PDA

View Full Version : Please KK fix these fatals!

Toilet-Duck
01-03-05, 13:56
Any ETA on when these memory leaks are going to be fixed?
Im sick of fataling every single day espcially when Im fighting or when I zone into a diff zone, as well as my clan mates. You are fixing the memory leaks before the game is finally released in the shops right??

Any idea when they are going to be fixed in the next coming patches?

TD

Tantta
01-03-05, 13:59
whine whine whine.
btw duck i closed my account today, having a break from nc.

Jesterthegreat
01-03-05, 14:13
while the mem leak does indeed suck... i play for about 3 hours before i get to 30Mb and have to relog.

768Mb unbranded shitty mem.

i wonder if windows page file size has anything to do with the amount of mem it says you have ingame?

Bugs Gunny
01-03-05, 14:18
Yes it does.

I run nc on two comps (hey, i always have my own driver ok!).
One has 1gb of ram and gives me 550/1900 ish, the other one has 768 and gives me 320/1300 ish.

Dr Strange
01-03-05, 14:20
The game really sucks for memory judgement afaik I'm running 512 mb ram and yet ingame if I look at the fps/memory counter it most of the times has me at 900+ mb's and I am 150% positive I do not have a gig of ram. Even if it was taking into account the extra 64 megs on my video card which I doubt most games calculate into total ram amount, it still wouldn't come close to the 1 gig NC2 claims I have. *edit* and if it did take into account the page file, I keep mine set to fairly low, due to low end ram and low end processor speed, other wise it'd need constant refreshing more than my system could handle and more reboots. so theres no way its taking an extra half a gig from a page file thats not even allowed to be that size.

At 512 mb ram most games should be fine. I'm sorry but the engine of the game reminds me of Tomb Raider 2 almost...If this was running on say, the Half Life 2 engine I could easily understand 1+ gigs of ram. Don't get me wrong I love the look of the game, I don't need tons of eye candy to enjoy a game, but for the current year and the industry's advancement in graphics you'd think such a low poly, low texture game wouldn't require this much resource, even WITH a memory leak.

Honestly, I doubt they'll ever fix it. I'm not saying that to be negative but in the grand scheme of things they've got so much to fix and ADD that should be there or done by now. Not to mention didn't some GM (or Nid I can't remember) say that finding the cause of the memory leaks would mean editing millions and millions of lines of code which basically means "we cant do it"?

Jesterthegreat
01-03-05, 14:25
the other one has 768 and gives me 320/1300 ish.

thats what i get. is usually good for a few hours (or less with numerous alt+tabs :p)

Bugs Gunny
01-03-05, 14:34
Well i hope you don't have my geforce2mx400 64mb card cuz it SUCKS :-)
I'm surprised it even runs neocron 2 at all.

Jesterthegreat
01-03-05, 14:39
Well i hope you don't have my geforce2mx400 64mb card cuz it SUCKS :-)
I'm surprised it even runs neocron 2 at all.

mx? eww

never had a standard card :p

replaced my gf3 ti 700 with a gf fx 5700 ultra a while back, but its burnt out from idiotic overclocking :p

gettin a new mobo next week... then a gfx card... then some new mem... then a monitor

Skusty
01-03-05, 16:07
A fatal is a fatal :rolleyes:

Toilet-Duck
02-03-05, 16:23
This needs a *bump*

Dribble Joy
02-03-05, 16:30
The game really sucks for memory judgement afaik I'm running 512 mb ram and yet ingame if I look at the fps/memory counter it most of the times has me at 900+ mb's
The free ram counter doesn't just include RAM.

The mem leak thing is annoying, I don't see why they can't 'rollback' to the pre open beta phase when it didn't exist.

Bugs Gunny
02-03-05, 16:31
Duckman, this doesn't need a bump, you need more ram,.... and a good flushing :-)

enigma_b17
02-03-05, 16:52
The free ram counter doesn't just include RAM.

The mem leak thing is annoying, I don't see why they can't 'rollback' to the pre open beta phase when it didn't exist.

dont think they could do that either. If they leave it theyll get slated, if they rollback theyll get slated :P, need to find a middle ground lol

Xylaz
02-03-05, 17:12
yes! that's the idea!
let's rollback all the servers to the beta stage where memory leaks didnt exist! We would repair the corrupted database as well, missing items bug, green models, lack of hair, bugged epics, etc - all with one simply move :lol:

Dr Strange
02-03-05, 17:14
dont think they could do that either. If they leave it theyll get slated, if they rollback theyll get slated :P, need to find a middle ground lol

Well here's a start. The last few patches have done alot to fix bugs we've had since before christmas. but they need to prioritize, for example something like this order:

1) figure out why people are having all manner of items from rares to various gels and ammunition dissappear from goguardians, cabs and inventories.

2) memory leak fixes. devote everything to this.

Bugs Gunny
02-03-05, 17:14
We'd see rampant killings going on in the streets and people with le'd characters advertising other mmorpgs :-)

Genty
02-03-05, 17:17
We'd see rampant killings going on in the streets and people with le'd characters advertising other mmorpgs :-)

So it would be business as usual then? :p

Mighty Max
02-03-05, 17:24
Just on a sidenote:

xxx MB / yyy MB does NOT mean xx of yyy MB available.

It means xxx MB of physical RAM available, AND yyy of swap-space available.

Toilet-Duck
02-03-05, 18:17
Duckman, this doesn't need a bump, you need more ram,.... and a good flushing :-)

1gb isnt enough? O_o

If KK dont fix these bugs before the game is released in the boxed version I think ppl will just return the game :rolleyes: .

Ascension
02-03-05, 18:38
lol, if the 'FRE' was one thing they would of fixed it by now, there is thousands of lines of code to go through. Many different things cause it, so I suggest you learn to live with it..

Or Leave the game again ;)

Miss Naughty
02-03-05, 19:20
I'm a games developer and I've worked on around 7 games in the last 8 years, most of them have been console games. If we have a crash bug or memory leak we can't release our game, it just wouldn't get past the publishers testing department, let alone Sony, Nintendos or Microsofts testers. The idea of letting our customers play something that is unfinished, broken and bug ridden would be suicidal, the game would get panned by the critics and the public and publishers would probably stay away from us.

Maybe thats why server population is down to less than 300 even at peak times?

I'm guessing that NC2 will never get an international shop release, pretty much for this reason alone. What publisher would risk releasing a game that is going to get them bad press and grief from their customers? If I was a publisher I would expect these memory leaks and crashes fixed before I even considered releasing it.

NC2 is a great game, I hope it survives and I hope it gets a proper boxed release. Fixing some of these very long term problems would be a great step in the right direction.

Nidhogg
02-03-05, 19:41
You can see from RatBoy's message (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1772564#post1772564) that the coders are working on memory optimisation and server stability as a priority. We feel we've made great progress on the issue of FRE's since NC1 (I've even seen a sig stating 0 FRE's in NC2 and 14 in another "well known game" ;) ) but we're still committed to improving things further.

We're not ignoring the problem. ;)

N

Tostino
02-03-05, 20:31
You can see from RatBoy's message (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1772564#post1772564) that the coders are working on memory optimisation and server stability as a priority. We feel we've made great progress on the issue of FRE's since NC1 (I've even seen a sig stating 0 FRE's in NC2 and 14 in another "well known game" ;) ) but we're still committed to improving things further.

N
Back in closed beta I played for over 60 HRs in a week and a half and I had 0 FRE's and no mem leaks. Then the big patch to open beta fucked it all up.

Notorious Fish
02-03-05, 20:35
I reformatted my comp to get rid of all the spyware and shit. And now it seems that I dont fatal. I think I have fataled once in 2 weeks. So reformat... and no KK will not remove FRE... it what makes Neocron unique... loser

Monolithic
02-03-05, 20:42
I have both Win98 and Win2k installed (long story, but Win98 will be getting dropped soon as everything including *gasp* NC2 now runs under Win2k).

When I run NC2 on Win98 I get incredibly memory leaks. My 1Gb of RAM and a 2Gb swapfile partition got filled one time when I didn't restart for 4 hours.

I have absolutely no memory leaks under Win2k. I watch mem usage (alt-tabbing as even my 'alt-tab = black screen' bug has gone away). Under Win2k it does not go up. I even can get it to run for 10hrs plus on Win2k without FREs as long as I don't use the Citicom forums (guaranteed crash).
First time I've had Neocron without major bugs and I've been playing for bout 3 years. How do I find out how this devine 'no bugs' situation has happened? (and how many more ritual sacrifices do I make to the dark Norse Gods to keep it bug-free? )

Only odd thing I did is install it under Win98 into a shared drive and under Win2k I just start the launcher in the shared drive.

Xylaz
02-03-05, 21:15
(I've even seen a sig stating 0 FRE's in NC2 and 14 in another "well known game" ;) ) but we're still committed to improving things further.

N

its because this person is playing "well known game" instead of NC2.

Jesterthegreat
02-03-05, 22:10

doubt dj means roll back the char database...

just whatever they changed to make the mem leak (which as dj said) didnt exist in closed beta.

Notorious Fish
02-03-05, 22:12
doubt dj means roll back the char database...

just whatever they changed to make the mem leak (which as dj said) didnt exist in closed beta.

WTF... This isnt closed beta... you mean to tell me this games it retail? NO WAY LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES..

Sorry KK I still WUV WOO

Jesterthegreat
02-03-05, 22:15
WTF... This isnt closed beta... you mean to tell me this games it retail? NO WAY LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES..

Sorry KK I still WUV WOO

well its not closed beta...

you may consider it an open beta with a charge... but its not invatation only.

Monolithic
10-03-05, 01:51
This is weird...
Neocron 2 has been great... until this week.
Crashing all over the place, leaking memory like hell (mem use hit 1.6Gb when I actually managed to last 2hrs without crashing), synch errors and vanishing items all the time.
And I haven't changed a thing. Like what the hell?