PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing AO as a froobie?

trigger hurt
14-03-05, 21:28
Never thought I could get into a point, click, attack, wait and go get a cup of tea type game, but AO has me hooked. As soon as I am done moving, think I might actually buy all the expansions so I can make a noobie to get 3 perks before leaving the island.

Lemme know if you are on atlantean. Send /tell to Vanzant and we'll see about getting a decent sized team.

Skusty
14-03-05, 21:44
MY mate plays AO it suxor! :angel:

trigger hurt
14-03-05, 22:05
MY mate plays AO it suxor! :angel:

By suxor, if you mean:

-Has a population of more than 150 people at peak times
-Has low, medium and high level content
-Doesn't crash
-Has someone balanced classes, pvm and pvp-wise
-Is run by a company who appears to care about the direction of their game
-The company they hired to take my money actually takes my money and doesn't play the blame game.

Then yeah, AO suxor.

Terayon
14-03-05, 22:12
Played it, hated it. I only need one point.
-boreing

Nidhogg
14-03-05, 23:21
By suxor, if you mean:...
No, I think he means TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,TAB,Q etc.

N

Capt. Rik
14-03-05, 23:30

N

I'd never really considered playing it but purely because of that i'll never go near it :p

Inchenzo
14-03-05, 23:48

N

That's exactly the reason why i left AO...

Bananarama
15-03-05, 00:37

N

Rather than click, crash/sync?

Personally I'd rather play AO, as it seems they know what they are doing.

And see, they give expansions that make people join the game, not leave. They must be doing something right, perhaps KK could steal some of their ideas to stay above break even?

Jesterthegreat
15-03-05, 00:44

N

i played it before any expansions were out... quit because of what nid said.

tried it again when it started to be free... quit because of the same thing :p

:edit: @ above if you would "rather play AO" then go do that... close account, leave these forums and play AO.

idle threats are pointless

Lexxuk
15-03-05, 00:45
I got a lvl 140+ Engi and 112 Advy on RK2, damn good game tbh. They also really love their players, they gave me 3 CD keys to give to friends, the CD's included the original game, Notum Wars, Shadowlands and Alien Invasion (RRP about $50). (expired March 1st, I'll PM u a CD key to see if they still work though) - Which is the equivilent of Holger saying to every NC player "here are 3 CD keys for NC2, give them to your friend, they dont have to pay for the game, at all!"

They also have Item Tracking, and when you consider the database of items is 1.5GB, the fact you can have a Bag which carries, think its 38 items, which you can stick into your Bank, about 50 items? Cant remember, anyhow, item tracking when each person can have 2000+ items AND 7 Chars.

Varied gameplay too, in so many respects its a lot better than NC, NC though has the FPS aspect, and thats about it if we're honest.

Personally I prefer FFXI, got my sub class now, in a nice LS, leveling nice, and them cats, omg sex :D

Nidhogg
15-03-05, 00:45
It remains to be seen whether their new pricing model will work. Making a game free is bound to bring people in in the short term but will their in-game advertising model be viable? It's an interesting model to be sure. TAB,Q.

N

Lexxuk
15-03-05, 00:48
It remains to be seen whether their new pricing model will work. Making a game free is bound to bring people in in the short term but will their in-game advertising model be viable? It's an interesting model to be sure. TAB,Q.

N

Their new pricing model is not actually "free". AO is the basic game, thats what is free, if you want SL or AI, you have to pay for them, and the subscription fee, and of course you *need* SL stuff, like the implants, weaponry etc.. so the people who get AO and find they enjoy it are much more likely to a) try it and b) upgrade to SL and become paying customers.

The free model is also for a limited period of 1 year.

Jesterthegreat
15-03-05, 00:57
Personally I prefer FFXI, got my sub class now, in a nice LS, leveling nice, and them cats, omg sex :D

Galka Monk with Tank as sub... a monk with more health, and a taunty thing

darkservent
15-03-05, 01:13
erm not had a chance to play AO and wont cause after my FOMK and Matrix Online frenzy im goin straight to WOW once stock is replenised, but anyway wot do you lot mean abt the TAB, Q.

EQ2 are doin a partial year thing too with the catch that you have to be a subscriber to Fileplanet, so AO isnt the only ppl with this model by the looks of it.

Nidhogg
15-03-05, 01:22
Their new pricing model is not actually "free". AO is the basic game, thats what is free, if you want SL or AI, you have to pay for them, and the subscription fee, and of course you *need* SL stuff, like the implants, weaponry etc.. so the people who get AO and find they enjoy it are much more likely to a) try it and b) upgrade to SL and become paying customers.

The free model is also for a limited period of 1 year.
Actually, they signed a deal (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/24/news_6119195.html) that they hope will allow them to keep the original game free forever (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/14/news_6116397.html). Yes, if you want to play the expansions you'll have to start paying subscription fees but you can upgrade the client to Shadowlands and Notum wars for free.

