PDA

View Full Version : Server Merge?

Archa Ic
06-03-05, 00:03
I remember posting a simmilar thread long ago. And the idea was not liked. But look at it now.
But i feel that with the current number of players, this has to be looked over.

The numbers are low on the serv %. If we add the percentages at peak time including all servers we get about 70%. This would be great. A well pouplated server, with lots of different people, from different countries.
English, French, and Germans, this would cause some problems, technical, ect. But this would be more appealing i think.

A mega server, instead of small ones.

Would you players agree with that?
Would you Reakktor agree with that?

What do you think? Waiting for your answers/

Skusty
06-03-05, 00:05
The germans would spam Trade with germany, i wouldnt be able to play then

Archa Ic
06-03-05, 00:11
Well this could be solved by adding a few more chans. Trade French, Trade English, Trade German, Trade International.

This is just a detail :o

Mr Kot
06-03-05, 00:12
The germans would spam Trade with germany, i wouldnt be able to play then

no change there, then :D

LiL T
06-03-05, 00:14
The whole idea of merging servers would only come from people with brains, look at Eve-online ....

There are some people who want to live on servers like pluto with below 100 people online. But they are the freaks who should go play the sims or a single player game, I mean that btw FREAKS !!

[TgR]KILLER
06-03-05, 00:17
i can't read german nor french so no ty.. wouldn't be good.. cause like nobody would understand fuck all from what all channels are saying you need all channels for all country's and then you still feel playing alone -_-

Archa Ic
06-03-05, 00:21
Well i dont agree. We all have bases in english. So the english would win i think. But communitites would still be there. Exept instead of all the comuunities playing by themselves all would be together. And Neocron and the DOY would finnaly be populated.

And i mean in a cosmopolitan city, a lot of languages are spoken not only one.

LiL T
06-03-05, 00:30
KILLER']i can't read german nor french so no ty.. wouldn't be good.. cause like nobody would understand fuck all from what all channels are saying you need all channels for all country's and then you still feel playing alone -_-
There are over 9000 players on EVE's single server that all speak different langages. 9000 is just those that are playing... it is the best online game out there. People who play WoW can shutup befor they start the pops in that game are due to overating give it a few months when people relise its just another clone. Eve keeps growing and growing it won't stop the server pop continues to break the records every so often, with every new expansion which all have been free download's

Eve shows an example eve has a future

[TgR]KILLER
06-03-05, 00:48
then go play eve and ****** this aint eve if i wanted to play eve i would go play eve

LiL T
06-03-05, 00:57
KILLER']then go play eve and ****** this aint eve if i wanted to play eve i would go play eve I do play eve have ever since it was released there whole single server works fine with people who play it. Those that did not like it don't play anymore but the 9000 that do play it still, are happy they have people to play with. Honestly look at neocron and the server pops... don't try and tell me people are happy to play with 130 people on one server. Its total garbage even a operation flash point dedicated server can hold 64 players ...

/Edit the truth hurts... eve is a good game but so is neocron, in neocron something has gone wrong

eprodigy
06-03-05, 01:28
i had this idea also.. i like it very much... we only need Trade, Help, and OOC and there could be one for french german and english.. the main point of this is fights would be much better :) and there would be less "angry talk on ooc" afterwards if one clan speaks a different language.

this would also be great news for french players tbh :)

<3 A+

Nidhogg
06-03-05, 01:30
Eve isn't magical. It's bound by the same laws as every other online game out there in that the number of players supported is merely a function of the amount of data to be processed. The light that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

N

LiL T
06-03-05, 01:52
Eve isn't magical. It's bound by the same laws as every other online game out there in that the number of players supported is merely a function of the amount of data to be processed. The light that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

N Humm then explain the fact that when I fly into a hub system in eve, which is like a trading capitol there are more people in that one system than the whole of terra's population. That light never burns out it keeps growing and don't look like it is going to stop. I have seen battles with 100 ships involed its like one big fireworks display with peoples missles flying in all directions and ships exploding like in startrek.

I'm not saying I love it more than neocron there 2 totaly different games sci-fi and cyber-punk both of these I love. But eve has stuff worked out like a single server with large wars possible, in eve you don't have factions you just declare war on who ever pissed you off that day

Inchenzo
06-03-05, 02:07
Humm then explain the fact that when I fly into a hub system in eve, which is like a trading capitol there are more people in that one system than the whole of terra's population. That light never burns out it keeps growing and don't look like it is going to stop. I have seen battles with 100 ships involed its like one big fireworks display with peoples missles flying in all directions and ships exploding like in startrek.

I'm not saying I love it more than neocron there 2 totaly different games sci-fi and cyber-punk both of these I love. But eve has stuff worked out like a single server with large wars possible, in eve you don't have factions you just declare war on who ever pissed you off that day

The big difference between eve and nc is that nc has waay more data communication to handle compared to eve

LiL T
06-03-05, 02:10
The big difference between eve and nc is that nc has waay more data communication to handle compared to eve
I don't think so, but I don't really know if that is the truth ....

Same goes for you tbh you pluck that out you're ass I take it ?

Inchenzo
06-03-05, 02:15
I don't think so, but I don't really know if that is the truth ....

Same goes for you tbh you pluck that out you're ass I take it ?

nope, did my homework on it..

it's actually the reason why each server in neocron is limited to about a max of 1000/2000 playersfor each server (got bit of a mixed figure on this)

it's all cos of the FPS nature of NC

Archa Ic
06-03-05, 02:18
But Nidhogg, would a Neocron with 900 players on it at the same time hold?
Or is the 99% only something which is there to be pretty and the viable limit is in fact 50%?

And do you think, even if its not today's question, could be technically possible? Can one server hold the entire community? y/n?

LiL T
06-03-05, 02:31
In eve there can be over 10,000 players, all of them are on the same server and can move there ships around in any direction. Each ship has a different setup and resistances much like a neocron character ... many eve players have factory jobs running or research labs on the go. Items are being shifted about constantly in a database that much much bigger that neocron will ever get !! It has its own functioning ingame market with prices going up and down every month and its all caused by the players. Items don't vanish in eve-online you leave a cargo can in space its there forever, it don't just vanish like in NC. The server is tracking items and ships that have been left in deadspace since early retail ...

Neocron's servers don't handle anywhere near as much as the eve server sorry.

/Edit you could not have played eve for more than 6 months

/Edit 2 there server is capable of handling I think 30k maybe they said 25k anyway its much bigger than what they have now.

Inchenzo
06-03-05, 02:43
In eve there can be over 10,000 players, all of them are on the same server and can move there ships around in any direction. Each ship has a different setup and resistances much like a neocron character ... many eve players have factory jobs running or research labs on the go. Items are being shifted about constantly in a database that much much bigger that neocron will ever get !! It has its own functioning ingame market with prices going up and down every month and its all caused by the players. Items don't vanish in eve-online you leave a cargo can in space its there forever, it don't just vanish like in NC. The server is tracking items and ships that have been left in deadspace since early retail ...

Neocron's servers don't handle anywhere near as much as the eve server sorry.

/Edit you could not have played eve for more than 6 months

/Edit 2 there server is capable of handling I think 30k maybe they said 25k anyway its much bigger than what they have now.

i'd love to explain it completely sometime, but i'm tired and gonna go to bed,.. some other time k ?

Nidhogg
06-03-05, 02:43
Eve is essentially a naval simulation in 3 dimensions which means its movement data is tiny in comparison to an FPS. As I said earlier, it can't break the laws of bandwidth physics - lots of people moving slowly and infrequently vs. few people moving quickly and eratically. It's not rocket science (excuse the pun). Also, let's not forget that we're talking about two totally different games here that don't bear comparison.

As for the question given above, it all depends on player distribution. A single Neocron server runs on a cluster of many physical servers and so long as a single zone doesn't get too overloaded the server can withstand many players.

N

Inchenzo
06-03-05, 02:46
Eve is essentially a naval simulation in 3 dimensions which means its movement data is tiny in comparison to an FPS. As I said earlier, it can't break the laws of bandwidth physics - lots of people moving slowly and infrequently vs. few people moving quickly and eratically. It's not rocket science (excuse the pun). Also, let's not forget that we're talking about two totally different games here that don't bear comparison.

N

thnx nidd, saves me the trouble of explaining myself

Eckhart
06-03-05, 03:00
I don't believe this is a good idea. Think about it. 70% is all well and good, which is the server pop we'd be getting now, but what happens if INT release goes well? We'd turn into a WoW clone with queues and whatnot and queuing for ages isnt my idea of fun.

Then of course we look at the issue of language barriers. Personally I like the languages in seperate servers. I for one would be a bit annoyed if I got to TH, asked if there was a poker around, and all i got was a stream of a language i cant speak or understand.

I like the servers as they are. Lets leave them that way.

Fafhrd
06-03-05, 03:46
As for the question given above, it all depends on player distribution. A single Neocron server runs on a cluster of many physical servers and so long as a single zone doesn't get too overloaded the server can withstand many players.

N
Max number of runners in a zone is still 80?

Jesterthegreat
06-03-05, 06:49
i like the pops now.

