PDA

View Full Version : Short Update

Nidhogg
02-03-05, 19:37
I'm currently chasing a number of issues and will post a full update when I have something conclusive enough to publish. In the meantime this was posted by RatBoy on the German forum (thanks to Beliar for the translation):
Hi,

I want to give you a little update about what is going on at the moment.

The Hacknet-Themeweeks:
As you probably already have noticed due to latest patch and the little information, the Hacknet is not our main priority at the moment.
We are intensively working on bigger problems.

CoDi works on the item-tracking and our other coders are continuing their work on optimizing the memory usage and the stability of the servers. The Outfitters are another thing we want to get to work.

I am currently intensively working on the newbie experience, which includes new missions and locations. There will be quite a few changes in the future.

The artists created and still are creating a lot of stuff for the newbie experience. However, these things also take some coding effort.

Of course, all these things do not make us forget about the Hacknet-Themeweeks. But we do not want to make you think that we are only working on the Hacknet while not giving out any information.
We will continue to intensively work on it once the current things are done. When that is the case, you will get a “real” update about the Hacknet-Themeweeks from me again. Just now there is not much to inform you about, apart from the things I said above. But we neither swept the Themeweeks under the carpet, nor did we forget about them.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

N

Inchenzo
02-03-05, 19:43
Good to hear something again, although i'm still curious when the international release is gonna be.

Btw.. i want binocuars ingame :)

Tostino
02-03-05, 19:45
That is good to hear that we are geting a new noob experience :)

LiL T
02-03-05, 20:01
Humm item tracking memory useage :)

Conduit
02-03-05, 20:03
Nice update. It sounds like you're working on all the right stuff anyway :)

Toilet-Duck
02-03-05, 20:27
NM just saw the other post in my thread. Please delete this post.

Original monk
02-03-05, 20:34
very nice :)

MkVenner
02-03-05, 20:42
cheers for the update

LiL T
02-03-05, 20:45
Why can't KK send out emails to old players like all the other games do such as Eve-online. If you send out a newletter once all this is finnished, people will come back to at least check out the new stuff. Maybe you could offer them another 10 day trial or add some free time to there accounts ^^

El Jimben
02-03-05, 20:48
Not a bad idea tbh

Mr Kot
02-03-05, 20:58
That's welcome news indeed.

As much as i am interested in hacknet and its theme weeks, i'm happy for that to be put on a back burner while more important things are worked on.

The newbie experience and content is going to be the make or break of this MMORPG once the international release takes place.

First priority for KK has to be "bums on seats" and a boost of income from curious newcomers. Once we have our foot in the door, we need them to stay. Once the newbies are hooked (on stable servers :) ) and recommending NC to their friends, then KK can plough their resources into the whims and fancies of the more experienced players.

Xylaz
02-03-05, 21:12
what's the current NC population at peak times? 11%? 12% maybe (at weekends)?
Hurry up

Seven
02-03-05, 21:13
That's awesome man, keep the updates coming even if it's small. :cool:

Richard Blade
03-03-05, 00:18
Sounds good.
This says to me that we will still get our value out of Hacknets little time in the Themeweek spotlight.

Oh, and the others things are good too. :p

Regards,
RB

-DM-
03-03-05, 00:35
Ty for the update Nidd, keep up the good work.

Its really nice to see that KK are finally putting out increasingly regular updates to community, and I think that goes someway to putting peoples minds at ease, that you guys aren’t forgetting us and going after all those new Aisan subscribers.

-DM-

Heavyporker
03-03-05, 01:59
Try 18% to 23%.

Much better than your numbers, xylaz. And no one has the right to tell KK to "hurry up"l.

LiL T
03-03-05, 02:35
Try 18% to 23%.

Much better than your numbers, xylaz. And no one has the right to tell KK to "hurry up"l.
We payed for a broken game with content missing and months later the content is still not deliverd we have every right to tell KK to hurry the fuk up

Xylaz
03-03-05, 10:24
Try 18% to 23%.

You have to play at different times than me it seems. For the last 2 weeks Terra pops have been steadily below 20% for me. Which doesnt matter actually, as this games is unplayable with a pop lower than 30%.

And yes, as others said before me, i do have the right (as a paying customer) to say whatever i want to say and, what's more important, i do have a reason for this.

Crest
03-03-05, 11:13
Thanks Nid ,

Any indication of time frames and dates ?

Uho
03-03-05, 14:02
Wonder what those bigger fixes are, anyhow i bet sumone allready posted it that
hacknet outpost room should have same settings as UG in outposts
so nibs like rez dogz cant log their hacker sittign next to terminal and login and press button when 3rd layer is down.....

correct me if im wrong?

imAchair
03-03-05, 14:17
when? :confused: cos im gonna make a apu soon would like to test new lvling places :D

Jesterthegreat
03-03-05, 14:37
Wonder what those bigger fixes are, anyhow i bet sumone allready posted it that
hacknet outpost room should have same settings as UG in outposts
so nibs like rez dogz cant log their hacker sittign next to terminal and login and press button when 3rd layer is down.....

correct me if im wrong?

your wrong...

HN shouldnt be needed for op wars... it only encourages zoneline camping.

:edit: @Xylaz: if its unplayable... quit.

i log on 8pm to 3-4 am GMT most weekdays... i only see the drop in action at about 2am.

Xylaz
03-03-05, 16:38
:edit: @Xylaz: if its unplayable... quit.

i log on 8pm to 3-4 am GMT most weekdays... i only see the drop in action at about 2am.

thanks for the advice, i'll consider it.

darkservent
03-03-05, 17:08
From the looks of it their working on things that need to be done in order for them to be able to put in the Big Hacknet Boss. So I guess thats why the Hacknet is on hold possibly.

LiL T
03-03-05, 20:14
From the looks of it their working on things that need to be done in order for them to be able to put in the Big Hacknet Boss. So I guess thats why the Hacknet is on hold possibly.
Or the euro release

Inchenzo
04-03-05, 11:11
Or the euro release

latest i read on that release date is 23rd of march

Dr Strange
04-03-05, 17:43
We payed for a broken game with content missing and months later the content is still not deliverd we have every right to tell KK to hurry the fuk up

Agreed

Seven
04-03-05, 18:18

I'll add to that..
We also had to give up 95% of our items, get characters sorted for the transfer which I had to do twice because of a month rollback and some of us have/had characters in limbo.

As for now, it "seems" like KK is trying to get some sort of a grip on things.

Zheo
05-03-05, 12:23
I'm currently chasing a number of issues and will post a full update when I have something conclusive enough to publish. In the meantime this was posted by RatBoy on the German forum (thanks to Beliar for the translation):

"coders are continuing their work on optimizing the memory usage and the stability of the servers."

N

By that I take it you mean the hidious amount of server transmitting problems that Terra has like oh say the constant sync and login problems I and some others get constantly? (although saying that is kind of a lie because there are the odd breaks). Btw thats for the update I don't mind problems so much as long as I know someone's doing something about it. It's when you don't get told because then you asume your being ignored... you know like when you mail helpdesk and they never re-spond :)

Zheo
05-03-05, 12:34
Try 18% to 23%.

Actually due to that nasty "free speech" thingy we have the right to say anything we like, whether or not KK listens is up to them, as thats there "right".

What people are saying is: We pay to play. We can't play why should we be paying? Which is fair enough, I work at a supermarket *gag* If i wasn't paid I REALLY wouldn't turn up every day to do a job I can't stand. As it is we have a neutral benfit from me working every day, they get a job done and I get money to pay everyone else so I can have a home + food, etc.

Atm NC is what can only be discribed as in the testing stage, they can't honestly say that with all it's problems it's "ready" to play because 80% of the time I can't bloody play so I'm paying 100% of my money for 20% of play which is unfair, if I paid 20% and got 20% of play that would be fair also if I paid 20% and got 100% of play then that'd be unfair to KK.

I understand their point of view they are working on it, but they've been working on it for a long time it seems to me it may never be ready, but that'd be a guess. Neocron is walking a knifes edge if they faulter too much they will fall and Neocron will be scrapped. Reakktors "parent" company will scrap it as they will deam it not worth the hassle, this happens in the industry with all the compitsion out there Reakktor is losing customers you just have to look at all the leaving threads to see that, it only becomes a matter of time when the cash coming in is out weighed by the cash going out.

As a company that is all they really care about, profit other wise they wouldn't be doing it.

I think they have their work cut out for them and I really do wish them good luck I'd love to see Neocron finish and I think if they finish it within the year "very unlikely" then will dwarf the other MMORPG's however if it just continues as it is they will lose to many customers to continue.

N3v3rM0r3
05-03-05, 12:40

TOO RIGHT!

is only camping!

think u played against FF , isn't it jester? :lol:

N3v3rM0r3

Nidhogg
05-03-05, 14:10
Zheo, will you please stop powerposting your connection problem on every thread you see. You've posted about it now about seventeen times and the reason why we're not fixing the problem at our side is because the problem isn't on our side. That's not to say that we don't have connection problems because it's obvious that we do, but not to the extent that you're seeing. Can you try connecting your machine using some other ISP to see if you have the same problems? (The reason why I think it's your ISP is because you couldn't even perform a tracert until you complained to them - who else reading this has ever been blocked from doing a tracert?) You have a thread to discuss your connection problem and I want you to use that from now on. We want to help you sort it out but we don't want you insulting us at every opportunity while we do it.

N

RDevz
06-03-05, 03:27
who else reading this has ever been blocked from doing a tracert?

