if I was given $5,569 to go out and "Build" my own PC.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 1MB L2 Cache socket 939 <-- Can't get much better
DFI "Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D" <--- its not SLI thats all I was interested in.
2 x Corsair XMS Extreme Memory 2GB(1024MBx2) DDR-PC-3200 (4GB Total) <-- I could probably find something a lil faster
Asus ATI Radeon x850-XT 256MB Dual DVI <-- My personal choice
2 x Samsung 915N-Black 19"LCD 8ms <--- Tho I'm not a fan of LCD's
Logisys "Dracula" ATX Case with 480w PSU & Side Window <-- *shrugs..* its different
LG 16x DVD+/-RW <-- It works
Sony 16x DVD-ROM <-- Same here
Cooler Master Aquagate All-In-One Liquid Cooling System <-- first one for socket 939 I found that wasnt too cheap
3 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10k RPM SATA <-- still dont think thats enough HD Space..
Logitech Media Keyboard <-- ah it works.. winamp controls are all I ever use extra button wise on my current one.
Logitech MX1000 Cordless Laser Mouse <-- Got one right now
M-Audio 7.1 Channel "Revolution 7.1" <-- it ain't onboard/creative
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 <-- Theres a Set of their original THX 4.1's sitting upstairs

- 4,986.44 <-- for the above, minus shipping.

582.56 <-- use that to add or change things from the above around.. I didnt spend much time researching all this

One of the Con's of building your own system, is you don't get Tech Support. Tho for some people thats never used anyway.

naimex
17-03-05, 20:52
Well lets see :

let me just try and find summet then :)

33414 Kr from start.

Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73 GHz / 1066 MHz / 2 MB L2 Cache / LGA775 Socket

7.555 kr.

ASUS P5AD2-E Premium / LGA775 Socket / Intel 925X Express / 1066 MHz / ATX (Raid 0-1-5-10)

1.740 kr.

4x 1 x 1 GB (1 GB) / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-4200 / 533 MHz

5756 kr. (1.439 kr. each)

HP 870 Watt powersupply

3.092 kr.

Acer AL1715s 17" TFT active matrix / 1280 x 1024 / 0.264 mm / 8 ms / 300 cd/m2 / 500:1 / 24-bit (16,7 million colors)

1.993 kr.

AUDIOTRAK MAYA 1010 Soundcard / 7.1 surroundchannel
/ 24 bit / 96 kHz / PCI

2.524 kr.

Gigabyte GH-PCU22-VG (3D Rocket Cooler PRO)

401 kr.

NZXT GUARDIAN 868W Gaming-Midi-Server ATX black solo

454 kr.

NVidia GeForce PCX 5900 / 400 MHz / PCI Express x16 / 128 MB / 1.1 GHz

1.936 kr.

Freecom FX 50 Double Layer / DVD±RW (+R dobbeltlag) / 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) (R) / 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD+R DL) (W) / 24x (CD) / 4x (DVD±R) (RW)

1.434 kr.

LaCie Bigger Disk 1 TB / 7200 rpm / 8 MB / IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800)/IEEE1394(FireWire)/Hi-Speed USB / 10 ms

6.334 kr.

Thats the best I can do if i go for over the top items.

Total Price :
33219 Kr (5536,50 euro) (including shipping) (danish price)

Left :
195 Kr. (32,50 euro)

::::

Or you can get :

http://www1.dba.dk/images/annbilleder/2/79/38678779_0.jpg

25.500 Kr (4250 Euro)

EDIT 2 ::

Before Jernau runs crazy that i chose an Intel CPU, then i would rather have a 2.4 ghz pentium 4 than a 4 ghz AMD.

AMD SUCKS INTEL ROCKS!!

jernau
17-03-05, 21:15
I honestly don't think I could spend that much on making a games PC these days unless I bought a ridiculous monitor just to waste money. In fact that would be self-defeating as for the best gaming you need a CRT so there's a cap on how "silly" you can get.

I just build a new gaming PC and it cost me under £1500 inc VAT and shipping. There literally wasn't a better graphics card available (6800 Ultra), it has never used even half it's RAM (NC excepted :rolleyes: ) and the only CPU worth considering above the one I got would have been about £50 difference. I even blew extra money on a fancy case and low-noise components.

I could have gone SMP, in fact that was my original intent, but paying £600-800 more for a 10% increase (GPU is what matters for games) is more silly than blowing it on a monitor. I'd rather have an extra Tb of storage (useless for games and besides 4 is enough for me atm) or another PC. In fact another PC would be a better buy as it could run ventrilo, MSN, web, etc to free up the games machine.

The one thing I could (and willl) add to my system is a second GPU which will take the cost to £1900 max. Still only just over half that box and substantially better in every regard.

Of course this all games-related. When it comes to workstations or servers I could spend a lot more than that but I generally wouldn't for home use.

@Naimex - yeah OK, live the myth, someone has to ;).

/edit - the numbers above don't include a monitor as I have 2 decent 21" CRTs and an OK 20" TFT on the desk already. At the most I'd spend £500 on a CRT and I'd feel a mug for doing that these days. That's still well over a thousand dollars less than that rather silly silicon willy.

naimex
17-03-05, 21:18
I honestly don't think I could spend that much on making a games PC these days unless I bought a ridiculous monitor just to waste money. In fact that would be self-defeating as for the best gaming you need a CRT so there's a cap on how "silly" you can get.

@Naimex - yeah OK, live the myth, someone has to ;).

a friend of mine just bought a tft monitor, and it looks really good for a tft, it doesnt even lag or anything, and you can see it perfectly from the sides..

so i think tft screens are getting really close to the crt monitors in game performance.

And I will live the myth :)

I can assure you, you wont see an amd in any computer i put together, for myself or friends.

Intel fanboi to the max ;)

jernau
17-03-05, 21:24
a friend of mine just bought a tft monitor, and it looks really good for a tft, it doesnt even lag or anything, and you can see it perfectly from the sides..

so i think tft screens are getting really close to the crt monitors in game performance.They are getting better, they are still not close.

As it happens I recently got to compare a £4000 TFT to a £400 CRT (slightly over to be fair, but you get the point) at a local PC place where someone had ordered the TFT through. The TFT looked amazing, right up until we turned on the CRT (a stock item, I should add), then we all had a laugh at the monkey that had just wasted £3600.

dark_reaper
17-03-05, 22:42
2 x Corsair XMS Extreme Memory 2GB(1024MBx2) DDR-PC-3200 (4GB .
Come on you can do better than Corsair. Kingston out performes Corsair any day. I will never buy another corsair as long as i live.

very wealthy people with geek gamer kids will buy that. with net worth in in the millions I don't think they'd give much thought to the chore of building their own. for some that price is nothing

Hmm schools buy em. FCCJ of Jacksonville has 4 in the TV Studio. Most of the people there think it is the greatest thing in the world. I just laughed. But these Alienware are second Generation computers. The Dragon cases but with Alienware engraved on the panel.

I am supprised we dont get Floridian Discount on them. We should at least get 10% off sence we pay more than anyone else in the country.

Terayon
18-03-05, 00:00
Case: CoolerMaster Wave Master Aluminum 420W Case (SILVER)

CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 FX 55 CPU

MB: (939-pin) ASUS A8N NF4 SLI Chipset Mainboard

Mem: 2GB (1GBx2) PC3200 DDR400 Memory (Corsair_XMS_PRO)

HD1: MAXTOR 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE

HD2: MAXTOR 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE

In raid 0 of course, only 2 for stability, and becouse im not sure how well more then 2 would work with the power and heat n such.

Videocard 1: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 ULTRA 256MB

Videocard 2: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 ULTRA 256MB

CDrom: DRIVE(DVD-ROM & CDRW) (SILVER)

DVDrom: SONY DWD-22A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (SILVER)

Sound Card: Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS PLATINUM PRO 7.1

Price: $4182.00

I think its safe to say this kicks alienwares ass. Still way to much for me though.