MkVenner
06-03-05, 06:52
Max number of runners in a zone is still 80?
i thought it was like 250 lol, probly wrong, usually am :p

Jesterthegreat
06-03-05, 06:54
i thought it was like 250 lol, probly wrong, usually am :p

from memory 80 is (was?) about right

MkVenner
06-03-05, 06:57
from memory 80 is (was?) about right
well my memory is questionable at the best of time...lets alone at 5 in the morning lol

Skusty
06-03-05, 12:08
Sure, it would be nice with more people in plaza, doy and little more in TechHaven...But why dident KK set together Uranus and Saturn in nc1? Then saturn or uranus would been more populated :rolleyes: But terra now is like dead and all...miss nc1...welll sure sure more people Ok but i dont like germans because they are mean to me :p And they only speak Germany and if you try to make them talk English they just say " shut up " :(

Xylaz
06-03-05, 13:57
the idea is good and quite reasonable.

What is really killing NC is just lack of population. Some people would like to play with 40 people online? that's ok. But i'll take risk and say that the majority wouldnt be very happy about it.
We had the same situation on pluto before and i can assure you that if (when) server pops go down below 10% you will see lots of people leaving which will only make it worse. So even if u like the current server pops, try to think for a larger scale for a second.

Dont know what are KK release plans, but i doubt it will change much (at least not with the current bugs and c2p issues). We need more people and - as for now - this is the only viable way to achieve this.
More people playing = more people staying = more people joining

[ edited ]

Skusty
06-03-05, 14:09
KK blew it with nc2...BRING BACK NC1 AND PEOPLE WILL COME BACK! :D

oby1sky
06-03-05, 14:43
the only thing i just would like to . is not to see all the server merged.
Instead i think it would be great to have a new international server with 1 slot where everybody could choose to put inisde one of their char.
For exemple it would be great if kk would tell me to move one of my 4 char i got on terra to a new international server with 1 slot.
Something like a new pluto.
What i miss much infact is the way to play with just 1 charater.I started to dislike this game from whene i started to play with a server wih 4 slot.
Everything is too simple.Noone need Noone, just becouse everyone got all the charaters to do everything.The game is just a long seris of log off and log on.And every one do the some.becouse if yuo dont do in this way yuo dont have a pure combat char strong as all the others chars.
So yuo must do a pure combat char and yuor trade skiller becouse is realy hard to find a construct or a resercher on.
I loved the pluto way to play.
Instead I hate the way to play with 4 chars.
I realy hope that with the internation reliese kk will open a new server where everyone of us will be able to move one char.

MkVenner
06-03-05, 16:49
KK blew it with nc2...BRING BACK NC1 AND PEOPLE WILL COME BACK! :D
if im honest only thing i'd would be my camo PA lol....but thats implementable in NC1 any way :p

Monolithic
06-03-05, 17:31
Actually, I was wondering what the limits in Neocron were.

Both numbers of people on the server and people in a single zone. I recall some of the crash-happy stress tests in Beta 4 where everyone ran into a single zone for an event and the server would burst into tears :D

I've been in some pretty big OP wars in Neocron 1. Early on it would be well flakey, but towards the end of NC1 OP wars with 100+ would run pretty smoothly. Some epic NDA vs TA and then NDA vs FF wars went down with more people in one zone that you get in all of Terra these days.

So... whatsa limit?

Jesterthegreat
06-03-05, 17:39
think longterm about server pops?

ok... its only been released in one country so far. how about we think about int (UK) and US releases before you just say we need a server merge.

Archa Ic
06-03-05, 19:45
Maybe not a server merge then. But i like the idea of being able to move a character from one server to the other.
Even if its like in neocron 1, when we switched to neocron, with one belt this would be good.
Because i feel that some people on the now low populated servers want to move on the more populated servers, without having to go through the all process of leveling a character aquiring new rares, fortune, ect...

Morganth
07-03-05, 06:22
Talking of the International Release, when is it?

I think we should get an official date so that people can cancel their accounts until then and whatnot.

IceStorm
07-03-05, 07:26
If I recall correctly, the limit is in the 250-range (256, maybe), but the practical limit is 80. Above 80 or so a zone starts to have problems.

Jesterthegreat
07-03-05, 07:47
Talking of the International Release, when is it?

I think we should get an official date so that people can cancel their accounts until then and whatnot.

justlook in your local shopevery now and again?

i wouldhope company like Atari actually put it in shops, unlike NC1 :p

Heavyporker
07-03-05, 09:05
NC1 had crap distrubutor called........... damn. I can't remember. It was so traumatic I can't remember.

But I assure you it was a crap company.

Terayon
07-03-05, 09:28
I think it was CDV or somthing like that.

I dont know about a server merge. Maybe wait tell after int release and see what happens, but then again im not having to play with such low populations right now.

Jesterthegreat
07-03-05, 15:32
NC1 had crap distrubutor called........... damn. I can't remember. It was so traumatic I can't remember.

But I assure you it was a crap company.