N

/edit - typo

MkVenner
15-03-05, 02:17
i played it for a bit, i liked the whole plethora of armour and clothes...but i got bored of it in the end...had a rank 80-89 Warrior and Fixer

Gotterdammerung
15-03-05, 02:27
I've played it before and oddly enough this most recent time I picked it up was because nid told me he was playing as well. I have a free account and I've got a few characters to the lvl50 range on atlantean (circle of notum clan)but lately I don't have the drive to play any mmorpgs.

The game though is very well done, it's not as simplistic as some are representing it to be but it is the point & click style. Thats certainly not for everyone but on this last return to the game I found that the huge population, massive amount of content for players of varying levels, stable & well designed game and enormous physical scale of the game enough to make up for that.

The free basic version is enormous, shadowlands is larger then the basic version, alien invasion allows player owned cities (real scale cities with tall skyscrapers like you would anticipate in the future) and a whole new alternative combat with new weapons for all skill levels.

They have signed a deal as nid's provided the link to so maybe you'll see a few "alienware" billboards around but if it keeps the game free then that certainly can't be a bad thing.

I'll look a few of you up next time I'm on.

Sineater
15-03-05, 03:47
By suxor, if you mean:

-Has a population of more than 150 people at peak times
-Has low, medium and high level content
-Doesn't crash
-Has someone balanced classes, pvm and pvp-wise
-Is run by a company who appears to care about the direction of their game
-The company they hired to take my money actually takes my money and doesn't play the blame game.

Then yeah, AO suxor.

it may have all these things but i found the point click wait for something to happen fumble through self aim to self heal and controls that didnt make sense boring even with fairly good graphics and good game concept it was just slow and eventually boring

Bananarama
15-03-05, 09:03
it may have all these things but i found the point click wait for something to happen fumble through self aim to self heal and controls that didnt make sense boring even with fairly good graphics and good game concept it was just slow and eventually boring

Different people like different things. I know that some people don't like NC because of its FPS style. Personally I think thats what makes it special, but each to their own.

QuakCow
15-03-05, 09:52
ao was my first mmo, as such it will always be special to me, but on another note ao+nc = best game ever

MISS WHIP
15-03-05, 09:53
Myself and another clan M8 have being messing around with the Freebie
AOL for the last 2 weeks we both have an adventure of about lv 50.
Altough the PVP side will never be as good as NC the game content is massive.
Huge maps/all types of diffrent mobs/load of diffrent armour,weapon etc.
Although the learning curve is massive as your basic abilities effect all other skills down the line and you only get so many reset pts ie loms.

I still dont know what half the objects you can buy does :lol: :lol: as there is so much stuff.

ALL in ALL for a freebie ON-line game until 2006 its well worth a look.

Skusty
15-03-05, 15:07
My mate is playing AO because the world is bigger...in nc u can drive from mb to last doy port on like 10mins...i would like if ncs wastelands was like 3times bigger ( not zones just MORE ZONES ) :angel:

trigger hurt
16-03-05, 09:48
I've played it before and oddly enough this most recent time I picked it up was because nid told me he was playing as well. I have a free account and I've got a few characters to the lvl50 range on atlantean (circle of notum clan)but lately I don't have the drive to play any mmorpgs.

The game though is very well done, it's not as simplistic as some are representing it to be but it is the point & click style. Thats certainly not for everyone but on this last return to the game I found that the huge population, massive amount of content for players of varying levels, stable & well designed game and enormous physical scale of the game enough to make up for that.

The free basic version is enormous, shadowlands is larger then the basic version, alien invasion allows player owned cities (real scale cities with tall skyscrapers like you would anticipate in the future) and a whole new alternative combat with new weapons for all skill levels.

They have signed a deal as nid's provided the link to so maybe you'll see a few "alienware" billboards around but if it keeps the game free then that certainly can't be a bad thing.

I'll look a few of you up next time I'm on.

That's funny gotter cause I had an alt in Circle of Notum :p

atm, working on learning the game as the curve is fairly steep. Figuring out what skills do what etc. Hit lvl 40 tonight, finally squeezed into my carbonum and new plasma projector.

Like I said, until I picked it up and played it for more than 10 minutes, I never thought I could get into a game where I have to tab through targets and press a button to attack. But it's a matter of do I want to run around, fire and crash or click and wait.

And on the note of alienware ads ingame...I don't know if you've played in a while nid, but their all over Neocron and Dome of York too.

16-03-05, 13:48
AO was my first MMORPG which I left to play NC. I have a free account but after a very brief 'honeymoon period' with my free account I've not logged back in since.

My biggest problem with AO was the amount of camping, worsened by the infrequent spawns (18 hours in places) needed to get a item which doesnt drop anywhere close to 100% of the time just so your character didnt end up gimped (and an insanely inflated economy because of this)

AO is a classic example of a game with massive roleplay potential ruined by powergamers and devs with no backbone/direction.....