Yes, I know it's a rhetorical question, but me, for one. My college's firewall drops ICMP PING packets on the floor. When doing a traceroute, I get absolutely nothing, as I can't complete the first request. :p

Yes, the firewall sucks and combined with the NAT that I'm forced to use horribly breaks the TCP/IP stack, but there's nothing I can do about it.

MkVenner
06-03-05, 06:55
TOO RIGHT!

is only camping!

think u played against FF , isn't it jester? :lol:

N3v3rM0r3
i always thought having control on HN @ an op was just going to be a major advantage, not the last defence...

like the difference between blasting open a door, or hiring a hacker to open it for you...

sultana
06-03-05, 10:27
who else reading this has ever been blocked from doing a tracert?
Me, though I have no trouble with connecting to Neocron. Besides the click the enter button 4 times before it lets me in. But once I'm in, I'm right.

edit: The click the button 4 times thing only happens in dx9, so I think it's more something to do with my dx8 (ti4800) card, rather then my isp.

solling
20-03-05, 13:14

yeh zonelike camping unlike UGs in ops and HQs in the city

TOO RIGHT!

is only camping!

think u played against FF , isn't it jester?

[ edited ]

sultana
20-03-05, 13:26
[ edited ]
You do know that the defending clan in hacknet has a huge advantage atm, in most cases.

Jesterthegreat
20-03-05, 15:29
lore...

do you think it would make the game less fun if camping the HN spawn was not possible?

if not then whats the problem?

enigma_b17
20-03-05, 15:37
[ edited ]

couldnt agree more

;)

only messin...

As for hacknet being involved in getting an op, I think it should be usable, but it shouldnt be just "click" the com and the op is urs. Possibly disable the logout function in an ops hacknet, just kick em out to the op gr if they try. And at least make the com some sort of hackterm.

Jesterthegreat
20-03-05, 15:40
couldnt agree more

;)

only messin...

As for hacknet being involved in getting an op, I think it should be usable, but it shouldnt be just "click" the com and the op is urs. Possibly disable the logout function in an ops hacknet, just kick em out to the op gr if they try. And at least make the com some sort of hackterm.

usable is good...

i still say make all 4 layers be done either in HN or at the op (althoug this would mean changing the HN layer to something more than pressing a button)

simplest way of implementing my idea would be to make the "button" into another hackterm. use it and you enter hack mode. that way you can do 2 layers in HN and 2 out, or all 4 in HN, or any combination... depending on how you wanna play it.

enigma_b17
20-03-05, 15:44
put all 4 layers in hacknet? eek

Dont think that would work, as it is with the last layer u dont even have to go defend ur op, just get every1 in ur army into hacknet and fend off from the last layer. The thing i hate about op wars is changing anything will usually hurt the side with less ppl alot more then it would effect the side with more.
mayb puttin 2 hacknet and 2 in the actual op would work better, I dunno it would take some further thought

Jesterthegreat
20-03-05, 16:03
put all 4 layers in hacknet? eek

Dont think that would work, as it is with the last layer u dont even have to go defend ur op, just get every1 in ur army into hacknet and fend off from the last layer. The thing i hate about op wars is changing anything will usually hurt the side with less ppl alot more then it would effect the side with more.
mayb puttin 2 hacknet and 2 in the actual op would work better, I dunno it would take some further thought

that would give you twice the opertunity to camp the HN zoneline (which is like a meter wide ingame)

and if a clan doesnt have the players to defend they cant expect to hold the op...

besides... im sure if they feel they are being zerged they will only ninja it back later
:rolleyes:

solling
21-03-05, 18:33
we have no problems even tho enemies have hacknet hackers so do we so i dont see the big fuss next u know u will wanna remove vhcs cuz one bomber kill a lot of people ( fight last night )

El Jimben
21-03-05, 20:24
I don't remember it killing that many tbh, most had the sense to stay in the UG but I might be wrong..

Jesterthegreat
21-03-05, 20:38
if a bomber camps the UG thats lame... but theres other ways for the defenders to get to the op.

HN camping theres 2 zonelines, both about a meter wide. and to get into the op's HN you have to go through one (or happen to be logged out in there i guess).

theres a difference.

Bugs Gunny
22-03-05, 11:49
if a bomber camps the UG thats lame... but theres other ways for the defenders to get to the op.

Lame??????? Next thing you know barreling and aoeing a ug is lame.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a bomber spot on above a ug?
I doubt many pilots can pull this off.

ROZZER187
22-03-05, 13:52
sounds kool :D

Jesterthegreat
22-03-05, 14:16
Lame??????? Next thing you know barreling and aoeing a ug is lame.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a bomber spot on above a ug?
I doubt many pilots can pull this off.

unless theres a single person on the floor who can tell the pilot where hes bombing?

its not anywhere near as hard as you say unless its just a pilot / gunner.

and personally i dont like AoEing any zoneline... but it happens. from both sides. i wouldnt dream of denying that