I'm well aware of that... im saying that atari should do better :p

Morganth
07-03-05, 16:50
justlook in your local shopevery now and again?

i wouldhope company like Atari actually put it in shops, unlike NC1 :p

The only time I leave my house is for school, lol. I would have expected to seen it on at least one of the many games sites I visit.

Jesterthegreat
07-03-05, 17:39
The only time I leave my house is for school, lol. I would have expected to seen it on at least one of the many games sites I visit.

go out more...

Capt. Rik
07-03-05, 17:59
tbh NC works best with around 400 people max on a server - there's enough people online to provide tradeskills etc in a variety of locations. Most popular zones are filled with people.

in my opinio 900 people on one server would be crap - there's just not enough good levelling spots to accommodate all that - it would turn into the biggest gank fest ever.

Think 100 people queuing for Chaos Caves, 100 people queueing for MC5 etc...

Crazy Russian
07-03-05, 23:21
tbh NC works best with around 400 people max on a server - there's enough people online to provide tradeskills etc in a variety of locations. Most popular zones are filled with people.

in my opinio 900 people on one server would be crap - there's just not enough good levelling spots to accommodate all that - it would turn into the biggest gank fest ever.

Think 100 people queuing for Chaos Caves, 100 people queueing for MC5 etc...

i donno about these 100 people queueing for mc5 and such...i have never had to wait for mc5 ...rares from wbs and such wuold prolly be harder to get just becuse more peopl ehunting them

Digital-Talios
07-03-05, 23:37
I have played several games wherre there is just one server. It seams to me that people generaly huttle towards others in wich they have a common reference point ex. langauge, country of origin. I think it would be a cool idea if KK could do the following:
-ensure lag free enviroments with more then X amount of people
-creation of additional chat channels for ease of communications

Now what I think will happened if the servers were merged:
-More people on the server means greater demands for products or services, so higher prices will result
-Heavier camp site usage
-Heavier demand on rares and other valuable locales
-Laggy zones
-Lighting quick chat channels with text scrolling so fst you cant read it =p

It sounds like a neat idea but I would be skeptic to how well it would work.

Capt. Rik
08-03-05, 00:31
i donno about these 100 people queueing for mc5 and such...i have never had to wait for mc5 ...rares from wbs and such wuold prolly be harder to get just becuse more peopl ehunting them

You've never seen 100 people queuing because there's never been 900 on the server, sooner or later it would happen though.

I'm not against higher server pops I just feel the game plays out nicely at around 400-450

l8m0n
08-03-05, 01:22
20 more % and youll feal the lag, i rember a zone bug where in a OP fight if clan X zerged the zone at the same time with about 40 people the zone would crash kicking the OP owning clan out of the game there for the attacking clan would have the advantage. Dont want this to happen in p1 tbh ;)

Morganth
08-03-05, 20:04
20 more % and youll feal the lag, i rember a zone bug where in a OP fight if clan X zerged the zone at the same time with about 40 people the zone would crash kicking the OP owning clan out of the game there for the attacking clan would have the advantage. Dont want this to happen in p1 tbh ;)

I remember in NC1 you would lag if a large number of people entered the zone at once, then it would go away after a while. Nice giveaway of an attack though :lol:

zii
08-03-05, 20:28
Well i dont agree. We all have bases in english. So the english would win i think. But communitites would still be there. Exept instead of all the comuunities playing by themselves all would be together. And Neocron and the DOY would finnaly be populated.

And i mean in a cosmopolitan city, a lot of languages are spoken not only one.

i can read/speak French and English and I can get by in German on trade and basic OP work, so I would have no problem. It worked OK on Uranus when we had some German and French populations, and it definatly made it interesting!

Zii.

Original monk
08-03-05, 20:45
I remember in NC1 you would lag if a large number of people entered the zone at once, then it would go away after a while. Nice giveaway of an attack though :lol:

i think this is still the case :) , no REAL lag but you feel sumthing yes ... 9 outta 10 i notice when im hunting in a zone and someone zone's in .. especially if the zone was empty before ... in caves its harder to notice but you still feel it a bit

this is especially the case when i play(ed) on my old laptop :) but also on my current machine and with 6 mb/sec cabel i feel sumthing

you can also have it when a mob or person appears in sight ... even if you cant actually see em yet, but yust as good when a person zone's "in" in a zone

1 outta 10 its false alarm but when i feel a small interruption in the game while im hunting or leveling, for sure i go back and check it out :)

edit: sorryz for offtopic btw

Notorious Fish
08-03-05, 20:53

They are working on server stablity my friend

l8m0n
08-03-05, 21:46
They are working on server stablity my friend
lol they have been since beta, point? :lol:

Notorious Fish
08-03-05, 21:58
lol they have been since beta, point? :lol:

Well they are now working on IT HARDCORE for the int release.