Heavyporker
18-03-05, 04:14
off-topic for a sec... but why do some currencies go for like 100000 units to one dollar or euro? I mean, I look and see 33k kroner or something for 5k... then I look over there and it's like 500k yen, then to another country's currency and it's like 5 billion lires and such. Just kinda.. confusing..

Anyways... Why trash LCD monitors? Quality-wise aside, they've got rather sizeable energy and space savings. That'll count, trust me.

And who the hell thinks 2 graphic cards is over the top?! With 2 graphic cards, I'd turn EVERYTHING UP TO THE FARKING MAX. Man... everything'd look photorealistic and shit. Especially Myst 4. Dear Crahn, that game is like looking at RL... I swear. No fucking kidding. And I don't think I even have the graphics really cranked either. Someone give me a geforce 6800 to test, please.

darkservent
18-03-05, 04:18
I was wondering about this case I saw on overclockers once a month or 2 back. Its around £100ish and its basically a dual BTX and ATX case with room for 2 PSU (1 Top and 1 Bottom). It has bays all the way down. Now I cant seem to find the case anywhere on that site. Does anyone now which one Im on about, cause thats one sexy case.

naimex
18-03-05, 04:48
Especially Myst 4. Dear Crahn, that game is like looking at RL... I swear. No fucking kidding. And I don't think I even have the graphics really cranked either. Someone give me a geforce 6800 to test, please.

My brother has played myst 4 on my geforce fx 5200 and it run perfectly there...

jernau
18-03-05, 05:43
Anyways... Why trash LCD monitors? Quality-wise aside, they've got rather sizeable energy and space savings. That'll count, trust me.
I wasn't trashing them, just saying for gaming they are not the best so if you want the best gaming PC you don't want an LCD.

And who the hell thinks 2 graphic cards is over the top?! With 2 graphic cards, I'd turn EVERYTHING UP TO THE FARKING MAX. Man... everything'd look photorealistic and shit. Especially Myst 4. Dear Crahn, that game is like looking at RL... I swear. No fucking kidding. And I don't think I even have the graphics really cranked either. Someone give me a geforce 6800 to test, please.
Tbh at the moment it is over the top. I can already comfortably max the settings on almost every game at 1600x1200 with a single 6800Ultra. Give it 6-12 months though and it'll make more sense in performance terms and after that it'll start to be a good value upgrade path. I really can't understand why anyone would buy a non-SLI board now.

QuantumDelta
18-03-05, 07:06
I'm agreeing with Jernau as usual, I do love my X800 XT PE, but I'm hoping for some SLI on ATI Cards.
This is an SLI AMD Board, so you can't get better than that.

Pity you don't live local J - You're one of the few peeps I'd let look around in there and make suggestions.

I tell you this much though, atm it's helluh crowded in there.

TFTs...nice for desk/office, crap for gaming.

I'm playing everything in 1200x1024 these days simply so that I can max out my Vsync'd FPS pretty much no matter what I'm looking at or what I'm playing.

WoW is killing my machine though slowly..

imper1um
18-03-05, 07:15
For $5600 I could build a Computer that is quadruple the speed and quality that AlienWare could ever put out.

eBay is a computer builder's friend.

Terayon
18-03-05, 07:36
To me sli seems kind of pointless. I would rather buy a new highend card later then spend an extra 100$ on a mobo just to get another subpar card later. Maybe if the prices decrease and sli is made better. The improvment from a second card is like 60-80% i think.

Spoon
18-03-05, 07:39
I was wondering about this case I saw on overclockers once a month or 2 back. Its around £100ish and its basically a dual BTX and ATX case with room for 2 PSU (1 Top and 1 Bottom). It has bays all the way down. Now I cant seem to find the case anywhere on that site. Does anyone now which one Im on about, cause thats one sexy case.

