PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Zones versus Anarchy Zones - any rhyme or reason?

BradSTL
13-03-05, 01:25
Is there any rhyme or reason to which sewers, basements, storage areas, and whatever are "hunting zones" (where you lose SL even for killing faction enemies) as opposed to which ones are "anarchy zones" (where you only lose SL for killing allies and neutrals)?

As best as I can tell, the only ones that are marked "hunting zones" are the Plaza/Via Rosso level 1 sewers, and the Pepper Park level 3-5 sewers. The level 1 and 2 Pepper Park abandoned basements are anarchy zones. So are the level 3 and 4 Via Rosso abandoned rooms. So are the level 4-6 Plaza abandoned cellars. So are the level 7-8 storage areas in the Industrial Area and the Outzone. So are all of the mob killing areas in the Dome of York, and in the Military Base.

So why do those particular level 1 to 5 hunting areas impose special penalties on PvP, and only those?

I ask this for two reasons. One reason is that it seems awfully confusing to new people, to each of whom the difference has to be explained when they bump their nose on it. But the other reason is that Pepper Park sector 3 seems to be almost perfectly designed for city-versus-city combat ... except that both sides can retreat to the level 3 and 4 sewers, where they can't be killed without the killer losing soul light.

I think at this point the "hunting zone" security is unnecessary, and what I'd prefer is for it to be removed at this point. Virtually all new people keep their LE chip in, because there's no benefit to taking it out; if someone takes it out by mistake (as I just ran into someone who'd done), they can put it back in. But if the whole idea of illegal-PvP hunting zones is to be kept at all, I'd appreciate it if it were a bit more consistent. What I'd personally suggest is to have only the Plaza/Via Rosso level 1 sewers and the Dome of York level 1 abandoned sidestreets be hunting zones. (Why those two? They're the "training wheels" zones where none of the mobs will attack until they're attacked, so they're obviously the ones that are designed with new people in mind.)

trigger hurt
13-03-05, 02:03
Is there any rhyme or reason to which sewers, basements, storage areas, and whatever are "hunting zones" (where you lose SL even for killing faction enemies) as opposed to which ones are "anarchy zones" (where you only lose SL for killing allies and neutrals)?

As best as I can tell, the only ones that are marked "hunting zones" are the Plaza/Via Rosso level 1 sewers, and the Pepper Park level 3-5 sewers. The level 1 and 2 Pepper Park abandoned basements are anarchy zones. So are the level 3 and 4 Via Rosso abandoned rooms. So are the level 4-6 Plaza abandoned cellars. So are the level 7-8 storage areas in the Industrial Area and the Outzone. So are all of the mob killing areas in the Dome of York, and in the Military Base.

So why do those particular level 1 to 5 hunting areas impose special penalties on PvP, and only those?

I ask this for two reasons. One reason is that it seems awfully confusing to new people, to each of whom the difference has to be explained when they bump their nose on it. But the other reason is that Pepper Park sector 3 seems to be almost perfectly designed for city-versus-city combat ... except that both sides can retreat to the level 3 and 4 sewers, where they can't be killed without the killer losing soul light.

I think at this point the "hunting zone" security is unnecessary, and what I'd prefer is for it to be removed at this point. Virtually all new people keep their LE chip in, because there's no benefit to taking it out; if someone takes it out by mistake (as I just ran into someone who'd done), they can put it back in. But if the whole idea of illegal-PvP hunting zones is to be kept at all, I'd appreciate it if it were a bit more consistent. What I'd personally suggest is to have only the Plaza/Via Rosso level 1 sewers and the Dome of York level 1 abandoned sidestreets be hunting zones. (Why those two? They're the "training wheels" zones where none of the mobs will attack until they're attacked, so they're obviously the ones that are designed with new people in mind.)

Because back in the day, people used to raid those areas that are considered hunting zones "sewers, cellars, etc" and kill noobs. People complained. To discourage people from pking there and stop people from whining, KK made it into a warzone.

Anarchy zones are pretty much the same thing, except you may or maynot lose SL/FS depending on who you kill.

BradSTL
13-03-05, 12:41
Yes, I remember why they were first created. And it was a much bigger problem back when we all lived in the same cities, and when you really did need to have your LE chip out to level. But neither of those things are still true. What's more, it doesn't explain why it wasn't applied to any of the other "dungeons" or whatever you want to call them.

Imagine this: You're fighting someone in Pepper Park sector 3. He's both an enemy faction, and red SL, so there's no way you can lose SL fighting him. He's down to almost no hit points and ducks into the level 4 sewer in front of Wendol Block Apartments to heal and buff. He gets bit by a rat, and dies. And because he died in one of the only sewers in the entire game that is a "hunting area" instead of an "anarchy zone," you lose SL, big time. So when his buddies kill you a couple of minutes later, your safe slot is unlocked, and you lose an extremely expensive rare weapon.

It's a fanciful scenario, but if you're close to finishing somebody off, do you really intend to not follow them down into that sewer and kill them? In Pepper Park in particular it's a really dumb thing to have it there. Besides, it's not like anybody much levels in those sewers anyway, since the abandoned cellars got implemented.

And if that's the justification, then considering how often FA sector gets raided and that there are no guards between the genrep and the nearest level 1 abandoned sidestreet, why isn't that sidestreet a "hunting zone"?

Jesterthegreat
13-03-05, 12:58
i guess its just they only changed the ones people bitched about.

either having all sewers / caves as anarchy or hunting would be good IMO

Bugs Gunny
13-03-05, 14:54
I think they all are.
CRP caves you lose sl, el farid, etc.....

l8m0n
13-03-05, 15:00
Imagine this: You're fighting someone in Pepper Park sector 3. He's both an enemy faction, and red SL, so there's no way you can lose SL fighting him. He's down to almost no hit points and ducks into the level 4 sewer in front of Wendol Block Apartments to heal and buff. He gets bit by a rat, and dies. And because he died in one of the only sewers in the entire game that is a "hunting area" instead of an "anarchy zone," you lose SL, big time.
Well you wont cos if he zones and dies you will not lose SL as long as you dont zone with him ;)

Bananarama
13-03-05, 15:08
Well you wont cos if he zones and dies you will not lose SL as long as you dont zone with him ;)

Was about to say that, lol.

There is only one way out of that sewer. And if you are on the side he is most interested in, chances are he will come out at some point.

sultana
14-03-05, 10:51
They are hunting zones

You wouldn't lose sl cause he zoned (as l8m0n said) even if you did zone with him (unless you then attacked him again, and was on positive sl).

You don't lose sl or faction sympathy for killing people on negative sl, ever.

:rolleyes:

Skusty
15-03-05, 15:04
Why is plaza and viarosso a lawless zone????????? Anarchy = Lawless, Resulution of suisitie... :rolleyes: