PDA

View Full Version : problems with wireless network :(

[TgR]KILLER
28-02-05, 19:09
well installed the program to setup the AP on my normal comp works great everything setup..

installed win 2k on my lappy ( had xp on it but that wasn't really *cough* legal and had probs with it :/ ) so anyway installed a load of stuff.. then get to install the 3com wireless card.. and the system won't eat it just crashed 3 times while installing and now when i plug the card in my laptop just goes tudutudu and hangs.. can't do nothing exept reboot :(

anybody know what to do.. tried driver updates din't do f*ck all..

LOST
28-02-05, 19:18
get xp on it ;)

anyway. is win2k updated as much as can be ?
and isnt your new baby an amd64 ? *goes to check thread*

when you boot with the card in does windows have a hissy fit or is it when you plug it in ? dont know exactly what may be the issue - these things generally 'just work'.

obviously it is compatible.....killer isnt silly :p ....get xp back on it.

edit: yes it is a 64m, why waste it on win2k mate (ignoring the legality statement)
check for compatibility issue with 3com maybe ?

[TgR]KILLER
28-02-05, 19:28
checked 3com's wep site should work with xp 2k me and 98se..

why win 2k. got all my comps running on 2k.. and no good version of xp just a half cracked one but can't even install SP1 on it without crashing.

yes my win2k is installed.. got it so far my laptop doesn't crash completly no more when the card is in.. but now the manager program stuff doesn't work so can't get a connection going with the AP..

when booting with the card in... it doesn't boot lol.. at least the last 5 times it just hung up when booting with the card in.

LOST
28-02-05, 20:08
your dad or bro (or anyone) have a laptop ?

i liked win2k too...but had some problems getting xp and win2k being friends.
edit: does aound abit like the old modem problems that everyone and their cat used to experience...check irq's if possible ?

[TgR]KILLER
28-02-05, 20:16
nope first lappy in the house ;) i'm the IT man here lol.

anyway formatting again putting xp on it.. it SHOULD work with 2k but it doesn't i'll have to find some way to update my xp later then.. grrr 3th os chance since i got the bloody thing.. starting to annoy me know..

only because of the stupid network :/ and wanna bed.. 99% change it won't work in xp eighter.

no sound is normal i gues.. when ever i plug it in and out it makes that sound so.. if i plug it in pull it out right away and plug it in again it doesn't stall the comp but then it just installs it then give a code 10 error that it doesn't see the card and the manager program doesn't see it eighter then.. anyway its fucked :/

Dribble Joy
28-02-05, 20:26
*meanwhile DJ sits outside killer's house in a supicious looking icecream van hacking his wireless network* :P

LOST
28-02-05, 20:28
lol.

im sure someone will eventually log onto forums that knows something substantial about wireless 3coms ;)

btw. didnt think you should hotswap any pcmcia device (or most others).

edit: DJ my house and neighbours both have unsecure internet connections :p -just saves a visit to another country

Jesterthegreat
28-02-05, 20:34
*meanwhile DJ sits outside killer's house in a supicious looking icecream van hacking his wireless network* :P

one of the main reasons im looking into getting a proper ADSL router... ond not even considering wireless :p

LOST
28-02-05, 20:37
nothing wrong with the wireless aslong as you can apply restrictions by mac addresses.

if you can be bothered that is....seriously whats the chances of DJ actually siiting outside your house in a transit stealing your connection.

[TgR]KILLER
28-02-05, 20:40
jester.. as soon as i finally get it running it gonna have WPA (WiFi Protected Access) + mac filtering so will be pretty save ;)

atm you can try to hack it all you want AP aint conencted to the network :p

fun xp is back on.. card starts to install.. but comp goes to black screen halfway.. fucking pos :(

Tostino
28-02-05, 21:33
That happend to my old laptop, I had to take it back and get a new one to get it working.

[TgR]KILLER
28-02-05, 22:09
yea with the thing not working on win xp nor win 2k.. both just crash completly just after or during or even not installing at all.. or the card or the lappy is broken :'(

[TgR]KILLER
01-03-05, 23:15
well i thought i would update you people.. as i'm posting this from my lappy its working ;)

asked my m8 to drive to the shop. called em first explaining the stuff. and got another card a us robotics. this one works like a dream no problems at all. :D

LOST
02-03-05, 00:34
"woot" -as they say.

nice one matey.