Is this it, made by Cooler Master (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1055322&CatId=32)?

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/C283-1030.jpg

Jesterthegreat
18-03-05, 10:47
For $5600 I could build a Computer that is quadruple the speed and quality that AlienWare could ever put out.

eBay is a computer builder's friend.

yeah... i love secondhand parts of questionable quality...

ebuyer > ebay

:edit: ill be getting the Asus SLI mobo (i forget the name) and either a GFFX 6600 or 6800 (prolly ultra's). then a second one in a few months when the prices drop a bit.

jernau
18-03-05, 11:10
To me sli seems kind of pointless. I would rather buy a new highend card later then spend an extra 100$ on a mobo just to get another subpar card later. Maybe if the prices decrease and sli is made better. The improvment from a second card is like 60-80% i think.
I think you miss the point. You buy the mobo and card you want now and pay a little extra for SLI (I don't know how prices are in the US but here it's about £30 more which is $60). Then in a year or so you buy the second card which is then less than half what you paid for the first and you almost double the power of your PC. Usually the only way you could get that kind of boost would be a new high-end card which would cost you much more than the total of SLI+2nd card.

Doing it this way not only makes financial sense it also means your PC is more useful for longer. Right now SLI is overkill but in a year a system with two of today's card will be comparable to one with one of whatever the top card is then (see comparisons of 6600SLI to 6800 for a good example).

On top of that there's a risk avoidance factor - I'm sure we've all been in the position of wanting to upgrade GPU but being put off because to do it we also need a new mobo and memory. Well with SLI you know your mobo will be able to skip a generation and save you potentially hundreds of pounds (or dollars).

@Darkservant/Spoon - That's the case I went for. I would recommend it highly with a few caveats (PM me if you want the boring details). It is very large though so I'd definitely get the yard-stick out if you are considering it.

Heavyporker
18-03-05, 17:40
edit - re: naimex - I was talking graphics-wise, not how stable something is with a card. I'm saying, if I had an absolute top-line graphics card, Myst 4 could look so unbelivably gorgeous.

----------

Jeez, Crahn, that case is a freaking BEHEMOTH!

WTF.... 12 bays...

with a 100+ GB hard drive in, say, even just 10 of these... I'd be manually downloading porn for.. let's see.... carry the three, transfer that one.... yeah... that's it.... three weeks before I run out of room.

And obtain massive carpal tunnel syndrome damage in the process.

jernau
18-03-05, 17:50
WTF.... 12 bays...
14 Actually.

One isn't really a bay, it's used for the USB ports and stuff but you can use their 4-3 drive units to concert 3 5.25 bays into 4 3.5s (they also have a build-in fan which is handy at that kind of drive-density). You get one of those with the case and the other two were about £12 each IIRC.

darkservent
18-03-05, 19:45
Yea That case looks really nice, well after doing some case modding yea. Er Jernau PM me them details please....like to now more on it.

Personally I would have like a water cooling system (A top of the end one) and a Really really nice powerful, neat power supply to it as well. Anyone suggest any power supplies. I saw this aluminum fanless PSU on Overclockers but it wasnt as powerful as I wanted. Id prefer the fanless one though cause with the water cooling itll be uberly quiet.

I think if I was to make a system with monds of cash I would really go over the top with the specs even though they may not be needed really I'd still go for it. Though one thing I'd definatly do is Beef up the storage to around a TB, Im pretty lazy when it comes to burning to CDs. Probably with this case Id go for 2 HDDs 10k rpms (Mirrored I think), then like around 2 or 3 bays (with a space in between each drive for airflow) on Hotswappable removable 250-300Gb HDDs, with the extra 2 400 GBs external USB Drives. Hopefully with that I dont think I would run out of space easily.

naimex
18-03-05, 20:51
with a 100+ GB hard drive in, say, even just 10 of these... I'd be manually downloading porn for.. let's see.... carry the three, transfer that one.... yeah... that's it.... three weeks before I run out of room.