.....but this doesnt matter a great deal when the shits free :-)

(having said all that a part of me thinks they did the free offer just to put some players back in Rubi-ka because all the subscribers are in the shadowlands)

Nidhogg
16-03-05, 16:29
And on the note of alienware ads ingame...I don't know if you've played in a while nid, but their all over Neocron and Dome of York too.
I didn't bring up Alienware ads, nor am I complaining about them. My point was that the "free" AO is funded exclusively through in-game advertising. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing - it's an interesting strategy but it's yet to be proven.

N

trigger hurt
21-03-05, 21:32
eh, fact is they are using the "free" thing to get even more players.

Not sure what the player count is, haven't even bothered to check as each time I am on, there are at least a couple hundred people talking just in clan ooc.

They aren't using the ad campaign to fund the free deal, more like hoping the ad campaign can let the free deal continue. Either way, I'll be subscribing in the next month or so.

darkservent
22-03-05, 00:07
Been playin it for a few days now. Was kinda annoyin now that I understood wot TAB, Q was. But the first thing I ended up doin is gettin help from player (Extremely helpful, A guy spent his savings helping me). From there the guy that helped me got me into his clan and the clan kitted me up with so much shit, half of which I didnt understand but I'm takin it easy on it. Ive had temptations to go for the expansions but I'm stayin in the free offer cause if I had the cash to subscribe to the expansions I'd be able to play NC too. I guess what makes it fun is the people and not the game just like NC when I FIRST joined. Ah well Ill keep playin this till WOW is released again.

Jesterthegreat
22-03-05, 00:22
start is easy now...

kill shit and collect "sell me to shop" items (or whatever the name)

sell em til you can afford a full set of newcomer armour

join clan / the other thing

buy enough badges for each bit of armour

do weapon upgrade quest

get more "sell me" things

buy shades (if your a shooter person)

leave... live in subway til you get too high

do missions

trigger hurt
22-03-05, 00:23
I'm on atlantean. If you're clan side, send add Vanzant and Sunnyd to your buddy list and send me a tell. It should send em to me if I'm offline.

trigger hurt
22-03-05, 00:27
start is easy now...

kill shit and collect "sell me to shop" items (or whatever the name)

sell em til you can afford a full set of newcomer armour

join clan / the other thing

buy enough badges for each bit of armour

do weapon upgrade quest

get more "sell me" things

buy shades (if your a shooter person)

leave... live in subway til you get too high

do missions

first part, yeah.

But the shades give melee init as well, so they don't hurt to have... But, if you want to make some decent cash, grab the omni tech technical libary. I've seen em sell to omni tech folks for around 700k and to clan side for around a mil.

@ darkservant . if you want, pm me. I'll give you my vent info to use while playing.

LiL T
22-03-05, 01:52

N
hahah I remeber doing that in AO, the game its self has some nice cool stuff in it, I liked the mission system and some dungons.

NexusPlexus
23-03-05, 22:48
what i particularly enjoy(ed) so far about AO is that within the first week of me starting there, i was visited personally by three different GM's to see how i was getting along, and if i had any questions for em.
on my second week a fourth GM gave me a repeat visit.

this whilst being a freebie player?
having spent many years in the catering industry i AM impressed by the service.

i realise kk doesn't have the same volume of manpower at their disposal, but i do like the moment of attention afforded me.

hey, mebbe it's just me, mebbe its just pure coincidence or my supa karma or summi'n............

that said, for me nc still has it's unique style, i'm just waitin for a bump on the richter-pop scale ;)

trigger hurt
23-03-05, 23:11
what i particularly enjoy(ed) so far about AO is that within the first week of me starting there, i was visited personally by three different GM's to see how i was getting along, and if i had any questions for em.
on my second week a fourth GM gave me a repeat visit.

this whilst being a freebie player?
having spent many years in the catering industry i AM impressed by the service.

i realise kk doesn't have the same volume of manpower at their disposal, but i do like the moment of attention afforded me.

hey, mebbe it's just me, mebbe its just pure coincidence or my supa karma or summi'n............

that said, for me nc still has it's unique style, i'm just waitin for a bump on the richter-pop scale ;)

The people who visited you are ARK. They are volunteers, just like the GM's here, except they can't spawn items (yes, I know not all gm's can spawn stuff). Point is, they are people who play the game just like you and enjoy it. I've seen a GM in MC5 once. It was during NC2 beta and he was only there to show off.

Oh and one other thing. From what I've seen of alien raids and such, you really don't need a GM at all to have an event. If you want an alien raid, you just need to be able to afford the repairs and then you just drop the city's cloaking device and voila...alien raid.

Sineater
24-03-05, 03:41
Different people like different things. I know that some people don't like NC because of its FPS style. Personally I think thats what makes it special, but each to their own.
yeap whats the point of freedom of choice if there are no choices to make lol