LaCie Bigger Disk 1 TB / 7200 rpm / 8 MB / IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800)/IEEE1394(FireWire)/Hi-Speed USB / 10 ms

6.334 kr.

actually..

its a 1 tb harddrive, not a 100 gb :p

and uhm... i got 668 gb harddrive atm, and all my discs are full..

:lol:

but then again im holding server data for a few friends atm... 50 gigs 8|

if i had 5 eb (windows has a limit of 5 or 6 eb i believe in max harddrive size :rolleyes: ) i would still be able to run out of space somehow.

LOST
19-03-05, 16:05
if i had 100 squids to spend on a case that coolmaster with aluminium finish would be lovely.

anyone knows a robber let me know :p

edit: isnt that lacie TB actually 2x 500 gb's. i was drooling over it a couple o months ago.

jernau
19-03-05, 17:03
@darkservant - PMed you the case stuff.

I've never seen much point to water-cooling myself beyond technical curiosity but go for it if you want I suppose.

I got this PSU (http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm)and it's excellent. It's about £70 inc VAT and beats anything else out there from what I've seen and read.

Wrt HDDs for storage - Fast drives are counterproductive, they make more heat, use more power and fail more often. You're much better off with the lots of the biggest slowest drives you can find for bulk storage. Externals also help with power loads as more than 6-8 drives on even the best PSU is asking for trouble, which is why I picked that case.

@Naimex - I assume that's four drives in an external case. Not a bad solution IME as it seperates it from you PC PSU.

Heavyporker
19-03-05, 17:45
Wait... that the fuck?

They have 1 TB hard drives for the general public now? Shit. I'm even more out of touch.

Never thought that 1 TB hard drives for the general public would come out before some holographic mass storage would come up. Frankly, I'm both impressed and disappointed.

Now how the hell much does that 1 TB hard drive cost? If 33k kroner is 5kish... then 6k kroner would be, what, 900 dollars US?

I'm almost kind of... scared. This is a new age....

.... FOR PORN!

naimex
19-03-05, 19:51
Wait... that the fuck?

They have 1 TB hard drives for the general public now? Shit. I'm even more out of touch.

Never thought that 1 TB hard drives for the general public would come out before some holographic mass storage would come up. Frankly, I'm both impressed and disappointed.

Now how the hell much does that 1 TB hard drive cost? If 33k kroner is 5kish... then 6k kroner would be, what, 900 dollars US?

I'm almost kind of... scared. This is a new age....

.... FOR PORN!

LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme 2 TB <-- this the biggest for public in denmark.

cost 19000 kr or 3166 dollars or 2375 euro

Heavyporker
19-03-05, 21:25
Dear Crahn in heaven...

you could run a whole freaking media library off that... never ever have to look at another DVD once that drive was filled up. Jeez.

Still, I kinda have to wonder about price efficiency ( price per GB). And that if the hard drive breaks.. you're shafted.

Anyways.. I want to be clear on this point... the AMD 64 bit cpus are NOT multicore, right?

So when the multicores come out, they will have a huge advantage over the current crop of 64 bit cpus?

jernau
19-03-05, 21:49
The largest generally available single drives atm are 400Gb.

I'm pretty sure the Lacie 1Gb uses four 250Gb units. I've not played with one so I don't know how it presents itself to your system (no of drives) or whether you can swap a single drive out and only lose 1/4 of your data if one dies. My guess is if one dies you're screwed which is part of the reason I wouldn't buy one.

Current AMD64s are single core. Dual Cores are now with some journos and should be available to buy in the next few months. Allegedly they will work with the current NF4 chipset mobos.

LOST
19-03-05, 22:04
the lacie 1tb and 1.6tb extreme external's are only 2U 5.25"
that is only space for 2 at a push 3 drives in there.

dont know ho wit represents itself to windows though. would have thought as a single large volume...but dunno.

the 2tb is a NAS box with 4 hotswappable bays (raid if you so wish)
edit: obviously 4 500gb ata drives. an example price = £2016.99 (£2369.96 inc vat)

jernau
19-03-05, 22:35
The 1Tb unit is almost 30cm deep and quotes the cache as "4 x 8Mb" so I'm pretty much certain it's 4x250. In fact I have a feeling that when it came out I read they use Maxtor ATA133 7200 units but I could be mixing up manufacturers as a couple of other companies have similar products to the Lacie ones.

Lacie themselves don't manufacture drives so they will be standard parts in there.

Heavyporker
19-03-05, 22:53
So, better to buy 4 250 GB hard drives and mount them in than to buy one 1 TB hard drive, right?

Pricewise, it'd also be cheaper, right?

LOST
19-03-05, 23:07
as jernau said..there isnt a tb hard disc. or if there is its kept secret ;)

biggest ive seen for sale is 400gb.

edit:you can get external caddies that support multiple drives.
still looking at 250 quid for your huge drive and 80-100 for the caddy. so its upto about £600 (approx $1152) to 'make' 0.8tb instead of buying one.
edit2: thats just a 2drive caddy that is usb2.0 and as naimex says: it will be powered so it wont drain your system.

naimex
19-03-05, 23:08
So, better to buy 4 250 GB hard drives and mount them in than to buy one 1 TB hard drive, right?

Pricewise, it'd also be cheaper, right?

lot cheaper pricewise, very very very much cheaper

the only "real advantage" with the other is that its put in an array connected externally (not wasting power from psu and not wasting mounting points in case)

Dirus
20-03-05, 01:13
LaCie is mainly used in the professional sector and is most likely found hooked up to a Apple PC. Their "LaCie Biggest F800 2TB" Drive is an array of 4 x 500GB drives.

darkservent
20-03-05, 03:35
Great stuff Jer.

Yea er I cant wait for them holographic discs theyll make any storage system look like little ants on the grass bed. But the only down side at mo with them is there Write Only discs. So its a permenant non changing storage.

Errrr... wots multicore processors and why they so great cause Ill probably wait for that shit.

Seven
20-03-05, 05:17
Errrr... wots multicore processors and why they so great cause Ill probably wait for that shit.

They are going to be great because when they come out the prices on the current 64 bit will start to drop. (I hope)

jernau
20-03-05, 12:54
Basically it's two CPUs stuck inside one chip so you won't need such expensive motherboards and memory for multi-processor systems anymore.

dark_reaper
20-03-05, 19:00
Great stuff Jer.

Yea er I cant wait for them holographic discs theyll make any storage system look like little ants on the grass bed. But the only down side at mo with them is there Write Only discs. So its a permenant non changing storage.

What is the update with the Holographic Storage Units. When I read articles a while back, i remember that they make Terra look like nothing, that Holographic storage will also be cheaper than a terra too. But I have not find any recent updates lately.

Morpheous
20-03-05, 20:00
Alienwares suck.

Alienware recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional.

darkservent
20-03-05, 22:59
Alienwares suck.

LOL..

The holographic storage is out for businesses but not commercially available, well not like to the average joe. You could get a hold of one though if u have the dosh.

Great so multicore will do away with the dual processors!!

Jesterthegreat
21-03-05, 01:41
average joe

O_o

just ordered my new mobo n gfx card...

naimex
21-03-05, 02:31
O_o

just ordered my new mobo n gfx card...

whats that got to do with joe? :confused:

Jesterthegreat
21-03-05, 08:59
whats that got to do with joe? :confused:

dunno... i quoted it cos its my PE's name... then threw in a totally off topic fact.

naimex
21-03-05, 10:20
dunno... i quoted it cos its my PE's name... then threw in a totally off topic fact.

fair do...

could you warn me plz next time ? :p

I have a tendency to get confused...

jernau
21-03-05, 10:37
LOL..

The holographic storage is out for businesses but not commercially available, well not like to the average joe. You could get a hold of one though if u have the dosh.
Where did you read that? Last I heard all the technologies in that area where at best in the proof-of-concept stage and a few were heading into vapourware.

IBM made some rather interesting claims a year or so back but also said they wouldn't be making commercial products for several years as it would kill other markets unecessarily.

Great so multicore will do away with the dual processors!!
Not really, it'll just move things forward a notch. Dual CPU mobos will have 4 processors on them. They won't completely replace single-core chips either any time soon. I haven't seen any pricing on the dual-cores yet (has anyone else?) so it remains to be seen how cost-effective they are at release.

mishkin
21-03-05, 11:27
http://colossalstorage.net/colossal5c.htm

Colossal Storage will be the only drive in the world that will be able to read any phase change disk with the capability of overwriting or infinitely rewriting data to any phase change disk by changing the internal molecular structure of the polarized atom dipole geometry without heat and cooling.

In clear text - This drive will be able to read and dvd/blu-ray/cd-form of media (They all work by altering the surface of the material by heating/cooling it) by changing the molecular structure of the media, which, according to the inventor, would make it possible to change the data an infinite number of times... Guess we have to wait and see :rolleyes:

darkservent
21-03-05, 23:56
Where did you read that?

Err I read a article on ZDnet or computerweekly. Let me dig out the website of the company thats makin it.

/edit http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-876822.html
The company is Inphase Technologies makin the Holographic storage. The article above is from 2002.

jernau
22-03-05, 12:17
Err I read a article on ZDnet or computerweekly. Let me dig out the website of the company thats makin it.

/edit http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-876822.html
The company is Inphase Technologies makin the Holographic storage. The article above is from 2002.
Hmm....

The press release section of their site is full of "it'll be out next week/month/year" statements and I cant see any actual saleable products.

triXter
22-03-05, 14:21
What a ripoff... and it's WITHOUT monitor even?!?

I just built myself a system which set me back about €3,300:

* Apple Cinema 20.1" TFT widescreen
* 2Gb DDR (2-2-2-5-1)
* AMD 3500+ 90nm (wanted a FX-55 really, but they are nowhere to be found plus the fact that AMD is releasing new high ends 90nm soon anyway)
* GF 6800 Ultra
* AcoustiCase, which is certainly better than that crap AlienWare is using. That is, if you don't like having an airport runway in your room (I doubt the AlienWare case is even remotely sound proofed)
* Standard things, wireless keyb, logitech laser mouse etc etc.

$500-$700 more and I have a second 6800U card on top of that.
To me, you'd have to be stupid to buy it. Even if I have money, I usually don't go around wanting to be ripped off.

Good grief!

Jesterthegreat
22-03-05, 14:30
as people said...

alienware is for rich boys with nothing better to do and no real computer knowledge :D

darkservent
22-03-05, 15:16
Well how abt Laptops, Anyone know of any Gaming ones, Ive looked at alienware and they seem quite good.

naimex
22-03-05, 20:14
Well how abt Laptops, Anyone know of any Gaming ones, Ive looked at alienware and they seem quite good.

well the only real problem with gaming and laptops are the heat they make.

::::::::::::::::::::::

Btw, can anyone tell me what were discussing besides the topic title atm? cuz i kinda lost focus on the multiple subjects.

(im serious, plz enligthen me with the topics in here)

dark_reaper
22-03-05, 22:39
The first product is aimed at professional video editing, effects and archival use, with initial production at the end of 2003 and full manufacturing in 2004.

Yay! right up my ally, and It looks like we will be getting it first :D . God I love this industry. And I already have a class 3b HeNe laser. A powerful sucker that I used for an Holography project a while back, and worked too. :)
Man I miss my ol laser table :(

jernau
23-03-05, 09:11
well the only real problem with gaming and laptops are the heat they make.
Power consumption is a bigger problem but the two are closely linked of course.

Heavyporker
29-03-05, 18:27
ah, thing about laptops' heat would be that they just can't shift air worth a damn. After a hour with my compaq presario (I'm so ashamed) I feel like a pair of ham roasts tied together.